Diablo® III

So I was hacked as well today.

It seems it is of the norm now to be hacked on Diablo 3 sooner or later without authenticators. The typical response to being hacked is "buy the authenticator". But I have to question this: why is the hacking so bad to the point where it feels like it's mandatory to buy "supplemental" protection? Me and all my friends (expect one) and my fiancee were hacked as well. Is the Diablo 3 core security so fragile that by simply knowing your account name you're liable to be hacked?

I've seen posts saying that if you knew about the authenticator and didn't buy it, it's your fault for being hacked. But for someone who is extremely protective of their account, never being hacked on any other MMO, I shouldn't need the authenticator to be safe. I only play in private games, never talk in General chat (and this applies to everyone that I play with to).

So tell me, is the common compromising of people's accounts really just a blunder on our parts, or is there a big security flaw in the Diablo 3 systems which is allowing hackers to just free-roam and hack players as they see fit?
Edited by Chompey#1956 on 6/1/2012 12:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
the value of diablo 3 items and gold make it a huge target, specially because there are so many close-minded people who are refusing to get an authenticator
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5575469951?page=2#22

You only have yourself to blame, maybe your anti-virus too.
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Chompey
why is the hacking so bad to the point where it feels like it's mandatory to buy "supplemental" protection?

1. Because the number of players makes it profitable.
2. Because the habits of players make them targetable.
Reply Quote
Now if only they would ship the authenticators, those of us who are trying to get one could actually get it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
06/01/2012 12:09 PMPosted by Rothis
the value of diablo 3 items and gold make it a huge target, specially because there are so many close-minded people who are refusing to get an authenticator

Pretty much this.

And they are really good at getting your info. The usual "only go to trusted sites, don't do anything stupid" routine doesn't work anymore.
Reply Quote
Right, I can agree that Diablo 3 is probably one of the biggest targets for hackers. I'm just questioning though why it feels so guaranteed to be hacked without an Authenticator though.
Edited by Chompey#1956 on 6/1/2012 12:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 12:09 PMPosted by Rothis

Exactly. This has nothing to do with Blizzard security. You have to realize that the people taking gear/gold from everyone are probably all over this forum looking for people saying "I haven't been hacked and I don't have an authenticator". These, and other forums are making an already big target even bigger.

06/01/2012 12:12 PMPosted by Chompey
Right, I can agree that Diablo 3 is probably one of the biggest targets for hackers. I'm just questioning though why it feels so guaranteed to be hacked without an Authenticator though.

You answered yourself. It is just because it is one of the biggest targets.
Edited by Blackbird#1794 on 6/1/2012 12:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You could change your password frequently. It's almost like having an authenticator, but it's even easier to do. In fact, using no other protection, I changed my password as soon as I got D3, and I've yet to have my stuff taken. And I'm a DH, so you know I'm rich.
Reply Quote
Mobile Auth is free, its not a conspiracy to get you to spend money....
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
06/01/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Chompey
Is the Diablo 3 core security so fragile that by simply knowing your account name you're liable to be hacked?

They probably knew your password as well.
Reply Quote
You do not HAVE to buy an authenticator.

I would suggest doing so as you clearly cannot keep your computer uncompromised.
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 12:12 PMPosted by NinjaPirate
Now if only they would ship the authenticators, those of us who are trying to get one could actually get it.

2012 and you dont have a smart phone?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]