Diablo® III

WoS best in group ubers? (Info/Tutorial/Pics)

I've been testing MP 8 uber runs lately using Well of Souls as a primary and Rush of Essence + SA as a passive @ 1.20 attack speed (Thanks Jibikao for his original post and tutorial as well on WoS). I have only a single piece of mana regen gear on my helmet. The results are indeed interesting. I'll do my best to illustrate. Incoming wall of text.

First:

Spirit barrage / WoS gives you the ability to hit a target with 230% damage, and three extra souls at 65% with a chance to crit--putting this skill at 425% damage to one target.

However, anybody who's touched well of souls will immediately experience its finnicky lock on system and channeling. However, there is a trick to focus all souls onto one designated target.

The problem: You cannot hover your mouse over the designated target. Doing so will cause the souls to fire souls in a 360 direction which ultimately nets a DPS loss. Shown here

http://i.imgur.com/ooEEC.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/fQSIK.jpg

You can see that my mouse pointer turns a sword and the targets name appears above --that means you are targeting TOO CLOSE. The result is souls are firing behind and every which way at NO target while your WD grasps at air like a man falling 3,000 feet to his doom. YOU DO NOT WANT THIS.

In order to aim WoS properly, you must KEEP YOUR MOUSE OFF TARGET, but within proximity closest to your designated target. Seems a little complicated? Here are some pictures

Keep your eye on where my cursor is

http://i.imgur.com/jN8mi.jpg?1 (My character aiming down south.)
http://i.imgur.com/9WtXK.jpg?1 (My character aiming from the west.)
http://i.imgur.com/nw0Po.jpg?1 (From the north)

My cursor in all three pictures NEVER come in contact with the monster. You never see its health above your screen. All souls track to the target in closest proximity and that is how the damage from WoS is maximized.

The cursor does not necessarily have to be to the "left" or to the "right", but you must assume that every single target has a "zone" for all spirits to lock on. Like so:

http://i.imgur.com/ubGFZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/M7eqW.jpg

The black bubble designates the areas where your cursor can go that allow the souls to theoretically lock onto the target. However, you wouldn't want to aim it behind the monster because you risk highlighting its name (BAD, WILL SCATTER SOULS)--or highlight another monster which would ultimately throw your souls off track anyway.

So now that you are aiming those souls properly--if you are given a chance to stand still, this is the end result

http://i.imgur.com/WTU5G.jpg

A constantly streaming rainbow of 425% damage.

This may be a suitable alternative (possibly even) than bears because of two things

- The distance you are allowed.
- The constant upkeep of damage (with only one piece of mana regen gear/SA/RoE and 1.20 atk speed, you can SB all night long)
- The terrain advantage. See here http://i.imgur.com/9NSix.jpg

Problems did arise however:
- I noticed that WoS has a somewhat low proc rate (Crits/Lifesteal)
- The start up time is somewhat slow (for some reason, it feels like the initial barrage takes
a little bit slower until it starts up into a rainbow of damage)
- You may have to join SB with zombie bears anyways in case you need to clear out any mobs summoned.

But you know--this information was just tested with group ubers. It doesn't matter if zombie bears is better than spirit barrage or if spirit barrage is better than zombie bears if the end result produces this

http://i.imgur.com/rAc2k.jpg

Take the information and do whatever you want with it.
Edited by Lmaoonadee#1981 on 10/24/2012 3:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This is where Well of Souls finally clicked for me, was for uber battles.

Great Tutorial you have here.

I switched to using this build for my uber killing on MP 6 and 7.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#agXhUf!UcW!aZYccc

I end up using Darts and WoS as my primary attacks. Darts to proc VQ, and then I pile on the WoS. I have bears for life steal bursts when I need them. Typically in the Ghom/Rak and Skeleton King/Mag battles. I have locusts so I'm getting slightly more life coming in on top of my 1250 life regen (buffed from Blood Ritual), Otherwise I swap to a Gargantuan if I'm in a 3 player game with two melee classes.
Edited by DonBukka#1245 on 10/24/2012 2:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
BEST BEST BEST tut for WoS ever -- big effing cudos to OP. I'm completely sold for awhile now; you are dead-on on AS for proper use... about 1.2 is limit without mana problems. I do have to experiment more, but my wifey gives me little time these days.
THANKS!!
Reply Quote
I end up using Darts and WoS as my primary attacks. Darts to proc VQ, and then I pile on the WoS.

