Diablo® III

What Really Makes D3's Atmosphere Less Dark?

you kids get off my lawn!!
Reply Quote
Please GOD get rid of Covetous Shen. He really kills any kind of atmosphere.
Reply Quote
Great post man, I agree with EVERYTHING you said. And you write really well too.

It's completely the storytelling and the characters.

I look around and think this atmostphere is actaully pretty dark as I look at dead bodies around me.

Then the butterfly queen shows up...

This made me laugh lol

But I think Magdha is kind of cool sometimes, but I hate when she EXPLAINS to me what she's going to do next. What a strategy...

And to me, Kulle and Cydaea are the only villains that are kind of scary in their own way, I guess because of the voice and the good writing.
Edited by bearr#2157 on 12/31/2012 6:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
The comically incompetent evil bosses are sure high on the list.
Reply Quote
Great post man, I agree with EVERYTHING you said. And you write really well too.

It's completely the storytelling and the characters.

I look around and think this atmostphere is actaully pretty dark as I look at dead bodies around me.

Then the butterfly queen shows up...

This made me laugh lol

But I think Magdha is kind of cool sometimes, but I hate when she EXPLAINS to me what she's going to do next. What a strategy...

if you think magda was bad, wait till you meet azmodan, but yea it's been debated a few billion times by now, even featured in a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcJ_XT3oWtY
Reply Quote
HAI NEPHALEM!~! AZMODAN HERE WITH YOUR DAILY NEWS BULLETIN.

Today, I see you killed all of the demons on the bridge of korsikk. You may think this phases me, but you're just a big smelly willy and I am not at all impacted by this one way or another. On top of that, even when you find me sitting on my lava toilet and kill me in 5 seconds, I STILL won't be bothered by you, you little heathen you.

Good luck in your journeys!

~Azmo. (or Big Az, my self-declared nickname)
Reply Quote
For me the biggest are:

1. Soundtrack. Its not terrible, but its not creepy or memorable in any way. Its just...there. Also miss Matt Uelman.

2. Bosses. Bosses aren't intimidating or scary. They are cartoony.

3. Art style. Compare the art style to original Diablo. Original Diablo was dark, gritty. You felt like you WERE an adventurer exploring a tomb. It was chilling playing that game for the first time and amazing because of it.

In sum, D3 lacks INTENSITY. Its very casual, very accessible. I hope they make the x-pack much more gritty. Let D3 vanilla introduce the casuals, whatever. Please give us some meat next go-around though. Grit is the soul of Diablo. Without it its just an aRPG. Fun still, but missing something.
Reply Quote
@OP Thank you for a fair and clear criticism of the game, I agree with basically all of this (though I think the SCII Soundtrack is better than the SCI one).
Reply Quote
That´s pretty much about it. I´d have to say that the visual don´t in that matter either. I like them, I just don´t diablolike them. I think the highlights here would be the music, the constantly telling their plans villans and the TMI as you mentioned.
Reply Quote
I agree with OP, Isn't scary at all or dark. they do need fix this... but only cause Blizznorth not with them. why all childish and crap different team taking over....
Edited by DragonsBlood#1589 on 12/31/2012 8:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
I agree with OP, sometimes i play a little d2 in windowed mode just to get that "alone" feeling.

then i swith back to d3 and im like WOW the fluidity and mechanics of the game r sooo much better but it feels less dark and scary....

that scary/alone feeling d2 gave me often inspired me to play with my friends and brother !!
Good times........:)
Reply Quote
+1 good post OP.

The halls of agony is really the only place that is rated R. More streaks of blood on the ground would probably help in other areas.

Music from D1 should be copied and pasted into parts of this game. Particularly the caves and hell music.

