Diablo® III

Fix the UI! $220 weapon accidentally sold

08/31/2012 11:09 PMPosted by RedChief
I paid $220 for 2 months ago on the rmah. Oblivious to my mis-click, I sold the swath of crap ilvl 63 rares, my $220 axe included.

God and I feel dirty having spent about $5 on the RMAH for gold, and $3 for a couple items..

$220 for a single item..well...
Reply Quote
Ok here is what you do to prevent selling your equipped gear.

Step 1: identify everything first
Step 2: check if your stats are still the same; if not you accidentally swapped something
Step 3: go to vendor and sell all that trash loot that has dropped

Works fine for me even when playing drunk ;-)
Reply Quote
The amount of stupidity in the OP is....staggering. You want Blizzard to protect you from yourself?

Even if somehow you didn't hear the sound of gear being swapped, or see the item being swapped, it has nothing to do with the UI. Only stupid people will benefit from hand-holding, and stupid people shouldn't be helped.

You made a mistake that in truth is pretty hard to do, unless you were doing it blindfolded or were attempting some sort of world record for fastest ID time. Not to mention you failed to use the buyback option. When people say, "oh, if this were you then you'd complain and want compensation too!". Except that's a fallacy. Only fools spend that much money on the game, let alone one item. Only stupid people have no idea at all that they just messed up in such a colossal fashion. Only idiots put themselves in the position where something like this could happen. I won't ever complain about something like this happening to me because something like this WON'T happen to me. I go out of my way to make sure of it. I'm judging you and your intelligence overall by this one post. You deserved what happened to you, and no one is beholden to attempt to fix your rampant stupidity.

This is indicative of what's wrong with our entire country. "I messed up, and now I want someone to compensate me and prevent me from making my own mistakes again." I hope you learned a valuable lesson today. My vitriolic and horrible response is now over. May God have mercy on your brain, for society at large will not.
Reply Quote
I would also like either a "lock equipment"-button or generally being able to turn off equip by right click (only drag and drop allowed.) somewhere in settings (like elective mode).

That or make it REALLY obvious, that you just switched equipments like having the item slot flash up VISIBLY for 10 seconds or something. Kind of a similar treatment to what they did with legendaries, when players were complaining that they are easy to overlook.

The vendor-sollution is a little too half-assed imho.
I would like to be able to identify my items anytime, anywhere, not just in the Vendor-Window.

All those who say that it is his own fault... Even if it is. What difference does it make? Does your personal enjoyment of the game go down, if blizzard decided to fix this issue? Way too many people have this smug "won't happen to me, I'm smarter than that"-attitude.

I congratulate you for being so smart. But "I" don't WANT to have to pay attention when I'm identifying items.

I just want to Identify and sell/salvage crap and continue slaying monsters instead of worrying whether or not I'm still wearing the same gear as before. It's just not good game design if I always have to first check if my stats/dps are still the same, before I leave a game. That's what a good UI is supposed to take care of for me.
Reply Quote
Whether the OP is stupid, careless, or whatever, there should be no way to do this. Very seldom have I ever needed to switch something out in my inventory for a gear slot outside of MF swapping back in the pre Paragon days. Drag and drop, Shift-click, and item lock are all viable ways to avoid something like this happening.

I always go to a vendor now to ID. The few seconds it takes is well worth not losing something you spent real money on or farmed hundreds of hours to find. I also look at my DPS number before I sell of the crap to make sure nothing has changed. I would think as a business, Blizzard would be concerned with anything like this that would anger the customer considering how easy it would be to fix. I don't know how many times it has to be said, but its the little things in the game that count. Its the little things that all come together to make something truly remarkable. Go launch D2. Tell me that music doesn't make your heart hurt just a little. And no, I am not bashing D3 saying D2 was better. I have played since launch, but my rose tinted glasses are very thick.
Reply Quote
Im sure this has been said allready, but Id with the repair window up. a 2nd right click tries to put the item in the repair box instead of equiping. or repair witth the merchant open, so i second click vendors the item.
Reply Quote
View profile
TL;DR

L2p before spending so much money on the game.
Reply Quote
Ouch....

$220 on one item in an online game??

We should all be selling more pixels to ppl like the OP :)

Then donate the funds to someone who really needs a good meal or a roof over their heads...

Peace & good luck with the item-lock thing OP seems there are more of you out there.

