Diablo® III

Hybrid Archon Guide

I am at work now, but while driving to work I started to think about a way to make this a true hybrid build.

The way the current build is already allows me to farm 7-10 pretty efficient though 7 is the best spot for efficient sake. For those out there playing or able to play do me a favor:

You must have high AR to run this....

Swap out DS for Wicked Wind

Throw Wicked Winds out there along with LL randomly. You should be able to get 3 Winds up while you LL. If I am correct, you should be able to maintain nova quick enough to not worry about having to fall back on DS. Archon should light up quickly for use.

Let me know....or I will just test when I get home.
Reply Quote
I am at work now, but while driving to work I started to think about a way to make this a true hybrid build.

The way the current build is already allows me to farm 7-10 pretty efficient though 7 is the best spot for efficient sake. For those out there playing or able to play do me a favor:

You must have high AR to run this....

Swap out DS for Wicked Wind

Throw Wicked Winds out there along with LL randomly. You should be able to get 3 Winds up while you LL. If I am correct, you should be able to maintain nova quick enough to not worry about having to fall back on DS. Archon should light up quickly for use.

Let me know....or I will just test when I get home.

I just tried it and maybe it's me but I can't seem to get it to work to the point that I think it's worth giving up DS. It does refresh it quicker but I run out of APoC before it does and I had a situation where my Archon was up but I couldn't activate it without AP. I don't run with any APoC though so if you had that on your source it would help for sure. If I switched to my Chants wand and source I could but then I think I'd just run CM/WW or SNS. I'll try it out a little more though.
Reply Quote
See that is what I thought would happen to since the Hybrid Build runs to avoid APoC....I wasn't sure if the extra Wicked Wind procs would make Nova practically instant along with keeping Archon down to practically zero refresh.

I'm guessing to run it smoothly, going off what you said you would need some APoC somewhere. I was hoping you were the one to test since your AR is high enough that perhaps one could avoid using DS. Are you running Prismatic?
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 12/12/2012 7:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
If I were running this build, what gear would I need to change? I use my barb's 1171dps LS sword when running my wiz and my unbuffed dps is about 194K, but my ehp is pretty low. It's 201K when using ruby in helm or 229k when using amethyst (a bit higher since my barb's sword has 107 vit as well). Good for lower MP levels, but sucks for higher levels. What MP level is recommended for my gear?
Edited by Celanian#1548 on 12/12/2012 8:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
27.5k Life is pretty low....you should be aiming for 30k at the lowest. Find some vitality somewhere.....

The MP lvl you should be looking at when you hit that 30k health spot is mp 5 perhaps 6.

Efficient though you're looking at 4-5 max.

Remove GC....put in nova/deep freeze and just follow what the guide said.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 12/12/2012 7:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
I have about 31K life when using my barb's sword. That sword has 107 vit on it. I'm going to experiment with this. Melting everything with perma-archon on MP1-2 is fun for awhile, but I'm not completely comfortable with the frantic pace needed and I like to occasionally stop or backtrack for loot. :)
Edited by Celanian#1548 on 12/12/2012 8:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
Your Wiz is solid, but your Barb seems like a way more valid option. I am not sure how you people roll around with multiple characters....I only have the time for one.
Reply Quote
My profile shows my buffed Archon + Prismatic armour. I wish I had 7200 armour and 1300 AR all the time lol. I was using FN + Deep freeze as well as Prismatic. I suppose a better test would be to drop deep freeze as I can pretty much refresh Archon almost instantly with it anyway.
I wonder if dropping FN instead of DS would be a better option during Ubers. You could used both LL and WW to refresh but still have the ability to take the hits until your Archon refreshed. My biggest issue using this build is for Ubers were it takes, in my eyes at least, too long to get back into Archon. During that time I don't feel that I'm pulling my weight and honestly it's the time in which my defenses are the lowest. Ideally I would like to be out of Archon for 2-3 sec max. This may help with that but I'll have to wait until my group is ready to do Ubers and potentially carry me.
Reply Quote
See I feel the opposite since I incorporated Dynamo in my build for Ubers. It's a lights out Archon skill with 5 stacks. Go in throw DS/Nova and plug LL on them. Archon should only be down minimal. Then when you get Archon back plus your 5 stacks...move away a tiny bit to make sure no knockback happens and just fire that beam.

