Diablo® III

Monster Power and Infernal Machine: An FAQ

There are about a million different threads popping up in the past few days asking about various different aspects of the new systems. I figured it would be a good idea to put as many answer in one place as possible.

Monster Power
Q: How do I use the monster power system?
A: First, you need to enable it in the 'Gameplay' page in the options menu. There is a checkbox labeled "Enable Monster Power Selection." Once this box is checked, you can select a monster power level in the bottom-left-side of the quest selection screen from the menu. NOTE Monster power must be set before you start a game, and cannot be changed while you are in a game.

Q: What are the rewards for playing with monster power on?
A: With monster power enabled, you are granted scaling bonuses to magic find, gold find and experience gain, as well as (on inferno) the chance for a bonus item to drop from any monster that has passed the initial roll drop an item. The full rewards of the monster power system are outlined in the blog, found here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7540457/Monster_Power_More_Guts_More_Glory-10_11_2012

One last benefit of monster power is that all monsters are set to mlvl 63 when playing on monster power 1 or higher. With the change to affix rolls in 1.0.5, this means that any item below ilvl 63 will still roll affixes as if it were an ilvl 63 item.

Q: Where is the best place to farm?
A: Anywhere you want! The monster power system makes it so that monsters across all acts of the game have roughly the same damage and HP. IE: Monsters in act 1 on monster power 1 will have the same HP and damage values as monsters in act 3 on monster power 1.

The Infernal Machine
Q: Where are the Keywardens?
A: The Act 1 warden is located in the Fields of Misery. The act 2 warden is located in Dahlgur Oasis. The act 3 warden is located in Stonefort. The act 4 warden is located in The Silver Spire, Level 1. The first 3 wardens drop keys which will be needed to craft each infernal machine, while the Act 4 warden drops the plans for crafting the Infernal Machine. You will need to find one of each key for every infernal machine you make, but you only need to find the plans once.

Q: What are the chances for the keys to drop? Does magic find affect them? How about nephalem valor?
A: They keywardens will only drop the keys on Inferno difficulty, and only if you have 5 stacks of nephalem valor when you kill them. Without monster power enabled (aka MP0), there is a 5% chance for a warden to drop a key when killed. Each successive difficulty has a 10% chance per monster power level; 10% chance on monster power 1, 50% on monster power 5, 100% chance on monster power 10.

Magic find does not affect these chances. These chances are identical for the organs dropping from 'Uber Bosses.'

Q: How many keys do I need?
A: Each Infernal Machine requires 1 of each key to be made, and is consumed on use. To make a Hellfire ring, you need one each of 3 organs. Assuming each 'uber boss' you kill drops his organ, you will need 3 of each key to make 1 hellfire ring. You only have to find the plans for the Infernal Machine once, however. They keys do not stack, so its wise to create the infernal machines to save storage space.

Q: Can I get multiple copes of the same key? or multiple Infernal Machines?
A: Yes. In fact, it's probably a good idea to wait until you have 3 machines before attempting the 'ubers.' When a machine is used, the portal it opens is random. However, each portal can only be opened once in each game, so you will be guaranteed to get all 3 portals if you use 3 machines in the same game.

Q: Can I play with other people in monster power games?
A: Yes, but only private games. The monster power system is unavailable in public games.

Q: Where do I find the jewelcrafting and blacksmithing plans I will need?
A: The blacksmithing plans for the infernal machine can be found on the Act 4 key warden in The Silver Spire, level 1. You will need 5 stacks of NV to see the drop.

The jewelcrafting plans for the hellfire ring can be bought for 2 million gold in inferno act 2 from squirt the peddler, the small girl NPC just north of the waypoint. Buying the plans once will teach your jewelcrafter how to make all 4 versions of the ring.

These plans both count towards the achievements to teach your crafting npc a certain number of plans.

Q: Where do I use the Infernal Machine?
A: There is a shack behind the healer in New Tristram in act 1. When you are on the quest "Return to New Tristram," the wooden door on this shack can be broken.

Q: What is so special about the Hellfire ring? What if i don't like mine?
A: The Hellfire ring grants a bonus 35% experience and a chance to launch a fireball when you attack. When you craft the ring, you select one of the 4 core stats, which the ring will receive 170-200 of. The ring also spawns with 4 random modifiers.

If you aren't happy with your ring, it doesn't have a level requirement, so its perfect for leveling an alt. If you have absolutely nothing to do with your ring, it can be salvaged for inferno level crafting mats.

