Diablo® III

Shen, the jeweler - Who is he, really?

85 Night Elf Warrior
So, by the looks of him, and his conversations, many people have been wondering if he is Malthael, or some god, or even Demon.

I hope this thread could enlighten some ideas and give an opportunity to discuss his real role in future expansions.

Shen is a new character to the game, but according to his own, he has knows Zoltun Kulle, what makes him at least 300 years old, according to Tyrael.

He doesn't seem to have fear, nor is he ambitious despite dealing with so many money in form of jewels, and he does care about living the good and bad moments of life, regardless of their consequences. He seems surprised for some behaviors and seems to react differently than a human to some trivial day-to-day facts.

He doesn't answer directly when asked if he was a god by the main hero.

He seems to care about starving people who rob him for their own survivability.

What about you. Who do you think he really is?
Reply Quote
within the confines of the story of diablo 3, i say he is a nephilim..

but as for where the idea for him came from? someone at blizzard is a huge fan of the dragon lance stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reorx

Shen is pretty much a clone of Reorx.
the part that gave it away for me was when he mentions that he is hunting a gem. that changes shape. and it has taken everything away from him. and he is the only one that can touch it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greygem_of_Gargath#Graygem_of_Gargath
there is more when you read the stories but suffice it to say, Shen was inspired by reorx.
Reply Quote
Ohhh I hadn't made that parallel!

Thanks Lum! That's actually -very- spot on. No wonder I was loving Shen; Reorx was made of pure win, just like Shen. Maybe he is a Nephalem, or a God. Nephalem did have pretty long lifespans, after all.
Reply Quote
within the confines of the story of diablo 3, i say he is a nephilim..

but as for where the idea for him came from? someone at blizzard is a huge fan of the dragon lance stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reorx

Shen is pretty much a clone of Reorx.
the part that gave it away for me was when he mentions that he is hunting a gem. that changes shape. and it has taken everything away from him. and he is the only one that can touch it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greygem_of_Gargath#Graygem_of_Gargath
there is more when you read the stories but suffice it to say, Shen was inspired by reorx.

you know, I was thinking a dragonlance parallel as well, but not Roerx. No, I was thinking Fizban AKA Paladine. Both are gods in disguise(well, maybe in shens case), both appear bumbling and kinda derpy to avoid suspicion that they're a god, yet both are apparently very powerful(how else has shen survived so long?)
Edited by Blissey1#1276 on 5/23/2012 9:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Hmmm very interesting. I hadn't played this and didn't know about Reorx but it makes sense now that you mentioned and posted some links.

But it seems to me that there is more to Shen than a simple Easter Egg of Reorx or something. Probably he was actually inspired on this char but will play a similar role in Diablo's universe.

Shen mentions that the only ones that knows about Dirgets (the evil from his seeked jewel) are imprisoned alongside with him inside it. Then, how could he, Shen, know about this?

is there a way to relate Reorx personality into the world of diablo? In form of some other Diablo's character?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I don't think it matters. I like the fact we don't know.

Some things are just better when you're left to speculate, not known for sure.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
And that's why i created this thread....What's your speculation, then? lol
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I'm perfectly happy just thinking of him as Po's father from Kung Fu Panda.

Seriously, hearing his voice lit up my day. On the one hand you have so many people criticizing Blizzard for making the next Warcraft expansion a "Kung Fu Panda" rip off, and then on the other hand Blizzard is hiring voice actors from the movies and letting them use the same voice for Diablo.
Reply Quote
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
05/23/2012 07:51 AMPosted by Brunobyof
So, by the looks of him, and his conversations, many people have been wondering if he is Malthael, or some god, or even Demon.
I'm going with "god", aka one of the original Nephalem, alongside Rathma and Bul'Kathos.

Hopefully we'll get a good expansion out of him with a couple Acts worth of content.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
It could be Bul-Kathos himself! Or another Ancient that survived the war of the nephalem...
No other way he knows so much about ancient things.
Reply Quote
What is a nephalem, through conversation i was sure that Nephalem was another word for Human in diablo.

I believe it was tyrael who said that the Nephalem was mankind when he was referring to the story about renegade angels and demons creating sanctuary and having children.

Also Imperious calls the player a Nephalem at the very beginning of Act IV.

So if this is true, then why does everyone keep referring to them as a fourth race??
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Nephalem(I had to look this up too) are an ancient blood line of people created through the union of an angel and demon.

Since Leah says she isn't a Nephalem in Act I, I'm guessing the general common knowledge is the Nephalem blood in people has long since dried out over the generations.

Except for us. All five class "characters" are Nephalem, which I guess is what is supposed to explain how they can become absurdly powerful.
Reply Quote
The Nephalem are the original humans, born from angels and demons mating. Some of them grew FAR more powerful than either angels or demons, so the worldstone was used to dampen their power. From this point on, they are called humans.

With the worldstone destroyed in D2, some humans Nephalem potential has been released. Most humans, however, have not reached this so only the player character is referred to as a Nephalem.
Reply Quote
The man has had 11 wives.....whoever he is I want to be him.
Reply Quote
Just so you guys know, in Chinese, the last name "Shen" can either be a normal last name or the word "god". So the name "Covetous Shen" can be translate to "god of Covetous"
Reply Quote
The Nephalem are the original humans, born from angels and demons mating. Some of them grew FAR more powerful than either angels or demons, so the worldstone was used to dampen their power. From this point on, they are called humans.

With the worldstone destroyed in D2, some humans Nephalem potential has been released. Most humans, however, have not reached this so only the player character is referred to as a Nephalem.

There's a HUGE hole in that, all humans are indeed transcendent from nephalem, thanks to the worldstone, they became weaker and weaker as they were born. In order to be called a nephalem and have really any sort of power, you'd have to be one of the original nephalem.

You can't have a power "awakened" when there was been centuries of it being weakened.

here, I will have an immortal cookie on this table. it will never go bad. But I decide the cookie is too powerful, I will eat a bit in 1 year, again another year, again another year, sooner or later there is no cookie.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
in act four he refers to the Dirgest Jewel which imprisoned a guy named Dirgest. supposedly it happened when "the mountains were still young"

when the character presses him to answer who he really is, he makes some reference to him being an wise old man. it is very likely this is the former Angel of wisdom. or maybe he may just have been a former angel.
Reply Quote

Except the main characters of D3 ARE awakened nephalem.

citation or gtfo
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 07:20 PMPosted by mizredavni
citation or gtfo

You mean apart from just about every character calling them Nephalem?
Edited by majoro#1644 on 5/23/2012 9:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]