Diablo® III

Old hellfire ring was the real end game!

The Hellfire Ring can still be BiS, now you just need to rolls to do so. You already have High main stat....you just need the 4 randoms to roll trifecta. It will now take a LOT of farming to get BIS hellfire ring.

Good job blizz, this change was well needed.

as long as the ring can still be BiS ( with great rolls ) I don't see the problem with this...
Asking for the devs to keep an OP/broken item in game is kinda stupid...
Someone said a 5k DPS follower could deal 130k DPS with that ring...
Reply Quote
After reading the hellfire gem thread I think I couldnt care less about the nerf. It is a ring, that sucks a lot. It is gambling involved, sucks. It is nerfed to the ground, sucks again. I will not have one ever. Because I wont run act 1, 2 or 4 for such crap. Instead I will buy 2 rings with increased stats on the AH or find some by myself while farming MP 5 or so. We'll see.

Hellfire Ring however just got incredibly uninteresting.

i totally agree - what made hellfire ring special is gone - any rare ring will have just as much chance of rolling great - with a Hellfire ring, where so much is random i'd rather NOT spend any time on the damned thing at all - it is really not worth the time, comparing to just farm up new rares/Litany/Unity/Wailing/Pox/whatever set/legendary ring out there. anything over MP6 or 7 now seems completely lunacy to ever begin playing. at least with Hellfire ring proc within sight, you'd feel like you could actually end up accomplishing something on MP 8-10
Reply Quote
The Hellfire Ring can still be BiS, now you just need to rolls to do so. You already have High main stat....you just need the 4 randoms to roll trifecta. It will now take a LOT of farming to get BIS hellfire ring.

as long as the ring can still be BiS ( with great rolls ) I don't see the problem with this...

Once again more dumbass rumors that arent true. I got the ring it wast OP. i do 2 m crits, it did 4-6 m. Trash has like 30m hp. Gtfo with this crap.

And its not bis, period. Ever. Get it?

It wasnt op or broken, and all you have to do is fix the scaling, not make it paperweight affix ON ONLY LEVEL 63 RING IN THE GAME.

Not to mention the time it takes to get compared with 1 item lvl 63-rolled rare ring is a joke.

Why are ppl with crap gear on ptr feedback discussing something that ony applies to ppl who have good gear.

So dumb.
Reply Quote

This is incorrect. 200 prime stat is 2 rolls.

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/41045-spoiler-diablo-iii-item-affixes/#entry863934

From a DPS perspective, Hellfire will match the best Trifecta rares due to the 200 Prime Stat

HellFire Ring

Fix Stats
+200 Main Stat (fix) -> This counts as 2 affixes
+35% Experience (fix) -> Glorified Leorics
+Fireball (fix)

+4 Random Stats
+6% Critical Chance (random)
+50% Critical Damage (random)
+9% Increase Attack Speed (random)
+Average Damage (random)

v1.05 Rare Ring (6 Stats)
+200 Main Stat (fix) -> This counts as 2 affixes
+6% Critical Chance (random)
+50% Critical Damage (random)
+9% Increase Attack Speed (random)
+Average Damage (random)

Yea hellfire already rolls with a 200 primary stat (170-200) so its actually easier to get a good hellfire ring than a godly rare, of course this is assuming you have a way to farm the ubers at MP10 efficiently.

Yeah and who can do that, now the Ring doesn't proc like hell anymore?
Reply Quote
Blizzard's doing everything wrong with this ring.
It would take 3 super top-geared(2b++), skilled players 2hours(plus quite some effort as opposed to lower MPs) to get a guaranteed ring. Now ask yourselves, would they spend all that time for a 6-prop, NON-TRADABLE(which means if you get a ring which isn't better than your current, you just wasted 2 hours) ring?
Why even put the proc in then?
And once again, lol @ 'Bug fix'

They (i) wouldnt.

+1
Reply Quote
View profile
can somone please tell me what the heck "BiS" is supposed to stand for?
Reply Quote
The whole "it's a bug fix" thing reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry wants to keep doing the "voice" and Kramer tells him its "so playyyyeeed"....

It's either a bald faced lie or complete technical incompetence, pick one.
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 10:16 PMPosted by SwiftKitten
can somone please tell me what the heck "BiS" is supposed to stand for?

best in slot
Reply Quote
within a day of PTR wipe, people have a new Hellfire ring again. And that is supposed to be a GAUR BiS ring?? pshhhh

They nerfed just like it should have been. Way to OP and easy to get. Hell, the whimsy staff took more time.

^ This.

