Diablo® III

[Guide] Affix Based Itemization

(deleted)

Sorry... I think my point in here was covered in a prior post.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/7/2012 5:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
I'm digging this thread.
Reply Quote
I took a Java course in college a long time ago, and I've used FormCalc in Adobe LiveCycle Designer to help design forms we use around the office (LCD lets you code in FormCalc or Java, and they're somewhat similar), but no, I haven't really used JS. That said, I work with a bunch of programmers, so I'm sure I can get some help if needed. Got a sample you can show me?
Reply Quote
Out of curiosity, M, what do you consider "clutter" on the spreadsheet? Most of the calculations there are fairly easy to perform because I've got named arrays on another sheet, so it works something like this:

1. Pick the first, second, and third attacks from the drop-down fields in columns B and D.
2. Enter your stats in B19:B24 and D19:D24. (These will eventually pull from item stats on another sheet.)
3. Enter whatever values you want to compare in the "Change" fields between F26 and P26.

Everything else is calculated by means of the INDEX and MATCH functions and a handful of named arrays. So it's probably messy by JS standards, but it's clean compared to spreadsheet that rely heavily on IF, LOOKUP, VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, and hardcoded arrays. Just looking for more information, thanks! :)
Reply Quote
Out of curiosity, M, what do you consider "clutter" on the spreadsheet? Most of the calculations there are fairly easy to perform because I've got named arrays on another sheet, so it works something like this:

1. Pick the first, second, and third attacks from the drop-down fields in columns B and D.
2. Enter your stats in B19:B24 and D19:D24. (These will eventually pull from item stats on another sheet.)
3. Enter whatever values you want to compare in the "Change" fields between F26 and P26.

Everything else is calculated by means of the INDEX and MATCH functions and a handful of named arrays. So it's probably messy by JS standards, but it's clean compared to spreadsheet that rely heavily on IF, LOOKUP, VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, and hardcoded arrays. Just looking for more information, thanks! :)

well if you made your own functions, you wouldn't need a separate tab at all
just the inputs, and a single cell with the output.
It's what I personally do when I'm dealing with complicated calculations.
the issue with putting the math on a separate tab is it's a pain to edit when blizzard releases new updates.
Reply Quote
epic post Morionic!!!!
Reply Quote
The more I read this thread, the better it gets - great job Morionic, plus everyone else trying to resolve the min damage conundrum.

One query though regarding dex and vit on helms/spirit stones...

the double attribute enchantment is solid, but the single attribute enchantments are not.
So I would not want a rare spirit stone with more than 100 dexterity or 100 vitality.

The following enchantments are must haves for an end game rare spirit stone:
6% Crit Chance
2.50 Spirit Regeneration for farming
1 Socket if not 100 Paragon

The following enchantments are very good for an end game rare spirit stone:
14% Sweeping Wind/Fist of Thunder
80 Resist All
1 Socket even if 100 Paragon

The remaining slots should be filled with the following enchantments:
100 Dexterity
100 Vitality

60 Resist Element
397 Bonus Armor
63.9 Life per Spirit Spent
12% Life

This seems to suggest that you are discounting the 100 dex & 100 vit stat, but you are also saying that 100 dex on its own, or 100 vit on its own is good - is that right? I would have thought that the 100 dex & 100 vit enchantment is better than having simply 100 dex or 100 vit. Or am I completely missing something?
Reply Quote
This seems to suggest that you are discounting the 100 dex & 100 vit stat, but you are also saying that 100 dex on its own, or 100 vit on its own is good - is that right? I would have thought that the 100 dex & 100 vit enchantment is better than having simply 100 dex or 100 vit. Or am I completely missing something?
]

hmm looks like a typo on my part

the 100 dex & 100 vit enchantment is better than simply having 100 dex or 100 vit
you generally want to avoid single attribute enchantments except for items like rare bracers or belts, where there aren't many great enchantments to begin with.
Reply Quote
I'm still working on a document that explains the whole calculation, but I need to go to bed. I ran into trouble when I equipped the Schaefer's Hammer I keep in my stash. After doing a little digging on the forum and a little guesswork, I was able to figure out exactly what the game was doing with the hammer's stats. If you want to know exactly how the Adds +X% to Elemental Damage affix is different than the +X% Damage affix, and how this difference shows up in the weapon tooltip and your character sheet DPS, click here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6758675992?page=1#4

This information may help some players prioritize their item affixes.
Reply Quote
BTW, if you want to see how the base stat works, just pick up a few rare weapons, note the base damage that comes with the weapon, and then identify them until you see a few damage affixes show up. You'll see how it works. For example, I picked up a Decapitator this evening. Unidentified, it had a base damage of 515–624. When I identified it, I got two damage-related affixes:

+27 Maximum Damage
+166–423 Holy Damage

The tooltip damage indicated 681–1074 after the identification, which is the sum of the base damage range and all the damage-related affixes on the weapon.
Reply Quote
get this back to the front page!
Reply Quote
11/08/2012 10:13 AMPosted by Druin
get this back to the front page!

Definitely.

Amazing post (whole thread, actually), and a very helpful resource for even seasoned monks.
Reply Quote
great thread. convinced me to drop my innas chest for blackthornes and drop my rare belt for a witching hour :P
Reply Quote
o
Reply Quote
My head a-splode.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004456313
Reply Quote
just read through this again...great read with solid info. I highly recommend
Reply Quote
Thank you Morionic :)
Reply Quote
I use EF & WKL i want to get a Life steal EF 1200 damage saving a billion gold will be fun
Reply Quote
upski
Reply Quote
hey im new to the game and i only have 1 character but im lvl 60 and paragon lvl 5 i found a madstone helm but it doesnt have a socket so my question is should i use a different helm that has a socket and put the gem with extra exp bonus since im paragon lvl 5 and trying to go to 100 or should i stick with the madstone helm since it helps me with 100 dex and 76 all res? what do u think i should do? plz help thank you so much this guide helps so much awsome bro
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]