I feel that Mp 10 this is the build that all Wizards should aim to run.
Reply Quote
Hey Schenko instead of using wicked wind for extra ticks, why not use Magic Weapon - Electrify? I tried this on MP8 and it kept mobs locked down and brought up Archon in no time. Also instead of Blood Magic to deal with reflect, drop out of Archon, and keep them locked using Electrify, then pop Archon again since the refresh is so quick.
Reply Quote
I will try that when I get home and mention it in the guide if I feel it is a viable part to this build. Thanks for the suggestion and I will give you proper credit if I feel it works.
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 08:39 AMPosted by Schenko7
Your Wiz is solid, but your Barb seems like a way more valid option. I am not sure how you people roll around with multiple characters....I only have the time for one.

I like playing different characters depending on my mood. Besides, my barb is at the point where any upgrade is going to cost 100M or more. I can build my wiz from the ground up for a fraction of the cost of the barb and gearing up is half the fun of the game. :)

I actually don't want to hit PL100 anytime soon on any of my characters since I'd have a lot less motivation to playing them at that point.
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 09:01 AMPosted by couchy
Hey Schenko instead of using wicked wind for extra ticks, why not use Magic Weapon - Electrify? I tried this on MP8 and it kept mobs locked down and brought up Archon in no time. Also instead of Blood Magic to deal with reflect, drop out of Archon, and keep them locked using Electrify, then pop Archon again since the refresh is so quick.

I think this is part of the problem with this game. There might be better solutions but barely any incentive to try them out. I'm not losing my 5 stacks when farming to try out a new build. I was playing with some pub the other day and he was using spells that I didn't even know what they were. I'm sure I used them when I first unlocked them but it made me realize that I really should try new things... it's just so hard when most are garbage.
Reply Quote
Just to add, due to the more effective lockdown I switched to shards from shell with no issues. Actually I think it is working even better now.
Edited by couchy#1938 on 12/12/2012 9:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 09:04 AMPosted by Schenko7
I will try that when I get home and mention it in the guide if I feel it is a viable part to this build. Thanks for the suggestion and I will give you proper credit if I feel it works.

so did you test that mod ?

12/12/2012 09:31 PMPosted by couchy
Just to add, due to the more effective lockdown I switched to shards from shell with no issues. Actually I think it is working even better now.

It looks promising I'll try tonight :)

First comment on this topic so FoA, thx a lot guys for sharing this build. I was previously thinking of building a sns wizz but I found that guide and decided to switch to the arcane side :)

I was already playing archon for farming purpose but now I can play in upper MPs thx to all of you :)

Just a question after my first try.
Even tho I won't ask for a stupid MP requirements (considering you already gave some milestones), can you prioritize those numbers ?
weapon excluded, lets say you have 2M, 20M and 200M for armor stuff, what should we aim first for those budgets ? I'm asking that coz as a lot of guys out there I can't buy trifecta everywhere, keep a high eHP and 200k+ DPS easily. So I need to know what to sacrifice before I drop a good leg :)
Edited by zeli#2663 on 12/13/2012 1:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 09:01 AMPosted by couchy

I am curious if you are running a variation of this hybrid build? Your profile suggests otherwise and I didn't see how this was all that useful for higher MPs especially with affix reflect damage. Blood Magic is our calling card for high dps, even with high AR. I think my Ar's in Archon are 1200+ without checking. My base AR is 840 w/o Prismatic.....I didn't see the added help whereas Bloodmagic I can absorb all sorts of damage due to the extra healing. I am going to vote no on Electrify being useful with this build. Perhaps on lower MP levels, but the extra damage will negate what you are really trying to accomplish, which is regaining Archon back.

