Diablo® III

10.8.2 Retina unplayable - SMC Reset fixed it

just to be clear, resetting the SMC is just pressing the Shift, Control, Option(alt), and the power button at the same time, and letting them go at the same time, like a tap, but pressing them, and the machine just shuts off instantly.
right?
Reply Quote
Okay So when people are getting it fixed back to 30 fps.... are they on the full resolution for the Retina? Because I can only get 10-16 on full. I have to drop it down a bit to get 30 fps... which is still a good resolution but I want to take full advantage of this screen. wtf.

So this has to be something on apples end ... Blizzard, what have they been saying to you guys, I know you have been talking to them.
Reply Quote
Yes, reset SMC can resolve this low FPS problem.
Reply Quote
Bump. Still having to reset the SMC frequently in order to play this game.
Reply Quote
I just started playing again after about 6-7 months (August-September), and beforehand I was able to run with max resolution and settings on my 15" RMBP and get a steady fps of 30+. When I came back recently, I found that I could only get reasonable frame rates (10+ fps) with a very low resolution, the sound quality at lowest, and shadow at "off."

I then found this thread, reset the SMC, exactly as Apple stated, and I'm back to running it at full resolution 2880x1880 (something like that) with everything maxed (sans anti-aliasing since you don't need that at the highest resolution of the RMBP with fps 30+ and steady during combat even. I don't have a recurrence of the problem when I put it to sleep and then wake it up. I have a maxed out RMBP 15" from mid-2012 (i.e. July). It's maxed out because I use it for research and numerical simulations/integration/etc. Thank you to those who figured this out. I suspected this, as it was an issue even 6+ months ago.

I can tell you that updating the CUDA driver will do nothing unless Diablo III leverages that type of gpu code, which I doubt seriously, as everyone would have to have drivers for CUDA and an nVidia card or alternately openCL for which the CUDA drivers wouldn't matter. In the future, maybe... Right now it's only used by people like me and programmers. Blizzard is leveraging the GPU in a different fashion. Now, Apple driver updates for nVidia and openGL are a different story.

Again, thanks, and Apple needs to address this.
Reply Quote
I absolutely can confirm that SMC reset fixed my bad performance. I was having around 10-15FPS with highest resolution on my MacBook Pro Retina (regular hardware, nothing fancy)

Now I did the SMC reset and I could experience following things:

1) after pressing ALT(Option) + CTRL + SHIFT + POWER and just releasing them, the MacBook starts up as usual. Don´t worry. The SMC reset has been done. You just wont see ANYTHING
2) after logging into Diablo 3 (everything on max. details with max resolution- except Shadows and AA ) the game runs smoothly again at around 30fps. Even during most combats. Sometimes the fps drops down to 20-25 but then it goes up again. But definitively a huge improvement compared to before-SMC reset
3) installing this CUBE driver couldn't fix anything. I wont suggest to do so, as it moves you off the "standard" configuration for your macbook.
4) after going to sleep mode the performance went down again.

Conclusion: If you wanna play D3/WOW/etc.. just boot your MacBook Pro 15 Retina (Mid 2012) via SMC reset. Play your game and accept that you need to re-do this again once your mac goes into sleepmode again. Not a big problem, but annoying. I guess Apple should fix this very soon, as D3 obviously isnt the only affected game.

THANKS to everybody here! It really helped me to make me feel not that miserable as I was soooo sad and disillusioned that my beloved Mac sucks so much when it comes to games.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Just an update to this, we have escalated this specific issue to Apple for review, as this is something that happens to other OpenGL applications. This isn't something we can address.
Reply Quote
Good day forum goers. I just found a solution slightly better than needing to restart the computer every time you need an openGL intensive application.

Manually put the computer to sleep! For whatever reason, this stops the bug on my machine. Tap your power button after your fans cool down and turn off, then select sleep from the dialog. This should fix the issue. Once the screen is off you should be able to close the lid and on awakening normally later, diablo should still be at 60fps+
Reply Quote
Interesting. I'm getting a new Retina next week and will try that out. So just want to get the steps down and correct me if I'm wrong. Also, let me know if this continues to work for you.

1. Tap the power button. (you'll still be able to see the screen at this point? I ask because in other macs tapping the pw button puts the machine to sleep)
2. Wait for fans to stop spinning
3. Select sleep from the apple dropdown.
4. Shut your computer.

Thanks.
Reply Quote
I'm not sure of others, but I had to redo the SMC (Shift+Ctr+Option+Power) reset after the 1.0.7 patch in order to restore a legitimate frame rate (>=30fps) at the maximum settings sans anti-aliasing [not needed at max resolution]). This SMC reset wasn't needed for the 1.0.6a patch.

Again, as I posted above, I have a fully maxed out Mid-2012 (July) 15" R-MBP (use it primarily for research/numerical simulations). I'm running 10.8.2 on it. I suppose it may be relevant that I have CUDA installed for GPU-accelerated code, but it should be irrelevant.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Thanks
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
This is something we're checking out and have reported to Apple.
Reply Quote
Any updates to this issue? Have to reset SMC very often.....
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I have the retina MBP and have the same issues, with the SMC fixing it. I have to do this at least once a day.

I have noticed a couple other behaviors though, aside from it happening after "sleep modes"

I will be playing and after the loading screen after hearthing, the same things happens with fans shutting off and an SMC reset needed (then is back to normal after that).

And also just randomly when playing. Mid-raid when I had been on for about an hour and a half, continuously, the fans turned off and the whole computer dropped to single digit FPS. SMC reset fixed it too. This is happening on a daily+ basis. Temperatures seem okay and it is on an aluminum cooling pad with 2 fans just in case.
Reply Quote
Any recent updates? As its been over a month now...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]