Diablo® III

What Really Makes D3's Atmosphere Less Dark?

Really, Pony land? Then they nerfed it, joke over! It is now as dead as act 1 2 and 4.
Reply Quote
Wonder when they say we all play act 3 to much and nerf that too?
Reply Quote
My little pony land aka Wimsyshire or whatever its called ruined it for me. It was such a bad idea to add this zone I have no idea what they were thinking and there's no words I can formulate into a coherent though to express how disgusted I am by this stupid zone. Lets see 4 man death-match scraped my little pony land thumbs up put it in.
Reply Quote
12/30/2012 06:09 PMPosted by Fingerling
My little pony land aka Wimsyshire or whatever its called ruined it for me. It was such a bad idea to add this zone I have no idea what they were thinking and there's no words I can formulate into a coherent though to express how disgusted I am by this stupid zone. Lets see 4 man death-match scraped my little pony land thumbs up put it in.

Working as intended, they want to see nerds like you get mad.
Edited by fathom#6674 on 12/30/2012 6:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
2. Sound here is not as important to me as far as atmosphere goes.

3. Talking NPC's from time to time makes them feel alive. NPC's that never talk even in the chat box. Makes them more like mindless automatons. That would hurt immerson for me.
Also the same thing happened in D2. So you should've been mad at Blizz North for not making mindless automatons.

This is also where the dark atmosphere is for me. In D2 the NPC's seemed to more confident in the hero than they are now in this game. To me the gloominess of the NPC's is what sets the dark atmosphere for me.

4. I do not agree with you here, not too much information. They are giving you the lore of Diablo. Some of that lore can be gotten by reading the books on Diablo. But those that have not bought the books can just play the game and learn what they want to know about the lore.

5. So then Deckard Cain shouldn't have been with you in every town if we are to follow your rules for this point. The devs of the game choose who the main character will be for that game.

6. If you were terrified by the transformation of the Wander in D2. Then I would say do not watch any Vincent Price horror movies or you would have a heart attack. That game along with the first one had about as much chance of scaring me as the movie known as "The Fly". That movie was more sad than scary.

I am pretty certain if someone rescues you from a torture device you would be happy as well. Sure you would still be in pain, but you would be happy to be alive and thanking the one that rescued you.
Reply Quote
Pauses before act bosses.

In D2, almost all act bosses you encounter suddenly (except Duriel)
sometimes while having to fight through a bunch of other
monsters. (A3, two Council members, plus often an elite group of vampires)

Encountering Diablo, there is a short pause, but it's
like he's up and lighting hosing you from the get go.
No speech, just FWOoosh!

In D3, every boss has a pause, a break in the action.
Like you know you're going to face the boss.

gc
Reply Quote
According to JW:

[quote]Jay Wilson: Agree to disagree? We get lots of compliments on the story and dialogue.

Who is complimenting them, Nickelodeon? Seriously, it just sounds like a$$ kissing to me. No one tells you it sucks to your face.
Reply Quote
Dialogue, colors, overall theme,
too flashy.
half-way in between cartoony & realistic = destroyed dark theme and not sure where they're going with it.
Reply Quote
Just off the top of my head:
In Diablo the succubi were naked, but in D3 are clothed.
In Diablo when fighting Lazarus there was a !@#$ing human child which his heart ripped out on an alter in the room. Blizzard wouldn't have the balls for that now.
In Diablo there were actual pentagrams and other occult symbols all over the place. This has all been cleaned out of D3.
I just feel that Blizzard treated us more like adults when were were children than they do now.
Reply Quote
12/30/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Pushover
In Diablo the succubi were naked, but in D3 are clothed.

The succubus are still naked in d3. They even have less clothing now. (switched from bikini bottom to g-string).
Reply Quote
Great post. Times are changing. We just have to accept that. Gaming wasn't that popular back in the day so devs could get away with things such as pentagrams. Now, in order to compete, devs have to build their games towards the greatest amount of people possible. Most people would be utterly disgusted if they saw a pentagram in D3.
That being said, this is just the way corporate management works.
Such a pity really ;/
Reply Quote
It doesnt help that whoever wrote the story for D3 fudged it up big time. Its so lame most of the time. I dont think the game is terrible, but it couldve been done so much better. It was just not very likeable to me and didnt feel very "diablo". The OP was right on the mark about the music. D1 was so great cause of the scary music and weird creepy noises. ALSO I think the fact that there is no light radius anymore. It was scary when demons and monsters would rush out from the dark to attack you and you couldnt see it coming. Just little things like that can really make a game that much better. Just my thoughts. I really want this game to keep getting better. But its disheartening right now
Reply Quote
It's completely the storytelling and the characters.

I look around and think this atmostphere is actaully pretty dark as I look at dead bodies around me.

Then the butterfly queen shows up...

Totally agree with you. I thought Act 1 was pretty dark, at least when you were descending through Leoric's chambers and you had all the blood and torture instruments everywhere.

But like you said, genuinely dark areas are unfortunately counteracted by pure silliness. Which doesn't do much for the "feel" of the game overall.
Reply Quote
Great post. Times are changing. We just have to accept that. Gaming wasn't that popular back in the day so devs could get away with things such as pentagrams. Now, in order to compete, devs have to build their games towards the greatest amount of people possible. Most people would be utterly disgusted if they saw a pentagram in D3.
That being said, this is just the way corporate management works.
Such a pity really ;/

I'm pretty sure there was a pentagram at the end of Act 3, when Adria was doing that ritual that included Leah. (It was formed on the ground, in blood I believe).

Or am I mistaken?
Reply Quote
I can't put a finger on it but I know exactly what you're talking about. I feel like D3 has no theme. It's a knock off of the older games of the series with no new content except updated graphics/animation. I would compare it to copying a famous artists painting. No matter how similar it looks, it's still lacking substance behind it; an empty shell if you will.
Reply Quote
The atmosphere can only be redeemed in an expansion w/ an added new storyline. There needs to be a new threat, a vicious one, one that is as raw as can be. This new threat should be able to put down these past disney villians to shame and make us go, "Oh S&*t," that's what we need. The new act/s should be creepier, more disturbing, and more violent and ofcourse alot bigger and more diverse. This can all be done with a sadistic villian that puts fear into sanctuary somehow.

...But ofcourse, this won't happen.
Reply Quote
I don't think Blizzard is interested in promoting Diablo as a horror game any longer. Unfortunately in their zeal to lighten it up, it's become more like Scary Movie and less like Saw.
Reply Quote
I am appalled at the horrible bosses in this game. Maghda was a joke. The bosses telling you their plans really pissed me off, it made the game to... foretellable. There was no longer the mystery of what would happen like in Diablo 1 / (sort of) 2. When the butcher said "Vegetables bad, meat good", I could no longer take this game seriously, especially as a "war against Hell".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]