Diablo® III

HOTA VS SLAM : ROUND ONE, FIGHT!

View profile
HOTA VS SLAM:
Which is better?

I have tested these out extensively, but am still undecided. Part of what makes Diablo so much fun is that there is always a tradeoff. I just wanted to hear your opinions! :)

To those who say apples and oranges, hard to compare...
No one compares apples to apples, or oranges to oranges. That would be quite boring as the bigger apple or the juicier orange would win. It is because these 2 skills are apples and oranges that I want to compare them. That's the challenge and the fun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOTA: SLAM
+ best damage to cost ratio
+ good proc coefficient for LifeOnHit and Into The Fray
+ high crit chance on full fury which works well with Into The Fray
- low aoe
SS: RUMBLE
+ huge aoe
+ rumbles proc Into The Fray (at 33% proc coefficiency <-------------someone confirm?)
- peak area of damage is slightly in front of barb, leaving facetanked mobs happy
Edited by Castablanca#1545 on 11/14/2012 12:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
^
Reply Quote
View profile
^
Reply Quote
View profile
^
Reply Quote
View profile
^
Reply Quote
View profile
^
Reply Quote
they are two completely separate skills with completely different uses, it's apples to oranges.

you'd save yourself time if you tested these questions out yourself in game compared to keeping these threads bumped to the top =)
Reply Quote
They can happily co-exist in one build.
Reply Quote
View profile
11/14/2012 11:39 AMPosted by Aracknid
you'd save yourself time if you tested these questions out yourself in game compared to keeping these threads bumped to the top =)

I have tested these out extensively, but am still undecided. Part of what makes Diablo so much fun is that there is always a tradeoff.
I just wanted to hear your opinions.

No one compares apples to apples, or oranges to oranges. That would be quite boring as the bigger apple or the juicier orange would win. An infant has the mental capacity to make such a decision. It is because they are apples and oranges that I want to compare them. That's the challenge and the fun.
Edited by Castablanca#1545 on 11/14/2012 12:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
I personally prefer hota/thunderstrike + overpower/killing spree+rend. Works well for me with a slow skorn.
Reply Quote
View profile
^
Reply Quote
View profile
^
Reply Quote
I think the huge range and arc radius on slam makes it much better than HOTA especially with running around mobs. With Bloodclan Occultists or Fallen Prophets you can simply sit back and slam no chase required which speeds up your run. Great thread I have a lot of passion for Slam builds.
Reply Quote
View profile
I think the huge range and arc radius on slam makes it much better than HOTA especially with running around mobs. With Bloodclan Occultists or Fallen Prophets you can simply sit back and slam no chase required which speeds up your run. Great thread I have a lot of passion for Slam builds.

but sometimes, I find myself at point-blank slamming. Certainly most of those rumbles are missing the mobs at point-blank range.
Reply Quote
An infant wouldn't constrain itself to either one or the other.

I didn't bring up the fact they have completely different uses because it's impossible or even difficult to compare them, it's because comparing the two takes a simple list of pros/cons.

The thing I like about this skill system is there's always another option for your build, there is no reason to use just one skill vs. the other because you can always swap to a new skill and swap around another skill or two to accommodate the new one. Or you can just use both.
Edited by Aracknid#1574 on 11/14/2012 1:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
11/14/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Aracknid
The thing I like about this skill system is there's always another option for your build, there is no reason to use just one skill vs. the other because you can always swap to a new skill and swap around another skill or two to accommodate the new one. Or you can just use both.

Very much agreed. Although I find it hard to sustain two fury spenders, even with Into The Fray.
11/14/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Aracknid
An infant wouldn't constrain itself to either one or the other.

I was just trying to defend my thread's honour ;)
Edited by Castablanca#1545 on 11/14/2012 1:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Castablanca

but sometimes, I find myself at point-blank slamming. Certainly most of those rumbles are missing the mobs at point-blank range.

Very true, that's why I put sprint/marathon on the bar the speed helps me position better for maximum slam.
Reply Quote
View profile
11/14/2012 01:27 PMPosted by Fingerling
Very true, that's why I put sprint/marathon on the bar the speed helps me position better for maximum slam.

interesting.
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 01:47 PMPosted by Castablanca

interesting.

That's not interesting, stop it.
Reply Quote
View profile
mine is the only true hota build
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]