Diablo® III

Battle.net SMS Protect

100 Human Paladin
So, with all the recent hackings going on lately I decided to add an extra layer of security to my account via the bnt SMS Protect. However, exactly 23 minutes after receiving a text from Blizzard saying that my "Mobile Alert messages are now active", I received my very first "spam" text (I didn't even think they made those, I thought these things existed only in emails and such).

The text said that I have been "randomly selected for a Free New Ipad3" by going to some dealchicken website. So, less than half an hour after putting my phone number "out there" into the wonderfully unstable world of human technology, I get a spam text? Really?

Btw, I do have both anti-malware and anti-virus protection, both scans have come up "clean" after running them both 3 times each.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Bump for Great Justice!
Reply Quote
That's exactly why I won't do the SMS Protect, because I know if my phone number goes out, I'll just be getting spammed texts all the time.

I'll just stick to the mobile authenticator for now.
Reply Quote
I have signed up for the SMS Alerts, but have not been sent any spam text messages since then.

Believe it or not, random text messages like that are just as common as random phishing emails. I used to get the occasional text about how "there is a problem with your account, go to {scam website} to verify", and it will be from something like "Credit Union", etc.

That being said, there are some services that will result in more spam texts being sent to your phone. Survey sites and certain subscription text services will definitely sell your number, but I highly doubt Blizzard would do something like that.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
That's exactly why I won't do the SMS Protect, because I know if my phone number goes out, I'll just be getting spammed texts all the time.

I'll just stick to the mobile authenticator for now.

It just seemed like such a good idea, I mean, getting a text the MOMENT something changes on my b.net account? That's great! Except now I guess I'm on some "list" to be spam texted by all these ridiculous companies and shady people. How does this even happen...*sigh*

I have signed up for the SMS Alerts, but have not been sent any spam text messages since then.

Believe it or not, random text messages like that are just as common as random phishing emails. I used to get the occasional text about how "there is a problem with your account, go to {scam website} to verify", and it will be from something like "Credit Union", etc.

That being said, there are some services that will result in more spam texts being sent to your phone. Survey sites and certain subscription text services will definitely sell your number, but I highly doubt Blizzard would do something like that.

I'd like to think Blizzard wouldn't, but it just seems incredibly fishy that 23 minutes after setting up my SMS Protect I JUST starting getting spam texts. Far too suspicious to pass off as coincidence.
Edited by Shorkshire#1850 on 5/25/2012 8:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have had SMS for about a week ... got a txt when i changed my password, other then that nada.

No spam
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Bump (this General Page goes by too fast...)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I have had SMS for about a week ... got a txt when i changed my password, other then that nada.

No spam

Idk, I suppose it could have been a coincidence, but the odds have got to be astronomical, or I might just be the unluckiest person on the planet. Spam texters could have picked any hour of any day of the week for the past year (thats how long I've this number) to spam text me, but they randomly decide to 23 minutes after I sign up for SM Protect? C'mon...
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Priest
Its probably not related. A bit ago I was tinkering with a program that would let you send SMS alerts to other gamers for in person games for match making. It used the web interfaces for the wireless providers to send text messages via the web. If I tweaked it I could have texted any random number and not the ones in the server database, just by spamming the site with random number strings till one goes out. Just like a robodialer hitting your home phone (if you haven't done the DNCL), your txt inbox can get cold called.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
05/25/2012 08:36 AMPosted by Daxius
Its probably not related. A bit ago I was tinkering with a program that would let you send SMS alerts to other gamers for in person games for match making. It used the web interfaces for the wireless providers to send text messages via the web. If I tweaked it I could have texted any random number and not the ones in the server database, just by spamming the site with random number strings till one goes out. Just like a robodialer hitting your home phone (if you haven't done the DNCL), your txt inbox can get cold called.

Well, I'm a pushover when it comes to things I know nothing about, so I concede. You're description seems sound enough, but if I do get anymore spam texts anytime soon, I'll at least give Blizzard a jingle.
Reply Quote
I had the same thing. I signed up for the Blizzard SMS service - as they recommended - and then next day I woke up with my first SMS spam. I'm starting to get very fed up with Blizzard. The downloader automatically uses your connection to upload data to other people (you have to opt out to change that behaviour) and now it seems they're selling phone numbers to companies that will spam you. Is there anything Blizzard won't do for money?

What am I supposed to do? I only signed up for the authenticator and SMS service to protect my account after people started getting hacked. You can't win.
Edited by jonastaylor#1613 on 5/28/2012 5:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/28/2012 05:10 AMPosted by jonastaylor
Is there anything Blizzard won't do for money?

Well, they won't sell your phone number, or charge anything more than "at-cost" for the physical authenticator.

There's that, at least.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I had the same thing. I signed up for the Blizzard SMS service - as they recommended - and then next day I woke up with my first SMS spam. I'm starting to get very fed up with Blizzard. The downloader automatically uses your connection to upload data to other people (you have to opt out to change that behaviour) and now it seems they're selling phone numbers to companies that will spam you. Is there anything Blizzard won't do for money?

What am I supposed to do? I only signed up for the authenticator and SMS service to protect my account after people started getting hacked. You can't win.

Two people does not a case make.

I signed up for SMS the day it launched and have not yet received a single spam text.

The downloader uses torrent technology to interconnect multiple users to speed up the transfer processes by allowing decentralized data transfer; I'm not sure how that counts as them doing something for money either
Reply Quote
It's a coincidence. Put your phone on a no call list then raise hell.
Edited by Zymurgeist#1185 on 5/28/2012 5:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Normally I would accept it could be a coincidence but I changed my number a few months back and don't give it out or use it with websites I sign up to. Yet I signed up for Blizzard's SMS service and within a day start receiving spam.

05/28/2012 05:14 AMPosted by Daionara
The downloader uses torrent technology to interconnect multiple users to speed up the transfer processes by allowing decentralized data transfer; I'm not sure how that counts as them doing something for money either

Rather than paying for the bandwidth costs themselves they use people's internet connections to distribute their content and do so by default, without giving any warning. Whereas other digital distribution services - like Origin and Steam - never do that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Mine started too, right after signing up. I've received three since then. Never had a single spam message before this. I'm also in Canada where text spam is uncommon and these are coming from the U.S.
Reply Quote
Its possible to send these spams direct from the phone towers so to speak, eg. they don't even need any numbers, it gets transmitted to all/some within range.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
05/28/2012 05:15 AMPosted by Zymurgeist
Put your phone on a no call list then raise hell.

Not that long ago, cell phones were on DNC automatically. They let that provision expire, so anyone who has one should register it with the DNC directory.

Spam sucks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]