Diablo® III

Kiting Wizards: Share your builds!

Hello fellow students of the arcane arts,

This is a place for kiting wizards to discuss effective builds! If you're looking at this, you're probably not too fond of tanking builds, like CM/WW. Why? because like me, you appreciate that a wizard is a spellcaster that can deal lots of damage from afar, never letting his opponents touch him / her (ideally).

This is not a place to diss other specs, but to share your own success stories and the builds that helped you achieve them!

I'll start. This is the build that I'm using right now. So far it's worked awesome for me up to MP6 inferno. Forked lighting is great once you reach highish critical hit chance, and Blizzard Stark Winter + Cold Blooded work amazing together. Enemies inside my Blizzard take tons and tons of damage. I'm using Storm Armor and Scramble (which I would only recommend for solo play). Scramble is awesome for solo play, because you'll get mini-sprints every time you're hit. Reflect Damage procs this sprint... which makes fighting reflect damage mobs VERY fun, because you'll be sprinting forever, as long as you're damaging RD mobs.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UlSiTX!YcW!ZYZbYa

Variation:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#blSiOj!YcW!bYZbZa

You can substitute Piercing Orb for Fork Lighting. If you're playing on lower MP levels (5 and below) you can get away with not having Diamond Skin or Force armor. My DPS goes up to 181k if I use this build, but I far prefer the extra survivability that Diamond Skin gives me.

Arcane damage variation:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acSiOj!YcU!cYZaZa

This one is very fun, although you lose the extra damage from Cold Blooded. With the recent buff to Arcane Missile you can do very decent damage even with runes other than Charged Blast. What I like about this build is that it brings a welcome change from kiting with Blizzard, because the Temporal Flux passives causes mobs to be slowed down every time you deal arcane damage. Couple this with Arcane Missile and spammable Arcane Orb with Tap the Source and you get a very solid kiting build that doesn't rely heavily on Blizzard.

Share your kiting Wizard builds!
Reply Quote
I'm not really a kiter unless its a nasty affix combo (e.g., fast, reflect, shielded) but I'm not a SM wizard--I stack % damage increase. Mainly I run around in circles at 24 MS getting mobs into oncoming meteors (Wall of Force can actually be kinda useful for this and it stuns them when a meteor hits them in the head) while the Hydra keeps plugging away. With my gear and build MP4 is a breeze and very efficient.

I'm going to play around with swapping out the MM for a shock spell and see how it works.
Reply Quote
Mine is:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aRSTXi!WUT!cZZZaa

Basically:

1. Kite with MM, doing passive damage with Hydra and Storm Armor, until you get 5 AD stacks.
2. Pop DS and channel a powered-up Disintegrate until everything's dead or you have to run.
3. Repeat

Because the Arcane Dynamo mechanic encourages alternating between periods of kiting (while building up stacks) and periods of sitting still channeling (when you burn them on a Disintegrate, which you want to keep up as long as possible), I find it produces a very fun feel to the class...not quite as "always running" as blizz/hydra, but not as frantically murderous as Archon or as in-your-face as cm/ww (also much cheaper than both of those).

If you get your hands on an item with -4/5 to Disintegrate cost, you can also swap between this kiting build (for higher MP, like key runs and uber runs) and a Disintegrate/Archon build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#mRSTjQ!Wfg!cZcZaZ

...for MP1/2 XP farming, which is nice because you don't need to switch gear for the two builds (unless you're running with extremely low CC for the kite build).

*edit* Oh, and I'm using Cold Blooded because I have a +Cold Damage ammy on my Scoundrel, and in multiplayer I usually play with at least one CM wizard...if you don't have those sorts of ways to chill enemies, feel free to swap that out for Glass Cannon, Astral Presence, Blur, Evocation...whatever floats your boat. Storm Armor can also be swapped for Force/Prismatic if you're dying a lot and/or you've got a ton of AP cost reduction on Disintegrate.
Edited by AS00#1295 on 10/30/2012 11:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
*edit* Oh, and I'm using Cold Blooded because I have a +Cold Damage ammy on my Scoundrel, and in multiplayer I usually play with at least one CM wizard...if you don't have those sorts of ways to chill enemies, feel free to swap that out for Glass Cannon, Astral Presence, Blur, Evocation...whatever floats your boat. Storm Armor can also be swapped for Force/Prismatic if you're dying a lot and/or you've got a ton of AP cost reduction on Disintegrate.

I was going to ask!

Interesting build, I'll give it a try.
Reply Quote
An oldie but a goodie. I'm farming MP5 with a few deaths per run. But it's like the old days... sigh, those were the days.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bcQiSO!dcX!bYYaZY
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZiSTjm!WXY!cbcZac

I tried this one last night on a nMP4 key run and had fun with it. Probably not viable for higher MP, but still fun.

Edit: Archon is in there just for grinding down elite stacks. That's why CM isn't part of the build - I'm fine with the cooldown as the ability is only for extra dmg boost in tough fights.

Edit edit: I just wish I had an EF with socket. Sickle procs really suck for kites. :P

So, +elemental dmg can trigger cold blooded? If I equipped a SOJ that gave cold damage, would all of my attacks gain dmg boost from passive? Even in archon mode?
Edited by ATGOWTWT#1159 on 10/30/2012 11:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
No, +elemental only works on skills that don't convert damage type. The only Wizard skill that doesn't is Spectral Blade. The way to tell is that it says "[X]% weapon damage" instead of "[X]% weapon damage as [element]." However, follower auto-attacks don't convert damage type, so if you give the Scoundrel a +cold damage item and train Multishot, he'll chill 3 mobs at a time, which isn't terrible.
Reply Quote
Ok, that makes sense. Otherwise, +cold would probably be fetching a higher premium than ias or CC.
Reply Quote
Worth noting that every other class except WD has a ton of skills that don't convert damage type, so if you've got a WW barb buddy or a SW monk friend who's rocking a cold SoJ, pop on Cold Blooded when you play together.

