Diablo® III

Hybrid Archon Guide

I also run an hybrid archon build when i want to do low mp farming, but since my main gearing is for cm u do have the ias/cc/apoc requirements, even using chants set for archon. So using ww and deep freeze is a no brainer and really effective at being badass off archon and getting it back up again really fast.

Obviously this is something you do if ur a cm wiz and want to do some archon farming since the gear requirements for that are diff than a classic archon.

I just drop some ias for cd and stay over the 2.51 breakpoint to hit 180k dps buffed and roll form there. no life steal though just use loh and blood magic. The great thing about this imo is that i can use it in multiplayer games and that dps isnt limiting myself as much if i want to go into higher mps, but for the higher mps i just run cm as it is more efficent there.

my skill set is:

ww
teleport archon

diamond shards
deep freeze
blood magic
pinpoint barrier

blur
cm
glass cannon
Reply Quote
What mp are you farming with that?

Any build involving Glass Cannon and the hybrid Archon isn'e viable past mp 7.....if it is join my game and show me.....I'd love to be proven wrong on it.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 11/16/2012 6:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 05:22 AMPosted by Schenko7
What Mp did you do? Higher than you typically do?

Unfortunately, gear limits me quite a bit on this. My 1h/source isn't close to as strong as my 2h at this point. I was running MP3 as a sustainable archon run, using my full gear set (i.e. not swapping in my hellfire for XP). It ran smooth, but slower than 2h, due to losing a <censored> of DPS. However, the downtime when losing archon was almost nil; one decent trash pack and archon was often up before LL finished killing them.

Highlights:
-Besides only managing a stutter-lock on elite packs, the procs came quick enough to get archon back to finish the job.
-4.4% LS was enough to face-tank RD elites (which is my minimum threshold for viability in an archon build)

Downsides:
-You'll see it once my profile updates, but aside from good LS, my 1h/source combo is sad. I'm sure the build work work really well if my weapon was up to par with the rest of my gear
-LL just isn't much of a spell. It procs CM, but struggles with runners (occultists, succubi, fallen shamans). Perfectly suited to melee of all sorts though, so long as you want to turn archon back on, rather than kill them

For reference:
-My standard weapon is a 1260 DPS Skorn with 5.6% LS and 175%CD. I run MP3 and sometimes MP4 with Archon/Teleport and Scramble
-The spec change and gear downgrade cost me 70k DPS or so, which is about a 30% loss of DPS.

Question semi-related: Is it time I sold off my 2h and went with the 1h/source? I pretty much need 1000+ DPS and over 100% CD, along with LS, to even compare to my current DPS.
Reply Quote
The only builds that truly benefit from a 2h are ray of frost and disintegrate. Even if you end with lower sheet dps, you may find it's easier with more int and +damage instead of big crit damage, as it gives consistent damage and is less likely to overkill.
Reply Quote
What mp are you farming with that?

Any build involving Glass Cannon and the hybrid Archon isn'e viable past mp 7.....if it is join my game and show me.....I'd love to be proven wrong on it.

You can definitely do mp7+ with glass canon. It's just a comfort level issue. I normally just farm mp 6 or 7. No incentive to go beyond. The problem I have with this build is that it is just bad for certain packs/affixes. The pack I hate most is probably eletric/reflect dmg/waller/extra health phasebeast. Waller prevents LL from hitting mobs and you just don't get enough procs to recover health/reduce archon cooldown. Phasebeasts also hit hard and interrupt your archon beam. It sucks when you get a pack like that.
Reply Quote
@samll

I am not saying that Glass Cannon can't be run past mp 7....just saying that it isn't that viable to do so. I've found that a lot of affix's really take advantage of the debuff GC gives...whether than be the loss in Armor or the loss in Resists. It feels out of place at the higher up mp levels.

I agree with that specific pack causing some issues.....the other pack that I struggle with are the vortex/frozen types....it seems that they vortex you right as the frozen hits.....

