Diablo® III

Kiting Wizards: Share your builds!

TLDR: Core skills that makes the build work -> http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#...QkO!d!...cbY
Almost every hit you take resets the 265% weapon damage aoe from tele, also knocks back blues/yellows.
Fill it out with other skill choices, eg: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#URXQOk!TdZ!aZacYb
------------------
I just stated playing my wiz again, making my way through inferno act3 at the moment. I'm using a build centered around the Illusionish passive and force armor.

Gear requirement:
- as much all resist and armor as you can afford, helps reduce damage so that mobs dont easily blow force armor cap
- zero vit to start with, increase it only if mobs are blowing your force armor cap (I'm clearing inferno act 3 fine with 10k hp, survivng belial was easy)
- as much life regen as you can afford
- And for dps, the usual miix of Int, cc and cd but ias is the least desirable for this build, slow hard hits is best.

(my wiz gear excluding the soj and hellfire cost me about 2 mil total, skorn was the most expensive @ 1mil, soj has no all res and not neccessary for build)

How it works:

Survival:
High resist to reduce damage, i got 70+ on most pieces. With my 10k hp, force armor converts a max of 13.5k damage hit into a 3.5k damage hit and it takes about 1 sec to regen that back (3300 regen). Not tanky but if you watch your positioning, being able to out heal 1 hit per sec is enough to survive. Clearing act 3 inferno atm, I die mostly when more than 3 fireballs hit me all at once or if I just stand there like a tank while tons of mobs are meleing me, but it just means you have to play like a wizard to survive.

Damage:
Use mirror image that blows up to do damage and chance to stun. Teleport on top of a pack of mobs for a 265% wd aoe (slow 2 hand setup). Every time you get hit.. 90% of the time the hit will do more than 15% of max hp (10k hp for me) and reset tele and mirror cd (illusionish passive)

Essentially every 1 hit you take lets you cast 2 exploding clones a 265% weap damage aoe that also knocks back even blues/yellows and slows them 60% so that the big group you just teleported to will not all be meleing you. And it only takes 1 sec to regen back the damage from that 1 hit. Havent tested knockback on bosses, belial stage 1 just teleports away when i do the telewave damage.

I filled the build out with arcane dynamo, forked lightning and disint+nexus. And crystal shell for when force armor looks liek it might not hold up. I'm not sure how it will hold up at higer mp or at efficiency but I'm having fun with it atm. Hope this helps those looking for different builds XD

Question: does critical mass's effect work on unstable anomaly's 60sec cd? ie does cm reduce ua's cd?
Edited by Boulder#1909 on 11/2/2012 8:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#liQmSO!YUW!baZcZc
basically playing without a skill that forces me to stand still for an extended period of time and with a heavy speed reduction the only problem this build has are phase beasts (which according to my experience goes for every build) and the lack of farm speed. i think there was not a single time i died and couldnt have helped it. For obvious reasons reflect damage hurts.

Currently i run a variation of this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#leQmiO!YdW!baZcac
which offers more damage, but has severe mana-problems and obviously isnt that mobile.
Reply Quote
Glad to see some dedicated fellows out there willing to share and explain the reasoning behind their builds!

Keep them coming. This is becoming a great resource thread. :)
Reply Quote
This is a build I was having fun with this weekend.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#PQYjTg!Wdg!ZaYYZZ

You need APoC and CC to make it work but it's really fun and does amazing DPS.

Basicaly you Teleport in a group, Slow Time + Nova + Meteor.

You can then run out and keep spamming Meteor in the bubble.

Nova get's you Cold blooded bonus and +15% crit chance which your next few meteor will use to reset everything.
Reply Quote
this its my build

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aeidQO!Ydf!cbbaYY

the arcane mines, use lesser arcane power that the arcane orb. WOW its for knockback the mobs, giving me some time to put more mines and hydra. force armor its just in case.
Edited by Ang1892#1744 on 11/5/2012 10:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
My Wizard build is actually in my blog.

Just want to share it also.

http://humblegamers.blogspot.com/
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cQkijT!XdU!YYZaaZ

A build I use to use. Dont use it anymore. Archon for low MP farming and CM for high MP ubers, but with good enough gear u can really do what ever u want.
Reply Quote
Here is mine: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UPSQXT!Wdc!ZYcYaZ

I just switched to this build after being a long time forked lightning user and after recent experimentation of a pure meteor build.

