Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

10/04/2012 08:46 PMPosted by kiddserv
I suggest doing the changes before releasing 1.05, otherwise we would have to wait another month or so for 1.06, and thats just unacceptable. Monks have been waiting too long to get their class right, heck i've almost geared my WD from waiting and if it would take more than a week or two to get the class right im sure alot of people would consider dropping it by then if they haven't already yet.

I'm not exactly sure that's the right path; rushed changes are just as dangerous. Rather, I'd recommend avoiding changes altogether until the entire batch is ready. Basically, if any changes are on the table that would, in effect, alter gearing, players should be discouraged from investment until those changes are ready. Otherwise you might end up with an double re-gear, and one is certainly bad enough.
@Vael
I appreciate that now we are at least in a discussion phase. What I want out of my Monk is the ability to choose a build. Currently I "feel" we don't have that option. I've tried many builds, but only one is worthwhile for farming. Is it as good as other classes? No, not even close, but it works.
I want to look at 16 passives and have a hard time choosing which 3 I want to take. Not take the 2 no-brainers and look at the rest thinking... Wow which of these crappy skills do I want?

I want to have something to spend spirit on during the fight, not just as it begins. I want dodge to actually work on ground effects. I want to have the fastest attack speed of all the classes since that is what we were told the monk would be.
Wiz : arcane regeneration
WD : mana regeneration (plus all equipement boost)
DH : hatered auto regen (plus all equipement boost) and can REGEN BY SHOOTING BLANK
Barb : Fury is going down, but goes up when getting hit
Monk : Spirit going up only when hitting hard target (plus equipement boost but is the lowest resource regen)

the barb getting fury when hit just gave me an idea
this probably was mentioned before by someone
anyways
what if... monks regen spirt
each time they... DODGE

this would certainly brings alot to build diversity, and many passives would look promising!
Blizz better do more than the blues have mentioned. The monk is boring to play and needs MAJOR adjustments. The prospect that they are STILL in the discussion process is abysmal.
I'm glad 20% of the class options are still essentially beta testing. Good job! If the class weren't so lackluster, half a year into release, I might have incentive to play this game.
I'd also like to thank all of the ongoing development team for thinking of ways to make the class better.- but just not now. NO, NO! Now's not a good time. 20% of our class options can wait more months before they feel somewhat enjoyable.
Keep up the good (non)work!
10/04/2012 07:21 PMPosted by Vaeflare
While there are currently solid build options for monks both in 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, and while top-tiered monks using very specific builds can achieve respectable damage, the class isn’t yet where we want it to be.

10/03/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power

Let me see if I understand you correctly ... so you're saying only top-tiered monks using very specific builds should be able to do "respectable damage"?

Please enlighten me to the build and gear, that Blizzard has deemed I use, so that I know how I should be playing...

-Thanks
Wiz : arcane regeneration
WD : mana regeneration (plus all equipement boost)
DH : hatered auto regen (plus all equipement boost) and can REGEN BY SHOOTING BLANK
Barb : Fury is going down, but goes up when getting hit
Monk : Spirit going up only when hitting hard target (plus equipement boost but is the lowest resource regen)

anyways
each time they... DODGE

this would certainly brings alot to build diversity, and many passives would look promising!

This must the the most constructive post I've seen in this thread so far.

p.s. stop shooting the messenger. Shoot his/her boss instead
10/04/2012 07:21 PMPosted by Vaeflare
While there are currently solid build options for monks both in 1.0.4 and 1.0.5

This is not true.

Changes like "damage increased from 50% to 60%" do NOTHING to strengthen the class.

Try "damage increased from 50% to 110%, with 50% extra damage on critical hits"

Learn it.

Not sure what you mean by addressed Wizards.. If you mean the nerf to our procs.. Yes.

Or the buff to .... disintegrate? .. ROFL, please stop trolling.

Wizards are just about as bad off. In fact, come to think of it..

Now we are exactly as bad off, since EVERY single CM wiz will now be using the EXACT same build.. Isn't that what you guys are upset about?

The wizard class was shi.t on pretty hard this patch as well, so don't for a second think we have been 'addressed.'

Saying Wizards were shi.t on this patch just doesn't quite do it justice.

A more apt description would be Wizards were force fed -- human centipede style -- by Blizzard after a night feasting on bean burritos with onions and extra sour cream.
I'd like to see monks being able to use more than one mantra at a time.