I just don't like Class Cannon, I think it is our worst passive.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 11/16/2012 7:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Schenko7
I just don't like Class Cannon, I think it is our worst passive.

Overstating things a bit? ;)

/Shepherds Power Hungry, Prodigy, and Paralysis in front of the camera...
Narrator: "For only $.25 a day, you can provide these unwanted passives with food, clothing, and access to clean drinking water. Won't you help them?"
Reply Quote
/Shepherds Power Hungry, Prodigy, and Paralysis in front of the camera...
Narrator: "For only $.25 a day, you can provide these unwanted passives with food, clothing, and access to clean drinking water. Won't you help them?"

No! I hope they all die.

And we get something like bloodlust/ruthless
Reply Quote
^speaking of which, I should prolly go and bump that "archon issues list" thread in bug report section.....
Reply Quote
naw i dont do high mps with this, between 3-5. Mostly coz im limited in my gear if i managed to buff dps much higher i could do higher mps but really if i want to do high mps i just switch to sns or sns+meteor which is more efficent, at least at my gear level. Basicaly i run this build for speed runs to get exp and the loot is pretty nice too.

I use glass cannon coz i have enough mitigation to take the hit there, whith gc and ea im at 500ar and 5k armour could be even higher if i didnt have to switch my bracers to some basic int vit lacunis for the moove speed. But yeah i would have to drop gc if i wanted to moove higher up in the mp levels which at the same time would hurt my dps. Thing is im just using what ive got with a few adjustments to be able to run my own archon build, and what i have dictates what mp i can run, so for me the best really is 3 or 4.
Reply Quote
For 2-handed weapon with lifesteel (AS less than 1.5) - this Archon build is actualy working, but need some changes: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#amQjSO!gbd!accaZZ.
great survival on Bosses MP 6-8 (for bosses im using Force armor).
Teleport with Calamity - great choise for my weapon.
P.S. about glass canon - i think its not for high MP =))
Edited by RoyaL#2801 on 11/16/2012 10:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
My profile updated. You can now see what I was running it with.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Maysrill
My profile updated. You can now see what I was running it with.

Yeah I would for sure update that offhand/main hand and you should see a huge increase in your ability to run this build.

I am not a large fan of the echoing fury's because of the fear aspect, I hate when creature run away from me.

Edit:

To note, the reason why I am so low on GC is because I feel if we as Wizards neglect it then it'll be looked at and maybe adjusted to reflect many of the other classes that have buffs to damage without debuffs. Glass Cannon should in my book be a huge damage increase with the cost of taking in more damage. Right now....all I feel is the more damage in take, the extra damage it grants my char is barely noticeable. It needs to be something more along the lines of 50% more damage/15% debuff. Some may call me crazy, but it's the only passive out there that offers a debuff for more damage. Since higher mp levels are more about surviving not so much the amount of damage you can put out as if you constantly kite you aren't achieving your DPS. Glass Cannon is just a terrible passive and I would put it in the few you mentioned being terrible passives for the reasons I listed above.

Heroscore top 500

Barb
Ruthless 92.80% (464)
Weapons Master 92.60% (463)
Bloodthirst 53.80% (269)

Demon Hunter
Archery 76.60% (383)
Steady Aim 53.00% (265)
Perfectionist 53.00% (265)

Monk
Seize the Initiative 84.40% (422)
One With Everything 79.60% (398)
Fleet Footed 28.60% (143)

Witch Doctor
Gruesome Feast 59.20% (296)
Spirit Vessel 48.20% (241)
Grave Injustice 44.60% (223)

Wizard
Critical Mass 93.40% (467)
Glass Cannon 62.20% (311)
Evocation 35.80% (179)

DPS top 500

Barb
Weapons Master 96.60% (483)
Ruthless 96.40% (482)
Bloodthirst 59.40% (297)

Demon Hunter
Archery 80.40% (402)
Steady Aim 58.80% (294)
Perfectionist 52.00% (260)

Monk
Seize the Initiative 86.20% (431)
One With Everything 83.60% (418)
Fleet Footed 28.00% (140)

Witch Doctor
Gruesome Feast 59.00% (295)
Spirit Vessel 55.00% (275)
Grave Injustice 43.00% (215)

Wizard
Critical Mass 91.60% (458)
Glass Cannon 70.40% (352)
Evocation 34.80% (174)

Two passives we have help reduce recharge times.....isn't that a sad state of what we are?

