Diablo® III

Guide: How to achieve 1 mil eDPS-finished

View profile
Chap 1: What is eDPS

I think most players nowadays are pretty familiar with the concept of eHP, the amount of un-mitigated damage you can take.

When it comes to DPS, we often see people ask questions on forum "how can I hit X amount of DPS". Most of the time it is safe to assume they are referring to the number when you open your inventory.

Unfortunately, that number is largely useless.

1. We do 0 DPS dead, and it is worsened by the fact we have to wait for respawn timer, run back to the site and very possibly die again. (what killed us the first time will very likely kill us again, reflect, tremor packs, etc.)
2. As WD, our moves are greatly constrained by resource, we do very little damage spamming primary skills instead of using our powerful moves like bears/acid cloud.

So by simply browsing a WD's profile, it is very hard to tell the effectiveness of the player.

eDPS: It is the amount of DPS you can sustain against a single target. It is affected by our mana regen, combination of skills, choice of weapon, resistance, armor, life etc.. it is a complicated score which measures your true effectiveness in battle.

Unfortunately there is no "eDPS calculator" to use. That is why I am making this post about eDPS.
Edited by DanSkyWalker#1988 on 12/17/2012 12:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Chap 2: How much is 1 mil eDPS and how to roughly measure your own eDPS.

Simply put, if you can achieve 1 mil eDPS, these are the things you will be able to do.

1: reliably finish any elite packs in 2-3 secs in MP3 and below. There will be some odd cases that it will be longer due to shielding/ kiting elites and such.

2: kill elite packs in MP8 solo in 15 secs or so if you are not crowd controlled by them. The fights will not be reliably this short due to the brutal nature of high MP but without 1mil sustained eDPS you will end up grind a pack for minutes.

3: comfortably farm MP10 ubers with similar gear lvl players and finish all 3 + MP10 KW in 30mins or less

http://www.twitch.tv/hiddenfootprints/b/346812429

So 1mil eDPS is a good goal to aim for since you will be able to handle all content that is currently available to us.

How to measure your eDPS.

1.Use your own farming build, and the gears you have.
2.Start the game at checkpoint : kill ghom
3.Find the highest MP you can kill ghom without being killed by the gas
4.Record the time of the kill and divide ghom health by time

i.e. MP10 ghom have roughly 135mil health, so if you can kill it in less than 135 sec, your eDPS is breaking 1mil.

Why ghom?
Ghom has constant HP for a certain MP lvl
Ghom's gas is a constant DoT which test your mitigation and life recovery

Real farming mileage will vary from this test result, but it is a good starting point to gauge your eDPS.
Edited by DanSkyWalker#1988 on 12/17/2012 11:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Chap 3:

How to achieve 1mil eDPS

1. First of all we have to be able to stay alive. Nobody is going to farm MP10 ubers with you if you die all the time, unless you pay them to carry you or do it as a favor.

400k unbuffed eHP is a good goal to aim for, it prevents you from being one shot a lot or killed in a short period of time. There are a lot of unavoidable damages in Diable3, so eHP is a very important buffer.
You can check your eHP using diabloprogress.com and your battletag

Also, you need life recovery mechanism, LS on weapon and/or 1600+LOH on weapon+gears is a good goal to aim for to tank through DoTs and handle reflect.

2. Mana, mana, mana. As I stated above, WDs' moves are constrained by our resource. So, determine which skill do the most damage for you, and try to spam that skill as much as possible.

Personally I find 4pcs zuni set necessary to achieve 1mil eDPS.
Ofc this is not applicable to 0dog or primary spam builds, which I have no experience in.

Also widowmakers+VQ is a very reliable mana return combo in high MP as well.

3. After achieving the above, you want to hit 400% critical damage and 40+cc

3.a one hand and mojo: CD+OS+LS weapon, which is very expensive. If budget constrained, aim for OS+250+int+LS weapon, which is about 1/3 the price and also can boost you to 1mil eDPS. Try to get high CC and CD on amulet/rings/gloves. Mojo has to have 250+ average damage and 8+cc

3.b Skorn. LS/LOH+160CD and up+high int. Zuni helm has to have critical chance instead of mana regen. Stack CC as much as you can on amulet/rings/gloves, and get at least 2-3 sources of IAS. !.2-1.3 atkspd for Skorn is good for mobility, personally I wouldn't mind higher. It is easy to get a lot of CD with a skorn, so CD on amulet/gloves/rings are not mandatory..
Edited by DanSkyWalker#1988 on 12/17/2012 4:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Reserved for Q&A
Reply Quote
View profile
Disclaimer:

The above are from my personal experience and knowledge, by no means it is the optimal setup or do I claim it is the only way to achieve the goal.

