Diablo® III

Game of Thrones

The books are incredible. and the series is exciting and exillerating! im only starting book 3 right now. anyone have any feed back on books 3+ ??? did you enjoy them? which are your favorites?
Reply Quote
A storm of swords was my favorite :) AFFC(4) is a little slower paced and mainly focuses on kings landing/dorne/riverlands. ADWD(5) starts out a little slow but picks up near the end it mainly focuses on the north and across the narrow sea(Bravos,Quarth,Mereen....Lots of Mereen...)

Books 4 and 5 actually take place at the same time with book 5 going slightly further in the timeline. you can actually read both books at the same time jumping from one to the other every couple chapters(I've seen a few lists online with reading orders) or read them seprately , but keep in mind the things at the end of AFFC haven't happened at the beginning of ADWD because they're storylines run concurrently but focus on different regions of the world

THere are some Major events that take place in book 3 and I don't want to spoil them for you but I know people who were almost brought to tears at one point(Well More than one depending on you're favorite characters)

I love the HBO series even with the changes/characters that got cut...even though I've read all the books 6 or 7 times(except for ADWD, only twice so far) the changes at least leave me with a small feeling of suspense :)
Reply Quote
Havent started to read the books, but the series are just freaking awesome!!! I cant wait for next sunday :(
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 06:51 PMPosted by crazysam
Havent started to read the books, but the series are just freaking awesome!!! I cant wait for next sunday :(

It scares me that there are people out there who hadn't even heard of the book series before the show premiered.
Reply Quote
Keldaris, have you read any other epic fantasy series? Or is a Song of Ice and Fire your first foray into the genre?
Reply Quote
PS

Does the mention of this series make anyone else hungry for lamprey pie?
Reply Quote
the series is good. And the books are good.

But the books arent godly like a lot of people say. I dislike the mans writing style and the way he likes to get reactions out of his audience (AKA every time you want to make your audience feel something, a main character doesnt have to die).

I read the 4 books about 3 years ago and i did not feel the urge to read the fifth one.
Reply Quote
06/07/2012 02:06 PMPosted by Geewoody

It scares me that there are people out there who hadn't even heard of the book series before the show premiered.

LoL yeah I was a bit late on the news ahahah
Reply Quote
the books have a significant lack of Emilia Clarke naked, a flaw the HBO series fixed
Reply Quote
06/07/2012 02:14 PMPosted by ArcticSwan
Keldaris, have you read any other epic fantasy series? Or is a Song of Ice and Fire your first foray into the genre?

I predominantly read Scifi/Fantasy :) And I love epics that span multiple books such as the sword of truth series,Otherland(a good blending of both genres), Riftwar saga etc...
Reply Quote
Honestly, I don't think I can get back into it after having read the first three and taking a break before reading the fourth. The world is just so dismal and George R. R. Martin seems to take delight at slaughtering his main characters for no reason.

He writes well, but his world just no longer clicks with me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
ACT 3 reminds me the crows
and ppl say there is achievement called "stark winter" in D3
Reply Quote
I have to thank the HBO series for letting me know of this outstanding series. I read GoT first then watched season 1, got hooked right away, read CoK to catch up mid-season this year. Finished ADWD a week ago and loved every moment. Book 3, SoS, is the best of the series IMO, so much happens. Cant wait for the next book!!
Reply Quote
Love the book series, but found that 4 & 5 were a little stagnant, like GRRM had to write those books, but really couldn't decide what he wanted to do with the main characters.
I am still looking forward to reading the last two, just to have some questions answered.
One other issue I have is the time it takes for him to write the books. I can understand that he would not be able to write them in a month, but he has already built up quite a bit of the world, so I feel that the rest of the books should be more about the characters developing.
Reply Quote
book 4 is the most boring piece of !@#$ out there, if you still consider reading it then let me give you a tip: skip the brienne chapters !
Reply Quote
06/22/2012 12:36 AMPosted by Tito
book 4 is the most boring piece of !@#$ out there, if you still consider reading it then let me give you a tip: skip the brienne chapters !

Brienne? Skip the Bran chapters!

Mate, I dont care if you are falling.

I am re reading the entire series now, while following the HBO series. Definately a lot you miss on the first time reading it. Also reminds you of how many side characters were cut out of the show (most justified).
Reply Quote
Brienne chapters are great. Dont know what tito is talking about. I agree with frollin. Skip bran chapters.
Reply Quote
I actually really loved reading about Jaime. He's my favorite character (even if he's a bloody Kingslaying sister lover). But my warnings? You got past the gut punch in the first book and kept going, so I'd recommend you grab a few bags of chips, a case of liquids, and say bye to your weekend. Have fun in Westeros.
Reply Quote
08/16/2012 02:21 AMPosted by Eklar
so I'd recommend you grab a few bags of chips, a case of liquids, and say bye to your weekend. Have fun in Westeros.

Hmm, sounds good.
Reply Quote
Book 3 was especially good, my favorite out of all of them. So much changes in book 3 that it kind of made the fourth book a let down, but that might also be because it was full of characters that I really didn't care about, namely Bran, and Sansa. It also had far too many chapters introducing Ironborn characters, which don't really advance the story much if at all. The main failing of book four is that it lacked Tyrion chapters, but I did enjoy the Arya chapters, though they were too few. Book 5 is much better, especially the Daenerys chapters.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]