At the moment it seems we were given many defensive skills and passives that are TOO useful in inferno, reducing build variety. Multiple auras (like the paladin in D2) would increase build diversity, and pave the way for some truly interesting and powerful monks. 2 cents
Edited by Genetic#1523 on 10/4/2012 9:10 PM PDT
i personally feel the monk is an op class they might not show mass dps in details but with the correct skill choices they kill just as fast as any other char.
the monk has great life/ resist and can kill inferno diablo in about 3-4 mins the ONE and only problem i see with a monk is they have no escape route, the demon hunter has vault/ smoke screen the witch doctor has spirit walk (which travels thru enemies) the wizard has teleport and well i dont know what the barb has because i do not like playing my barb they are so boring to me ( i dont know why) anyways back to the subject if the monks skill serenity could pass thru targets the monk would be perfect.
everybody crying about a monks damage needs to understand there are builds : tank or offensive or hybrid and if you are complete tank well then your dps is going to suffer.
anyways
each time they... DODGE

Cool!

And make it dodge stuff that matters!

Dodging regular attacks means nothing. No regular attack can kill a decently geared monk. Area damage from elites are another story. And I know I am not the only one wanting this.
The sort of changes we’d like to make are not simple number tweaks, though.
*snip*
We have more improvements planned and they’re still only in the discussion phase, so we’re not really in a place right now to talk about them in much detail, but we’re actively working towards solutions to address many key concerns.

Here's how I read this:

"We still need to rework One With Everything and until we figure that out there's not much we can do. BUT we are still trying. Hang around we'll think of something."

I'm perfectly OK with this.
When they take out "One With Everything" I'll just go back to work.
10/04/2012 09:20 PMPosted by Couto
When they take out "One With Everything" I'll just go back to work.

Oh, it's coming. It's the perfect way to make all you monks spend more on the RMAH.
Not that I'm condoning that, just saying, it would make Brother Kotick smile.
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

buff to dashing strike distance, especially without a target, is much needed, however a cooldown should ABSOLUTELY NOT be place on the skill. monks have so many unecessary cooldowns already, most monk builds already have half the skill bar on cooldown, and that's not even counting the mantra!!! in fact, a few should be removed, like the ones on SSS and breath of heaven.

and how is monk in a fine place right now? have you not read any of the multiple posts on the forum clearly explaining how monks are far far worse than barbs at EVERYTHING!!! not even just comparing to WW barbs, any barb build will trump any monk build at the same gear level. for example healing, how is it that revenge with provocation has enough healing power to match breath of heaven if breath of heaven DID NOT HAVE A COOLDOWN, PLUS IT DOES DAMAGE!!!
New changes to 1.05 notes. Buffs to other classes. No change to monks. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!
is there any hope for the nerf on STI to be lowered? at all? :(
anyways
each time they... DODGE

Cool!

And make it dodge stuff that matters!

Dodging regular attacks means nothing. No regular attack can kill a decently geared monk. Area damage from elites are another story. And I know I am not the only one wanting this.

Yeah thats the difference btw barb and monk... monk waits for things to happen while barb make things happen..
monk--> waits for cooldown, hopes for dodge
barb--> make sure they crits to extend WOTB, crits to get fury, crit to reduce cooldown etc

nothing on monk scales.. all stuff are fixed making the only difference btw a good monk and a poor monk to be the damage only... and with the nerf from 100% to 50%, things get worst.. should a monk with chest armor of 140dex downgrade to chest armor of 100dex 40str to get more armor? since dodge after a certain level isnt important anymore.. a monk just cant see themselves upgrading much when they get better equipments...
TY for saving your face today in the monk community. 1 decent offensive passive is all we are looking for. FFS dont change OWE
A more mobile Dashing strike (longer no target dash) with cool down is a good idea.

Some other changes I'd like to see:

-Increase damage from all spirit spenders, currently nothing beats mantra spam + cyclones.

-Get rid of mantra spam mechanic. Reduce the spirit cost of Mantra and instead of the bonuses for 3 seconds, make all mantras increase spirit regen by 5 spirit / second until you attack again.

-Force armor for Mystic Ally
Edited by SugarPanda#1609 on 10/4/2012 10:04 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]