Diablo® III

Critical Hit wizards

Criticial wizards r one of the most powerful builds in the game, I beat diablo inf with a dps orber in <6mins. My orbs crit at 37% chance- eg. If I get a 280k critical on a small pack of 4, i have done 1.12mil damage in 1 shot. Even if if spam 5, the chances are 1-2 will crit, demolishing elites act 4.
The main choice for critical hit wizards is between Oblit/celestial orb; celestial works on elite packs, you do less damage but an add getting in the way doesn't waste a shot, and celestial is better for mob control. However, obliteration orb is an elite killer, although it feels a little down-tuned.

T flux passive is so underrated for critical hit wizards. If you have orbs (obliteration or celestial), and arcane hydra (more damage than venom as venom stacking rarely works kiting-use venom if ur party play with a tank) your main spells snare 30% for 2 secs, and still do uber damage.
I personally like pinpoint barrier over an max ap buff (energy tap), you get less arcane power but; after you initially spam 1 extra orb with energy tap, energy tap is useless. It is much better to have 1 less on initial hit, kite and then let off orbs that crit more when u have enough AP for 2+. Tport fracture is also really useful for kiting, as it gives you a window against tougher elites to spam orbs, n get your crits.

& on venom hydra; overrated for what it actually does, good for non crit/snare wizards but if ur a crit wiz try arcane --> If you use temporal flux you get a much stronger snare and hit damage w arcane- allowing ur main hitter 250k+ orbs to charge. If you are against a group that actually needs hydra for added damage, you'll be line kiting, making venom pooling useless.

Critical arcane Orber
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cQRXSO!YUb!cYaYZZ

Critical arcane Orber dps (I use dps build)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acRQSO!XYU!caaYZZ
Edited by BrimstoneBal#6552 on 7/10/2012 12:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
I prefer meteor - star pact for low AP cost (same as arcane orb) and high critical mass procs. I'm also curious about your stats, how you survive past inferno act3 without diamond skin and your only escape is non-critical mass/illusionist supported teleport. Temporal flux 30% snare is nothing when you encounter fast mobs.
Reply Quote
07/03/2012 02:12 AMPosted by HunterKiller
I prefer meteor - star pact for low AP cost (same as arcane orb) and high critical mass procs. I'm also curious about your stats, how you survive past inferno act3 without diamond skin and your only escape is non-critical mass/illusionist supported teleport. Temporal flux 30% snare is nothing when you encounter fast mobs.

It's possible he used a different build on Act 3 and only started to use this build on the final act.
Reply Quote

35k vitality, 450 res, 2150 intel, 1k life per second & 5k armor w energy armor buff, 309% crit damage, 35% cc. I also stacked movement speed, I can keep just infront of fast elites (on a fast monster) while they are snared. Star p is way to hard to aim against the faster mobs, and its knockback will hit mob towards you on an overshot. Damage is high enough to keep anything off you and with elite kiting act 3/4 you usually only get a 2-3second window to spam, so low ap doesn't help that much. star n crit mass is a low dps spamming build

EDIT:
I've started using generic orber as main, diamond skin enduring instead of missile (same passives), def a stronger build for act 4 farming (act 1/2/3 facerolling) as you can cast diamond skin, stop and spam, then teleport n kite again. Ive tried similar with illusionist/skin on surv build, but without Astral pres mana regens way to slow for fast play pace.
Edited by BrimstoneBal#6552 on 7/4/2012 6:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
rabbi, yeh I upgraded gear n changed builds for act 3/4- but it facerolls act 1/2/3. I initially used venom hydra and blizzard
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Can I use this build if I am like lvl 30? I am new to this game and will appreciate all tips :D
Reply Quote
Can I use this build if I am like lvl 30? I am new to this game and will appreciate all tips :D

Yeh most of it will work well on a lvl 30. but maybe choas nexus instead of magic missile seeker at lvl 30. This build is mainly for inferno lvl 60s that r stacking critical hit damage/chance w 40k+ damage.
Reply Quote
View profile
07/03/2012 02:24 AMPosted by BrimstoneBal
Star pack is way to hard to aim against the faster mobs, and its knockback will hit mob towards you on an overshot.