More nudity would help too. You can barely notice that the succubi are topless. They should probably move slower like the ones in D1. Cydea is not lusty at all, basically just another spider queen. Her area should freak you out, like the lust seen from the movie Se7en. Pubic hair and the F word would help.
Reply Quote
1) Infinite Light Radius (or lack of Light Radius as a mechanic)

2) Lighter, more cartoony graphics / loss of gothic motif

3) Soundtrack / Ambience

4) PG-13: Lack of pentagrams, upside down crosses, blood, etc... very 'real world' magical mystical fears. Replaced with a suspension-of-disbelief environment with moon physics and etc.

What I was trying to say about light radius
Reply Quote
12/31/2012 06:21 AMPosted by bearr
And to me, Kulle and Cydaea are the only villains that are kind of scary in their own way, I guess because of the voice and the good writing.

Kulle is the best villain because he is the most fleshed out (though is a bit annoying popping up all the time). Cydaea is just like Sheablo and Azmodan, always nattering and blubbering on how you will fail or how she will kill you.

if you think magda was bad, wait till you meet azmodan, but yea it's been debated a few billion times by now, even featured in a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcJ_XT3oWtY

Lol at the movie, essentially the game is just horribly done when it comes to the dialogue. The story itself could have been 10 times better if Blizzard hired competent people.
Reply Quote
60 Gnome Mage
Leah is hot.
Reply Quote
View profile

Look if you got scared of the previous Diablos then you better not watch any real horror movies or they will give you a heart attack.

What Duriel hard to beat. He was easy as cake, just wolf down a few thawing potions and give some to your merc. Keep a TP open so you can go back to town to heal up and get more thawing potions as needed. Just like Andariel was cake using the antidote potions like the thawing potions. Also using poison length reduction that you could easy gamble for on the gloves and the boots to get at least 50% was easy and it kept you alive.

sure that applies after you've played it a few hundred times or even a dozen, i dont' remember my first playthrough to be so guided. upon meeting duriel the first time it's more of an oh !@#$ rather then open a TP and get rdy to wormhole it back and forth -_-', same goes for andariel.

While true it still does not take that long to figure out a good workable strategy to beat both. That is what I am getting at. They are paper tigers to beat as far as I am concerned.

Do you think that everyone easily defeated the bosses in this game. They had no oh crap moments where they just lost the first few fights until they learned how to handle the mechanics of the fight.
Reply Quote
12/30/2012 03:50 PMPosted by Scharnvirk
All he does is follow you and when in range, attack which will most likely cause a stunlock, which in turn will cause death.

But he runs at the same speed you do. Just walk around a stairwell and it's over.
Reply Quote
I've been thinking about this for a while, so here are my two cents.

The game looks good, it does, there is no denying it. No, it isn't the same atmosphere as d2, but then, the locations and story isn't the same. In d2 we were transported to the world of sanctuary as it was after years of demonic influence had taken it's toll.

Think about the locations directly.

Rogues Encampment - a Europesque place where it's always overcast and dim. Filled with a ragtag group of people who have stayed together out of sheer terror and need for safety. One of the first things we encounter in act one is a town that has been BUTCHERED and burned to the ground.

Lut Gholien - Not very much in this place, typical desert city, but with a crazy maze of skeleton infested sewers. Some cool characters like Geglash, who had some wicked dialogue. It's a pretty cheery place. But the truth is, even act two, in the glaring desert sun is played mostly in darkness. Remember that quest that blocked out the sun? Pitch black, it's one of the darkest acts in the game. Not being able to see your enemies until they're 5 feet from your face? Creepy.

Kurast - Dark jungles filled with unimaginable horrors, need I say more?

Pandemonium Fortress - Seriously, we get to camp literally at the last gate from the mortal realm and hell? Awesome. Plus, the contrast between the "mortal fortress" and the hellish environment only a staircase away makes it seem like it could fall at any time.

Harrogath - By far the brightest act, and one of my favorite. Still kept grim by the constant sights of war and destruction. Fighting along random barbarians as they try to protect their homes from demons 5 times there size, and watch them WIN. Awesome.

D3 by comparison has known peace for many years, demons are now long forgotten stories told to scare children in the night. The environments reflect this.

