Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

Blizz Just change the name of the game to Barblo ( since you guys only focus on Barb only )

Last but not least just make every character become a barb ok? solve all the thing
Edited by Kuro#6681 on 10/3/2012 6:33 PM PDT
For what it's worth, I don't even play a monk and that response from Blizzard just made sure I won't be any time soon.

Seriously... these boards have been filled with complaints about what's being done to the monk class in 1.05 and the response is "Well we think it's good enough" really comes off as a slap in the face to those whom have been supplying the feedback.

Just imagine ordering a steak, getting a hamburger and when you tell the waiter you wanted steak they reply with "Well, we think that the burger is good enough" man I would be whipping that damn burger right across the room before walking out.
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

Well, now we know why they're so afraid to talk in any thread about monks. This is freaking hilarious. 90% of the mantra runes are crap. Horrible passives. Most spirit spenders still too gimmicky to consider. And 'we feel monks are fine'. We have two builds! two! sweeping wind, or 2h WoL. We use 'heals that increase damage' not because of the heal but because a 15% damage increase is more useful than another active skill - do you not see a problem with this? /sigh, can i transfer my plvls to another character? ;)
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

I do believe that monk skills need a bit of a buff. However, the main thing that would improve monks would be to replace some defensive passives with some offensive ones. Like increased crit chance or attack speed or something along those lines. Just some food for thought.

decent place? does anyone on the DEV team actually play a monk primary?
You honestly cannot be serious. Decent place at the moment? So by every monk using essentially the same build and the exact two same passives everytime, there's nothing wrong with us? Our heals don't scale, we barely have any passive DPS buffs, Dodge is completely broken endgame, our spirit regen is based specifically on IAS, and since the 50% nerf to IAS, you have still yet to respond on how you're fixing that. On top of that, our skills are quite costly spirit-wise.

If you're trying to troll us, then +1 for the effort. Otherwise, please re-think your response more effectively.

10/03/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power
Monks are absolutely not in the right place, especially compared to some of the major classes. (Wizard, Barb) The changes you propose are less than attractive.

Don't get me wrong, I love my monk. It's the only class I play, really. But this post should have been caught before it was posted. The player base disagrees with you pretty heavily.
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
wow.

this thread make me so sad it's not even funny.

I was getting hopeful with all the monks out there being vocal about our "1 spec for all!" problem.

And here we have a "1 spec is working as intended!" response.

/cries

Chances of getting the Tempest Rush re-work that I want? hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahaa
And then depression sets in...
For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown.

Thanks you stupid whining kiddies, now they are going to nerf our best Skill, a cooldown
would completle destroy that great skill.
Edited by Oahwaschl#2328 on 10/3/2012 6:48 PM PDT
tons of qq in this thread! i love it!
That's really disappointing to hear.

- Are you not concerned that monk spirit generation is approximately a linear function of attack speed? All the other classes have numerous effective means for generating their resource, but monks just have to auto-attack. A lot.
- Are you not concerned that a monk has to auto-attack more than 10 times just to use wave of light once (other spirit spenders fare little better)?
- Are you not concerned that simply throwing up active buffs takes anywhere from 1/3 to an entire spirit bar? Sweeping wind + mantra alone are already 125 spirit, which takes up to 20 autoattacks to generate.
- Are you not concerned that monk playstyles are almost identical across all endgame monks?
- Are you not concerned that the monk information listed under "Combos" is downright false? (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/monk/)
- Are you not concerned about the boring, defensive nature of monk passives?

The monk suffers serious design issues, including their entire resource system. Hearing Blizzard say that they think monks are generally in a good place is enormously disappointing.

Just look at this description of the spirit resource:

Spirit replenishes slowly. It is generated in two ways – by specific skills and attacks, and by the completion of combos. Monks who chain their attacks carefully can continue a near-endless barrage of Spirit-fueled strikes.

Spirit is a valuable resource, but massive expenditures of this force allow a monk to call upon potent dodges and defensive moves, as well as monster-slaying finishing strikes.