Note: It has 4 random rolls guys. People will be rolling these a lot.
Reply Quote

Yeah first people get upset about saying that this ring is to overpowered then all of a sudden its declared as a programming failure that lured somewhere within the code that miscalculated the special proc with the overall damage of the char (by Blizzard which sounds quite similar to something else *cough*cough*Trails of Cinder*cough*cough*) ... .

Now everyone wants it to be back to its actual usefulness which is understandable considering champs in higher mp levels having millions of hp and there are still people that argue against that and like to fight 5 - 10 mins for a single champ pack on highest mp level (and i dont mean barbs with that as they can fight three simultanously which we all know that its quite unfair to begin with) what i personally understand but on the other hand just find tedious after work to do then rather just having a fun game to play and grind a bit ... .

If the current situation wouldnt be so miserable regarding this endgame item which is even account bound and can easily (via a checkbox) be taken out of the future pvp content for fear of being op then it would be quite funny actually regarding how this entire process has developed so far ;) ... .
Edited by Merlin#1937 on 10/5/2012 10:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The "bug fix" explanation is so outrageous I'm taking it to a whole other thread.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794350883

Looks like Blizzard doesn't have testers / QA department anymore. They use the players to find out that the main feature of the patch is "bugged" on 100% of occasions by a factor of 100x.

It must be nice to be a developer in a company I don't need to test my code before sending it out to the public. Even when the code is the primary focus of the whole patch.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Warrior
I think the nerf is a little too crazy, the damage was a bit crazy, but the proc now is close to being worthless. Either make it so that the ring is tradable or at least maybe 1/4 of the dmg before, preferably both.
Reply Quote
I know what the blue is trying to do, but it actually proved the ring is useless.

unless you have godly gears and do MP 10, it will take you hundreds of hours to get the so called "Competitive" stats, (since the keys and organs does not have a guranteed drop rate under MP10, and majority of players will be sitting around MP3-5, meaning it could take you 1 or 2 hours just to do 1 uber boss, and you might get nothing for couple of hours.)

that time can be used to farm normally, and lvl up paragon and getting loots sell for gold and buy a much better rare rings or the legendary rings, since the random stats of the legendary is also effected by Mlvl now.
Reply Quote
It was actually a bug fix. The ring's proc damage was incorrectly scaling with a player's primary stats and weapon damage, which it was never designed to do. While we agree it was pretty sweet to see your characters do millions of damage in a single hit, no other Legendary procs scale this way -- and that's intended.

The Hellfire Ring will still be valuable, though. It may not be as valuable to players who have reached Paragon 100 now that it doesn't deal buttloads of damage when it procs, but it will still be competitive. Given the nature of how the ring is crafted, it has the opportunity to roll with some pretty incredible stats, so one of the rings you create may be BiS for you. Then again, it may not, but that's a good reason to keep farming (if that's your thing).

As for players who are leveling Paragon, we're okay with Hellfire being BiS. Yes, it will help you level up faster, but even if you stack it with Leoric's Signet and a ruby gem in your helm, reaching 100 will still take a very long time. And, as you've illustrated, the ring probably won't be a "must-have" forever, at least not for everyone depending on the stats you roll.

I.E. what this guy said:

Haven't you guys learned how unrewarding items with lots of random affixes are in this game? For every great Hellfire Ring, you'll have 1000 crap ones.

Only 1000?
Reply Quote

Haven't you guys learned how unrewarding items with lots of random affixes are in this game? For every great Hellfire Ring, you'll have 1000 crap ones.

Only 1000?

Like i once said guys the only thing Blizzard guarantees with nearly every patch is that this game will get a LOT harder and more tedious to play (Result: more transactions right at the RMAH :P ;) ) but whether the rewards will be on par is something that is open for debatte ;) ... . After all items are still part of the itemization which will never change to "quality over quantity" which is the big dilemma we face ingame with every drop even for legendaries (as even they can suck tremendously due to bad rolls).

In other words RNG is RNG but ONLY for the drops and items in general but not for the game getting harder cause this is guaranteed ;).
Edited by Merlin#1937 on 10/5/2012 11:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
tbh they should have kept the proc on the ring just reduced the dmg alot, it's nice to have little animations
Reply Quote
Lylirra and Blizzard, its fine that it was a bug and this is a bug fix. That makes sense. The problem is that neither you nor anybody else from Blizzard said anything the whole time it was acting like that. People were thinking this was a revolutionary ring and getting hyped up for the uber-boss farm. They were making builds to take advantage of the hellfire proc. There were videos about how this was the best ring and going to be important to get. And then out of nowhere you just destroy everything everybody had been getting excited for with no warning whatsoever.

