Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

10/04/2012 10:25 PMPosted by Taxian
You know, Vaeflare, if your first post had been more like your second post I might have believed you. But now, it just sounds like you're in crazy damage control mode. Also, you contradicted yourself.
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

You guys at Blizzard must be out of your minds! This is your improvements to monks?
What the F... happened to you? Maybe you should consider bringing the old crew back cos right now the only thing you can do right is milking your games. Nothing else. I haven't seen a solid game since Warcraft 3.

I am not a Diablo 3 addict but I do like to play it casually. I totally dislike playing my monk. He is the most half-baked melee I have seen. I do it just because I had hope that you would improve him somehow but I see that's not going to happen. Here is an advice - read through the forums, many people suggested good improvements, pick some. Not some BS you are writing about.
Edited by Pocolashon#1530 on 10/4/2012 10:52 PM PDT
from someone in the monk forums sorry didnt take down your name!

If Barbs were at monks level:

Tornado's LOH coefficient reduced to zero.
Battlerage: Into the fray now only effects crits occuring from rage generators
Armor now has no mitigation for environmental effects and boss effects
Strength also now suffers diminishing returns, offering half armor at 1000 strength
Bonus: One rune on each offensive skill now gives +20% armor for 3seconds
Hammer of the ancients now gains 20% more damage, but costs 250% more rage to use (half your rage)
Nerves of steel: Halved to 0.5armor
Animosity reduced to 1.3% rage per second
Bloodthirst reduced to 350 life on hit, procs off rage generators only
All lifesteal on armor is reduced to 180 life on hit, procs off rage generators only
Barb set 2 Handers no longer have double sustain (as with LPSS)
Sprint is now channelled rage cost, 8% per second, whipping out a 2h spear and spinning it
Leap no longer gives damage/targeting immunity, and cannot traverse obstacles
All skills that generate rage or have no rage cost, leap/ignore pain, now cost 10-15 rage
Taking damage no longer generates rage
Weapon master redesigned: Causes bash and cleave to add 1 stack to frenzy if you use multiple rage generators
Ruthless redesigned, now increases max rage by 75

+1
Before this post Blizzard thought monks were fine.
Now we raged them to think otherwise.

Mission Accomplished, changes incoming in 1.1
Edited by Lagoz#2302 on 10/4/2012 10:54 PM PDT
THANKYOU VAEFLARE for your posts and concerns.

Here are some constructive suggestions.

10/04/2012 07:21 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We feel that the monk has the most potential for improvement, and we have plans to make more changes to the monk after 1.0.5. The sort of changes we’d like to make are not simple number tweaks, though.

we want to provide improved passives, particularly passives that can be used for a more offensively-minded monk

• Sixth sense
  • Increases your dodge chance by 33% of your critical strike chance. Whenever you successfully dodge twice in a row, your next attack has 100% chance to critical strike

• Chant of resonance
  • 2 spirit per second. Mantras gain unlimited duration. Dealing damage with any offensive skill causes your active mantra to "refresh" and activate its secondary effect.

• Guiding light
  • Increases the range of breath of heaven by 300%. Whenever you directly heal any friendly target, you both gain +15% move speed, attack speed and resource generation for 15 seconds

• Near death experience
  • Resets the cooldown on all spells. Spells cost no spirit and you deal 100% more damage for 5 seconds.

• Fleet footed
  • Increases movement speed by 20%
    Increases attack speed by 15%
    Lowers all damage dealt by 15%
    A paper-doll nerf, but gives the option for monks to have faster movement and spirit regen for that "ninja feeling"

• Guardian's path
  • Increases dodge chance by 15%. When not using a shield, gain a 15% chance to block for an amount equal to your mainhand base damage.
    Diabos get double both effects

• Pacifism
  • While you are under a stun, fear, or charm effect all damage is reduced by 75%. Also reduces all environmental damage by a percentage equal to your dodge chance. (not offensive but this is what it would take to use pacifism)

• Exalted soul
  • Increases max spirit by 100, spirit generation by 35%, spirit spenders gain critical strike chance equal to 10% of your remaining spirit

Ultimately, we want to make monks more engaging to play and really immerse players in what it would feel like to be a fast-punching martial arts master.

