Diablo® III

Hybrid Archon Guide

I've noticed that when looking for a recharge, I can often cool archon down on a pack of scorpions, then recast archon in time to finish them off and get a chunk of archon timer for free right away. The disparity in DPS between LL and Destruction Wave is mind-boggling.

I rarely kill much of anything with LL. First decent-sized pack cools it down, and elites don't usually die before archon comes available again.

I still need to get myself a "real" weapon to get this up and running at a respectable MP level, but I've put the Skorn aside for now and committed to the 1h/source path (got a decent triumvirate at least now)
Edited by Maysrill#1190 on 11/19/2012 5:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Maysrill

Once people start finding that special place within survivability/crits/ias and accepting LL as just a skill to get you within Archon. I think this build is going to become more and more popular. A lot of people are not patient with LL and can't deal with the low damage results.

Edit:

Yeah dope Triumviate. Congrats
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 11/19/2012 5:43 AM PST
Reply Quote

Understandable. I use it because of the solid base (black) damage and the LS, and because it was just lying there on the ground for me to pick up. It was the best thing I could find to test 1h archon with, so I pulled it off the AH to try out.

I didn't want to spend 100m only to find the build sucked and I didn't like it.

Not sure which is more of a priority though, fixing the weapon (100m-2b) or fixing the trium (less bad percentage-wise, I think, but only a 20-80m price)

I don't have the money for a good black weapon yet, but my speadsheet tells me a 1100dps 100int LS OS 1.4APS black weapon can give me 35K more DPS. What's interesting is the result will be worse if I couple that black weapon with a decent Trium (100-350 6/6/5 8.5cc) instead of my current Chant Force. I guess Trium only shines once you get to 300K+ dps realm.

LOL bro, you meant this one ?
http://i.imgur.com/3yxtT.png
Come n' get it !
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7178678014?page=1#19
Edited by Inspy#2854 on 11/19/2012 5:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
Please don't advertise items on this thread unless of course you're providing a reason why the item will be used to benefit this build.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 11/19/2012 5:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
It has LS it provides high DPS, 12 All Res and some dodge chance

Is that enough ?

P.S. Come on bro, take it easy :P
Edited by Inspy#2854 on 11/19/2012 5:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Maysrill

Once people start finding that special place within survivability/crits/ias and accepting LL as just a skill to get you within Archon. I think this build is going to become more and more popular. A lot of people are not patient with LL and can't deal with the low damage results.

Edit:

I think you're right on this. People see low hits coming from LL and dismiss it. I know I did at first but then I realized APoC was a stupid stat to have to rely on. I just got my attack speed to 2.38 and it's incredible what a difference it did to my refresh with LL. I just upgraded my main hand and the key stat I was looking for was attack speed. I could have squeezed a little more DPS had I looked for intel but I think that sometimes we're too DPS focused on this build without considering the trade offs for omitting other stats.
Reply Quote
Like I said if you can float around 250-300k unbuffed this build is a great choice against the CM/Wiz. Anyone who doubts my theory can join me and see it in action.

APoC is often overpriced and who knows what future patches will do against our skills to further diminish the value of APoC. The one thing with building a Hybrid Archon is that even if it gets nerfed you have a variety of options made ready to you.

If I wanted to go Cm/Wiz I could just sell my trium/main hand for a will/force and be just fine.
Reply Quote
@Maysrill

Edit:

Thanks. I got it for 29m, which I considered a steal (1d11h of course). I don't think I saw anything comparable for under 80m. I think the seller undervalued the 9% Life and didn't realize the avg DPS on it.

Even with what I feel is sub-par damage, the build runs smooth. I think if I end up with something in the 1100 DPS / 150%CD / 2.5% LS range, I'd be able to run MP6 or MP7 without too much trouble.
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 05:12 AMPosted by Schenko7
The reason why I chose Thunderstorm over Shocking Aspect is because the large hits from Thunderstorm grant you larger life steal while in Archon. Shocking Aspect is good for out of Archon, but for the most part I've felt Thunderstorm is the winner mainly due to you want to keep in Archon.