HB
Reply Quote
TL;DR

Because mastering the art of not getting !@#$ed up by an unimpressive UI should be a crucial skill to *playing* a game?

Seriously, learn to use your brain...
Reply Quote
i hate l2p replys, reported for trolling. seriously, the ui is junk. flip it with something way more secure.

TL;DR

Because mastering the art of not getting !@#$ed up by an unimpressive UI should be a crucial skill to *playing* a game?

Seriously, learn to use your brain...
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 06:58 PMPosted by eyLDS
Customer Support won't do !@#$, this has happened to my brother and his echoing fury, all they told him was tough luck

Imagine how many more rollback dupes we'd get if they did, though. As many have pointed out already, it's the player's fault for not paying attention, not Blizzard's for not making the UI stupid-proof. That being said, a gear lock would be a pertinent change. In the end it would save them lots of customer service trouble by not having to pay attention to careless people trying to blame them for it.
Reply Quote
While this thread is a bit old, I saw that it’s been bumped a few times recently, so I wanted to jump in really quickly with some clarification about a new feature that went into patch 1.0.7 that might have slipped your notice.

As [url="https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6470437848?page=8#160"]SirCris pointed out[/url], one of the changes we made in patch 1.0.7 was that you can now identify items while in the vendor window. So if you talk to a vendor, you will be able to identify it using right click, and then you can also choose to sell it with a second right click. As usual, if you accidentally sell an item, you can still retrieve it from the vendor’s buy-back tab.

While you are in the vendor window, you should no longer be able to right click on an item in your inventory and accidentally equip it. Effectively, having a vendor window open while identifying your items should help ensure that you do not inadvertently equip items while you are identifying them.

Just add an item lock already. Why there isn't one in a game based so heavily around gearing is beyond imagination. At the BARE MINIMUM, there is no logical reason why the vendor buyback doesn't even cover a full inventory of items.
Reply Quote
I'm against an item lock because I'm against helping stupid people. We shouldn't be condoning and encouraging incompetence just to make people feel like they can't make mistakes.

This is how people learn to NOT do stupid things. I'm sure the OP learned a very valuable lesson about taking a moment to understand exactly what you're doing. Or he didn't and it'll happen again. And I will laugh.
Reply Quote

I congratulate you for being so smart. But "I" don't WANT to have to pay attention when I'm identifying items.

I just want to Identify and sell/salvage crap and continue slaying monsters instead of worrying whether or not I'm still wearing the same gear as before. It's just not good game design if I always have to first check if my stats/dps are still the same, before I leave a game. That's what a good UI is supposed to take care of for me.

And here we are at the crux of the matter.

"I don't want to be responsible for my own gear."
"I don't want to spend the 5 seconds it takes to walk over to a vendor to ID"
"I don't want to pay even the slightest bit of attention to make sure I didn't just ruin my character."

No, you want someone to hold your hand. You DON'T have to check your stats after every ID. I never do, because I have enough brain cells and self-awareness to understand when I've swapped out a piece of gear. It's literally the easiest thing in the game. I have a moral objection to holding people's hands in games, because it's a sign of how dumb as a species we're becoming when even the simplest tasks become too much of a burden for some people to perform. And that's horrifying.
Reply Quote
This is a Tragic story. That weapon sounds really amazing.....
Reply Quote
So tonight the horrific happened. While identifying and selling a swath of rares, I right clicked once too often and accidentally switched the garbage mace i had just identified with my primary weapon axe I paid $220 for 2 months ago on the rmah. Oblivious to my mis-click, I sold the swath of crap ilvl 63 rares, my $220 axe included.

my primary weapon axe I paid $220 for 2 months ago on the rmah.

I paid $220 for 2 months ago on the rmah.

I paid $220
Reply Quote
I just love people who will defend this bad game design decision
Reply Quote
Oh this is the society we live in where the blame lays on the game and not the person who actually did the action. Dood I did the same thing with one of my items and I didn't go running to the boards going OMG BLIZZZ it's all YOUR FAULTTTT WWAHHHHH!!!

You're the one that messed this one up. Own up.

You douche, he did own up to it and he's 100% right for the same reason that they dis-abled the ability to drag off action items from the bar and lose your NV. This game is all about making the most $$ in the shortest amount of time via killing things fast, IDing them fast and selling them fast.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]