Diablo® III

Kiting Wizards: Share your builds!

10/30/2012 09:33 PMPosted by Zed
How does Blizzard fare with Arcane Dynamo? Anyone have any experience with this.

Haven't tried it, but to theorycraft: Pretty sure it sucks. Blizzard only deals 35% weapon DPS (210% over 6s = 35%/s). Multiply that by 1.75 and you've got ~61% weapon DPS (on one Blizzard), which...still sucks. Blizz/Hydra works because Blizz is a huge, cheap, relatively long-duration AoE snare; the Hydra is the real damage dealer.

That said, AD and Hydra are amazing together, so incorporating it into a Blizz/Hydra build should work pretty well. Like:

LMouse: MM Seeker
RMouse: Blizzard Snowbound
1: Force Weapon
2: Armor of choice
3: DS or Teleport Fracture
4: Hydra of Choice

Passives: 3 of Glass Cannon, Arcane Dynamo, Illusionist, Cold Blooded

...should work quite well.
Reply Quote
I use an Arcane Orb build. (See my profile)

My basic MO is I approach the baddies, freeze them with frost nova, and then spam Arcane Orb (obliteration). Because of Cold Blooded, I'm getting a nice DPS boost. I also use Diamond Skin (prism) which reduces the cost of the Orb by 7. In addition to stacking crit chance, I've tried to stack crit chance for Arcane Orb specifically on my rings and source. I use Electrocute (forked lightening) when I run out of arcane power. When used in combination with my APOC, which varies between 20-30 depending on what helm I am using, my arcane power gets charged up fairly quickly. I'm thus able to sometimes spam the Orb, launching 20 or so (assuming there are enough baddies to proc the APOC). I've tried to up my APS quite a bit in recent weeks, as that enables me to launch a ton of obliteration orbs in quick succession when I am fighting elites. I also use the Stone of Jordan ring to increase dmg against elites. As for armor, I was using Ice Armor (crystallize) but now favor Energy Armor (energy tap) so that I have more arcane power. Increasing my APS has caused my DPS to drop significantly, but I'm not complaining. I really like this build. I just wish that Chantodo's Will had more than one random property on it. Would have liked a bit more, like Max Arcane Power.
Reply Quote
10/30/2012 09:33 PMPosted by Zed
How does Blizzard fare with Arcane Dynamo? Anyone have any experience with this.

I tried Arcane Dynamo a while back. Not really a fan. I am hoping that Blizzard will one day soon allow us to have 4 passives. Then it might make sense for me to use it.
Reply Quote
Seems it's the right place to incorporate more wizards into my crusade to make Devs fix our hydra spell.

Did you know that hydra:
- Reflects damage but does not return lifesteal or life on hit ?
- Does not take your critical damage bonus into account ?
- Does not take Cold-blooded bonus into account ? (and let me guess, most kiters use it with blizzard)
- Does not take Bonus to elites into account ? (like Stone of Jordan)

All of this personally tested.
Let the devs know of your opinion about the state of our "iconic" spell !
Reply Quote
Seems it's the right place to incorporate more wizards into my crusade to make Devs fix our hydra spell.

Did you know that hydra:
- Reflects damage but does not return lifesteal or life on hit ?
- Does not take your critical damage bonus into account ?
- Does not take Cold-blooded bonus into account ? (and let me guess, most kiters use it with blizzard)
- Does not take Bonus to elites into account ? (like Stone of Jordan)

All of this personally tested.
Let the devs know of your opinion about the state of our "iconic" spell !

Thank you for raising awareness. I actually have another open thread in the bug reporting forum. I'm sure if we all work together we can make enough posts so that our thread will be noticed.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7006891608

If you use Hydra you must post in this thread for the greater good!
Reply Quote
Heres my kiting build. Its an odd one but very effective. I like the double dps of meteor and forked lightning. They essentially both run non stop with my APoC gear. Illusionist keeps teleport up.

