Diablo® III

Hybrid Archon Guide

Well finally achieved a gear enabling me to decently farm MP7, even if I know it's not as good as the other builds I can use for MP8+ since it's got more constraints. There's still some room for improvement of course since I only have 12% MS but at 634+ AR, 4500 armor unbuffed, 52.5k HP and 396k dps fully buffed, I think it's not that bad in the end ... ; )

But this is an achievement anyway and I wanted to thank everyone here in this thread for sharing their knowledge ! : )
Edited by Gelador#2933 on 2/26/2013 11:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 08:52 AMPosted by yems
i kinda like the use of spectral blade -deep cuts , evocation passive and archon with pure power. you got like 85 secs cd in archon... with CM proccing archon beam at some times my archon refreshes at that 15 sec archon mark just by shooting beams on large packs even if i havent killed anything

I am quite torn between healing blades (since i am running with no LS) and LL. Don't you find blade is slow in refreshing archon? LL can be really fast on a large pack .. within seconds.
Reply Quote
ii prefer LL for the fact that to refresh just fire on a pack of >4 and archon is back in a couple seconds... I hated LL before I learned how to refresh :-)
Reply Quote
02/26/2013 09:18 PMPosted by Narius
I am quite torn between healing blades (since i am running with no LS) and LL. Don't you find blade is slow in refreshing archon? LL can be really fast on a large pack .. within seconds.

spectral-deep cuts had the higher proc on all blades so it resets cooldown much faster - for me coz i got bloodmagic+LS on weapon. got no problem on slashing tru mobs even elites with reflects. plus - spectral blade has higher damage than living lightning so you get more life leeched back
Reply Quote
I did some back and forth and finally go back to LL.

The primary reason is that i start doing keep 2 no-NV runs (see the other threads about it .. the idea is just to kill white mobs and take advantage of the bonus item, and it works for high density of white mobs in keep 2), and it is much more efficient to refresh fast with LL, with large group of mobs.

In fact, in most cases, archon don't even drop off.

I do wonder how much faster deep cuts refresh compared to healing blades. I may test that out though.
Edited by Narius#1176 on 3/4/2013 7:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
i just noticed with this 10apoc issue, you can just use a storm crow with 10apoc and wicked wind to refresh. For some reason, even with 10apoc a single target is sustainable to spam ww. You guys gotta try it out, if you're not using storm crow buy some cheap ones and just swap when archon runs out
Reply Quote
i have a stormcrow and i tried it. It works! But i got a ~20k dps hit using the stormcrow instead of a mempo, not to mention the EHP decrease.

WW does refresh a bit faster.

I am doing mostly keep 2 legendary runs now .. and it does not matter because archon usually last long. However, i may do the trade-off in other settings

BTW, i wonder how mistral breeze compared to WW .. since it costs a lot less AP.
Reply Quote
Made some coin and then some major upgrades. Based on the guide at the beginning, so masterfully done by Shenko, I am only missing some EHP. Suggestions for upgrades?
Edited by Stratos#1840 on 3/8/2013 10:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
03/08/2013 09:56 AMPosted by Stratos
Made some coin and then some major upgrades. Based on the guide at the beginning, so masterfully done by Shenko, I am only missing some EHP. Suggestions for upgrades?

mempo seems to be a good EHP upgrade. If you don't have the funds to get the top mempo like me, you can go for a high INT one without cc.
Reply Quote
03/09/2013 06:23 PMPosted by Narius
mempo seems to be a good EHP upgrade.

or just get andariels with all resist, with like 5~7% fire damage taken
Reply Quote
why not use APOC triumvirate.? You will only suffer 10K dps and 30k HP with that

quote="80868317561"]i have a stormcrow and i tried it. It works! But i got a ~20k dps hit using the stormcrow instead of a mempo, not to mention the EHP decrease.

WW does refresh a bit faster.

I am doing mostly keep 2 legendary runs now .. and it does not matter because archon usually last long. However, i may do the trade-off in other settings

BTW, i wonder how mistral breeze compared to WW .. since it costs a lot less AP.[/quote]
Reply Quote
First of all, I must thank the original poster for this excellent guide. Hybrid Archon is my favorite wizard build; I've been using it since the first day I came across this guide. I only switch to Sustained Archon when I do my speedy MP5/6 paragon leveling runs.

Anyway, since patch 1.0.7 was released, I have been using +9 APOC Triumvirate along with WW instead of LL, and the results are more than satisfactory. I am referring to MP7+ group farm or MP7+ URRS.

