Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

Hah, well seeing how Monk and Wizard were my two leveled classes, it's pretty obvious why I RMAH'ed all my gear and moved on. I supposed I might come back to level my Barbarian if only so that for once I won't feel like I'm being crapped on in this game...

Just listen to your playerbase. It seems like the HoTS developers are trying to at least.
HAHAHA So monks were already gimped enough, and now they want to give monks' dashing strike the wizard treatment of "LOL FOREVER ON COOLDOWN!?"

Hahaha.
10/03/2012 05:56 PMPosted by FUPA
That may be the worst, most discouraging blue post I have read. Those are the changes you feel will really make the Monk class better? If it is, this game is doomed.

Didn't you get the memo? They only want barbs to have the most OP synergy and skills. They don't give a !@#$ about wizards and monks.
The blue said they are at the level of other classes in POWER. Monks ARE more powerful then say barbs. There single target dps is unmatched and they have very good aoe dmg skills like Thunder Clap. They are working on the speed of Monks, hence considering making Dashing Strike be used at farther distanced targets for a extra movement buff. Wtf is wrong with your guys? Relax, think, and re-read posts a bit.
While I'm not deeply familiar with Monk troubles, I do know what the general concerns are. I just have to say... this particular blue post utterly failed to address any of the community's most concerning issues and instead diverted all attention to Skills that are not really even under question.

At least the Wizard response addressed the issues at large. Please, Blue, rectify this situation and put some more effort into reassuring - or at least communicating - with your Monk player-base.
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.
For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

healing yourself to get a damage buff. ya its one rune on breath of heaven.. what about monk passives? what about the constriction of being forced to play coop for a portion of our passives to even work? lashing tail kick and dashing strike.... really? you havent even fixed the dashing strike bug.. proc coefficient discussion.. any at all considering Fist of thunder is by far the most reliable in proc rates aside from other spirit builders.. I seriously don't understand why you would care about 2 skills that literally doesn't affect build diversity that is so proclaimed by the developers.

lol, I am glad I am retiring my monk for 1.05 to play a barb/WD. way to make our time invested in our characters feel unique when it is just nerfed beyond hope. I guess PTR is just a spying tool for blizzard dev's to nerf every build composition makeup for each class before people start having "fun" with it.
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

What is wrong with you, people?! Why do you always look for problems where they do not exist and at the same time ignore large festering issues?! Stop fiddling with the icing on the cake and look at all those layers of problems it's made of!

If you want to tune some of the runes - fine, do it in some future patch. But for goodness' sake, first fix dodge and leave the Monk's armor passives alone!

decent place? um hello? wtf! monk is currently the weakest class! the go and nerf all toher classes int othe ground. then you can say monk is decent <.<

seriously are you even listening?

How do any of those things help the issues monks have in 1.0.5?
That sounds lame and I'm not even a monk. Looks like barb gear got that much more expensive...
-.-

Monks became monk(ey)s.. Just not that agile lol.
10/03/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Vaeflare
but at the cost of imposing a cooldown

Impose a cool down on Dash Strike? Hmm I think all HC monks using Dash Strike will change it to Tempest Rush if that really happens...
Ridiculous.
So instead of answering the question as to why monks have 2 fewer (not counting group only) passives, or why we don't have any damage increasing passives, or all the other concerns, you bring up Dashing Strike and Lashing Tail Kick?

I really don't know what to say...

I think I'm about to pull my IK items off the AH and start playing my barb...because obviously that's what JW wants.
Edited by Aux#1829 on 10/3/2012 6:05 PM PDT

My god, I thought wizards had it bad. The vast majority of monk players have been coming to the forums for a very long time saying "we need serious help", and your reply is "we feel monks are fine". Not only do you slap them in the face, you kick them in the b**** at the same time.

Wow.
... Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully.

A good blue post. I agree that "the fantasy of what it means to be a monk" could be better-realized. I think this is an important general guideline, and that the specific suggestions in the rest of the post are good examples (if properly done) of how a proper monk would play.

The class is currently less mobile than barbarians. While I love the barb skills that let me move around while having other purposes too (don't nerf those), I think the monk should have as much or probably more mobility, with all the bells and whistles a barb gets.

What worries me is that Blizzard just dropped the ball, totally, on designing a highly mobile monk from the start. Some moves are martial artsy, sure. But the dashing and jumping and whirling across the screen went to barbs and just barbs. It's really quite amazing that it happened that way. It could be fixed, but the monk might have to change more radically than any other class, and I don't think that's something Blizz is willing to do.
One of the main problems of the monks is that they are designed (at least it seems so ...) as a defensive class, so they have great defensive abilities. But in a game there you design the whole game about more and more damage these great abilities become more and more useless. Some Barbarians for example did not use the overpowered Warcry (20 armor/50 resist) when they had the right gear. Monks can not do that, there are not enough offensive passives for an offensive built with great defensive gear. And more and more spirit spenders instead of defensive cooldowns are also not a great idea, because you have not enough spirit.
Why costs seven sided strike 50 spirit (great damage and 30 sec cooldown) and the demonhunters vengeance costs nothing (great damage and 30 sec cooldown, but a passive regeneration for their ressource) ?
2 Passives for 15% dodge are also a strange decision (one requires 2 1 handers, the other 45% crit ... )
The monk feels just unfinished and not designed for a game in which killspeed is so important (and fun ...).
Edited by Kosch#2583 on 10/3/2012 6:09 PM PDT
@vaeflare
I am a more constructive person over here...
I am thankful that u are trying to make monks more fun to play with in the future by having more active options but there are problems that u have not addressed

alot of monks, including me, are thinking the decision over the STI nerf is too harsh. As a melee class, we are heavily dependent on armour on dmg reduction. dodge is good but the has disadvantages such as being "lucky" and unable to take dodge elemental dmg... U might say that in normal inferno play, the dmg reduction from monsters will be the same as the other classes but on the higher monster POWER LEVELs, we are unable to hold our ground against mobs as compared to barbs.

with the new rule of being unable to dodge reflect dmg. U are in fact make dodging less powerful and pleasing as compared to armour....

U also treatened to change or "nerf" OWE in one way or the other. Since our armour is down, why the decision to actually change OWE? U made a statement previously that u are not touching WW barbs whileas in the upcoming patch, they are nerfed siginificantly. How can I be sure that u can CHANGE OWE WITHOUT AFFECTING OUR GEAR? I lost my trust in u guys abit.

OVER at STARCRAFT 2 for the HOTS BETA, The guys there are actively engaging with the community. I will give credit to ROCK, a developer who comments and listerns to suggestions by the community and give comments on what the community is discussing abt. Example: the removal of warhound and the mothership core's role.

U GUYS HAVE NOT even say anything abt what the monks are discussing... which is not encouraging and disheartening...

Please at least comment on what we are discussing and not what u are thinking as a whole in the future of monks. It will make us go "WTH?"
Edited by Kookie#1493 on 10/3/2012 6:18 PM PDT
10/03/2012 06:06 PMPosted by Helmork
What worries me is that Blizzard just dropped the ball, totally, on designing a highly mobile monk from the start. Some moves are martial artsy, sure. But the dashing and jumping and whirling across the screen went to barbs and just barbs. It's really quite amazing that it happened that way. It could be fixed, but the monk might have to change more radically than any other class, and I don't think that's something Blizz is willing to do.

This.

Glad I started a WD =\
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]