Diablo® III

Zoltan Kulle the good guy/PC the Villain?

Is Zoltan Kulle the real (tragic) hero of the story?

He's certainly a lot smarter than every other character in the game, including the player character.

He calls everything right.

PC allies not trustworthy - check
Angels are bastards - check
Make humans all super-powered - check
Try and ally with us to fix everything - check

And then we kill him because we won't listen to him.

Stupid.

Zoltan Kulle was a good guy, no matter how many times Blizzard makes him laugh like Snidely Whiplash.

Killing him led directly the re-creation of the Prime Evil, who almost certainly isn't dead, and the loss of the Black Soul Stone, the only weapon useable against the Daemons and Angels.

So damn stupid.
Reply Quote
Agreed. The story is very shallow. We're introduced to a character as a bad guy and then we go kill him.

On a related note, how the hell did the souls of Diablo, Mephisto, Baal, Duriel and Andariel end up in the black soulstone?! We needed Zoltan to help us find the stone, not to mention we CLEARLY defeated these 5 in a different manner in D2.
Reply Quote
I thought the same after killing him....so damn stupid and makes no sense!
Reply Quote
Adria found traces of all the Evils if you payed attention. In addition, you can't really truly destroy them...they regenerate out of the abyss or something like that. Can't remember specifics. As for Zoltun, he wasn't really a good guy to start...mistrust of the past lingered to the present.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 09:52 AMPosted by Consulo
Adria found traces of all the Evils if you payed attention. In addition, you can't really truly destroy them...they regenerate out of the abyss or something like that. Can't remember specifics. As for Zoltun, he wasn't really a good guy to start...mistrust of the past lingered to the present.
I wouldn't call Kulle a "good guy", he was very well written and very undefined. He's certainly pro-human, though, and that is why he should not have been killed so hastily. Seriously hope he's not "dead" and is brought back for expansions. Kulle and Shen are the only well written NPC's in the game in my opinion. Both have an air of mystery and aren't so easy to define as "good" or "evil".

Adria, however, is proved to be evil right after the Kulle fight, and nobody seems to be the wiser. This lady bound the souls of the prime evils to a soulstone...... again....... just so we can break it..... again..... Because if it didn't banish them in Diablo 2, well maybe it'll work this time! Izual was right, Tyrael is a fool.

I've had a MUCH better time playing Diablo 3 now that I just escape out of all cutscenes and dialogue. I suggest everyone who cares about story do the same.
Reply Quote
Demons are like Angels, they reform after time. The soul stones purpose was susposed to force them to stay put. However, they corrupted them prisons and used them to channel their power.

Kulle was set up as a red herring. Everyone says don't trust him but hes the most honest. Hes by no means a good guy either. His goal with the Black Soulstone was to have the Heavens and hells bow to his will and his will alone. Although his goals are at least honest; that doesn't make them for the better good and make him a good guy because of his goals.
Reply Quote
Anyone else noticed how Kulle is voiced by the same guy who portrayed the devil in "Dante's inferno an animated epic"?
Reply Quote
Kulle was all set to become an awesome anti-hero as with just a few missions they really make him into a strong character. With him it wasn't about being good or evil (well... until he said "we can rule over all creation!") but just about regaining lost power that was unfairly stolen away. I think Blizzard really missed out, too bad they went down the path they did.

And if Kulle can't be killed being drained of blood and decapitated and left in the desert sands of god knows how many years, I don't think a 1 minute battle will kill him for good.

If he's permanently dead then here better be a very damn good reason. If he's not dead I hope Blizzard uses him better than being just mini-boss number 5.
Reply Quote
Kulle wasn't killed. He's getting better.

