Diablo® III

Simplistic Item System Analysis!

*signs

A shame that Blizzard, as proven, is probably not listening (oh they do sort of listen, but they seem to only half listen, and the truly intelligent pieces of proof that they have majorly screwed up, like this one, will likey go ignored. They claim they are working on fixing the items, but they can and will only do so much, and some of their solution may be extremely backward I'm guessing, if past "decisions" are any indication).

Here is an example of what I think they are gonna do to legendaries which I already stated won't change the overall issue:

Old Legendary (Random stats, just messing around)

35 Vitality
235 Armor
178 HP Regen per second
68 Strength
13 Magic Find
15 Gold Find

New Legendary (Rofl)

100 Vitality !!!! (UBER)
350 Armor !!!! (SRSLY?!?)
235 HP Regen per second (U BEN LISTENING 2 US)
100 Intellect (Where my strength go?)
21 Magic find (So we can find more of the same items, vitality, all resist, str/dex/int, single resist items)
25 gold find (So we can use the auction house and not actually go out and play the game)

Well, that is pretty much what I was implying. They are "listening" that items are broken...but probably not to the right people, and are likely gearing towards making a decision that needs to be made, but not with the right thought process in mind. Self sabatoging seems to be what they are best at these days, they must have lost too many people who know what the're doing outside of WoW.
Where did my +to all stats from d2 go? its on enough rares in the form of individual itemization slots.
Runewords and the other "broken" items didn't come out until well into the expansion pack, even the initial runewords in LOD were garbage...

Adding these flavorful items is an exciting detail the game, but it's premature to add them on release

I think it's safe to say that Blizz not only plans to, but already has the code written for several equally and more exciting items but there are still major combat mechanics being worked through before you give every class the ability to teleport, whirlwind, or double their hp.
Ive made absolutely 0% progress gear wise since ive hit inferno with my barbarian (past week and a half). I get too bored to farm for gold and nothing good ever drops to sell on the ah
85 Troll Druid
I do miss some of the stuff they did with items in dII. It does feel like it's a lot more definite in terms of gear choices now and the random extra stuff is a bit less interesting.

Here is an example of what I think they are gonna do to legendaries which I already stated won't change the overall issue:

35 Vitality
235 Armor
178 HP Regen per second
68 Strength
13 Magic Find
15 Gold Find

New Legendary (Rofl)

100 Vitality !!!! (UBER)
21 Magic find (So we can find more of the same items, vitality, all resist, str/dex/int, single resist items)
25 gold find (So we can use the auction house and not actually go out and play the game)

Well, that is pretty much what I was implying. They are "listening" that items are broken...but probably not to the right people, and are likely gearing towards making a decision that needs to be made, but not with the right thought process in mind. Self sabatoging seems to be what they are best at these days, they must have lost too many people who know what the're doing outside of WoW.

reading several bliz developer replies they will find some way to justify what has been made by saying something along the lines of "good", "idea", "but" "it" "would" "be" "too" "complex" "and" "confusing" "for" "the" "majority" "of" "players".
Edited by JPMT214#1117 on 6/7/2012 8:17 PM PDT
This needs to go up NOW!

35 Vitality
235 Armor
178 HP Regen per second
68 Strength
13 Magic Find
15 Gold Find

New Legendary (Rofl)

100 Vitality !!!! (UBER)

Only time will tell. There are a lot of things going on over at Blizzard. RMAH, AH bugs, general bugs, lag issues, hacks, exploits, game balance, class skill balance and tuning... Could be a while before we see item changes. 1.1 will probably hit in a few months. Since the next patch is 1.03, we have 6 patches before 1.1. Assuming 3-6 weeks between patches... Late September? (And that is just to see if they are making the "right" changes)
Chance to Freeze: [Belt: 5%]
Chance to Immobilize: [Boots: 5%]
Chance to Knockback: [Bracers: 5%]
Chance to Fear: [Helms: 5%]
Chance to Slow: [Pants: 5%]
Chance to Chill: [Shoulders: 5%]
Chance to Stun: [Gloves: 5%]
100% agree with the OP

We need to make some Blizzard employee read this thread.

If they do not change the item system to be more fun/interesting, the game may actually die soon. Well maybe not die, but a large part of the community may leave since there is no fun endgame without interesting loots to chase.

Diablo is a game about gear hunting. We need to be given a reason to hunt the gear. Now it is really only about getting extra 10 int and vit (wizard here).

