Diablo® III

$1190.46 & counting, From RMAH to charities

(Locked)

$13.74 to Charity Water
http://i49.tinypic.com/4gnz6.gif
Charity Water's webpage is nicely done. Using Google Maps to show where they have built stuff is awesome.
kinda miss having the trolls help bump the thread..
85 Orc Warrior
Donate to better gaming companies and independent developers so that better games than this are made.
You continue to be a mensch nowkA. Again thanks for making these posts and thank you and everyone else who is donating. You guys have chosen some great ones.

I know the big thing right now is just to get the idea accepted by Blizzard and this is getting the cart a little out in front of the horse but since reading this idea a few days ago I've been thinking about this question: 'If money from charity auctions goes directly from the buyer to the charity, should buyers on the RMAH be able to see that an auction is a charity auction and if so, should they be able to see which charity the money is going to?'

Obviously this is totally up to Blizzard and I would support whatever they chose but I'm interested to hear your guys' thoughts on different ways to implement this. My opinion is yes, buyers should be able to see that an auction is going to charity and they should be able to see which charity. Because it's really the seller that is donating the proceeds of their sale to charity, it should be their choice whether or not to tell us where the money is going and certainly some buyers (myself included) will feel more inclined to purchase something if the money is going to charity. I think this would get more people using the RMAH in general which would be good for blizzard especially if they do take a small cut of charity auctions which I would be fine with because they provide the infrastructure that makes it all possible. On the other hand, would it be bad for the economy and sellers who don't list items for charity? I dunno but I think that's something to talk about and people's ideas here might help Blizzard figure out how to implement it.

This method of implementing the idea makes me think about "Newman's Own" grocery items (you know like the Paul Newman salsa and stuff) which are really about the same quality as their competitors in my opinion and about the same price but they donate all of their proceeds to charity. Because of that, when I'm in the grocery store I always buy Newman's own stuff if I see it right next to the other brands. Why not right? As the buyer in that situation I don't think of myself as having just donated to charity but I made a small choice that resulted in a small benefit to charity and brought no detriment to me. People still buy plenty of the competitors' products, the economy works out just fine and the grocery store still gets their fair cut. Everybody's happy. I think the situation with the RMAH would be very similar. If Blizzard decides to take a lower cut or no cut at all, that would be awesome, if not that's totally fine too, the end result is a good thing either way.

In my opinion this would be the most effective way to implement charity auctions
but I have read other good ideas and there are probably factors I'm not considering so please tell me your thoughts and keep it constructive so Blizz might be inspired to think more about these ideas.
Very well put MethodMan! Newman's Own is a great example of how this could fit in. I too would see no problem with Blizzard maintaining some of the cut on charity auctions. It would be similar to organizations like Network for Good and other online payment processing platforms; it takes money to operate these kinds of things and as you said, in the end, it is still a win for the charitable organizations and the people they assist.

It'd be great to see Blizzard experiment with different ways of fundraising. They have the platform, the economy and the players to try out things that other companies can't. Social enterprises are on the up and up these days, and between the media spotlight on corporations and increasingly wary consumers, moving in this direction is just a matter of time. Social gaming, social enterprise, your move Activision|Blizzard.
Edited by nowkA#1580 on 7/18/2012 10:48 PM PDT
$11.00 to Creativity Explored
http://i46.tinypic.com/t62vrt.gif
bump!
i cant buy gas with out girl scouts swarming the door. you go inside and fireman have these boots you can but for 1-20$ and write your name on them to put on a wall. then there is usually a burn victum (under age 5) sitting on the counter wanting more money. this is after i leave work where the united way (must be run by the mob) is having bosses ride me and bake sells etc at every corner. dont get me started on all the people that come by asking you to buy a $20 cup so their kid can take a week long trip to orlando to sing in a school function for 20 minutes.

in short i have charity burnout. if you do this give me enough notice so i can end my auctions and have nothing up as well as make sure i do not purchase anything during this time. it would be nice to think i can come kill demons in hell without soemone asking for a gd handout. i guess this is what happens when it is to hot for the occupy crowd to go outside...