Expansion Class = Kulle? Please, Blizzard, Please.
Reply Quote
For an xpac I want to see tyreal recreate the horadrim, organize humanity into an army to lay the smack down to both demons and angels. Train new warriors to take the fight back to the high heavens and the pits of the burning hells.
Reply Quote
Kulle declared his ambition to take over the world, that's not exactly the sort of thing you tolerate from a powerful person such as him. Agree that he is a tragic case, but that's why he is referenced as direct example of how if you fight evil too long you are at greater risk of becoming it. Also, he's wrong about the angels being just as bad as the demons; such a false equivalency shows he has accepted evil. Maybe if he acted more like a decent person he could have joined the good team, but he was corrupt.
Reply Quote
Imagine yourself in your characters position. You've walked into the inner sanctum of the super powerful sorcerer who everyone repeatedly warned you not to trust. He tells you "Actually, your allies are all lying to you and you're being manipulated, so I'm not going to give you the soul stone. Instead you should work with me to conquer the word."

Do you a) Assume he's a tragic hero? or b) assume he's been manipulating you?

Admittedly, if Diablo's story had more depth I'd have liked to see Kulle stick around as our ace in the hole to deal with whoever was lying to us, but, whatever. Diablo games have always been very light on plot.
Edited by Ramenth#1258 on 6/3/2012 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Kulle is not dead, forever. Remember they threw his body and into the shadowed abyss and buried his head from his body and then samples of blood were located in tombs. I am sure he may be back especially if they had to do so much just to prevent him from returning.
Reply Quote
Imagine yourself in your characters position. You've walked into the inner sanctum of the super powerful sorcerer who everyone repeatedly warned you not to trust. He tells you "Actually, your allies are all lying to you and you're being manipulated, so I'm not going to give you the soul stone. Instead you should work with me to conquer the word."

Do you a) Assume he's a tragic hero? or b) assume he's been manipulating you?

Admittedly, if Diablo's story had more depth I'd have liked to see Kulle stick around as our ace in the hole to deal with whoever was lying to us, but, whatever. Diablo games have always been very light on plot.

The thing is, he actually was going to give the player the soul stone even after they refused to join him. What triggers the actual fight is when someone (which we find out is Adria) put the souls of the Evils into the stone and he knew what that meant (which you don't know until the end of Act III).

Kulle was definitely pro-Human but was bat!@#$ crazy about being an ultimate ruler. His journal entries show that everything he did was out of good intentions for humans and nothing like what Adria and the others made him out to be.

Read Adria's Journal about Kulle then read Kulle's Journal 1 - 4.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 09:52 AMPosted by Consulo

This Abyss is called Thathamet, and is the real "Prime Evil".
Reply Quote
has anyone else noticed that Kulle doesn't laugh as loud or it isnt as noticeable anymore? i think blizzard nerfed kulle in the face
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
In retrospect, Zoltan Kulle was probably the lesser evil. But Diablo has allways been a tragedy, and tragedies are about things going wrong, and heroes making the wrong choices.
Reply Quote
Zoltan Kulle is proof that Blizzard can still write compelling, memorable, and fun characters. With the exception of the choice to have every line end with that stupid laughter and the battle coming about in a rather nonsensical way, Kulle was very well done. The voice actor did a great job, there was ambiguity to his character that allows for multiple interpretations of his ultimate moral nature. He felt like an extension of the Diablo universe touching on many of the themes established in D1 and D2. Kulle can be viewed as a villain, a dupe, or a tragic hero depending on how you take his lines (again, ignore the stupid laugh!) I loved Kulle.
Reply Quote
I really liked Zoltan Kulle. I didn't know much about the backstory, and when playing on Normal he was like,

"Did you know know Angels cast a vote on the fate of humanity, and we were spared by only ONE vote?"

And it got me thinking, wow, most of those angels must've been jerks! Learning it from him was fun because its like this sketchy dude telling you something that kind of makes you question everything. I don't think we should've had to kill him as a boss it should've been Adria being in the vicinity, Kulle being like, "Oh wait, I know what you are planning [Herodude] look out she's going to *BAM*" With Adria going all blatto on him with the excuse of "If I didn't stop him he would've gone mad with power and Belial and Azmodan would've enslaved us all!"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]