Moving to my Wicked Wind substitution for DS.....I found that on MP 7-8 this can be very viable if you run Pinpoint and have high AR. You are able to get 2 wicked winds out and spam LL and throw in some more winds, but usually by then it's rechaged. For farming, I think this is really something to look into....the only issue is I died once in an act 3 run using this whereas I can't remember the last time I died using the general farming method.

UBERS:

I found that removing Nova and placing Wicked Wind in can really take advantage of regaining Archon back quickly. The reason you replace Nova is simple....you really don't need to keep the foe frozen as that isn't your main goal in this build especially for ubers. For ubers, you want to get that 5 stack of Arcane Dynamo w/Archon beam quick. Subbing out Nova for Wicked Wind while keeping DS to absorb the small amount of damage you are dealt not in Archon is the better fit.

Passives:

Blur- Skeleton King- Helps more than you may think
Arcane Dynamo- 5 stacks....this is the WOW factor us Wizards all signed up for....if only it was always 75% for say 10 seconds? Would feel much better.
Critical Mass- No brainer as to why.

Evocation really isn't needed, it isn't going to make that large of a difference. If you feel your Armor/Physical Resistance is fine( I like a little more added defensive abilities in case my entire group falls and I have to carry)then you can remove Blur for Evocation.

If anyone is in doubt of the way this build handles mp 9-10 ubers....please do add me and I will show you the true power of the Hybrid Archon.
Reply Quote
@Zeli

Honestly that is a loaded question there sir....I would look at people like Samll, Shine, and myself for gearing benchmarks.

People tend to have differing opinions on what matters the most.....

In my book it'd be

Weapon
Source
Amulet
Gloves

These four items have to be legit to be good....

From there you start building your AR/VIT in your other items while trying not to sacrifice too much DPS in doing so. I am quite happy with my items that I wear....it took a long time to get them, but it's well worth the payoff in the end.

Also....Mrs Schenko is due any day now for our second child so my playing time is going to be reduced heavily. I hope to keep this thread alive as I am one of the strongest supports of Archon builds....especially this one. I will check in daily at work, but your suggestions to running anything different than what is in the build...may take a bit longer to respond to than I normally would.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 12/13/2012 5:28 AM PST
Reply Quote

I am curious if you are running a variation of this hybrid build? Your profile suggests otherwise and I didn't see how this was all that useful for higher MPs especially with affix reflect damage. Blood Magic is our calling card for high dps, even with high AR. I think my Ar's in Archon are 1200+ without checking. My base AR is 840 w/o Prismatic.....I didn't see the added help whereas Bloodmagic I can absorb all sorts of damage due to the extra healing.

Yea the past two days I have been messing around with all sorts of skills trying to find some new ideas for builds, so my profile is constantly changing.

In regards to Blood Magic, you are using a 2.5% life steal weapon. Blood Magic makes that 2.8% right? If you get a weap with 3.00% then that is more useful than Blood Magic at 2.8 and then you can add more damage with a different rune. Assuming you have no survival issues at 3.00%.
Reply Quote
I tested out the WW/Nova idea on MP10, and you are right you have enough ticks to perma-freeze without DS required, and bring up Archon quickly, however any ranged enemy can snipe you and you will die in one shot, especially spearmen and any champ / elite ranged.

I made of vid of LL/Electrify. First refresh was roughly 7 seconds, second refresh was roughly 8 seconds, with give or take 90-95% cooldown remaining.

http://youtu.be/dQR5UYPc42A

The build I used is standard except for Electrify, and Cold Blooded instead of Evocation. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bOXYSm!gWZ!cZaYaZ
Reply Quote
i dropped ds for familiar for lower level farming but cant do so for higher levels though, firstly coz im running glass cannon coz i need the dps boost and have pretty solid mitigations unbuffed (debuffed). but most importantly i use shards for the dps boost out of archon.

But my build is a bit different since im geared for cm, so i use ww exclusively and at 2.73 aps , decent cc and 19 apoc i get very good skill refreshing for the shard damage and freeze.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]