we never should have given everyone a trophy
i cant buy gas with out girl scouts swarming the door. you go inside and fireman have these boots you can but for 1-20$ and write your name on them to put on a wall. then there is usually a burn victum (under age 5) sitting on the counter wanting more money. this is after i leave work where the united way (must be run by the mob) is having bosses ride me and bake sells etc at every corner. dont get me started on all the people that come by asking you to buy a $20 cup so their kid can take a week long trip to orlando to sing in a school function for 20 minutes.

in short i have charity burnout. if you do this give me enough notice so i can end my auctions and have nothing up as well as make sure i do not purchase anything during this time. it would be nice to think i can come kill demons in hell without soemone asking for a gd handout. i guess this is what happens when it is to hot for the occupy crowd to go outside...

we never should have given everyone a trophy

sounds like someone didn't get enough trophies...

if something can be made better, if there is a win-win situation to be had - smart people will go for it. Dill, you can do nothing, that's fine, everyone has different levels of pride and capability :)
hahha, i didnt get that many trophys but they were all earned... and better/win-win is your opinion - smart people know the difference
07/19/2012 10:04 AMPosted by dill
hahha, i didnt get that many trophys but they were all earned... and better/win-win is your opinion - smart people know the difference

how is this not a win-win? please enlighten me.

Yesterday I sold an item for $9.99 and for that, $7.46 was sent to my PayPal. Buyer wins because he/she got an item that they wanted. Blizzard and PayPal win on the fees, and now

$7.46 to Charity Water
http://i50.tinypic.com/111t84n.gif

Despite all these wins, you can't cope with your charity burnout? Head to the AH to get some armor or resistance, you seem kinda weak :)
Edited by nowkA#1580 on 7/19/2012 10:58 AM PDT
07/19/2012 10:39 AMPosted by nowkA

how is this not a win-win? please enlighten me.

Yesterday I sold an item for $9.99 and for that, $7.46 was sent to my PayPal. Buyer wins because he/she got an item that they wanted. Blizzard and PayPal win on the fees, and now

$7.46 to Charity Water
http://i50.tinypic.com/111t84n.gif

Despite all these wins, you can't cope with your charity burnout? Head to the AH to get some armor or resistance, you seem kinda weak :)

#tigerblood #winning #trophiesForDill
Blizz is never going to have a day they just give all their profits away, just because you want them too.

It is corporate law you MUST make money for your stockholders.

Which means that they would need a majority vote from stockholders for this too happen.

In the midst of a company sellout. Not going to happen.

I applaud your generosity, although I am a little uneasy as to your need to tell the forums about every single donation you have made.

I encourage anyone wishing to make charitable donations to do your own research and donate to the companies you believe in, someone could make alot of money on these forums advertising to gullable people.
07/19/2012 11:14 AMPosted by emtwo
Your money would be much better spent by donating the lump sum to one charity. This is equivalent to throwing a fistful of pennies at a crowd of hundreds of starving people. Ineffective. You're better off saving all your pennies and feeding just one of those people.

the total amount going to each charity is building up. The reason for having such a wide variety right now is 1, because people have been suggesting organizations, and 2, to hopefully sidestep any differences in opinion over any single organization so that the focus remains on the overall concept
Edited by SativaTheCat#1883 on 7/19/2012 11:18 AM PDT
Blizz is never going to have a day they just give all their profits away, just because you want them too.

It is corporate law you MUST make money for your stockholders.

Which means that they would need a majority vote from stockholders for this too happen.

In the midst of a company sellout. Not going to happen.

I applaud your generosity, although I am a little uneasy as to your need to tell the forums about every single donation you have made.

I encourage anyone wishing to make charitable donations to do your own research and donate to the companies you believe in, someone could make alot of money on these forums advertising to gullable people.

Blizzard has done charitable gaming before, selling WoW pets and donating some of the proceeds.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1223948

And stockholders love good publicity as well. As for publicly donating..this has been brought up before. read the old thread :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]