Diablo® III

My account and my wife's been compromised.

* Both Have Physical Authenticators *

Good Day, I'm making this thread to see if I can get a better explanation since i might just be assuming things.

My wife was playing Diablo 3 throughout the night, I was sleeping, and suddenly she got Disconnected, could not log back in to the point of resetting the modem. Once she could get everything working, her account was Blocked due to suspicious ACCESS activity, by the way we don't travel at all or anything like that. She went through the password recovery process which was pretty fast and straightforward, and she logged back in, thankfully, everything in his account was fine. Also as an observation, we both have our own physical authenticator.

So I just woke up, she told me about it, and I try to log in on my computer, to my surprise, same story.

It's going to sound funny or cliché since a lot of people that have been compromised are saying the same thing (Which I must confess found funny) but i have my own buisness, which is a computer workshop, I won't say that i'm a computer genius or anything like that, but I am very aware of the security measures that one must take into account while using an internet-enabled computer.

Both of us are very very careful about clicking links, shady websites, file sharing, all those. And we have been playing WoW for several years now without any sort of incident.

Where I am going with this is: Even though our items were ok, and nothing was lost, it's implied that both accounts were ACCESSED, and that's the reason they got insta-blocked.

I'd like some insight about what happened, if possible even from a Blue, because this makes me extremely uneasy since we have Physical Authenticators.

Anyone had something like this happen?
Edited by Ragnarok#1605 on 6/7/2012 3:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
^
Reply Quote
I'd love some sort of information regarding this, since i feel pretty vulnerable.
Reply Quote
Yeah I had the same happen to me just yesterday everything was still there but my account was blocked for suspicious activity and i've had my authenticator for atleast 2 years now. I want to know why we are still able to be accessed. I too have completely cleaned and scanned and secured my computer as well.
Reply Quote
06/07/2012 03:43 AMPosted by Ragnarok
My wife was playing Diablo 3 throughout the night, I was sleeping, and suddenly she got Disconnected, could not log back in to the point of resetting the modem. Once she could get everything working, her account was Blocked due to suspicious ACCESS activity, by the way we don't travel at all or anything like that. She went through the password recovery process which was pretty fast and straightforward, and she logged back in, thankfully, everything in his account was fine. Also as an observation, we both have our own physical authenticator.

You were not compromised. You were locked out of your account due to an unusual login change. This was caused by resetting the modem. When the modem reset the computer obtained a new IP address. This new IP address was different than the one that you were not logging in from so the system locked you out as it thought that the account was being hacked. All you need to do is ask what it is asking you to do on the login screen.
Reply Quote
When i was playing around with getting this to run on all my machines, i got locked out too because i logged in rapidly on 4 different machines and since i have two cable lines coming into my house it was two different ip addresses.
Reply Quote
06/07/2012 07:38 AMPosted by Kraze
You were not compromised. You were locked out of your account due to an unusual login change. This was caused by resetting the modem. When the modem reset the computer obtained a new IP address. This new IP address was different than the one that you were not logging in from so the system locked you out as it thought that the account was being hacked. All you need to do is ask what it is asking you to do on the login screen.

The thing is, my IP constantly changes, either for resets or the fact that I turn off the modem at nights sometimes, and it's never happened before. And I know all I needed to do was to follow the instructions..... but thank you i guess.

06/07/2012 07:47 AMPosted by GhostlyCrowd
When i was playing around with getting this to run on all my machines, i got locked out too because i logged in rapidly on 4 different machines and since i have two cable lines coming into my house it was two different ip addresses.

This eases my mind a little, The one thing that has me worries is that the message Implies my account was actually ACCESSED, unless it's a new thing that the whole "Different IP" thing is more sensitive now?
Reply Quote
It is a bit more sensitive now than what it has been for WoW in example. I play both WoW and D3, and I get locked out of my D3 account more often than I do my WoW account.
Reply Quote
I think it was something to do with the servers last night mine did the same thing to me, just disconnected me for something weird. Wish I would have paid attention to the exact time it happened.
Reply Quote
You weren't compromised, it was just the rapid switch of IP after your DHCP license expired. Probably a high-subnet IP change as well, instead of a small one.
Edited by VincentLaw#1115 on 6/7/2012 9:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Is this IP based security measure only for authenticated accounts? If so, it shouldn't be, because it could have same me some PITA, and Bliz an incoming refund request. If not, then I'm really surprised that it wasn't triggered when someone hacked my account.
Reply Quote
I don't know exactly how the authenticator works, but if you both play from the same PC, it could be a MAC address commonality that was triggered.
Reply Quote
If your account was actually compromised/accessed you wouldn't have any of your stuff still. Trust me. It'd be gone.

It is most likely due to something Blizzard perceived to be shady when your modem was freaking out.
Reply Quote
Thanks a lot for all the input, gives me peace of mind.
Reply Quote
Do not worry that is Blizzard/battlenet scam trying to sell you authenticator for "better protection" of your account :) just reset your password and you will be fine!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]