Diablo® III

[Guide] Comprehensive CMWW Guide

Hey all, so I've built my wizard using this guide more or less. I really don't know if this is the place to ask or not but I was curious if anyone could look over my gears and let me know what you think I could improve on and where? I'm over the 2.73 aps breakpoint, got 1200 LoH, 96k(103k with Slow Time and TS rune) dps, 45% chance to crit, and 18 APoC. I was just wondering if by looking at my gears and those stats if anybody could give me anymore pointers about things to improve that aren't going to cost me a couple hundred mill. Thanks.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Meleeking-1966/hero/30542347
Edited by Meleeking#1966 on 1/31/2013 1:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6636034172#1
Reply Quote
I know it says that the build is mostly for farming ubers and keys but will it work for farming MP1-4 with a WW barbarian or a witch doctor?

My archon build just wont cut it for group play so looking for something else :D
Reply Quote
It's not very good at low MP because you likely kill mobs too fast, which means you'll run out of AP casting WW only to have the mobs die before it refills your AP. Without AP you also can't refresh DS, FN, and EB, so your survivability takes a hit too.

If you have very little dps then MP3-4 might work but if the other members of your group have high dps you're better off running a higher MP or switching to a different build, imo.
Reply Quote
Big thanks mate!
Reply Quote
I have 20M gold and want to do higher MPs on my Wiz. Basically, I need a Hellfire ring.

I'm Archon right now which is great for lower MPs, but for keys and Ubers I'll need CMWW (correct me if I'm wrong).

Here's the question: do I spend the 20M now on a set or farm MP0 as Archon until I have more gold?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
Still need halp! Please :x
Reply Quote
I used this guide and now I have a huge problem:

I have to really be careful or at any point I could literally drown in pu$$y.
Edited by Annesh#1909 on 4/7/2013 5:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Love this guide it is a great help.

Could I use Spectral Blade with Healing Blades (1.5% of damage) rune instead of Teleport?
My source gives 11% extra damage to SP and the rune helps me survive.

Also I know everyone says use Stormcrow but the Tal gives me so much more HP. I just die if I have less HP

Lastly would anyone mind having a peek at my set up and giving me a tip or two?

I am dirt poor (400k) so unable to buy anything for this build really unless I get lucky.

Thanks guys
Reply Quote
Love this guide it is a great help.

Could I use Spectral Blade with Healing Blades (1.5% of damage) rune instead of Teleport?
My source gives 11% extra damage to SP and the rune helps me survive.

Also I know everyone says use Stormcrow but the Tal gives me so much more HP. I just die if I have less HP

Lastly would anyone mind having a peek at my set up and giving me a tip or two?

I am dirt poor (400k) so unable to buy anything for this build really unless I get lucky.

Thanks guys

You can use healing blades if you really want to but you shouldn't, imo, as it's a waste of a skill slot in the build. It uses an attack turn and does less damage per cast than WW. Also, WW procs CM and LoH much better than healing blades. Usualluy healing blades have their own build without WW.

SC > Tal because of the LoH+APoC. If your current gear is the same you use for CMWW your problem isn't the lower HP it's the lack of attack speed. If you raise your total APS to 2.5+ you'll have a much much better time surviving. You can make up extra HP on other slots if needed.

You also need more crit, so I wouldn't recommend using the build too much for farming. It really starts to shine once you have a good 20-50mil gold to spend on it to start.
Reply Quote
Oh k haha I wasn't understanding APS properly which is obvious since I had Spectral and Meteor at the same time -_____-
Does anyone even use Signature spells or they waste attack turns completely?

Ok so I equipped Storm Crow and these are current stats:
40% CC & 208% crit damage
375-425 average resistance
3400 armor
1175 Life per Hit
10 APoC (20 with a Chant)

Only problem is most (affordable) Chantodo's drop me around 5-10k DPS for some reason?
Should i bother spending 100k on a SC that has Socket?
Lastly what item would be most worth spending on seeing as I have a few that need replacing (Gloves imo)

Ps. just sold Subtle Essence and flipped something for the first time so i have a 1mil budget now woot
Edited by phildo#1882 on 4/7/2013 8:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You want a SC with crit, and it only has 1 random roll so you can't get a socket then. 40CC is very low so you should work on raising that to 45-50%. For APoC I like to run with 20 just to be safe, though you can get away with less if you have enough CC and APS. 10 is too low.

If you really want to flesh out a CMWW set, you want IAS/CC gloves, rings, and amulet. You'll want a high APS Chanto, either with IAS, CD or socket. The IAS versions make hitting 2.73 APS much easier, so go that route if you want to run ubers a lot. Otherwise you can stick with 2.5 APS and just use a CD or socket chanto like I have.

When first gearing, forget about char sheet dps and mostly ignore CD. The build itself really needs a good balance of stats to work well. With high APS, CC, APoC, resists, and armor you will have a pretty decent effective dps even with somewhat low char sheet dps. Otherwise your dps or survivability will suffer.
Reply Quote
Nice Guide!

I have a decent monk but when I was carried by a CM wizard(uber MP10), I wanted to try this myself.

I spent as little as possible to see if I like it, I spent less than 10M and got this (probably could've spent less if I used bidding instead of buyout)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Gungnir-1425/hero/6352392

As mentioned in low MP things die too fast for this build to be effective but in high MP xp farming is very inefficient.

