Diablo® III

About Hex and Mass Confusion

Since 1.0.5 crowd control is much more viable so I'm working on making the most of it but this raised some questions about the skills in the title and since I couldn't find anything in other threads (I hope because there aren't such information not because of me being dumb), I have to open a new one.
Here are the questions:
1. Are some monsters immune to Hex as I think like Tremors in Act III or it's just something not working as intended?
2. How does the damage buff from Mass Confusion/Paranoia affect monster? Does it work like Big Bad Voodoo or monsters caught in the cast area at the moment of cast, and only those monsters, are affected indipendently of where they go after?

I hope I made myself clear, thanks in advance for the answers.
Reply Quote
Not sure if anything is immune to hex, but i know sometimes he'll just chill without hexing anything. Very annoying.
Reply Quote
1. There are a few that are immune to the shape-shifting aspect of hex. The damage debuff still applies to them, though. (Trees in act 1 for example)

2. I believe it applies a debuff to the mobs that are in range of the original casting. So even if they move out of the initial area, they're still debuffed. Same applies to the reverse, if they're not in the range then move in close, they wont have the damage debuff.
Edited by Meznard#1496 on 10/19/2012 7:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would also like to know: how well does MC work on ubers? Do they beat on each other? For the full 12 seconds? Thanks.
Reply Quote
10/19/2012 08:06 AMPosted by weesheng
1. There are a few that are immune to the shape-shifting aspect of hex. The damage debuff still applies to them, though. (Trees in act 1 for example)

This is interesting, I didn't notice this. Does the damage debuff apply to Act bosses and Ubers as well? And how do you tell if they have the debuff?

There was an old school post way back that had the math and testing with it. People were skeptical that hex was useless on those creatures (which by visual, made sense).

I ran hex from launch to 1.0.4 so it caught my eye. The easiest way to test is to gimp your character so that your damage is pretty constant and easy to recognize with a skill, apply hex, and see.

Now if it changed in 1.0.4-1.0.5, I don't know. It wouldn't make sense to, but stranger things have happened.
Reply Quote
As of now, Hex works on Uber Zoltun Kulle and Skeleton King, as far as I know.
Reply Quote

2. I believe it applies a debuff to the mobs that are in range of the original casting. So even if they move out of the initial area, they're still debuffed. Same applies to the reverse, if they're not in the range then move in close, they wont have the damage debuff.

Ok, then it's still a good idea to use Hex, even if the most funny part is the ability of the shaman to perma shift monsters into pigs (jinx rune).
That's what I believe happens with Paranoia too and if it's true that makes it much more powerful than Big Bad Voodoo; a confirmation would be nice though. In the meanwhile I'll use Mass Confusion and try to figure out by myself.
Edited by Nisciunu#2822 on 10/19/2012 8:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I did 2 infernal MP6 machine runs last night and I can confirm Hex works only Zoltun but not on Skeleton King or any of the other ubers. As for the dmg taken debuff I can't validate that. Regardless it's a staple in my build when doing inferno machine. Hexing Zoltun helps a lot.
Reply Quote
10/19/2012 07:51 AMPosted by Worloega
I would also like to know: how well does MC work on ubers? Do they beat on each other? For the full 12 seconds? Thanks.

You know.. I've never really seen monsters beating each other furiously. It's like when they get confused, they stood there for a while and then find a target and then hit.

I see Mass Confusion as just "stop them".. if they hit each other that's fine, if not, not big deal.
Reply Quote
I wish MC was targetable like Grasp... I really expected it to function like grasp and was sorely disappointed the first time I used it. I've tried it a few times since then, but to me the idea of CC requiring me to be that close is really counter productive. I want to stay in that range, while jaunting, only long enough to use soul harvest, then gtfo. Otherwise I'm taking an unnecessary risk.
Reply Quote
Ok, then it's still a good idea to use Hex, even if the most funny part is the ability of the shaman to perma shift monsters into pigs (jinx rune).
That's what I believe happens with Paranoia too and if it's true that makes it much more powerful than Big Bad Voodoo; a confirmation would be nice though. In the meanwhile I'll use Mass Confusion and try to figure out by myself.

Ok, after few more tests of mass confusion/paranoia I finally gave it up cause it seems I can't make it work: the bruiser gargantuan makes for a much better crowd control, at least for me, and probably more damage too.
Hex is awesome, I'm loving it more and more everyday!
Reply Quote
Hex makes key farming so much easier. The act 2 and 3 wardens can be a real pain on higher MP and hex makes them much less of a hassel. It makes the act 1 warden less annoying because he won't run away as much.

I use Last Breath when I am using Mass Confusion, this ends up being most of the time. With the rune that reduces the cooldown coupled with tribal rites, there is less than a 10 second cooldown (just approximite observation) between MC uses. Though I tend to use Paranoia, as I can kill most elite packs within 20 seconds and there isn't much of a point of casting confuse on them twice, the reduced cooldown rune may work great for some people.

If any one decides to get a Last Breath knife to try this out I suggest getting one with life steal. The knife always has a "Slain Enemies Rest in Pieces" affix that makes all killing blows deal a TON of damage (regularly see it crit in the millions). Life Steal + Million damage crits = you almost never die :)
Edited by SnowBro#1782 on 10/23/2012 2:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]