Thanks for reading
Reply Quote
I just did it in 75 seconds the ghom challenge so that makes my eDPS 1.8 million !

Btw really interesting thread, this might show a lot of people that hitting the highest dps is not important, it's how you survive and deal damage aswell.. I always said it , you do 0 dps when your dead!
Edited by eviLal3x#1616 on 12/17/2012 2:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
It's going to be difficult to reduce all those concerns down to a single metric. First off, I think people should be clear on "paperdoll", it's what your dps reads on the character sheet with absolutely no buffs (make sure to dismiss your follower).

As for my eDPS, I think of it as paperdoll x (Int+650)/Int x 1.5 x .5 x (275x4)/100
Or in other words, factoring in 5 stacks from Soul Harvest at 130 each and 5 stacks from Gruesome Feast (the standard buff for this build), multiplying by the base speed of my attack which is .5 because it's 2 skills both cast at speed 1APS, and multiplying by the damage of the attack which which is 275% WD per dog x 4 dogs.

Or for me, that's 103,000 x (2509+650)/2509 x 1.5 x 5.5 = 1,069,892 AOE 12 yards

I don't factor in Slam Dance, but I keep it in mind as a separate number. To get that I multiply by 1.3(APS+.3)/APS. Or 1.3(2+.3)/2= 1,599,489

So I'm putting out about 1 to 1.6 mil dps depending on whether slam dance is up.
But then an SoJ, so against elites it's +28 from extra damage from elites (which is not shown on the paperdoll). So that's 1,369,461 without slam dance, and 2,047345 with slam dance. That's assuming a 5/5 buff, so dropping below that (like on Kuhl/Seige where there's only 2 SH buffs to be had) is going to be lower.

Best guess factoring that in, I'd say paperdoll x (Int+ 520)/Int x 1.4 x 5.5 A 4/4 is buff is what I'd say the long term average is. That's 957,473 AOE 12 yards, on white mobs without elites. Lets say 1/2 the time is elites, so that's multiplied by 2.28/2 for 1,091,519 and to put slam dance in there it's 1.3(APS+.3)/APS multipied by 1+(Uptime/Cool Down) or 1+[1.3(2+.3)/2 x (20/90)].

As a rough number, I'd say 1,454,145
Edited by SimplMasheen#1766 on 12/17/2012 2:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
Your way to calculate eDPS seems totally wrong as you are taking for granted that you will have 5 stacks of gruesome and 5 stacks of soul harvest at all time. When you fight an elite pack in mp10 or any boss in mp10 you wont find a lot of health globes or have many stacks of soul harvest. This is why the way danskywalker calculated the eDPS seems much better, he was rigth about ghom's gas, you have to survive and deal damage, if you cant tank those gas you have to constantly move so you arent dealing ANY damage by moving, now if you can stand still and take those hit aswell as dealing damage then you can easily calculate your EDPS that way, by the time it takes you to kill ghom on mp10. the way youc alculated your eDPS was ALL paper not in actual game situation.
Edited by eviLal3x#1616 on 12/17/2012 1:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
I did talk about that, but I bloody make the health globes at .6 per second. But, I'll go do Ghom alone for you. Most targets aren't so fat you can pour three bears into them easy enough either, btw.
Edited by SimplMasheen#1766 on 12/17/2012 2:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Oh I didint ask you for ghom , I was just stating that in farmign situations where you kill a lot of white monsters, making health globes is pretty easy.. but when you are fighting ubers / elite packs / boss you wont make as many. So you cant calculate eDPS when taking for granted you have 5 gruesome feast stacks, 5 soul harvest and that the monsters will be standing still waiting for damage... This is why I said that danskywalker's way to calculate it seems pretty accurate since ghom does damage constantly so balanced characters will be able to deal more damage per second than people with less resistance and armor that will have to move all the time to avoid taking damage from the gas.

** I just saw you are a zombie dog witch doctor so yes you might have 5 stacks of gruesome more often than a zombie bear witch doctor, I should've checked your profile first :) **
Edited by eviLal3x#1616 on 12/17/2012 2:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
Well I did, and it was 94 secs, seems about what I was calculating. Health globes are actually easier when ur standing still just attacking, because this build makes globes. So, for example, on ghom, I had 5 stacks of GF for a 1/5 buff. But on a different build, yeah, you would not put in x 1.5 just for having GF.

*yeah, nvm.
Edited by SimplMasheen#1766 on 12/17/2012 2:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Well I did, and it was 94 secs, seems about what I was calculating. Health globes are actually easier when ur standing still just attacking, because this build makes globes. So, for example, on ghom, I had 5 stacks of GF for a 1/5 buff. But on a different build, yeah, you would not put in x 1.5 just for having GF.