What would be the best way to level my CM without changing gear and builds?

What gear could I upgrade that cost least amount of gold? (Maybe get a Chanto that has CD/OS/IAS ?)

Lastly, why is all physical damage weapon preferred (I won't be changing from Chanto anytime soon but just curious)
Reply Quote
Physical damage weapon is only preferred if you're trying to run with zuni+triumvirate. It's because the "Adds x% [ELEMENTAL] damage" affix, like on zuni boots, triumvirate, and Storm Crow adds damage proportional to your total physical damage. That means you get more damage out of the affix with black weapons and less with weapons that have elemental damage, like chanto wand. For CMWW I wouldn't worry about that though, unless you decide to try running with a black dagger.

To level CM I like running higher MP keeps level 2. With your dps I'd stick to MP5-7. I'd also switch FN rune to Deep Freeze and your DS rune to shards.

For upgrades, I'd start with either weapon or OH. The damage on your OH is a bit low and you can often find 200+ave damage with 200-250+int and 50-100 vit starting around 10 mil. You'll probably lose some vit in the process but it should be fine since you're mainly running lower MP until you can raise your dps. For weapon you can go with IAS if you want, which would let you use less IAS on gear and thus be able to get more dps while keeping the same APS breakpoint. Otherwise a CD wand will probably be cheaper than OS and you can still get the same overall dps since they will have a higher base dps. Besides, OS chanto with 1050+dps are like 100 mil+. I got my wand, 1140 DPS with 65 CD for like 70-80 mil and it's about the same as a 1070 dps OS for me.
Reply Quote
Physical damage weapon is only preferred if you're trying to run with zuni+triumvirate. It's because the "Adds x% [ELEMENTAL] damage" affix, like on zuni boots, triumvirate, and Storm Crow adds damage proportional to your total physical damage. That means you get more damage out of the affix with black weapons and less with weapons that have elemental damage, like chanto wand. For CMWW I wouldn't worry about that though, unless you decide to try running with a black dagger.

To level CM I like running higher MP keeps level 2. With your dps I'd stick to MP5-7. I'd also switch FN rune to Deep Freeze and your DS rune to shards.

For upgrades, I'd start with either weapon or OH. The damage on your OH is a bit low and you can often find 200+ave damage with 200-250+int and 50-100 vit starting around 10 mil. You'll probably lose some vit in the process but it should be fine since you're mainly running lower MP until you can raise your dps. For weapon you can go with IAS if you want, which would let you use less IAS on gear and thus be able to get more dps while keeping the same APS breakpoint. Otherwise a CD wand will probably be cheaper than OS and you can still get the same overall dps since they will have a higher base dps. Besides, OS chanto with 1050+dps are like 100 mil+. I got my wand, 1140 DPS with 65 CD for like 70-80 mil and it's about the same as a 1070 dps OS for me.

Thank you for the fast reply.

I will definitely look scout AH for a good deal on Weapon and OH.
I won't be in hurry to upgrade until I get some playing time.

Do you think I can run MP10 UBER?
I know my DPS is way too low and EHP is not high either but I am not actually plan on DPSing them myself but let my friends do it since I have friends who can dish out damage we just don't have CM wizard.

So I in short can i perma/semi-perma freeze them with my spec?

If not what would upgrade should be my first concern? (IAS? more CC?)

EDIT: I just found about your Uber section of the guide!!
Edited by Gungnir#1425 on 4/9/2013 11:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just tried Uber MP10 with my newly made CM wizard.

I can do the Ghom one, they are mostly frozen. Don't know how you guys do this without a macro keyboard (my arm hurts for spamming)

I am definitely lacking DPS though so basically just freezing stuff and hope I don't get one shotted.
Reply Quote

I can do the Ghom one, they are mostly frozen. Don't know how you guys do this without a macro keyboard (my arm hurts for spamming)

I am definitely lacking DPS though so basically just freezing stuff and hope I don't get one shotted.

If you want to make life a little easier against Ubers, switch to EA+Pinpoint or Prismatic. Most likely your dps contribution doesn't matter much and you're mainly there to freeze mobs.

That's assuming you're running in a group. Otherwise, if you're soloing, try running in a group, hehe.
Edited by Loroese#1415 on 4/9/2013 5:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

If you want to make life a little easier against Ubers, switch to EA+Pinpoint or Prismatic. Most likely your dps contribution doesn't matter much and you're mainly there to freeze mobs.

That's assuming you're running in a group. Otherwise, if you're soloing, try running in a group, hehe.

Ahh that makes sense.

I will switch to EA-Pinpoint until I can get 50%+ crit gear than prismatic so I don't die (although probably get one shot either way)

Yeah I am there to just freeze them. Maybe I will even switch the Slow Time rune from stretch time -> time wrap. I would have to test if I can mostly freeze them without the speed buff from time warp.

Does EB-Chain Reaction contribute a lot to the CC stacking?
Since I am not that concerned with my DPS I was thinking something that will help with freezing or surviving. Maybe Magic Weapon or Familiar ?
Edited by Gungnir#1425 on 4/9/2013 6:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Nothing will really help your freezing over CR, but CR is mainly for DPS. You should still be able to use it in your rotation though.
Reply Quote
I see that the breaking point for 40 ticks is 3.001 aps. My stats shows 3.00. How do I know if I've hit the 3.001 mark?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]