Diablo® III

$1190.46 & counting, From RMAH to charities

request a sticky if you finally have a reason to kick your chickfila habit.

also if you like charities and the likes.
Reply Quote
07/19/2012 11:36 AMPosted by emtwo
the total amount going to each charity is building up. The reason for having such a wide variety right now is 1, because people have been suggesting organizations, and 2, to hopefully sidestep any differences in opinion over any single organization so that the focus remains on the overall concept

This is still, quite frankly, a bad idea. I understand that doing this makes you and other people who are donating feel good about themselves and sublimate their lives. However, donating $100 to a hundred different charities results in a much lower percentage of that money actually doing any good than if you were to donate $100 to one single charity. This is due to the practical costs of administration, overhead and redirection of these funds to people that actually need them.

Americans as a whole donate hundreds of billions of dollars each year to various charitable organizations, yet no problems are solved. If, however, the entirety of that money over several years was donated to treating AIDS or something similar, it is possible we may have found a cure by now. The endless division of our resources to attempt to solve all problems simultaneously results in the net effect of accomplishing next-to-nothing.

This is a whole lot of gibberish. "The endless division of our resources to attempt to solve all problems simultaneously results in the net effect of accomplishing next-to-nothing" You are a joke. Sitting there trolling, saying even the little contributions don't amount to anything... what a complete joke. I am embarrassed for you sir. So it isn't a perfect world, and people have different opinions on what to address.. but that's why society has made progress on many fronts. We live longer, healthier lives. Why? Because we didn't focus on just one problem at a time. By your logic, we should say, " Hey medical researchers, stop doing what you are doing and just focus on AIDS!forget about the other diseases, you're accomplishing nothing" LOL. emtwo, you are a funny character.
Reply Quote
07/19/2012 11:36 AMPosted by emtwo
the total amount going to each charity is building up. The reason for having such a wide variety right now is 1, because people have been suggesting organizations, and 2, to hopefully sidestep any differences in opinion over any single organization so that the focus remains on the overall concept

This is still, quite frankly, a bad idea. I understand that doing this makes you and other people who are donating feel good about themselves and sublimate their lives. However, donating $100 to a hundred different charities results in a much lower percentage of that money actually doing any good than if you were to donate $100 to one single charity. This is due to the practical costs of administration, overhead and redirection of these funds to people that actually need them.

Americans as a whole donate hundreds of billions of dollars each year to various charitable organizations, yet no problems are solved. If, however, the entirety of that money over several years was donated to treating AIDS or something similar, it is possible we may have found a cure by now. The endless division of our resources to attempt to solve all problems simultaneously results in the net effect of accomplishing next-to-nothing.

"yet no problems are solved"

I think you're right, we should all just sit around trolling and whine about how the world is messed up. *facepalm.

Emtwo, you're just a whiner. That's it. If you have so much wisdom and perspective, put your vision to work and improve the world. Anyone can mouth off and whine about how "next-to-nothing" is being accomplished. A !@#$%^-*!, a @#$%^-, a thief..any of these kinds of people can QQ. Great contribution emtwo!
Reply Quote
@ nowkA #1580

Can we get a Total Donated Sum somewhere in the OP (maybe at the top?) I think a total donated would open some eyes, in addition to all the individual donations.

(hopefully making a contribution tonight)
Edited by Cold#1177 on 7/19/2012 12:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Nice work, I am more in awe at the amount of rmah sales then anything else. wtf and great job of getting a sick tax break from all the donations.
Reply Quote
@Emtwo

I understand you are not in favor of this, but are you actually against it?? If so, lol@you.
Reply Quote
Go ahead .. keep giving to charities.

http://www.moneysense.ca/2010/06/17/the-charity-100-where-is-your-money-going/
http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/free-all/17455-charitable-donations-where-does-your-money-really-go.html
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1785397/pg1

I could keep going... WHEN YOU GIVE YOUR MONEY TO A CHARITY .. you better be sure this is a good one.
Reply Quote
07/19/2012 12:46 PMPosted by emtwo
This is a whole lot of gibberish. "The endless division of our resources to attempt to solve all problems simultaneously results in the net effect of accomplishing next-to-nothing" You are a joke. Sitting there trolling, saying even the little contributions don't amount to anything... what a complete joke. I am embarrassed for you sir. So it isn't a perfect world, and people have different opinions on what to address.. but that's why society has made progress on many fronts. We live longer, healthier lives. Why? Because we didn't focus on just one problem at a time. By your logic, we should say, " Hey medical researchers, stop doing what you are doing and just focus on AIDS!forget about the other diseases, you're accomplishing nothing" LOL. emtwo, you are a funny character.

Nothing about the extension of the human lifespan has anything to do with charities, which is what we are discussing. Virtually all innovation that has impacted day-to-day lives of human beings is profit-motivated, and would take place with or without charitable donations. Charities bandage problems but do not solve them. This is not to say that bandaging problems is not a worthwhile endeavor; simply that throwing band-aid solutions in every wayward direction is significantly less effective in improving someone's life than, say, giving the guy on your street corner a decent meal.

"yet no problems are solved"

I think you're right, we should all just sit around trolling and whine about how the world is messed up. *facepalm.

Emtwo, you're just a whiner. That's it. If you have so much wisdom and perspective, put your vision to work and improve the world. Anyone can mouth off and whine about how "next-to-nothing" is being accomplished. A !@#$%^-*!, a @#$%^-, a thief..any of these kinds of people can QQ. Great contribution emtwo!

