Diablo® III

Question about Provoke the Pack

I was just trying something out... I wanted to stack as much damage as I possibly could to see how hard I could hit with one spell, and I tried a few things.

I absorbed five souls, a given... then I threw on provoke the pack (pretty much the same level I got it), and I noticed that the damage did indeed increase, but that there was no visual indication for the buff whatsoever. Is this a bug...? Is it intended to be this way? It's a 30 second buff to your damage, and I was trying to see a few things about how this skill works, and didn't feel like taking notes and writing down all sorts of numbers in order to do so. (eventually I will end up doing this if the buff is intended to be invisible)

How many times can this stack? Potentially infinitely or whatever? You sac 4 dogs if you have zombie handler, and then what happens if you generate more dogs and sac them? I tried another round of 4, and I did NOT see an increase in damage, which bummed me out... but what about other dogs that get summoned randomly from all the different skills that allow this to happen?

Does the overall effect reset the 30 seconds of the buff if another dog is sacrificed? I am REALLY interested in this spell, but I don't see ever using it if the information about the skill is cloudy and unclear. When my five souls is NOT on my buff bar I look down for a second and notice a certain emptiness, and that reminds me to run up and collect a few more souls so I don't puss out on my damage output.
Reply Quote
I have no answers on the actual numbers, but I have the feeling that Blizzard capped the damage increase at 20% and that repeated uses refresh the duration. Don't quote me on that, though. As for the visual indicator, there is indeed (albeit, a subtle) one. Look on your toon's body when you use it, there should be a faint black "fog" around their torso.

It's part of my boss killer strategy. Summon four dogs, blast em on the boss, then pop off a now 20% stronger Haunt followed by a barrage of Spirit casts and army of Midgets.
Reply Quote
Ahh, very nice, I'll look for it later when I get home. Would still like for there to be a buff icon to see... Just since I already look down there because of Soul Harvest.

I mean it's not like a wizard's weapon skill, or familiar... they can just cast that every couple minutes to make sure. We actually sac our dogs... wouldn't want to sac without need, and wouldn't want to go too long without the buff, since we ARE dedicating an entire skills slot for pretty much that buff.

I'm going to see if the duration thing is true tonight too, if I have the patience lol.
Reply Quote
bump.
Reply Quote
any news, Tassadar?
Reply Quote
so i use this with my build and i have a few questions about it so i can use it better 1st i assume it does but would like to be sure if i sac a dog and summon some more right away do i and all my summons get the dammage buff? i would think they would cuz their attack is based off my weapon damage 2nd if i have the damage buff on and sac again will the second sac damage be increased because of the buff and if so does the buff have a cap or can i just keep increasing it?
Reply Quote
Unless something changed, when I used Provoke in the past here is what I noticed:

When you use it you get a circle around your feet. You do not get a buff Icon. If you explode more dogs before the 1st one has run out it simply refreshes the timer (just like if you consume more souls). So assuming you sac'd 4 dogs (with handler) you would have the 20% buff. Then assume you have 1 dog from some other skill/passive that triggered a dog and sac it. Your damage would decrease top 5%. Again this might need to be tested but as far as I remember, that is how it was for me. I know for sure I could never get more than the 20% damage buff (which makes sense considering 0 cooldown WDs would have unheard of damage).
Reply Quote
Unless something changed, when I used Provoke in the past here is what I noticed:

When you use it you get a circle around your feet. You do not get a buff Icon. If you explode more dogs before the 1st one has run out it simply refreshes the timer (just like if you consume more souls). So assuming you sac'd 4 dogs (with handler) you would have the 20% buff. Then assume you have 1 dog from some other skill/passive that triggered a dog and sac it. Your damage would decrease top 5%. Again this might need to be tested but as far as I remember, that is how it was for me. I know for sure I could never get more than the 20% damage buff (which makes sense considering 0 cooldown WDs would have unheard of damage).

This is all correct. I have tested this extensiviely, hoping to cheat by combining provoke the pack/circle of life/grave injustice to mass HUGE damage buffs, but, alas, it does not work. Re saccing dogs only replaces the old buff with a new buff that is visually indicated with a glowing circle around your feet.

Blizz seriously needs to upgrade thier buff/debuff info. It doesnt make any sense that they dont have a comprehensive buff/debuff system. Havent they ever played WOW?
Reply Quote
thanks you answered the questions i already sorta knew lol but i like to sac my 4 dogs and get the buff and summon another 4 right away i assume that my dogs damage is increased since it's based off my weapon damage which is now buffed after the sac but what i'd really like to know is if i have a 20% buff from the sac and summon 4 more dogs immediately if i sac them again would the damage from the second sac have the 20% extra damage buff on it or would it reset before the damage?
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 04:58 PMPosted by BrianRobinso
thanks you answered the questions i already sorta knew lol but i like to sac my 4 dogs and get the buff and summon another 4 right away i assume that my dogs damage is increased since it's based off my weapon damage which is now buffed after the sac but what i'd really like to know is if i have a 20% buff from the sac and summon 4 more dogs immediately if i sac them again would the damage from the second sac have the 20% extra damage buff on it or would it reset before the damage?

your second sac and any dmg skill will have the 20% buff.

The second round of dogs will do 20% more dmg if done with the buff still up.
Edited by Umbra#1460 on 2/11/2013 4:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
thanks i wasn't sure and it was a strategy i wanted to use when a boss was at low life to finish quickly
Reply Quote
It has a cap of 4 dogs at 5% dmg a dog. If it didnt cap imagine the dps a zero dog doctor could achieve
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]