Diablo® III

Intended drop manipulation on Blizz's part

05/26/2012 03:23 PMPosted by Bashiok
Thanks for the post, Bashiok. Do you think that one area of concern that may get looked at is that people aren't able to gear up for Infernon Act 1, even, without going to the AH and spending a lot of gold. Is this intended (To gear up solely through the AH) or will the drops at the end of Hell be better adjusted to help gear up for Inferno Act 1 and so on.

The auction house obviously provides an incredible service to allow for very easy trades between characters, and essentially blows out the wide range of items you could have available to you at any one time. So, in fact, the AH has to be a factor in how we drop items. On one hand you have a huge benefit because you can buy and sell items very easily, as opposed to having to post up WTS threads in the old USEast trading forums, but on the other end it does impact the item pool economy with the inherent ease at which you can trade items. If the AH existed but wasn't a factor at all into how items dropped/rolled, the economy would be completely tanked within a matter of weeks.

Basically Blizz is admitting that in game drops are affected (read lowered) in order to facilitated the AH economy,except they don't take into account that we only have 1% of the playerbase.

Once again like i said early say that to the hard core players face!soft core had 30k people on ,hardcore had 300 .Out of those 300 guess how many are in hell farming?

Very, very few. It's Hardcore!
Edited by Peag#1269 on 5/28/2012 7:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You read to much into it, that means that the game is designed around the massive playerbase and its ok.
We here at hardcore might need to try a little harder, as usual.

Obviously the AH changes how the game behaves in terms of itemization, not trying to be condescending but that's not shocking at all. This has been discussed, search for the Thread and delete this one if you can, you will find a very large discussion there.
Reply Quote
Isn't this a repost? Could have sworn I seen this thread bout 2 days ago in the Hardcore section...

But the drop rate is fine... the only problem is the stats.
Reply Quote
He's right. This does kinda blow.
Reply Quote
Isn't this a repost? Could have sworn I seen this thread bout 2 days ago in the Hardcore section...

But the drop rate is fine... the only problem is the stats.

Yeah I reposted because of those pesky necro rules.

Thats what he means,good rolls are rare not the drops themselves otherwise the game wouldn't be fun at all.

@incugus

we have to try 10000% harder*,hardly a little.

*It's probably less but from what limited information we have we can assume they assumed their would be at least ~10k people playing at any given time.
Edited by Peag#1269 on 5/28/2012 7:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
We have a different AH than Softcore - perhaps then it would be reasonable to suggest that OUR AH effects OUR drops?

You don't understand anything about the system, and yet you're trying to speak with some vapid and presumed authority.

Stop posting this same topic.. over and over.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
The "AH affects the drops" statement is apparently being misinterpreted.

The drops do not dynamicly change based on what is currently in the AH. It is a general design concept that is being referenced (i.e. the HC AH and the SC AH being separate has absolutely no bearing on the drop rate of items in HC mode vs SC mode).

Blizzard made valuable drops incredibly rare because they knew players would be able to go to the AH to find good loot. If the AH did not exist, valuable drops would have been made more common (read: MORE).

This, in terms of game design, is a good move, because if valuable drops were more common AND we could find them on the AH, then valuable drops would lose their value incredibly quickly. Keeping the good loot rare, in light of the AH, requires the actual drop rate of good loot to be incredibly small.
Edited by Zephelle#1220 on 5/28/2012 8:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It's true. I geared up for NM and hit a point where I couldn't find too much better gear for my monk being level 53. I beat NM and am now in hell and still same thing. Gear I find is better than anything the AH has to offer me atm.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
05/28/2012 07:34 AMPosted by Peag

necro's don't happen for at least a month man.
Reply Quote
The "AH affects the drops" statement is apparently being misinterpreted.

The drops do not dynamicly change based on what is currently in the AH. It is a general design concept that is being referenced (i.e. the HC AH and the SC AH being separate has absolutely no bearing on the drop rate of items in HC mode vs SC mode).

Blizzard made valuable drops incredibly rare because they knew players would be able to go to the AH to find good loot. If the AH did not exist, valuable drops would have been made more common (read: MORE).