I am putting my vision to work and attempting to improve the world. You, on the other hand, show how hypocritical you are while proclaiming to be some benevolent benefactor, yet you attempt to demean people by accusing them of being less fortunate. You call people nasty names like !@#$%, and fail to realize that these terms describe the exact people that are in desperate need of help.

If you truly cared, you wouldn't be simply throwing money at sterile organizations that serve to keep you removed from what you see as the filthy, unwashed mass of cretins that so desperately need your help. You'd be out there among them, actually doing something. Furthermore, I find it highly unlikely that you have performed the proper research into these charities to find out if they are actually helping people, how they are doing it, and how many pennies on the dollar actually go towards helping people.

Like I said before, I understand that doing things like this helps you maintain a charitable feeling, and may assuage some of the guilt you feel as a wasteful American consumer. That seems to be your only real goal in this, there are infinitely better ways to help.

" You call people nasty names like !@#$%, and fail to realize that these terms describe the exact people that are in desperate need of help."

^ Emtwo, i was saying that a ra pist, ped o phile or thief can QQ and offer as much as you have. It doesn't take much to do nothing.

As for research, we relied on organizations like givewell and charity navigator, as well as vouches from forum members. If YOU have done the research on these organizations, please speak up and let us know which ones should be reconsidered.

As for "throwing money at sterile organizations" and not "being out there with them" you're saying that just because someone wants to help build essential infrastructure in Africa, they have to fly over there? How about supporting the professionals who are better capable at serving these people?

What makes you think that I could do a better job than these professionals? Everything you've said has been brought up and shutdown in the previous thread.

Someday you will look back at your contributions to this thread and blush.

Again, if you are indeed a concerned party, then why are you against this idea? If you do agree that there are organizations worth supporting... what is your problem exactly?
Reply Quote
It's online processing. The charity likely pays a monthly fee plus a % per transaction for its transaction services. The amount donated then does not matter. If I give $10 to a charity to help others, however little help may come, and in turn receive a good feeling--you have no right to discourage me. None. It is my money, I am helping others, and benefiting myself.

Go drop $200 at Ruth's Chris and forget about this thread.
Reply Quote
@Emtwo

I understand you are not in favor of this, but are you actually against it?? If so, lol@you.

"Against" is not the word I would use. I am in favor of charity. I am in favor of helping the less fortunate. I am not in favor of throwing a few bucks around simply so that you can feel like you are being charitable and helpful, without actually making an impact. This is what the OP is doing; though I suspect his emotional attachment to that sublimating feeling will prevent him from ever seeing it.

If you really want to help, grab a ladle and go down to the local soup kitchen. But that won't give you the emotional validation you get from making a post about it on the forums, so I doubt nowkA will do it.

Local soup kitchens don't run simply on volunteers. It takes money. Your local soup kitchen takes donations doesn't it? If you care about it, what is the name of an organization that you support? Would you be against us making a donation to it?
Reply Quote
Go ahead .. keep giving to charities.

http://www.moneysense.ca/2010/06/17/the-charity-100-where-is-your-money-going/
http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/free-all/17455-charitable-donations-where-does-your-money-really-go.html
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1785397/pg1

I could keep going... WHEN YOU GIVE YOUR MONEY TO A CHARITY .. you better be sure this is a good one.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

http://givewell.org/
Reply Quote
07/19/2012 01:02 PMPosted by nowkA
Local soup kitchens don't run simply on volunteers. It takes money. Your local soup kitchen takes donations doesn't it? If you care about it, what is the name of an organization that you support? Would you be against us making a donation to it?

*thumbs up*
Reply Quote
" This is not to say that bandaging problems is not a worthwhile endeavor; simply that throwing band-aid solutions in every wayward direction is significantly less effective in improving someone's life than, say, giving the guy on your street corner a decent meal."

Giving the homeless guy on the street corner a decent meal is a nice thing to do. But tell me again, why is donating to Wounded Warrior Project, which provides assistance and support to our veterans, a bad thing? How is it useless? Organizations like WWP exist because people need them, because people support them for the work that's been done, is being done and will be done. These organizations need funds to operate, so we are trying to take a slice of virtual economy money and give it to charities. What's the problem!?

Emtwo, at this point, I think the best thing you can do is just suggest a charitable organization that makes it through your research and vetting process, one that you believe in. Let's agree to disagree about my public methods, if you say I do it out of ego, that's fine with me. The more important thing is that there is another RMAH sale processing, and I would love to send the proceeds to the organization of your choice. Let's get over the negative posts and do something more productive. Give us a name

Anyways, back to positive vibes:

$8.88 to Charity Water

http://i47.tinypic.com/2uigazd.gif
Edited by nowkA#1580 on 7/19/2012 1:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sticky this post please. Keep up the good work man.
Reply Quote
@ nowkA #1580

Can we get a Total Donated Sum somewhere in the OP (maybe at the top?) I think a total donated would open some eyes, in addition to all the individual donations.

(hopefully making a contribution tonight)

good suggestion! OP has been updated
Reply Quote
$9.99 to Charity Water
http://i46.tinypic.com/259lfz5.gif
Reply Quote
new legendaries coming in 1.0.4, auction some off Blizz!
Edited by nowkA#1580 on 7/19/2012 3:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/19/2012 01:26 PMPosted by iWIsh
Sticky this post please. Keep up the good work man.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]