• Combination strike
  • Redesign: Whenever you use any different ability, gain 3% movement and attack speeds for 7 seconds. Spirit generators get triple these benefits

• Transcendence
  • Redesign: Whenever a generator causes you to reach maximum spirit, you enter an empowered trance until your spirit reaches zero.
    All spells cost no spirit, instead you continuously drain 7spirit/second
    Increases movespeed by 7%
    Increases attack speed by 7%
    Increases dodge chance by 7%
    Increases critical hit chance by 7%
    Everytime you dodge, your next attack has 100% chance to crit
    Glows with intense lightning. A whirling storm forms inside the spirit "globe".
    Just make 1.05 go away till you figure this out.
    "Everything is fine as usual"
    "Working as intended"

As usual, your intentions suck. You guys think that you're capable of coming up with your own solutions to the problems that you don't even understand. Every single time you try to "fix" something, nothing gets solved, and often it just gets even worse.

Start listening to your players' suggestions, douchelords. It really is that simple; christ you guys aren't very bright at all.

Monks need less mandatory skills, you don't do that by nerfing mandatory skills to the ground, you do it by making the other skills GOOD. So what do you come up with? Switching knockback on lashing tail kick onto a rune? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SOLVING? You people are dumber than rocks.
    Here are the changes that I would like to see on monk's passives:

1) Merge Exalted Soul and Transcendence into ONE passive.

2) Six Sense : allow us to dodge environmental effects and boss effects at the rate of 50% of our dodge rate. Every time we dodge an attack, critical hit chance increase by 20% for the next 1 attack. (crit hit chance is reset after we made an attack, but can stack for higher chance)

3) The Guardian's Path: Dual Wield +20% dodge, 2hand + 50% spirit regen, add in another effect of +5% attack speed when we dual wield, +25% crit damage when we uses 2 handed weapon. (Perhaps we can also add +10% block rate and +100% shield defense for shield user)

4) Beacon of Ytar: Reduce all cooldown by 15%, reduce all skill spirit cost by 15%.

5) Combination Strike: Each different offensive attacking skill you use increase your damage by 8% for 3 seconds.

6) Seize the Initiative: +1 def for each DEX is too strong? Lets change the skill to double the effect of what all the stat gives us; (eg: +2 def for each STR, +1 all resist for every 5 INT, increase HP gain by 50% for every VIT, and double the dodge rate of what DEX is giving us now.) With this, we should be able to dodge better without changing the diminishing return rate of how dodge is right now. Though I'm not saying we don't need a rescale in dodge diminishing return rate.

With a passive allowing us to dodge ground damage, it will allow more diversity in builds and reduces the backlash from the community regarding the nerf to our defensive passive. Then again, we still need a major revamp of our active skill.
    We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

Please stop drinking the !@#$ water..

Sincerly,
    Modz

Twitch.tv/datmodz
    90 Worgen Mage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KqqRPvM_Sw this is what i feel like when i play my monk
    Do people want every class to play the same? Why even have class's. Monks should be poised thoughtfull and more defensive then a savage barbarian. Not everyone should do as much damage as a mage but he/she should never be as defensive as a barb or monk. Please quit expecting every class do be able to do what another can. There are differant class's for a reason. *Edit*

Amazing. There actually is a poster who gets it.
    Edited by Jason#1250 on 10/4/2012 11:08 PM PDT
    10/04/2012 11:08 PMPosted by Jason
    Do people want every class to play the same? Why even have class's. Monks should be poised thoughtfull and more defensive then a savage barbarian. Not everyone should do as much damage as a mage but he/she should never be as defensive as a barb or monk. Please quit expecting every class do be able to do what another can. There are differant class's for a reason. *Edit*

Amazing. There actually is a poster who gets it.