This is by no means a comprehensive list, at least not yet. It's very late, so I'm going to go to sleep, and I will update this with more FAQs tomorrow. Feel free to drop your questions or any questions you've seen clogging up the front page, and let me know if / where I've made any mistakes.
Edited by AangTheNomad#1702 on 10/22/2012 12:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
A FAQ.*
Not 'an FAQ'.
Reply Quote
A FAQ.*
Not 'an FAQ'.

I was going to say just that!
Reply Quote
not really, its an EF A Q as intended, not a frequently asked questions,
Reply Quote
10/18/2012 04:55 AMPosted by Thundaga
A FAQ

English fail!
Reply Quote
A FAQ.*
Not 'an FAQ'.

I just came here to say this ^
Reply Quote
A FAQ.*
Not 'an FAQ'.

Actually, "An FAQ" is correct. The choice of whether to use "a" or "an" is NOT dictated by the first letter of the word that follows, but rather the SOUND of the first letter of the word that follows. Since "FAQ" is pronounced in common parlance by saying the letters "f", "a", and "q" and the first sound of the letter "f" is a vowel sound (i.e. "eff" phonetically), "an" is the correct article here.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/591/01/
Edited by Mandlebarb#1598 on 10/18/2012 2:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If you read "FAQ" as a word pronounced 'fack' or 'faque', then, yes, "a faq" is the proper grammatical usage.

However, I read "FAQ" as an acronym, as individual letters. Do you read FBI or FYI or UFO phonetically?

On topic, I've added a few more questions. Let me know if you can think of any others that are commonly asked or need an explanation.
Reply Quote
"I'm an FBI agent."

You don't say "I'm a FBI agent"

I agree with Aang

edit: Monster Power works in public games. It adopts the selected MP of the game creator.
Edited by Euphoreia#6673 on 10/18/2012 5:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wow...guys guys! you should come here to say "Thank You" not correct his english (or mine :P).

Thanks for the guide :)
Reply Quote
Thanks for the support :) I think its just a preference thing, some people read it as a word, not an acrynym.

10/18/2012 05:06 PMPosted by Euphoreia
edit: Monster Power works in public games. It adopts the selected MP of the game creator.

This is incorrect. When in a game with monster power enabled, the 'Open Game to Public' button is grayed out. Hovering over the button will display a message stating "Unable to set the game access mode while the game has some monster power level set."
Edited by AangTheNomad#1702 on 10/18/2012 5:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Damn, where were the English teacher when I needed an online tutor?
Reply Quote
Thanks for the support :) I think its just a preference thing, some people read it as a word, not an acrynym.

This is incorrect. When in a game with monster power enabled, the 'Open Game to Public' button is grayed out. Hovering over the button will display a message stating "Unable to set the game access mode while the game has some monster power level set."

I stand corrected :) I was thinking private group games.
Reply Quote
Updated with a few more questions.

Let me know if you find any that I've missed.
Reply Quote
Can help add the following:

1. The keys can be stacked.

2. Do you need to open all 3 portals at the same time, or can I open one first, defeated the bosses, then open the second one, etc?
Reply Quote
Can help add the following:

1. The keys can be stacked.

2. Do you need to open all 3 portals at the same time, or can I open one first, defeated the bosses, then open the second one, etc?

1.) I added the stacking bit.

2.) i haven't yet used the infernal machines, but from my understanding, a second infernal machine cannot be used until the bosses from the first have been killed. The infernal machine opens a random portal of the 3, but each portal can only be opened once per game. To ensure you get one of each portal as quickly as possible, using 3 machines in the same game is the best chance.
Reply Quote
anyone have more questions to add?
Reply Quote
I just want to be sure but you only need 1 organ to make a HellFire ring right and does it cost any gold when you make a HellFire ring? I know that the Machine cost you 12K :p
Reply Quote
10/19/2012 09:26 PMPosted by ShadowHunter
I just want to be sure but you only need 1 organ to make a HellFire ring right and does it cost any gold when you make a HellFire ring? I know that the Machine cost you 12K :p

sorry to get back to you so late shadow. you need 1 of EACH organ to make the ring, and it costs 50k.
Reply Quote
So ideally for max efficiency you'd wan't to open the three portals in a game with MP10 to get an organ with every version and a guaranteed ring?

What would you suggest for those that can only handle low MP levels? Start a game with higher MP then invite high level strangers into the game to make the kill for you? Would that work? Any downside?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]