Thanks to monks’ physical perfection and martial talent, they are free to deliver as many empowered strikes as their Spirit pools will allow – without waiting for ability ‘cooldowns.’

What happened to the bold parts?
Edited by Saigyouji#1546 on 10/3/2012 7:04 PM PDT

I do believe that monk skills need a bit of a buff. However, the main thing that would improve monks would be to replace some defensive passives with some offensive ones. Like increased crit chance or attack speed or something along those lines. Just some food for thought.

The thing that's really biting me right now in my TR build is hit recovery... ie knockbacks, vortexes, etc. Would be nice to get a rune that did something like 50(?)% chance to ignore movement impairing effects... though I haven't thought about it much more than that.

I guess the issue is synergies among skills. Not many people are going to switch to Dashing Strike or Lashing Tail Kick unless the damage/power of it was overpowered. Until that time, they'd rather stick with skills that complement, like Conviction+Sweeping+Fists etc...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Zd7YD3uuM

Skip to 10:40

What ever happened to that? I would like to make the monk I want to make, but alas, I can't, because I'm locked into a specific build if I want to compete with other classes. A specific build that includes 2 mandatory passives; of which one has already been nerfed, and you want to nerf the other one. Thanks.
This is really getting sad folks. It's looking more and more like this team really has no idea what the !@#$ they're doing :(
10/03/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Spizzlespee
Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully.

If Lashing tail kick could be a substitute for the boring sweeping wind, then by all means i will use it, but that means it would need a huge damage buff. I like the knockback, thats what makes the skill what it is.

10/03/2012 05:40 PMPosted by jwjw85
For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown

NO. What do you mean travel further? Dashing Strike is my favorite skill, the changes you have made so far to 1.0.5 for DS is great but cooldown? Nope, not gonna use the skill if theres a cooldown.

10/03/2012 05:40 PMPosted by jwjw85
These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors

You bet, these changes aren't at all what we asked for in monks. We want a buff for the monk, more diverse/fun skills, more viable passives, not this BS.
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power

I agree, I really like the .33 per second spirit recharge rate in the monk set.

I also did notice that monk was the last class to make paragon 100 and has the fewest that are 100....but hey,...in a great place. Please nerf us more.
Edited by BoSMud#1200 on 10/3/2012 7:01 PM PDT

1.Monk able to channel four major element i.e Earth, Water, Air & Fire. Greater amplification of elemental damage & radius. Item specific elemental bonuses eg. Schaefer Two-Hander.

2.Speed. In martial discipline, Monk is fastest both in attack & avoidance roll. Short burst of power, added range & radius as of currently is fine but first hit are deadliest it should send "shockwaves" reeling effects upon target(s). Dodge due to Monk's near-superhuman speed it literally absorb (deflect) damage, it should be as in "Dodge" value + Armor (as in Physical Threshold) but not against non-physical threat.

3.Fist Attack (example): A massive one hit, bypass Armor. Character becomes immobile for one second as penalty. This could be activate once when Uniques Monster health below 15%.

4.Parry Kick, transfer of energy then release: This could serve as one time cancellation of fatal blow with devastating reflect damage.

5.Steps of Pheonix: Combo martial art movement... 1 step 2 step 3 side 4 back 5 then short dash 6. Can be activate only after using No.4, for example.

6.Lore-like Idle animation.

Thanks.
10/03/2012 06:53 PMPosted by Laws
I would like to make the monk I want to make, but alas, I can't, because I'm locked into a specific build if I want to compete with other classes. A specific build that includes 2 mandatory passives; of which one has already been nerfed, and you want to nerf the other one. Thanks.

Exactly, the monk has cool builds, but if want to farm efficeintly, I have to use the usual cookie-cuttter build, which is boring.

Right now, its all about doing the most DPS, in higher monsters monster simply have more health, and do a bit more damage. It needs to be the other way around. A lot more damage, a bit more health. Then, tank builds, dodge builds, LPS builds, Spirit regen builds, LPSS builds, will survive be able to farm in higher MPs.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]