New Tristam - A well established town, hasn't experienced any of horrors of war or demon invasion, other than a few small localized instances (zombies at the gate, a couple people turning into zombies etc.) But no one in the town seems to know what's going on. To them it's still a bit unreal. The whole town is in shock rather than the weathered depression from the people in D2

There are very few scenes in act one where we see the regular citizen truly have to come to terms by the changes around them, and when we do find we, we come as hero's and save them from their woes! Look at us, good little Samaritans. Sorry, was there something else we were supposed to be doing? I've forgotten...

Act two is much the same, no one other the "heroes" and the people who follow us around seem to know that their world is ending. Also, what's this nephalem crap? Since when did we become demi-gods? You mean to say that regular ol' mortal men and women can't stop the Greatest Evil of ALL TIME? Well... fine, I guess that makes a little sense...

Act three becomes much more involving, as we see a war going on right in front of our eyes, with soldiers getting killed left and right. And when we save one, what happens? They get crushed, or eaten, or blown into a million pieces. When we're used to everyone being all good and fine from the first two acts, this comes as a huge shock. At first it's a good shock, but as time wears on, I just want to save them poor soldiers, and put the demons back in their place! This never happens. Which gives us the grim reality of our situation. Finally.

But Asmodan, what the hell you doing bro? Why are you using your magic to tell us we're silly stupid mortals instead of raining hellfire down on our heads?!?!? If I'm a lord of hell, I don't tell someone they're stupid when they destroy my super-huge siege engines. I get revenge on a level unimaginable to mortal minds. Then again, as the lord of sin, I guess you don't have much experience with war...

Act 4 is by far one of the visually coolest acts. Fighting in heaven, with stuff collapsing all around you, it's pretty cool. But there's no urgency to it. Yes, stuff is collapsing, angels are dying, and we're fighting our way to reach Diablo. But we're teleporting all over the place, apparently traversing levels (it's impossible to tell), and then suddenly we're at the top... All of act four should been this mad dash to catch Diablo before he screws stuff up. But for some reason, it doesn't seem that way. Why are we wasting time trying to "find" the way to the top? Can't we just grab a passing angel and say, "Yo, bro, which way to the Pinnacle of Heaven?!" Even so, be the time we get closer to the top, we begin to see more and more ares of corruption, I just wished it stayed consistent

In all, Diablo 3 is visually stunning, but the graphics and environment are trying to fit a different time from that of Diablo 2. The styles simply aren't comparable. It's like trying say that 3 years into World War One should look that same as the first two months of World War Two. Things have changed, it's not going to look the same. Sure, some of their choices don't may have been lacking some forethought, but then again, there were things in d2 that didn't make sense either.

TL;DR: The game is less "dark" than D2 because the time period of D3 is less "dark."
Reply Quote
less dark?.. yes d3 is less dark.

how?

as mentioned already.. infinite light radius.. you are venturing into the core of hell and you can see all the way to the end of your screen and as you more forward you can still see to the end of your screen.!!! this is ridiculous.

It should be changed to be like Warcraft I, II, III where they had FOG OF WAR... D1 had that...

The 2nd major point for me..
swarms of enemies.. right from the getgo of d1.. as you go down the staircase to hunt for Leoric or the Butcher.. you started getting swarmed.. and you knew if you ventured too far into the dungeons u would get swarmed.
This only happens in act 4 and sometimes in act 2 in d3.

Coupled with the "fog of war" or a short light radius.. you will feel more like you are fighting blind into an army of death.

[ r ]
Reply Quote
12/30/2012 12:54 PMPosted by TheRaven
The general consensus is, and I agree, that D3's atmosphere is not as dark as D2, which in turn was a little less dark than D1;

D1 was dark. Very dark and wonderful atmosphere. D2s atmospher was less, defiently MUCH less dark then D1, D2 was almost completly striped of D1 atmospher. D3 is similar to D2, but imho a little better... . I find D2 as the worse when it comes to that topic...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]