This, in terms of game design, is a good move, because if valuable drops were more common AND we could find them on the AH, then valuable drops would lose their value incredibly quickly. Keeping the good loot rare, in light of the AH, requires the actual drop rate of good loot to be incredibly small.

More unsubstantiated claims.

Read Bashiok's ACTUAL POST. He doesn't say any of this. Everyone is extrapolating. Making up facts and concepts of game coding when you don't actually know them is only hurtful to the overall communities understanding of how things work.

He alludes, roughly, to the fact that the game was designed with the AH in mind. Gasp. Shocking.

" If the AH existed but wasn't a factor at all into how items dropped/rolled, the economy would be completely tanked within a matter of weeks."

His use here of "A Factor" is very vague. One can't determine from this if the AH is setup to be a direct feedback to the game, or if the probabilities of item drops and rolls are simply tuned toward the less godly - instead of being flat random occurrence.
Reply Quote
ITT: the op doesn't understand how ratios work.
Reply Quote
11 Troll Hunter
05/28/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Crow
ITT: the op doesn't understand how ratios work.
Reply Quote
The OP doesn't seem to understand alot of things...

This is a very simple concept. The AH makes getting rare items easier. Therefore, good rare items are made rarer...thats all bashiok is trying to say...

In addition, there is no way the game is constantly scanning the AH, and changing drop ratios within the game based on what it finds there. Anyone who thinks it is clearly does not understand what a completely ridiculous programming feat that would be, and the impact it would have on game performance.
Edited by Zephelle#1220 on 5/29/2012 5:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
No dammit! I think 10 seconds is just fine for the disconnect and it doesnt have to be 4!

oh wait..

this is the other rehashed post creeping up from the dead. My bad
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Bashiok doesn't really say anything useful at all, it's just some vague hint that good items are rare. Looking at it in terms of SC, good level 60 affixes will be rare simply because they'll be in circulation forever, so they aren't going to put a minimum affix quality in place and you have to fight the whole range of variables on every drop.

Which is really depressing for HC's prospects in Inferno. Grind, grind, grind forever because it's too dangerous to progress without great equipment.
Reply Quote
05/28/2012 08:48 AMPosted by Zephelle
Blizzard made valuable drops incredibly rare because they knew players would be able to go to the AH to find good loot.

Seriously?

Good drops are always rare. Why play the game at all if you can cap your gear out in 2 weeks.

Less whining, more playing.
Reply Quote
It will be interesting to see what blizzard does with this. The SC community has significantly more people "farming" the high end content. The HC community has a much smaller player base. Because of the consequences of death, this gap will continue to grow. What this means is less items available on the Auction house.... creating a potential ghost town for high end items... and driving up the cost. Blizzard may tweak the drop rates in hell / inferno... but not significantly. They won't do anything like this until there is a lot of data in for them to analyze... and that data would need to show an overwhelming need for a change.

They've already mentioned in the next patch (not the patch being implemented today) that they are going to be looking into how to modify the damage dealt in Hell / inferno. Their intent is to have a constant drain on your health... but right now there are too many spikes that lead to insta-deaths. This tweak alone may solve the problem of quick deaths that prevent the proper gearing of characters.

I am still on Nightmare with my first character... but am looking forward to the challenges ahead. Blizzard says that most deaths occur people people aren't geared up for end game content. I'll certainly be taking my time. :-D
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
05/28/2012 07:34 AMPosted by Peag

A post that is still relevant is not a necro ever.

05/29/2012 09:46 AMPosted by Gumpilicious
Good drops are always rare. Why play the game at all if you can cap your gear out in 2 weeks.

The point is that the were made even rarer because the AH exists.

I honestly dont see your point OP.

Good gear is rare even with the AH because of the very small percentage of players farming Hell in hardcore. When more players start to farm then more gear will be in the AH.

Are you angry because your chances are 1 in 10,000 of getting a good rare? or that 10,000 people posting an item on the AH means you will most likely find the rare you want eventually.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]