Diablo® III

What Really Makes D3's Atmosphere Less Dark?

What Really Makes D3's Atmosphere Less Dark?

play path of exile 3rd act 3rd floor, a dungeon called solaris temple

its the best answer to OP question
Edited by Tgod#1757 on 2/1/2013 3:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
I dunno who dug up this piece of gold but every single word of it speaks truth.
Reply Quote
to me, it's really about frank gorshin as marius that brings me into the world of diablo2 in the cinematics. he really does an amazing job of showing how terrifiying the lords of hell are, especially during the ritual where diablo transforms. when baal is about to kill him he starts crying out why he deserves to die, baal catches the whole prison on fire and walks out like a badass...reminiscing.
Reply Quote
wow a diablo 2 cinematic i actually hadn't even seen before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxnWjyvmpnI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLSNmKpCw6I
Edited by Eyeless#1959 on 2/1/2013 4:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
You should check out redlettermedia.com, they do a break down of the Star Wars movies and show that the description of the force between the prequels and the original trilogy contradict eachother. It was a mistake to make the prequels. But check out that website the breakdowns are hilarious.
Reply Quote
Very well put OP.

Couldn't agree more.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 05:39 PMPosted by BIG
You should check out redlettermedia.com, they do a break down of the Star Wars movies and show that the description of the force between the prequels and the original trilogy contradict eachother. It was a mistake to make the prequels. But check out that website the breakdowns are hilarious.

I'm a huge fan of RLM :) many of the criticisms of modern video games are the same as their criticisms of modern special-effects blockbusters like Avatar and the Star Wars Prequels.
Reply Quote
View profile
OP I agree 100% to your post.

Unlike gameplay, art/music won't be changed - ever. We would just have to pray for D4 it's dark like D2.

Blizzard South have made the complete wrong turn in regards to art/music.
Reply Quote
I think it has to do more with attitude. There are still plenty of gross or disturbing things, but you more or less just shrug them off because your character knows he's a badass.

You are directly looking to confront the LORDS OF HELL FFS and you treat it like it ain't no thang. You don't have to assemble any device that will make you capable of taking them on (Horadric Cube, Staff, Khalim's Flail), you just go in, wreck their !@#$ and %^-* them up.

Also, they just talk too damn much. The only thing Diablo said in D2 was "Not even death can save you from me" and that's when you fight him in the middle of Hell. In D3 it's like a terrible supervillian monologue while the hero completely screws up his plans.

Add to this that before you get to Inferno the game is a complete joke in terms of difficulty and there you go.

Think of it this way: If you knew there was a giant spider (like, can eat you like a fly sized) in your basement, it wouldn't matter how much light there was, you'd still be scared !@#$less. If there was a kitten down there and it's pitch black...decidedly less so.
Reply Quote
@Original message:
Brilliant post. Completely agree with every point made, and am sad this has changed the game so much from what it used to be.
Edited by BartR#1740 on 9/28/2013 3:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
D2 was never "dark", it was due to light radius that made it seem dark. Increase the gamma and watch how the game turn into clown land. Also the lack of use of bright colors contribute to part of it.

D3 uses too much bright neon colors, glows, sparkles and fireworks, not sure what the developers were thinking but I guess they had too much pride and wanted to prove the D3 could work with bright colors. Looks like it backfired, just look at whimsyshire.
Reply Quote
  • Too much dialogue that takes away from the mystery and scaryness
  • Brighter, more saturated, different colors/graphics very often
  • Less disturbing & scary but rather more adventurous and action-y in general, I think, that goes with every aspect, like the music for instance.
  • On paper, a lot of things are quite scary in the game, but from an execution standpoint, a lot of aspects feel cheesy.

Looks like it backfired, just look at whimsyshire.

Whimsyshire is a secret level that is supposed to be super saturated and colorful, it's supposed to be funny, not dark and gritty.
    Edited by TomCii#2893 on 9/28/2013 5:33 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    12/30/2012 01:04 PMPosted by PhxdB
    Then the butterfly queen shows up...

This
    Reply Quote
    the lords of hell remind me of Philip Seymour Hoffman. in no way do they seem bad @$$.
    with everything cut out im surprised its not rated pg 13 lol.

edit: mission impossible 3
    Edited by Deadfront#1699 on 9/28/2013 6:22 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Would have love to seen the game filled with stuff like Farnhams butcher experience in D1.

I am actually pissed off now. Oh well its not a diablo game, its freaking Dungeon Adventurer 3 and can be okay if you pretend it has no story at all or doesn't have a diablo sticker.
    Reply Quote
    02/04/2013 09:28 AMPosted by Zoid
    Add to this that before you get to Inferno the game is a complete joke in terms of difficulty and there you go.

Actually leveling recently, I am quite surprised how challenging hell mode is to pass in hardcore. Have to play some major AH Tycoon Warrior to beat it, and even with boss gear its still giving me plenty of close calls on MP0. Just grinding it out slowly to get to inferno mode where the gear pool will be more plentiful in AH Tycoon (I am assuming). For a reference highest grade gems I have on person is Perfect Square in weapon and Flawless Squares in armor. Its so expensive to upgrade.

Anyways, I am still outraged with the pathetic diablo 3 story execution. But if I pretend the game is just called Dungeon Adventurer 3, and has no story, it kind of works....
    Reply Quote
    What makes D3 less darker is the absence of a Light Radius stat. Light, light everywhere!
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]