Tell me that something isn't off there? I am not saying that GC should be the end all skills for Wizards, but it's one of the main reasons I built a Wizard to offer that huge damage spike for either solo or group play. Knowing that I would perhaps be a little more viable to dying easier than my fellow friends/allies. It's sad that being a top 25 dps Wizard that I can't even use a pure DPS passive in our relatively horrible passive list we do have.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 11/16/2012 11:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 11:25 AMPosted by Schenko7
I am not a large fan of the echoing fury's because of the fear aspect, I hate when creature run away from me.

Understandable. I use it because of the solid base (black) damage and the LS, and because it was just lying there on the ground for me to pick up. It was the best thing I could find to test 1h archon with, so I pulled it off the AH to try out.

I didn't want to spend 100m only to find the build sucked and I didn't like it.

Not sure which is more of a priority though, fixing the weapon (100m-2b) or fixing the trium (less bad percentage-wise, I think, but only a 20-80m price)
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Maysrill

Understandable. I use it because of the solid base (black) damage and the LS, and because it was just lying there on the ground for me to pick up. It was the best thing I could find to test 1h archon with, so I pulled it off the AH to try out.

I didn't want to spend 100m only to find the build sucked and I didn't like it.

Not sure which is more of a priority though, fixing the weapon (100m-2b) or fixing the trium (less bad percentage-wise, I think, but only a 20-80m price)

I don't have the money for a good black weapon yet, but my speadsheet tells me a 1100dps 100int LS OS 1.4APS black weapon can give me 35K more DPS. What's interesting is the result will be worse if I couple that black weapon with a decent Trium (100-350 6/6/5 8.5cc) instead of my current Chant Force. I guess Trium only shines once you get to 300K+ dps realm.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Kobune
I don't have the money for a good black weapon yet, but my speadsheet tells me a 1100dps 100int LS OS 1.4APS black weapon can give me 35K more DPS. What's interesting is the result will be worse if I couple that black weapon with a decent Trium (100-350 6/6/5 8.5cc) instead of my current Chant Force. I guess Trium only shines once you get to 300K+ dps realm.

First Triumvirate I can find that's an upgrade for you with a black weapon is 7 mill. I price your Chantodo's at 60+ mill. I guess it depends on what your budget is.
Reply Quote
What would a SoJ with the stats

6% Arcane
15 max AP
Damage Against Elites 29%
Shock Pulse 11%

be worth to someone using this build?

cause i have one FS or trade for Dis SoJ :)
Reply Quote
mp0 all the way ._.
Reply Quote
@Schenko, since you're recommending 40+ cc, why do you suggest Thunderstorm instead of Shocking Aspect? Have you checked and found the damage output to be higher?
Reply Quote
I am not suggesting thunderstorm really....yes....Shocking Aspect is another player in this build. Storm Armor in general should only be used for solo play for Hybrid Archons. Anything past mp 8 should be prismatic unless you have top 10-20 gear. Storm Armor isn't viable really, but it's more of a change of pace skill if you're bored of the same old same old.

The reason why I chose Thunderstorm over Shocking Aspect is because the large hits from Thunderstorm grant you larger life steal while in Archon. Shocking Aspect is good for out of Archon, but for the most part I've felt Thunderstorm is the winner mainly due to you want to keep in Archon.

Another downside to Aspect is you kill white mobs faster and don't get the quick recharge of Archon back. To some of you...this may be like what the heck man? I want to kill mobs quick, but I am telling you right now that with this Hybrid build you don't want to kill quickly outside of Archon as the entire build setup is based for trying to sustain or get Archon recharge to practically zero.

Hopefully that answered your question.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 11/19/2012 5:33 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]