Diablo® III

First Staff Of Herding Recipe wont drop.

Before anyone says 'keep trying' or 'Its a random drop' please finish reading this.

Staff of Herding glitch?

I have now killed Izual 383 now times and counting, normal, nightmare and hell, still no Staff Of Herding plans either I am THE unluckiest guy around or something is bugged for me.

I have already learnt the plans for Nightmare and Hell and Inferno at the blacksmith but cannot get the first plan to drop to make the staff, could this have been effected by learning the upgrade plans before the first ?

I have seen people with similar problems.

I have posted a ticket as well and they directed me here to put in my problem there is no way it should take more than 50 times to get the plans to drop let alone 383....

Before anyone says 'whats your magic find', It is not a magic item and I have even tried to take that into account having over 190% magic find.

Any known solutions ?
Reply Quote
05/28/2012 09:12 PMPosted by Disturbed
roll a new char....

Yeah I have done that too then realised that the alt has a shared Blacksmith as well as Jeweller so it still hasn't dropped on either.
Reply Quote
I have the same problem on my Barb cant get it to drop have killed him about 60 times on normal , but it seems that after starting nightmare this just wont drop. i have killed him in a party then my friend get it and i dont ...... i have all the other stuff but just cant get it to drop . my alt is almost there hope it drops for him
Reply Quote
So I had the exact same problem. I "think" this fixed it for me.

I had all of the pieces except for Wirt's Bell. Once I bought that, the plans dropped within 4 or 5 more tries. I don't know if that helps or not, or even if it had anything to do with it.
Reply Quote
This dropped on Nightmare Mode for me.
Which mode are you trying to get it on?

@Mesnik44: Doesn't matter AFAIK. I had none of other ingredients.
Reply Quote
This is not random, there is a merchant that you can buy that plains to make them in act 4 at the primal evil quest. They cost one gold. Hope you can spare that much to buy the plain.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
05/29/2012 08:36 AMPosted by ace700
This is not random, there is a merchant that you can buy that plains to make them in act 4 at the primal evil quest. They cost one gold. Hope you can spare that much to buy the plain.

Reply Quote
05/29/2012 08:36 AMPosted by ace700

You need a different recipie for each difficulty. The normal version is a drop only.
Reply Quote
I can confirm that I had already learned the hell and nightmare ones when I received my original plans. I was helping my brother beat act 4 and I got the drop randomly.
Reply Quote
The drop rate on this seems a bit ridiculous. If you are level 60 for some reason. I was running friends through Izual while trying to farm this and everyone I ran through received the plans on the first try. Meanwhile, I am still stuck farming this recipe for longer than I can remember.

I wonder if the further you progress in the game the lower the drop rate becomes or something.
Reply Quote
05/28/2012 09:07 PMPosted by Xed
Before anyone says 'whats your magic find', It is not a magic item and I have even tried to take that into account having over 190% magic find.

I wonder if having high MF could be part of the problem. MF makes magic items more likely to drop but doesn't increase the size of the drops so there would have to be a decrease in white item drops. The plans are a white item so perhaps having a really high MF could make it a lot harder to get.
Reply Quote
same problem for me; i m level 51 and decided to get every item now; i get all; but "normal" staff of herding do not drop for me dunno how many times i killed IZUAL; pissed off now; i am about to finish nightmare and bought the "nightmarish" plan; wonder if this casuing a bug or not?
Reply Quote
i think it IS an mf problem

05/30/2012 07:42 AMPosted by Lasolimu
I wonder if having high MF could be part of the problem. MF makes magic items more likely to drop but doesn't increase the size of the drops so there would have to be a decrease in white item drops. The plans are a white item so perhaps having a really high MF could make it a lot harder to get.

after 70 tries, i took off all my mf gear n did it 10 more times, and it finally dropped. good luck guys, i hate izual rite now with all my guts.
Reply Quote
i think it IS an mf problem

after 70 tries, i took off all my mf gear n did it 10 more times, and it finally dropped. good luck guys, i hate izual rite now with all my guts.

I was farming Izual for the recipe with a lvl 60 monk and had the same problem. I tried maybe 15-20 times. After reading this, I took off all MF gear and made sure not to kill any elite mobs on the way to Izual. Got it in one try.
Reply Quote
I've run Izual on normal about 40 times with my lvl55 wiz with no MF gear on and have had no drop. So, a question for everybody: have you had it drop more than once?

I'm worried that on my first run-through (in either Normal or NM) I didn't pick it up because it was white, and now it's not dropping because it only drops once.
Reply Quote
can confirm i had all nm hell and inf, lvl 60, all items and i got the staff in 4 tries. you must have a bug or realy realy bad luck. i don;t think level matters or difficulty or mf.
Reply Quote
I've run Izual on normal about 40 times with my lvl55 wiz with no MF gear on and have had no drop. So, a question for everybody: have you had it drop more than once?

I'm worried that on my first run-through (in either Normal or NM) I didn't pick it up because it was white, and now it's not dropping because it only drops once.

No it droppes more then once. My buddy and I beat him 52 times before he got it... I had about 15 of them. all normal difficulty.
Edited by Chow13#1601 on 5/31/2012 9:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]