*edit*
My Hardcore wizard uses a plain vanilla, Blizzard+Hydra+Piercing Orb build
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#blOXQi!bWf!bbcaZa

I may try meteor frozen comet instead of blizzard.
I'm not crazy about Piercing Orb (if only it would fly STRAIGHT) and I've been looking for some variations.

Ultimately I will use whatever gives me a greatest chance of survival.

Have you tried replacing Blizzard with Meteor: Comet? That very nice Oculus makes me think a meteor build might work well for you. Obviously, still kiting (it's HC after all).
Edited by AS00#1295 on 10/30/2012 12:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Mine is the good ole Blizz/arcane hydra/ forked lightning(my profile). Works great for groups and even elites, but bosses or single targets are tough due to low single target dps. not a huge deal but i figure with my crit % anything other than forked would be walking away from a lot of aoe dmg. Plus it allows me to stand and burn while also kiting when needed.

Think magic missle with dynamo would be a better option? If so should i go with split for big targets(where all 3 bolts hit) and some aoe, or maybe penetrate, or the boss killer seeker?

Also, for anyone who has the cash, picking up a cheap windforce with high proc rate (i think mine was 800k gold) is nice to have on the scoundrel for the added knockback...really helps keep distance between you and the mobs with his multi shot, plus his aoe blind has saved me more than a few times.

Happy kiting!
Reply Quote
10/30/2012 12:51 PMPosted by Keystone1
Also, for anyone who has the cash, picking up a cheap windforce with high proc rate (i think mine was 800k gold) is nice to have on the scoundrel for the added knockback...really helps keep distance between you and the mobs with his multi shot, plus his aoe blind has saved me more than a few times.

I approve this message.
Reply Quote
Check out my arcane dynamo blizz/hydra. It works well up to MP7. Havent tried to farm any higher than that yet.

Ehh it looks like my profile is showing my mp2 archon farm build. sorry guys
Edited by welly321#1382 on 10/30/2012 1:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I run a crazy kite build. Your welcome to take a peek if your interested, but I doubt anyone would run it other then myself. lol
Reply Quote
My build http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WQXeSO!fdZ!bYaZZc

Must have life regen.
Reply Quote
10/30/2012 04:01 PMPosted by Pail
I run a crazy kite build. Your welcome to take a peek if your interested, but I doubt anyone would run it other then myself. lol

Dang, when the forum gurus said "blizz/hydra is a good kiting build," you didn't mess about, did you?

I gotta ask...do you just constantly recast Blizzard, or what? You have to cast Hydra every 15 seconds, and Blizzard every 6 seconds, so that's 7 total casts between them every 30 seconds. With your .90 APS 2-hander and ASI on the Lacunis, you're running about 1 APS, so that gives you time to make 30 attacks in those 30 seconds. Your fire-and-forgets take up 7 of those attacks, so for the other 23 seconds you...run in circles? Reposition your hydras? Spam non-stacking Blizzards? I have serious trouble believing you wouldn't be better off throwing MM: Seeker on there in place of Sparkflint.

*edit*
My build http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WQXeSO!fdZ!bYaZZc

Must have life regen.

Can you give us a little more here? I'm confused about how you kite with Spectral Blade (not even runed for range).
Edited by AS00#1295 on 10/30/2012 4:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Dang, when the forum gurus said "blizz/hydra is a good kiting build," you didn't mess about, did you?

I gotta ask...do you just constantly recast Blizzard, or what? You have to cast Hydra every 15 seconds, and Blizzard every 6 seconds, so that's 7 total casts between them every 30 seconds. With your .90 APS 2-hander and ASI on the Lacunis, you're running about 1 APS, so that gives you time to make 30 attacks in those 30 seconds. Your fire-and-forgets take up 7 of those attacks, so for the other 23 seconds you...run in circles? Reposition your hydras? Spam non-stacking Blizzards? I have serious trouble believing you wouldn't be better off throwing MM: Seeker on there in place of Sparkflint.

I wasnt kidding when I said Im prob the only one who runs this kite spec, lol.

You pretty much guessed it though, I just reposition hydra when needed and keep my screen frosted with blizz and run my *** off rarely getting even touched. Run in a room drop them both, and wait outside for everything to die, anything comes remotely close get zapped by Lighting armor. The reason I use sparkflint and magic weapon is because I really like seeing crazy crits from lighting armor. Coldblooded is making it hit even harder so I make sure my screen stays in blizzard. If Im feeling really frisky, Il spam blizz till im out of mana and mele chilled mobs w Diamond skin up for insane crits also. Iv noticed if im out of mana and try to cast blizz on a mob, I will run over and mele them for a crazy amount with that 2h. That 2h is also making Lighting armor do crazy amounts of damage. For some perspective I have 120k dps fully buffed, and i often see 350-400k crits from lightening armor and mele attacks. I do run lots of regen to deal with Reflect since none of my damage will proc lifesteal or loh.
Edited by Pail#1116 on 10/30/2012 5:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I tried this build out last night and enjoyed it. I didn't enjoy how squishy i was when i finally did get caught, but it does field a lot of damage even with my relatively crappy gear.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aPlgQT!bXY!YZbZab

For clarification i was using an offhander instead of a shield so my dps was a lot higher
Reply Quote
How does Blizzard fare with Arcane Dynamo? Anyone have any experience with this.
Reply Quote
mine

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bPXYgT!gbW!cYaccc

Cm used to at least fast reset of SLow Time and Frost Nova, with Diamond skin as backup while running from elites like arcane/plagued/desecrator/molten.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]