Diablo® III

Hybrid Archon Guide

I've soloed MP3 ubers with this build and plan to try MP4 with it soon. I might be able to squeeze out MP5 or 6 with my gear, but solo is a lot of damage focused your way.
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 11:35 AMPosted by shine
@ Genesis - That really depends on the group that you're playing with and the MP level. I've done Ubers @ MP7 with this build. There are some down times and I might mix up some of the skills/passives depending on who is in the group. If a CM Wiz is in the group change the passives to do more to frozen enemies and it really helps. If I have a group that can clear MP7 without a CM Wiz then I'll probably just switch to CM and play MP10 with them. This build isn't the best for Ubers but it's not useless.

Come now Shine....I run MP 10 ubers with this build quite easily. Give the build the justice it deserves! I am quite the stubborn hybrid user though when it comes to Ubers and would rather run this than any cm/wiz. The damage I am dealing is quite noticeable on MP 10 ubers.

@Genesis

The build is pretty expensive path to be able to see the results at the higher MP stages, but those results are well worth the tiny bit more gold you'll be spending to get my min requirements for farming.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 12/4/2012 11:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
(This is Genesis btw, just found how to switch profiles for posting, lol)

Thanks for the reply, shine&schenko - I don't have a set group I run with, I just signed up in one of those 'looking for mp7 uber' threads and added a bunch of randoms. I tried out SNS yesterday but I'm wholly unused to it and the gear is pretty expensive (not that it's much cheaper for archon) but I think at least for archon I have the right pieces, just have to upgrade them eventually for higher ar/armor/dps to get closer to the godly stats that schenko listed instead of swapping to entirely diff pieces for ias/apoc/cc. Will try another uber run with arcane dynamo and see if that improves archon significantly!
Edited by Carnac#1372 on 12/4/2012 12:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
Tagging this for later.
Reply Quote

Come now Shine....I run MP 10 ubers with this build quite easily. Give the build the justice it deserves! I am quite the stubborn hybrid user though when it comes to Ubers and would rather run this than any cm/wiz. The damage I am dealing is quite noticeable on MP 10 ubers.

Well you have better gear than I do! Also I notice you're using Inna's. I just recently got a little more EHP but I don't think I could switch. I can't see the DPS being worth the loss in EHP. What is your reasoning?
Reply Quote
Basically I put more of an effort on getting elite/rare/gg bracers whatever you want to call it versus going Prowlers.

This basically allowed me to go the Inna path.

A GG Prowler versus mine gives me 8-9k dps gain while I lost 30k EHP.

My Pants I am wearing cost me 38m.....

My Bracers cost me 75m.....the Bracers that I would defend against any Prowlers out there.

Now....compare that to the Prowlers and I can't get one remotely good for the combined price of those two items.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 12/6/2012 7:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've recently started running with this build. I like it for three reasons:

1) I can run it comfortably at mp4 (and even mp5), whereas I was running pure archon at mp3. I see an overall increase in leg drop rate.

2) I can play with my WD friend in co-op without changing my build at all (mp3).

3) There's almost no downtime. I can still run into packs when on cooldown, so it's not a big deal if I lose archon.
Reply Quote
@Aspera

I bet that if you raise that health a little bit more than mp 5 would be your efficient pace.
Reply Quote
Anyone noticing some weird things with LL lately? I feel like the proc rate is fine, but in large mobs it's acting slightly different. Hard to explain, it feels like some of the lightning disappears or stops making sound.
Reply Quote
Haven't noticed anything with LL, sorry.

Question though: DOES a hybrid archon need 24% MS? I know 24% is great, but if your goal isn't perma-archon, could you find a better balance between DPS and EHP if you weren't constrained by a desire to keep 24% MS at all costs?

I know Innas are a DPS loss for me, not to mention the EHP hit. Lacunis are BiS, but for less money you can probably do better for EHP and similar on DPS.

If you are not optimizing for max movement speed, can you do better overall (for ubers and high MP) with something like Strongarm / rare bracers and diggers / blackthorne's / rare pants?
Reply Quote
How can Inna's be a DPS loss for you exactly?

If you put your Gems in my inna pants you will have the following vs your depths

271 vs 192(inna) Intel
612 vs 529(Inna) Armor

Pros Depths
77AR

Pros Inna
9% IAS
1% Crit
MS

You'll gain DPS, but you'll lose EHP.

If you want, you don't really need to focus on MS......especially for higher MP, but I still think 24% is key to success with this build. Is it required? No, but I think it's a plus and a big one at that.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 07:35 AMPosted by Schenko7
Anyone noticing some weird things with LL lately? I feel like the proc rate is fine, but in large mobs it's acting slightly different. Hard to explain, it feels like some of the lightning disappears or stops making sound.

I have similar experience, but not all the large mobs(Tremor is fine, phasebeast is not). I thought it was just rubberbanding. It's like LL just gets paused periodically, very noticeable when facing phasebeasts, which just pisses me off sometimes. Phasebests are PITA already, and now this... -_-
Reply Quote
^

Paused is the better word to describe it! It's really weird, but yeah totally new since 1.0.6
Reply Quote
@ Shenko - If I were comparing to using your Inna's, sure. My budget played into the comparison though.

New Question: Is 2-pc Nat's worth considering? I would need to sit down and run numbers and price the AH. Assuming you can afford a ring that's more than just a placeholder for the bonus, I could see that being a DPS buff.

I don't know that a 1h build packs enough CD to make the 7% extra CC pay out over more INT and an 8% elemental bonus, but I'm betting it's more clear-cut for a Skorn build.
Reply Quote
2 pc Nat will always be less dps than 2 pc Zuni for comparable rolls.

8% ele damage ~ 160-192 int + 130 int = 290-322 int
vs.
7% crit ~ 252-280 int

You'd need more than 650% crit damage for Nat to be competitive. I don't think that's possible for wizards.
Edited by Shelendil#1520 on 12/7/2012 9:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
^

Paused is the better word to describe it! It's really weird, but yeah totally new since 1.0.6

Is it a bug or something? maybe we should report it...
Reply Quote
It could be a possible bug, but wanted to see if other people were having the same issue. I think the best word now that I think about it is more of a *hiccup* in the process.
Reply Quote
And I thought it was just my mouse having issues...
@Maysrill - Don't do it. If you really want to though, I recently bought a nat's pair for my cm wiz with an eye towards potentially boosting archon as well but it's not working out for me, can sell/trade if you're interested.
Edited by Carnac#1372 on 12/7/2012 12:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
Nah, I wasn't home when I posted. Now that I have time/resources and Schenko's analysis to get me started, I see his point. It was a thought based on how much dps I get from each point of CC I gain. The loss of the 2-pc Zuni on top of the 8% elemental damage is tough to beat though. Too bad you can't 2-pc the Nat's set without giving up Zuni boots.

Edit: though in my personal case, it would be losing the 3-pc Zuni bonus, not the 2. I imagine if I went down that path, Tal's armor would be on the upgrade list somewhere. I haven't done it yet because I don't have the budget for Tal's with both good INT and EHP.
Edited by Maysrill#1190 on 12/7/2012 5:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Schenko7
It could be a possible bug, but wanted to see if other people were having the same issue. I think the best word now that I think about it is more of a *hiccup* in the process.

I found it can be glitchy depending what direction you're casting at. Sometimes it won't hit the mobs I want it to unless I move slightly over. This might not be what you're talking about though.

@Maysrill - I'm selling my old Tal Rasha chest
131 Intel
210 Vit
9% IAS
625 Armour
3 Sockets

Let me know if you want it. Add me in game. shine#1756
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]