Diablo® III

Hybrid Archon Guide

To me, arcane dynamo has pros and cons. It works well as long as you can keep your beam on. I normally run mp7 and it works well in azmodan boss fight. I just freeze him then get 5 dynamo and laser him. He usually dies before 15 seconds archon ends.
Reply Quote
+1 to dynamo

175% x 375% improved archon

Great in ubers :)
Reply Quote
I much prefer to use ww archon build with deep freeze and my cm helm+weapon if ever I need to reduce cooldown. It takes seconds only to get back archon
Reply Quote
http://youtu.be/7khrwv3kHoo

Just posted a video of this build in action. I just started recording so it's not the best video nor the longest but it shows the build quite well. If you notice the last elite kill takes a little longer because I couldn't find a group of common mobs to refresh my archon, not to mention I basically wasted my first one. What I also think it shows is that higher level farming with Archon is possible if you're smart. The 3:40 mark really emphasizes how important it is to find large mobs to refresh archon. It does it almost instantly.

I'm hoping this video shows there is hope for high level MP farming in Archon as well as destroy the myth that you need 500k+ DPS to do MP10. Honestly MP10 is a little high for my current gear though. I really need to line my beams up during elites and I still have a tough time with reflect + electrified. On MP8 they're easy :)
Reply Quote
My skills on the armory are wrong but the passives are correct. I was messing around earlier and that's when Blizz updated my profile.
Reply Quote
Thanks, I will add it to the guide. Though Mp 10 in my mind shouldn't really be farmed...it isn't efficient, but this build allows you to farm it if you really wanted to.
Reply Quote
11/26/2012 05:59 AMPosted by Schenko7
Thanks, I will add it to the guide. Though Mp 10 in my mind shouldn't really be farmed...it isn't efficient, but this build allows you to farm it if you really wanted to.

You're right it's not exactly efficient for farming but it's actually a fair amount of fun. Steam rolling though mobs was fun when I was constantly getting my butt handed to me but there is something to be said for the skill of doing MP10. I personally hate the "I'm going to stand in one spot and freeze everything until it's dead." Sometimes I watch a TV show doing Uber SB/Kulle and Ghom/Raka. Magda is a different story....
Reply Quote
MP10 isn't efficient for anyone. It's useful for keys, ubers (for guaranteed payout) and for the challenge.

The day MP10 becomes optimal for you is the day you have truly conquered D3.
Reply Quote
I will update with this:

Ubers I only do mp 9-10...can usually carry a group if I have a Barb warcry...barb can be a complete noob. I replace Blur with Dynamo...and the effects it offers vs Ubers are crazy.

For farming I use the orginal build and I usualyl farm on mp 7 though it seems like 6 is more useful for xp farming strangely enough. The reason why I use Blur instead of Dynamo for farming is due to the fact that a lot of monsters can interrupt you canceling out the dmg boost.
Reply Quote
I spent a while last night playing around in MP7 with the AD variant. I can't say I found it to be much help, personally. I don't run ubers (though if I could solo MP5 or so I might try it), but I could see where it would be more use against them.

I didn't find myself needing Blur at MP7 (not that it hurts, mind you...), and Galv Ward was nice in KD2 but overkill elsewhere.

I'm still juggling what I would consider to be a good 3rd passive. I may give Cold Blooded a try with a Cold-bow scoundrel. I may Unstable Anomaly for the lulz.

Since it's inefficient to begin with, I amethysted my helm for the extra HP. I gotta say, with my defenses, 50k life is fun to run around with. I got frozen in desecrator a couple times and lived to recover from it.
Reply Quote
tagging this guide. love it as a lover of archon.. currently running at mp5 without many problems in a strict archon build but i'd love to try this in higher mps.
Reply Quote
I spent a while last night playing around in MP7 with the AD variant. I can't say I found it to be much help, personally. I don't run ubers (though if I could solo MP5 or so I might try it), but I could see where it would be more use against them.

I didn't find myself needing Blur at MP7 (not that it hurts, mind you...), and Galv Ward was nice in KD2 but overkill elsewhere.

I'm still juggling what I would consider to be a good 3rd passive. I may give Cold Blooded a try with a Cold-bow scoundrel. I may Unstable Anomaly for the lulz.

Since it's inefficient to begin with, I amethysted my helm for the extra HP. I gotta say, with my defenses, 50k life is fun to run around with. I got frozen in desecrator a couple times and lived to recover from it.