Hmm, do you really need to proc VQ to spam on the WoS? At 1.20 attack speed and a RoE passive with spirit walk/honored guest I was never really in any danger of going out of mana.

Maybe you can free up the darts skill slot and take RoE instead of VQ?
Reply Quote
It would be so much better if we could just click on teh targets to focus fire them. lol.

Gets annoying when you want to check their HP, or cast another spell.
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 04:29 AMPosted by Lmaoonadee
I end up using Darts and WoS as my primary attacks. Darts to proc VQ, and then I pile on the WoS.

Hmm, do you really need to proc VQ to spam on the WoS? At 1.20 attack speed and a RoE passive with spirit walk/honored guest I was never really in any danger of going out of mana.

Maybe you can free up the darts skill slot and take RoE instead of VQ?

I'm at 1.56 attacks per second so maybe that's why I have to proc VQ.

I'll try to play around with it some more.
Edited by DonBukka#1245 on 10/24/2012 7:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
For those going for SA instead of BR: If you get 1.1k mana (tops?) you get 11mana regen in addition, with SA. BR gives 15% reduction on mana cost, so its a 16 mana saving each SB skill use. Even if you have only 1AS, its better then SA. If you have 2 AS you save effectively 32 mana per second, as you fire 2 SBs.

For the OP, i appreciate the tuto in the name of WD community too. I did figured this but thought this was somewhat a common sense hehe.

Anyway, with Roe, having only 55 base mp regen (i think i have only 1 piece of regen - mojo) i can spam SB infinitelly. I can hit up to 138mp/s (to whom doesnt know, RoE is accumulative, so every SB will add 4.9mp regen for 10 secs), by the cost of only 123mp/sec @ 1.33AS.

Cheers.
Edited by Cassianno#1402 on 10/24/2012 9:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm at 1.56 attacks per second so maybe that's why I have to proc VQ.

I'll try to play around with it some more.

I can kinda understand why VQ would be used at a higher attack speed.

I don't have the attack speed you have, but we have the same mana and mana regen basically. Even though you're geared WAY better then me lol.

But when I use RoE & BR. I can spam WoS for days, and after spamming WoS a few times, I can spam Bears for days. I was really surprised at this actually, it makes my WD really diverse in all situations.

I'd suggest at least giving RoE & BR a good go. I was able to drop Haunt with the 20MPS rune for Bears because it works so well lol.

But in regards to the OP, this is an awesome post. This is going to help people who are having a difficult time using WoS to it's potential.
Reply Quote
Awesome OP!!!

I did a tutorial on this in 1.04 but I didn't have any pictures to show. You did an excellent job illustrating.

Yes, WoS is extremely good in Uber fight because even if you don't aim "off" target, there are always two bosses that are pretty close to each other and all four souls can track very nicely.

By the way, you are better off using BR than SA if you spam faster than 1.00 per second. :P You get 1% life regen too.
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 10/24/2012 9:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If you are only choosing one then BR > SA every single time.
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 01:49 AMPosted by Lmaoonadee
I noticed that WoS has a somewhat low proc rate (Crits/Lifesteal)

Neither crits or lifesteal are affected by procrate. The only WD who need to worry about proc rate are those stacking life on hit instead of lifesteal.

Its a great ubers build though
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 10:22 AMPosted by Silvar
I noticed that WoS has a somewhat low proc rate (Crits/Lifesteal)

Neither crits or lifesteal are affected by procrate. The only WD who need to worry about proc rate are those stacking life on hit instead of lifesteal.

Its a great ubers build though

Yes, I believe WoS has 100% proc rate, 25% from each soul. I have never tested it though. I almost think it's a bit less than that because Reflect is still giving me problem with 3% LS and 300 LoH. Oh well, maybe my WoS was hitting too hard with SOJ.
Reply Quote
I tried WoS, but it seems like a spell that will really shine if you are using 1h and offhand. For slower attack speeds/2h weapons it doesn't come close to bears because mana is less of an issue. If I ever make the switch to 1h I will check it out again though.
Reply Quote
I did a tutorial on this in 1.04 but I didn't have any pictures to show. You did an excellent job illustrating.