Overall pretty efficient at MP 3+ clearing for keys.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/jethrodood-1960/hero/22111738
Reply Quote
This might be a stupid question, but can Blizard crit? If so, is it the entire blizzard or just each tick? The reason I ask is that I switched to blizzard last night (was using arcane orb before but kept running out of mana) and didn't notice any crits...my crit chance is pretty low though so I just may have missed it.
Reply Quote
My current set.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acXiSO!ZXf!cYabcZ

I tweak it to frost hydra and force armor for the ubers.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#icXOSk!XYU!aYZZcZ

My kiting build.

Need around 20 APoC to have constant arcane orb casting

Next step is to get source and ring with +arcane orb crit chance and try CM instead of astral presence.

I don't need blizz because of mirror image and arcane dynamo. If you need more slow, get scoundrel with a ice weapon
Edited by Opera#1581 on 11/1/2012 7:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Check my build on this topic

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004343136
Reply Quote
I've got a weird hybrid build going on. My Wiz is kind of a mutt right now, but for some reason it works. It's like a CM/Raining Meteor/Kiting build. It doesn't excel at one particular thing, but instead being decent at multiple things. I can spam meteors and twisters almost non-stop during mobs, and my crit chance and aps are just barely good enough to make CM/DS work. And I can always switch to the Scramble rune for the increased movement speed to kite away while laying meteors and twisters everywhere.
Edited by Bukizzle#1560 on 11/2/2012 6:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I use what is currently in my profile not sure how good it is.
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 06:40 AMPosted by Lordpiecrust
I use what is currently in my profile not sure how good it is.

Your build is pretty similar to mine with a couple small differences. I really enjoy it. Stark Winter is a great rune, it snags almost half a screen width of mobs. The only problem with it, is the AP cost. I tried to go back to my old build using Snowbound and dropping Energy Armor for a damaging spell like Meteor or Arcane Orb and I seem to have gotten very accustomed to Stark Winter because I didn't like it anymore :(

The only thing I'd suggest to you, is maybe use Prismatic or Pinpoint Barrier for Energy Armor. With 40k health and a kiting build, I can't imagine Force Armor is all that useful. But hey, if you like it, to each their own :D
Edited by Seraphi#1863 on 11/2/2012 6:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Love my Fire Boltz with Grasping Chill...works great on reflect dmg mobs...Slow'em down, Bolt, run away while they burn Conflag style. Just very good for point blank dmg too (152%x3)/LoH(33% per bolt?x3) when mobs get too close to stand and deal Forked Lightning.
Working on my Vit/Regen/AR.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UbljTS!ZeW!ZZaacc
Edited by FL0Maxx#1702 on 11/7/2012 5:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
arcane torrent build here....... with a nice 2 hander with life steal you can face tank some mobs
Reply Quote
I've been experimenting with an arcane torrent build as well. I have blizz/hydra for desperation time against some elites.
I usually play with a friend who is a tank barb and when they get the enemies distracted or trapped in a doorway I just stand back and have infinite arcane torrent, so its pretty much my primary skill. It does a good job of clearing lots of white trash as you can just stand there and move the arcane torrent around. reflect elites I have to switch to another 2H with LS and LOH (want a good LS Skorn), fast elites sometimes turn into blizz/hydra kitting so its nice to have those 2 spells as back up.
Reply Quote
Arcane Torrent is kind of the best of both worlds in that it's AOE (small radius mind you) and it does decent damage to a single target. With Power Of The Storm up and a decent cost reduction helm you can get AP so low you can spam it constantly.

Kiteing with it can be a bit tricky however, You have to aim right in front of where the mobs are walking and then run. It handles and feels unlike any other wizard spell...

@DaMann I might have to switch out crystal shell and give blizz and cold blooded a try looks like a possibly interesting tweak to my current system.
Reply Quote
I'm an old schooler also. I do forked lighting with arcane orb and hydra. I added archon with arcane destruction in there recently just for fun.
Reply Quote
BlackFlag, I use Arcane Torrent to kite too, but I use Death Blossom..
Check my video using Death Blossom to kite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annPzqR_qIk
Reply Quote
blizz hydra with disintegrate
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]