Not only Archon refreshes very quickly, but I can also cast Frost Nova more quickly during Archon downtime even when I am fighting few mobs/elites. In UBRS fight, even when my group has SNS wizard, I sometimes find myself having to freeze, and LL proc is not good when using it on one boss (e.g. kuul). The only times I go LL instead of WW is when I have Arcane Dynamo passive; I use that passive during MP9+ group farm.

Bear in mind that I can use Deep Freeze like original poster suggests, which makes LL shine a lot, but when running in groups then I am not always in control of where to stay to fight etc. so sometimes I am forced to fight 4 or less monsters at a time.

Another point worth mentioning. I find that running Teleport Archon instead of Improved Archon necessary for increased survivability during mp7+ group farms. Maybe my effective DPS is even higher since I don't have to waste time moving from fire or frost; I instantly teleport to a safe location and immediately beam away. Some nasty situations can actually kill you if you don't have teleport. This may not apply to MP7+ UBRS as the nasty situations seem less and DPS becomes super important.

Anyway, power of this build is flexibility, so all these choices must be a good, not a bad thing. :)

Link to my profile below; I appreciate if you have any advise regarding upgrades gearing etc., but just bear in mind that I may be using Sustained Archon build sometimes, in case you wonder why I have Familiar instead of Nova for instance.

Furthermore, if I am running mp9+, I switch my Tal Rasha chest with a Zunimassa chest that has VIT and ALL RES, which then gives me 3rd set bonus, so even more ALL RES. My eHP becomes a lot more decent that way, but if I am running mp7 or lower than I use Tal Rasha chest for better DPS (around 18k DPS difference).

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Dragonwing-2971/hero/24052138
Reply Quote
Small tip when using WW and getting into a big fight

You want to have tornadoes all around before you jump into archon form because what you get then is instant refresh of arcane blast (less than 1sec) which is a nice source of additional damage.
Reply Quote
you are right/ Besides. WW has better life steal effect due to its higher overall damage. It makes you
survive better when out of archon.
Its simple, if you can almost perm archon and has enough EHP and life return to survive when outside archon, just stay with LL, if you can not perm and die often outside archon, then use WW. The additional 100 intel from a non APOC Triumvirate is really not that much if you die too often.

You want to have tornadoes all around before you jump into archon form because what you get then is instant refresh of arcane blast (less than 1sec) which is a nice source of additional damage.
Edited by KDR#1284 on 3/10/2013 3:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/09/2013 09:34 PMPosted by yems
mempo seems to be a good EHP upgrade.

or just get andariels with all resist, with like 5~7% fire damage taken

I do run with a andariel for higher DPS when i do Keep 2 farming. Switch back to mempo when i need more survival.
Reply Quote
you are right/ Besides. WW has better life steal effect due to its higher overall damage. It makes you
survive better when out of archon.
Its simple, if you can almost perm archon and has enough EHP and life return to survive when outside archon, just stay with LL, if you can not perm and die often outside archon, then use WW. The additional 100 intel from a non APOC Triumvirate is really not that much if you die too often.

How much is a good APOC trium cost? I also wonder if it make sense to use mistral breeze instead to cut down on the AP cost.
Reply Quote
bump ... this thread should be up on the first page.
Reply Quote
How do people feel about adding blizzard to the mix? With the huge buff to its damage it can make the off archon part feel much more lively. Using LL blizzard frost nova and cold blooded I feel like I can actually take on some of the tricky elite packs without archon needing to be refreshed.
Reply Quote
03/22/2013 09:11 PMPosted by Ebbitten
How do people feel about adding blizzard to the mix? With the huge buff to its damage it can make the off archon part feel much more lively. Using LL blizzard frost nova and cold blooded I feel like I can actually take on some of the tricky elite packs without archon needing to be refreshed.

Youre better off dropping Archon and using a utility skill if you want to kill elites out of Archon. If you are using LL blizz and nova, that means you aren't using either magic weapon, or familiar, or an armor spell, and all three are really needed to max out your Archon ability.
Reply Quote
03/22/2013 10:54 PMPosted by couchy

Youre better off dropping Archon and using a utility skill if you want to kill elites out of Archon. If you are using LL blizz and nova, that means you aren't using either magic weapon, or familiar, or an armor spell, and all three are really needed to max out your Archon ability.

Yeah .. archon is all about maxing that dps and keep yourself alive with BM and/or LS weapon. Unless you have godly gear, i think MW, and familiar is a must (and i will throw in GC too).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]