By the way, you are better off using BR than SA if you spam faster than 1.00 per second. :P You get 1% life regen too.

I recall actually reading your thread about it and finally giving it a go! I should credit you for inspiring me to actually pick it up and play with it. I will definitely try BR tonight!

10/24/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Goonster
I tried WoS, but it seems like a spell that will really shine if you are using 1h and offhand. For slower attack speeds/2h weapons it doesn't come close to bears because mana is less of an issue. If I ever make the switch to 1h I will check it out again though.

Ubers are my only break from using bears. When it comes to run efficiency I totally drop SB. However, I feel like SB will outshine bears 10/10 instances when it comes to ubers because of the easy focus fire/range.

For example, ghom and his gases at MP 8-9 will certainly take a toll on you if you get into melee bears range where all 4 bears will hit. That or your back must be against the wall, but that can be a difficult situation to allow yourself to be in sometimes.

Maghda is also another example. Her butterflies can pretty much be the death of you if you stand too close. I can't mention the amount of times where I could just SB behind the throne, across the gap in the middle of the map, and above higher ground where I'm completely safe from the butterflies.

I mean--this skill is the definition of a lazy WD. You literally sit there and hold the mouse button down.
Edited by Lmaoonadee#1981 on 10/24/2012 3:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I recall actually reading your thread about it and finally giving it a go! I should credit you for inspiring me to actually pick it up and play with it. I will definitely try BR tonight!

It was hard to persuade people that WoS was good in 1.04 because the range was only 25' for the 3 extra souls. People would think that if they have to stand that close for WoS to hit, then they might as well spam Bear. The 40 yard saves this rune IMO. :P

PS: WoS wasn't that "lazy" back in 1.04 'cause I had to constantly move forward to adjust the distance and 25' yard could be quite hard to "aim off" if the target is moving (IE: Quills). 1.05 is definitely easier.
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 10/24/2012 3:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Definitely, the 40 range allows more leeway and does make this a viable rune! Although it still does make me want a little bit more from the spell. I can't quite put my hand on what it needs to be better though..
Reply Quote
pictures of hellfire ring really mean nothing. or at least to me. I'd rather have pictures of you fighting ubbers with it and the dmg rates.

as for range..in all uber battles WD has a place or a place to stand against a wall of extend that range of ZB (my current uber killer0

Fatty + Rak = pillars and side walls for range extension

Zul + Seige = you hex on zul and kite hard. you can ZB on him too while he is hexed. depending on your mana situ save some for hex

Maggots + King = kite and ZB off walls. there are plenty.
Edited by NgArclite#1673 on 10/24/2012 8:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 08:26 PMPosted by NgArclite
pictures of hellfire ring really mean nothing. or at least to me. I'd rather have pictures of you fighting ubbers with it and the dmg rates.

I'm confused, I thought I did have like 8 pictures of me fighting ubers with soul barrage? The hellfire ring picture was just a joke--since all that work was for a crappy stat roll. I'm not sure if you got that . . .

Last I checked Jynx was also bugged--either the damage wasn't showing up or there was no damage being done when you ZB'd something that was hexed. Did they fix this in a hotfix?

Not only that, but I also didn't know you could hex ubers either. That's news to me actually!

Of course there's always somewhere for a WD to sit and roll out bears, but like I said--sometimes the group you are running with or the situation doesn't always allow you to plant your feet against a wall and continue to roll out the bears.

Whereas with WoS, you don't need a wall, can focus fire much more easily, and keep up a constant amount of damage even if you don't have an expensive four piece zuni set.
Edited by Lmaoonadee#1981 on 10/24/2012 10:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Last I checked Jynx was also bugged--either the damage wasn't showing up or there was no damage being done when you ZB'd something that was hexed. Did they fix this in a hotfix?

The damage is dealt, numbers just don't show up. It's a known issue for Blizzard.

Not only that, but I also didn't know you could hex ubers either. That's news to me actually!

You can hex only Kulle, the rest are immune.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]