Drop ward for Illusionist, since you use both teleports like myself. Also instead of a signature spell I opted for Disintegrate using Power Hungry, with all the teleporting available I have unlimited source of AP and blast mobs out of Archon, no need for Evo either :)
Reply Quote
I don't use TP on any MP where I get hit hard enough to proc illusionist.

I also would not want to spec excessively around OOA (out of archon) fighting, since the whole basis of the build is to have a survival and recharge setup for getting back into archon form ASAP.

Disintegrate is all kinds of fail for high MP. The damage is too low, the AP cost can interfere with recasting buffs (including archon), and the proc rate is tons lower. It's fine for low-level mopping-up duty, but that's really not the goal for the hybrid build.

That said, my new side-project when I need a break from paragon grinding is soloing ubers. This build (AD variant) seems really well suited for it.
Reply Quote
True this build is for low MP farming, the highest I go is MP3, and I can essentially do the entire run out of Archon in the same amount of time as in Archon, hence the lack of recharge abilities. Flying through Act 3 without losing Archon is easy, but when I do, I can still keep going at roughly the same pace and not worry about it. Having scramble plus wormhole and killing mobs instantly while refilling AP from globes is insanely fast farming.
Reply Quote
This build isn't for low level MP farming(though it can be used for it). I farm mp 7-8 all day long with this hybrid build and run mp 9-10 easily with this same exact build. This is the end game Archon build

In my opinion and experience which is closing in on 700hrs playing Wizard....I'd say this build *is* the Archon build.

Though lately, I've been running mp 3-5 doing speed xp runs using sustained Archon build. But when the going gets tough, Hybrid Archon is the way for all Archon users to aim!
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 12/4/2012 8:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 08:21 AMPosted by couchy
True this build is for low MP farming, the highest I go is MP3, and I can essentially do the entire run out of Archon in the same amount of time as in Archon, hence the lack of recharge abilities. Flying through Act 3 without losing Archon is easy, but when I do, I can still keep going at roughly the same pace and not worry about it. Having scramble plus wormhole and killing mobs instantly while refilling AP from globes is insanely fast farming.

I completely disagree. This build isn't for low level MP farming. Use the sustained Archon build for that. This build 'shines', sorry I had to, at the higher MP levels where you're not going to stay in perma Archon. The whole point of this build is to refresh Archon as fast as possible when you need it. This means dragging a large number of trash mobs to an elite, popping frost nova with deep freeze to instantly recharge and blast away. On low MP the trash mobs don't even have enough HP to to refresh my Archon. I really should make a better video on MP5-7 to show this. Basically this build works around the popular "Your DPS must be at least this amount to farm said MP level". I think that only applies to perma Archon users.
Reply Quote
oh sorry guys was referring to disintegrate / illusionist with maysrill, i agree the hybrid nova build is better for high MP
Reply Quote
I've said it time and time again....for MP 6+ this is Archon perma form or the closest one is going to get to achieving it. People are just impatient with LL and yes at times it isn't as efficient as what you may see with FL.

Shine is right though in saying that running this build at lower level MP is just going to cripple what this build brings to the table.
Reply Quote
Heya Schenko7 (and everybody else!)

So this hybrid build is sufficient to beat ubers at say mp7+? (I've gone on a couple of uber-runs and although they turned out ok, I didn't really feel like I added too much value except when out of archon and semi-freezing bosses, hehe). I didn't have arcane dynamo though so that may have been the missing bit.

I'm just wondering because I am contemplating getting sns gear so as to be more acceptable to uber-run groups (I see a lot of requests for cm wiz's but never seen one for archon wiz) but if this build is good enough for you to carry a group I might just stick with upgrading my archon build instead, it's what I use for farming anyways and wouldn't cost a crapton of extra gold for extraneous equip that I won't use when farming..
Edited by Carnac#1372 on 12/4/2012 11:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
@ Genesis - That really depends on the group that you're playing with and the MP level. I've done Ubers @ MP7 with this build. There are some down times and I might mix up some of the skills/passives depending on who is in the group. If a CM Wiz is in the group change the passives to do more to frozen enemies and it really helps. If I have a group that can clear MP7 without a CM Wiz then I'll probably just switch to CM and play MP10 with them. This build isn't the best for Ubers but it's not useless.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]