Meteors don't have knock back effect.
Reply Quote
Meteors don't have knock back effect.

lol oops, but they are to hard to aim against fast monsters and don't have the 228% weapon damage/knockback of orbs (not celestial). Having that spam ability is useless without a gap to spam in. Better to use a spell that chews AP, n knocks off 1/3 of an elites health per crit
Reply Quote
I farmed act3 full with this kind of a build. Fast affix mobs wont catch you when

1. Temporal flux
2. Elites using their abilities instead of hitting ( like casting arcane sentry(
3. Scoundrel with cold dmg bow slowing for 30% multishot
4. Teleport - wormhole
5. High enought dmg to kill them in 1 or 2 teleport cycles (I had 83k dmg with 50% crit chance and 20ish arcane power on crit)

Didin't use hydra by the way. It did too low dmg for my liking

used:

Piercing orb
Arcane orb - celestial (super good in act3 siegebreaker trash clearing)
teleport - wormhole (allows you to separate hard elites from eachother and invu minions elite from his minions)
Energy armor - force armor (around 180 resists from int and 30k hp -> this gives me the ability to tank at least 2 hits, ususally couple weaker hits and 2 bigger hits.)
Sparkflint -dmg
force weapon -dmg

Later I replaced celestial orb with wicked wind and teleport with diamondskin and started using the broken wicked wind / diamond skin / critical mass / infinite ap build, but that build is 100% abuse and will most likely get nerfed.
Edited by Tooshy#2419 on 7/3/2012 3:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
07/03/2012 02:55 AMPosted by BrimstoneBal

Yeh most of it will work well on a lvl 30. but maybe choas nexus instead of magic missile seeker at lvl 30. This build is mainly for inferno lvl 60s that r stacking critical hit damage/chance w 40k+ damage.

Thanks for your respond. I might ask you some question once I hit 60 (It won't happen this month since I can play 1 or 2 hours per day)
Reply Quote
Can you post your gear? I used similar build a while back and had trouble with ranged elites.
Reply Quote
well after they nerfed ias the only way to make a dps wiz is to go crit dmg+cc,with ias on some pieces :)

i'm using that build also btw, never was a big fan of blizz/veno... and that's it the variety of a wiz - 2 effective builds and some melee/archon abominations :)
Reply Quote
Can you post your gear? I used similar build a while back and had trouble with ranged elites.

Helm; 210intel, crit chance 4.5, all res 49, arcane res 54
Chest; triple socket (star topaz), 100int, 540 life regen
Belt; 170int, 98vit, 4% life, res
Pants; double socket (star topaz), 140 int (232 w stars), 170 vit
Boots; 250 life regen, 126 int, 12 movement speed and str
Weapon;Wand 750dps , 90% crit damage& socket (flawless star em); 170% wep crit dam,+10 ap
Source; 306 damage, 13 arcane power, 7 crit chance on orbs, arcane on crits
Rings;
1; 30% crit damage 3.5 chance, 7% life, min damage buff, 55 all res
2; socket 206 intel, 7% life
Ammy; 226intel, 70 vit, 60% crit dam, socket (star topaz)
Shoulders; 160int, 109 str, 160+ vit, res
Gloves; 230 int, 130vit, 51 all res, 8% cc
Bracers; 165 intel, 4% crit chance, 60 res

those r the major stats on gear, some str/dex/regen n +armor also. Ive just tried to keep damage up with decent res/vit pool so decoys survive longer (get a % of ur life). Take 4-5 hits act 4 from ranged. Seeker/hydra/longshotting orbs is my main attack against ranged elites so u can stay along way off
Edited by BrimstoneBal#6552 on 7/4/2012 6:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
83 Human Paladin
Are the stats stated above also viable for a blizzard/hydra spec?
Reply Quote
Are the stats stated above also viable for a blizzard/hydra spec?

yep, it still works with blizzard but your adding another ap/mana user, so u may get swamped if u don't have enough ap left for blizz. Blizzard also chews ap, which u need for ur 1 main ap user; orbs. Main point of using temporal flux is so u don't need blizzard to slow.
Edited by BrimstoneBal#6552 on 7/4/2012 6:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
83 Human Paladin
Thanks Brimstone:

- I was more concerned with the stats - crit dmg/crit chance, int, vit, resist. Are these viable for a blizzard/hydra spec? Changing around the passive of courses. Probably cold blooded,galy ward, blur.
Reply Quote
Kind of curious what your AP on Crit is? The stats you list only show you having it on your Source. How much exactly is on that source and how well does it keep your AP pool going? I think if I remember right 15 AP on Crit was the target for most Wizards but since Source caps out at 10 it seems you're running a bit less than that (assuming your AP on Crit on that source isn't maxed out).

P.S. Thanks in advance :)
Edited by ikillu#1612 on 7/3/2012 5:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Lost all credibility due to the use of "mana regen".
Reply Quote
Kind of curious what your AP on Crit is? The stats you list only show you having it on your Source. How much exactly is on that source and how well does it keep your AP pool going? I think if I remember right 15 AP on Crit was the target for most Wizards but since Source caps out at 10 it seems you're running a bit less than that (assuming your AP on Crit on that source isn't maxed out).

P.S. Thanks in advance :)

I am using a crit wizard build, right now I have 46% crit at 210% dmg on crit. I am a melee wiz, but the idea is the same, the more you crit the better. I think getting 7 crit on hit on a helm and 7-8 crit on hit on source is plenty.

tl; dr - get 14AP on crit hits
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]