Faster. Higher. Stronger. Better.
    Barbs have the highest theoretical DPS. Highest theoretical movespeed. Highest theoretical eHP.
    They are they only class that can traverse up and down levels and cliffs.

Oh and what about at-the-wheels? The combination in practice is even worse...
    Just look at any ww barb stream and compare it to another class at 2x fast forward. WW barb wins.

So what "role" or "toys" does any other class have that compares to barb? None.
    Do we want every class to play the same? No.

All we want is not to have 1 class which is the ACE OF ALL TRADES.
    Vaeflare, a little advice.

Until you guys have decided where you want to go with monks, I think you should hold off the nerfs in 1.05 for monks.
    This is why nobody can believe a word you say.

Your first post saying monks are SOLID CLASS in terms of power....

10/03/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Vaeflare

Your VERY NEXT POST saying the class isn't where we want it to be

While there are currently solid build options for monks both in 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, and while top-tiered monks using very specific builds can achieve respectable damage, the class isn’t yet where we want it to be. We’re definitely aware of your concerns, and we agree that additional improvements should be made, especially with regards to play style options, build diversity, and the performance and budget of monk resources. We feel that the monk has the most potential for improvement, and we have plans to make more changes to the monk after 1.0.5. The sort of changes we’d like to make are not simple number tweaks, though.

Herp a derp... Blue post... lol
    Edited by GothicSaint#6149 on 10/4/2012 11:31 PM PDT
    from someone in the monk forums sorry didnt take down your name!

If Barbs were at monks level:

Tornado's LOH coefficient reduced to zero.
    Battlerage: Into the fray now only effects crits occuring from rage generators
    Armor now has no mitigation for environmental effects and boss effects
    Strength also now suffers diminishing returns, offering half armor at 1000 strength
    Bonus: One rune on each offensive skill now gives +20% armor for 3seconds
    Hammer of the ancients now gains 20% more damage, but costs 250% more rage to use (half your rage)
    Nerves of steel: Halved to 0.5armor
    Animosity reduced to 1.3% rage per second
    Bloodthirst reduced to 350 life on hit, procs off rage generators only
    All lifesteal on armor is reduced to 180 life on hit, procs off rage generators only
    Barb set 2 Handers no longer have double sustain (as with LPSS)
    Sprint is now channelled rage cost, 8% per second, whipping out a 2h spear and spinning it
    Leap no longer gives damage/targeting immunity, and cannot traverse obstacles
    All skills that generate rage or have no rage cost, leap/ignore pain, now cost 10-15 rage
    Taking damage no longer generates rage
    Weapon master redesigned: Causes bash and cleave to add 1 stack to frenzy if you use multiple rage generators
    Ruthless redesigned, now increases max rage by 75

+1

This is so beautifully succinct, it should be required reading for anyone thinking monks have it good.
    SOLID MONK = GODLY GEAR
    C Rank = 250 mil build
    B Rank = 400 mil build
    A Rank = 500 plus mil build

alrite, this is awesome....just plain great...
    30 over odd pages of feedback on the state of Monk and if they still claim that Monk class is still in a decent state?

Time to lay off the weed, unplug your earplugs, and stop staring at Kate upon's poster.

Be clean like a Monk and get to work.
    And this is why I quit after reading what will be changed in 1.05. Not because of those changes per se, but the ongoing changes.

Since the game was released, Blizzard have been monitoring what players are doing in game (obviously). As soon as a trend appears (usually because it is powerful/good) Blizzard then nerf it a little and give a buff somewhere else - to what end I do not know.

It's frustrating. I've put around 1000 hours in D3 and am done.. had I been told this prior to 15/05/12 I would have shook my head in doubt.

With #0,000 hours in D2 I was expecting many years out of D3.

How could Blizzard get it so consistently wrong.

My Monk's gear is pretty much all sold just the weapons and amulet to go.
    The WD still has to be sold off but no real valueables there.
    Other than that I'm playing out the HC monk I have until he dies.
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]