Here is my FL build, basically the build popularized by James: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UliQXO!WdY!ZY.Yac

My meteor build (also called the raining meteor build) is this one: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#PgSQXT!XgZ!ZZ.YaZ

My current build is a hybrid of the FL and meteor build. FL is fantastic against groups but really lacks against single larger targets like the keywardens and bosses. But because of the instant dmg that electrocute gives, it was super effective for quick dmg and chasing down fast movers, like goblins. It works off the tried and true cold blooded + blizzard combo with hydra thrown in for bonus dmg.

Conversely the meteor build hits super hard, but is somewhat difficult to time and has periods of very low damage if you are not getting crits to regen some of your AP. I found that I had a lot of trouble killing goblins, which was a big down side. However, it showed off what storm armor can do, which is 100-200k crits every second or so and was a ton of fun dropping big hits.

The key combination to my build is using comet to trigger the +20% dmg bonus for following meteors and your FL and storm armor hits and subsequent comets. It has a pretty simple play style, but has a good combination of dmg. You have very quick effective dmg with electrocute that can do massive group dmg. With the prodigy passive the FL generates AP quickly to drop more meteors.

Whether you prefer illusionist or CM is totally preference. I use blood magic because I am still looking for a LS weap that I like and can afford.

Gear you need:
AR - you are using your armor spell for bonus dmg, so you need a good amount of defense
APOC - meteor is expensive to cast, and added regen is a bonus

Recommended:
Life regen - I run with about 1500, and can quickly regen and hold down the fort against reflect dmg elites
+Health from globes - they added in the patch that these items also effect health potions. I have about +16k health and each globe I get is an instant full heal, same with pots. This adds a lot of survivability

I use 4/5 tal rasha. I do this for the bonus lightning and cold dmg as well as the bonus 2AP/s regen. I likely could get more dmg out of other items, but the set bonuses are nice.

With my gear I have about 90k dps, 37% crit chance and 244% crit dmg, I can one shot mobs in mp4 with a crit comet. I have gotten 700k crits, and commonly 500-600k crits with comet. This is on top of electrocute getting 60-80k crits and storm armor hitting for 100-200k every second. I can clear a3 on mp7 with this build and my gear.

This build has a lot of big hits, mobility and versatility. It is a ton of fun to play, I really recommend it.
Edited by ComplexPants#1396 on 11/5/2012 6:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
My build is:
1/Diamond skin/crytal shell
2/Magic weapon/blood magic
3/Arcane torrent/arcane mine
4/Familiar/sparkflint
5/Blizzard/snowbound
6/Energy armor/primatic armor or pipoint barrier
Need source have 8+ AP on Crit
That's all. Arcane mine is very good for run run run,because it have 30% reduce attack speed and moving but it need 2 sec to make an exploision,so need Blizzard to keep monters slow
Passive:
Blur or ....
Crit mass
Glass cannon
Edited by DevilHunter#6873 on 11/6/2012 3:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
I used to run a build that was TanKite

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bPYgTS!TgX!caZbcZ

With LoH and CMass i could stay inside big mobs and not die but for difficult elites Id have to kite by casting a time bubble, and dropping 3 meteors while they were in it. they impact dmg + the molten dmg after impact works like a charm.

If anything got close to me a quick freeze and another time bubble did the trick. When I played with groups I would switch the 80% slow time bubble out for the 60% slow + 20% dmg time bubble. my group loved it.

The Storm armour makes you a little squishy but i had +24% MS when I was running this build so i was crazy fast (Innas temperance, lacunis, & boots)

This is my newest build and tanksolos mp5 flawlessly.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bPYXfS!WgX!cYZccZ

It was tough getting rid of the arcane dynamo but the 20% extra dmg from clod blooded + the 30% wep dmg from ice armour more than makes up for it. I literally nvr die with a LoH build.

Also, I was surviving MP5 without a problem with 2 friends in game, not participating. Havent tried it yet but believe this build to be effective solo build for up to mp6 or 7
Reply Quote
my build is a fairly simple one.

MM seeker to build up AD
frost Nova to have some crowd control mechanism
Blizz (main dmg dealer)
hydra (secondary dmg dealer)
Blood weapon
pris armour for some survivability

so far, frost nova (cold snap) works pretty well here as blizzard do have some crits and with the reduced down of nova, 1 blizardz will give me -3 to 4 secs off the cooldown timer.

once in a while, will switch out to my frostburns to have more effect for packs.