Otherwise, I have to say that I really like Diablo. However, in order to keep me interested for a longer time period, they would have to change the item system.
As soon as you complete Act 1 inferno there should be a message that comes up :-

Please Insert Your Credit Card Details To Continue.
As soon as you complete Act 1 inferno there should be a message that comes up :-

Please Insert Your Credit Card Details To Continue.

There isn't a single item in this game that screams "OMG I need that item!". In Diablo II, people spent real money because it was soooo fun to have the powerful items.

TONS of chance on hit spells
TONS of aura's on armor for you AND your mercenary AND mercenaries were in multiplayer
TONS of chance on being hit items
TONS of cool mechanics that weren't required but helped mold your build. (Crushing blow for example)

List goes on...

Diablo III epic item would be:

200 Vitality
200 Strength
80 All Resists
50 Fire Resist
25% MF
25% GF

Boring BUT I can see where there design was and it has a lot to do with the skills (My guess). They might have thought since we get 6 skills and a lot of runes, items don't need to be as epic as Diablo II. Good try if this is true, but that isn't right.

If they did add more epic items and depth to the item system AND topped that with followers in multiplayer AND follower only items that are also epic, game would be a lot more fun end game.

Imagine a 4 player team with 4 followers (Can you say, 8-player co-op, sorta?)

Imagine all 4 of the followers having follower only items that had auras for the entire team that did cool stuff. Players would feel more unique than what they are now.
Conclusion:

I am having more fun making level 1 characters and leveling them up in co-op. Why? You can wear any item you find and be "ok". It's fun going around doing random events and quests. I can save up money and deck out a low level character in legendaries because at those levels, the random junk rolls don't matter and it's something fun to work toward.

Farming inferno for 8 more resists and 15 more vitality is boring. On top of that, I can't even use the skills I want to farm inferno, I am forced to use X and Y defensive stats unless I wanna chain die to kill a champion.

I enjoy the game, but I think it's true about the when you hit level 60. All you do gain 5valor and look for minor item upgrades and gold…etc. to sell for millions of gold. It is more fun as a low level and using items you find rather then going to the AH and buying what you need to “survive” a bit longer.

I think Diablo should stay true to Diablo. Randomize the Magic/Rare item that’s fine. (I don’t mind the idea that they are on par or much better then the Set/Legend items) Sets should have a "set" attributes and random which is currently is so that’s fine. But, I think when you place a NEW TERM like Legendary items they should be a step up or at least on par with the top tier Magic/Rare items. Otherwise it’s just legend of crap except for the storm shield and string of ears belt and maybe a few others but 95% legends are crap that’s just sad.
Is there any way how to get some Blizzard employee reply to this thread?

Maybe they could inform us if there is any kind of discussion inside the team about how to make items more interesting or if they consider the current state to be the final one.

I would be very thanksful if they provided us with any kind of information regarding this "issue".

I am a huge blizz fan and also a diablo fan which is why I would love this to be addressed.
Yup, it's the single-player MMO version of a great franchise. Bland items, cookie-cutter builds, flavor-of-the-month classes and absolutely no incentive for replayability, as you do not have anything to "hunt for". I'm sorry, but hunting for +5 Vit + 5 Int/Str/Dex +5Resists etc won't make my char anything different than it is now, just a bit stronger. It's not good enough.
There is a sophisticaiton and depth to the item drops that i think only a new expansion will have a chance to resolve ergo Diablo 2 LoD.
06/08/2012 12:50 PMPosted by Keef
There is a sophisticaiton and depth to the item drops that i think only a new expansion will have a chance to resolve ergo Diablo 2 LoD.

I totally agree with that, but what baffles me is... how in the world did they mess it up in such a way? I know it's not the same team which worked on the previous versions, but when you capitalize on other people's work, least you can do is your homework. No one there who really understood what made D2 "fun"?

reading several bliz developer replies they will find some way to justify what has been made by saying something along the lines of "good", "idea", "but" "it" "would" "be" "too" "complex" "and" "confusing" "for" "the" "majority" "of" "players".

Why would it have to be too confusing and complex while it has already been implemented in D2 and nobody complained. On the contrary, I believe that actually players' needs are evolving, so that they expect more complex/interesting stuff than 12 years ago.

Yep...exactly what I was thinking "misses the old rune system that they removed because Blizzard is apparently allergic to making a deep game with replayability.

Why would it have to be too confusing and complex while it has already been implemented in D2 and nobody complained. On the contrary, I believe that actually players' needs are evolving, so that they expect more complex/interesting stuff than 12 years ago.

Sadly, it doesn't seem Blizzard agrees with you, they only seem to know WoW and cash cow these days, and not how to make an appropriately dark game.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]