Not sure this makes sense to me. Do the bolts from SA not proc LS?
Reply Quote
In archon form, how much time do you spend close enough for SA to help? I stand plenty close to stuff spamming LL/FN, but a lot of stuff dies near max beam range in archon.
Reply Quote
I have tried storm armor. To me, it makes my wiz too squishy(especially in mp7+). I still prefer EA + prismatic. To boost damage, I just use arcane dynamo. It will make your first beam do 75% additional damage. I have seen 3m+ tick from my archon beam. It is pretty good with this build considering how fast LL can refresh your archon. It works better in team as you have teammates tank mobs for you and you have less chance to get interrupted.
Reply Quote
No way I could drop Prismatic. In Archon I end up having approx 1100 all resists with Prismatic. I can literally face tank most things unless there's stacks upon stacks of descrator. I don't really see the benefit of losing that defensive bonus. I find making sure my beam is hitting the most targets possible is the best thing I can do.

@samll - I haven't tried Arcane Dynamo, is it really worth the initial boost to not have the benefit the entire time you're in Archon? The whole idea for me is to stay in Archon as much as possible and this goes against it.
Reply Quote
@shine

This hybrid build allows me to refresh my archon cooldown efficiently, so I just take advantages of it. I don't care about how long I can keep "one" archon up. I even cancel archon deponds on various occasions. It usually becomes ready again pretty fast.

I mainly use arcane dynamo when needed(facing elites, for example). As long as you don't release your right click/get interrupted, the 75% boost is there. And It takes no time to kill trash mobs anyway(dynamo or not).

One thing needs attention is your frost nova. It actually resets your dynamo. Your LL can get your 5 dynamo back very quickly, but it's just something you will have to pay attention to if you use dynamo passive.

Anyway, just a variant version of hybrid archon I have played with. I was even thinking of using magic dragons to squeeze more dps out of arcane dynamo, but really didn't want to replace any of my skill with hydra, lol.

EDIT: another thing I love about this hybrid build: you can actually take your time and pick up the gold/items, no hurry xD
Edited by samll#1924 on 11/19/2012 12:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
^

He gets it, it isn't really about the ability to sustain Archon so much as the ability to regain it quickly. There are even times where I cancel it right after starting it against certain creatures/packs (tremor hoard) come to mind as an example.

It is possible to sustain it, but it isn't really the sustain that you may know from previous builds that allow you to sustain your Archon for 5+ minutes at a time. This one is more built towards being able to move in and out of Archon easily.
Reply Quote
I get the refresh over sustain as it's very difficult to sustain past MP7. I was just wondering how effective having one big burst over sustained defense. Has anyone ever tried combining Arcane Dynamo + Arcane Destruction?!? I'd love to see the crit that does lol.
Reply Quote
^it doesn't work...unfortunately...tried it and I still have 5 dynamo after transform...would be interesting if it did work tho
Reply Quote
Well I'll try out Arcane Dynamo and see what kind of results I get. I'm always willing to make my character better.
Reply Quote
I toyed around with the Dynamo....it is a good change of pace to place within this build. Thanks for the suggestion I will add it to the optional list.
Reply Quote
I've been running arcane dynamo for MP8 ubers lately and I must say it kicks serious !@#. It adds 75% so coupled with improved archon's bonus your beam does a whopping 600% of your sheet dps as long as you don't release it, this works very well vs bosses because the fight takes place in a room and you dont need to move around much.

I think this passive has tremendous potential, with 500k dps this translates into 3m dps, 15sec of that is 45m dmg, thats 20% of kulle's life in a 4 player MP8 game.
Reply Quote
Been using this build for anything higher than MP3 since I saw it on this thread. It took me a while to see the value of Living Lightning, but... I'm a believer now. :) Spam it into a big group of creeps and Archon cools down in seconds.

Dynamo looks interesting. I'll give it a shot later, tho I'm so fluffy that Blur might still be for the best.

Anyway, thx for the guide. I really needed a good build for multiplayer/higher MP that didn't involve a huge gear swap and this works perfectly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]