You had plenty of time to tell everybody that it was a bug and going to be fixed. Then people would be disappointed but it'd be perfectly understandable as that's exactly why you have a ptr to fix those bugs. It'd even be helpful for people deciding how to spend their time as maybe they'd want to spend more time to try to get this one time chance to launch multi-million damage fireballs.

Instead you never said anything and just let people work under the false assumption that this was the ring. You didn't even say anything in the patch notes when you fixed it. Are you trying to piss off your fanbase? Did you delight in imagining the first guy who farms the ring again staring in befuddlement that then turns to anger when he realized the fireballs are now firecrackers? Cause if so, bravo, I don't see how you could do better. There are plenty of times that your fanbase can be a bit overly quick to rage, but this is not one of them. This was a gross lack of communication from Blizzard to the players on this and any rage directed at Blizzard is deserved. All you had to do is make one sticky post that the hellfire proc is bugged and yet for whatever reason you decided to stay silent. I honestly have no idea what is going on over there for such an either incompetent or malicious omission to occur.

PS: Weighing in on the new ring farm, It seems worth getting one for the xp bonus if you've got a lot of paragon left. Otherwise it does not seem remotely worth doing the uber-boss farm as random rings can now roll just as well and you can farm them much faster and you can sell them. This is why it didn't seem instantly unreasonable for the hellfire proc to be huge, because the farm to get the ring is pretty huge and the un-tradable nature made it seem like it must be something particularly powerful. Now the only thing impressive about it is the xp bonus. I agree with the OP that the hellfire ring was a cool end game, and now I don't see why you'd even do it at all if you're level 100.
Reply Quote
Lylirra and Blizzard, its fine that it was a bug and this is a bug fix. That makes sense. The problem is that neither you nor anybody else from Blizzard said anything the whole time it was acting like that. People were thinking this was a revolutionary ring and getting hyped up for the uber-boss farm. They were making builds to take advantage of the hellfire proc. There were videos about how this was the best ring and going to be important to get. And then out of nowhere you just destroy everything everybody had been getting excited for with no warning whatsoever.

You had plenty of time to tell everybody that it was a bug and going to be fixed. Then people would be disappointed but it'd be perfectly understandable as that's exactly why you have a ptr to fix those bugs. It'd even be helpful for people deciding how to spend their time as maybe they'd want to spend more time to try to get this one time chance to launch multi-million damage fireballs.

Instead you never said anything and just let people work under the false assumption that this was the ring. You didn't even say anything in the patch notes when you fixed it. Are you trying to piss off your fanbase? Did you delight in imagining the first guy who farms the ring again staring in befuddlement that then turns to anger when he realized the fireballs are now firecrackers? Cause if so, bravo, I don't see how you could do better. There are plenty of times that your fanbase can be a bit overly quick to rage, but this is not one of them. This was a gross lack of communication from Blizzard to the players on this and any rage directed at Blizzard is deserved. All you had to do is make one sticky post that the hellfire proc is bugged and yet for whatever reason you decided to stay silent. I honestly have no idea what is going on over there for such an either incompetent or malicious omission to occur.

PS: Weighing in on the new ring farm, It seems worth getting one for the xp bonus if you've got a lot of paragon left. Otherwise it does not seem remotely worth doing the uber-boss farm as random rings can now roll just as well and you can farm them much faster and you can sell them. This is why it didn't seem instantly unreasonable for the hellfire proc to be huge, because the farm to get the ring is pretty huge and the un-tradable nature made it seem like it must be something particularly powerful. Now the only thing impressive about it is the xp bonus. I agree with the OP that the hellfire ring was a cool end game, and now I don't see why you'd even do it at all if you're level 100.

+1000000000000

And who cares about xp bonus anyways, honestly. She even admitted the stat doesnt really matter cause its gonna take forever as-is, even when COMBINED with leorics.

Might as well spew a sick fireball in the meantime...
Edited by SayGa#1564 on 10/5/2012 11:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The ring will be rolling out stats that you would routinely pay millions for on the AH... and yet somehow this ring won't be worth the time to get......gtfo

The only valid complaints, I guess.....are the credit card fan boys that will just purchase the BIS ring making the effort to to do ubers pointless.......hmm...lota credit card fan boys it looks like...

on MP1+ all rings will be iLVL63. While these rings dont have the exp bonus they do have 4-6random rolls just like the hellfire ring. Finding a rare ring is much easier then getting the hellfire ring. The exp bonus alone is not worth the effort

Most of us here have found hundreds maybe thousands of rare rings and how many of those had the right combination of stats?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]