*learnt a few nice builds from this post....keep it up! =]
Edited by geldorave#1138 on 11/13/2012 6:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
so far i prefer arcane torrent for ranged dps...
it seems to bring them down the quickest
i'd like to try meteor sometime though...
just gotta find a place for it
Reply Quote
nothing special but here's what i used to use before being brainwashed into being a cm/ww @_@

1 teleport/safe passage
2 hydra/arcane
3 blizzard/snowbound
4 ea/pa
LC mirror image/duplicates
RC arcane orb/tap dat a ss i mean source

evocation/astral presence/cold blooded
Reply Quote
nothing special but here's what i used to use before being brainwashed into being a cm/ww @_@

1 teleport/safe passage
2 hydra/arcane
3 blizzard/snowbound
4 ea/pa
LC mirror image/duplicates
RC arcane orb/tap dat a ss i mean source

evocation/astral presence/cold blooded

ha, brainwashed ; ;
won't be using ww or teleport in hc... need a primary(shock pulse<piercing orb>) and stormchaser for annoying ranged...
...never really needed teleport to escape lol, mostly just to enter...gonna get some cc reduction just in case though
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 06:43 AMPosted by Jarring
ha, brainwashed ; ;

oh plz you know i meant that with love and affection :P

yeah i've been a teleport lover ever since but somehow i'm slowly trying to pry myself away from it. i dunno, sometimes old habit never dies, yadda yadda
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 06:52 AMPosted by pichapiegal
ha, brainwashed ; ;

yeah i've been a teleport lover ever since but somehow i'm slowly trying to pry myself away from it. i dunno, sometimes old habit never dies, yadda yadda

it's nice to have, definitely, but is it necessary? that's what you gotta ask yourself. but i'm playing hc anyways, i'd still use teleport(wormhole) with wicked wind on sc
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 06:56 AMPosted by Jarring

it's nice to have, definitely, but is it necessary? that's what you gotta ask yourself. but i'm playing hc anyways, i'd still use teleport(wormhole) with wicked wind on sc

yeah. really helps me getting out of tight situations regardless of me being a cm/ww.

for instance, i could use teleport to go to another mob when the first mob is dwindling down in numbers and just leave them twisters to finish off the little few ones and teleport to a new 'out of reach' mob.

imagine monk's thunderclap, im kind of like that. also useful chasing down ubers "kulle/skelly/rak/gaga"

also, i find it extremely flexible especially against certain affixes/situations "arcane/cornered/jailed/molten imminent/freeze imminent.

although i am starting to look into slow time direction but we'll see
Reply Quote

yeah. really helps me getting out of tight situations regardless of me being a cm/ww.

for instance, i could use teleport to go to another mob when the first mob is dwindling down in numbers and just leave them twisters to finish off the little few ones and teleport to a new 'out of reach' mob.

imagine monk's thunderclap, im kind of like that. also useful chasing down ubers "kulle/skelly/rak/gaga"

also, i find it extremely flexible especially against certain affixes/situations "arcane/cornered/jailed/molten imminent/freeze imminent.

although i am starting to look into slow time direction but we'll see

yeah i do the same thing.. i like teleporting from pack to pack with cm.. teleport-pack dead. teleport off c/d. teleport-pack dead, teleport off c/d.

as for attack speed.. i honestly don't find it necessary to stack it on every item...diamond skin and explosive blast don't have global c/ds anyways.. i guess it would help keep the frost nova up, but aren't you already a tank with loh?
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 07:09 AMPosted by Jarring
as for attack speed.. i honestly don't find it necessary to stack it on every item...diamond skin and explosive blast don't have global c/ds anyways.. i guess it would help keep the frost nova up, but aren't you already a tank with loh?

to be honest, even though i can make my build work, i'm still having problems here and there which i use teleport to, how do you say, 'reposition' myself when i am thrown out of sync.

technically, i am not yet a finished build and still farming for that lottery loot that will send me on a shopping spree.

regardless of having 2.58 aspd 39.5 cc and 1k loh, i am still incomplete so to say. i just happen to be good at making things work until i get tired (fingers) then i die. haha
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 07:15 AMPosted by pichapiegal

to be honest, even though i can make my build work, i'm still having problems here and there which i use teleport to, how do you say, 'reposition' myself when i am thrown out of sync.

technically, i am not yet a finished build and still farming for that lottery loot that will send me on a shopping spree.

regardless of having 2.58 aspd 39.5 cc and 1k loh, i am still incomplete so to say. i just happen to be good at making things work until i get tired (fingers) then i die. haha

lol i'm not even near that, but i feel the same way about making things work. i don't have too much of a problem with reposition.. i've always been able to do that with movespeed.
btw, have you tried storm armor/shocking aspect? owns. who needs nerfed prismatic armor anyways?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]