*yeah, nvm.

0 Dog docs are beyond the scope of this post since I have 0 experience with it, but I think it is good stuff.

0dog docs can spam the main damage skill without being constrained by mana, which sets it apart from most WDs.

So I think calculating eDPS from paperdoll DPS for a 0dog Doc is possible, while for most bear docs/RoT AC docs, it is harder to do the calculation while doing a ghom test costs like 2-3 mins.

Also impressive results
Reply Quote
Why would or should we care about the damage we can sustain against a single target? The majority of game play is not against a single target. Seems frivolous imop. It won't help me farm any better, and it won't help me in PVP as most players won't just stand in 1 spot like ghom. Not trolling, just don't see the point it gives me a number that is only pertinent to how quickly I can kill ghom in relation to others.

Edit: Also all ghom does is test your poison resistance...
Double Edit: BR isn't always better then SA. LOL.. ugh steps away from this thread..gl with your eDPS
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 12/17/2012 4:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
That way seems to test how well you can survive and how much damage you can do, I highly doubt a glass cannon will survive.. give it a try brahm :)
Reply Quote
View profile
I just tested my pvp gear/spec. 500k edps and was able to kill gohm on mp10 first try but it took awhile since I had to run from the gas all the time. I was able to kill him on mp3 in 22s with same setup without moving. not sure what hp he has on mp3 though.
Reply Quote
View profile
12/17/2012 04:11 PMPosted by Brahm
Double Edit: BR isn't always better then SA. LOL.. ugh steps away from this thread..gl with your eDPS

edit: my assumptions are over simplified and might result in confusion, so I removed the part from the original post.
Edited by DanSkyWalker#1988 on 12/17/2012 4:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
[quote="74151353600"]
My calculations and assumptions might be not accurate, but stating sth and "step away from the thread" is a real mature way of discussion, but oh well.

Yah, I don't want to turn your thread into a mess of arguments and derail it. I think that is the mature thing to do. Your math is wrong, it's already been hashed out in other threads. No point in going over it all again. Thanks for your contribution though makes for a fun mini game for people who chose to spec this way.

<--seriously last post in this topic stepping aside as it's not relevant to my interests if you want to discuss it further you can add me in game and we can chat about it.
Reply Quote
View profile
Yah, I don't want to turn your thread into a mess of arguments and derail it. I think that is the mature thing to do. Your math is wrong, it's already been hashed out in other threads. No point in going over it all again. Thanks for your contribution though makes for a fun mini game for people who chose to spec this way.

<--seriously last post in this topic stepping aside as it's not relevant to my interests if you want to discuss it further you can add me in game and we can chat about it.

Hmm, I think the case is actually more complicated than my assumptions since if you start at max mana, the larger mana reserve will affect the result. I will simply remove that part of statement from my post and do more research about it. Thanks for pointing it out for me.
Edited by DanSkyWalker#1988 on 12/17/2012 4:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/17/2012 04:39 PMPosted by Brahm
Thanks for your contribution though makes for a fun mini game for people who chose to spec this way.

So far you've been against people gearing or using skill that are good for surviving and killing fast. The reflect damage discussion was " why would you spec only for 1 skill" . Now killing ghom on mp10 is a way to show how much damage you can do and survive aswell, it doesnt only test your poison resistance ( everybody uses all resists anyway) it shows you that someone that cant take hits will be moving all the time to avoid the damage which makes you do no dps during that period.

So, what I can tell is so far you think the best WD will be the one that farms mp0 the fastest? lol
A good which doctor will be able to survive all situation and deal the most damage at all time. Someone has 500k dps ? no resists he will msot likely be dead all the time and deal 0 damage at all time, and now for your "pvp" part, players might not be standing still ( I clearly wont be using bears for pvp ) but will definetly need to take some damage and deal some aswell.. might be the time for you to check your build as it might not be up to date..
Reply Quote
View profile
So, what I can tell is so far you think the best WD will be the one that farms mp0 the fastest? lol
A good which doctor will be able to survive all situation and deal the most damage at all time. Someone has 500k dps ? no resists he will msot likely be dead all the time and deal 0 damage at all time, and now for your "pvp" part, players might not be standing still ( I clearly wont be using bears for pvp ) but will definetly need to take some damage and deal some aswell.. might be the time for you to check your build as it might not be up to date..

I think what "current end game is" and what people do in game varies greatly.

I have people who only do relaxing fast exp/loot runs in MP0-2. I have people who do endless key runs and ubers all the time. So as long as someone can have fun with whatever content he choose to do, it is all subjective. Since he stated that he has no interest in this topic and he doesn't think this is a meaningful way of measuring your effectiveness, there is no point of engaging him.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]