Diablo® III

Reducing Friend Invitation Spam

Community Manager
We've recently seen a number of posts from players regarding friend invitation spam and how it's been affecting your online experience. We agree that it's an issue and have not only been looking at ways to improve the Friend Invitation system, but also how to handle all the existing spam.

To that end, going forward any outgoing friend requests from players who are reported for spamming invitations will be proactively deleted. While players may still receive some friend invitation spam here and there, this change should result in an overall decrease in the number of fraudulent friend requests that reach your Social Window. If you happen to receive a friend invitation that's spam, please continue to use the "Report Spam" option as normal so that our support staff can review the complaint.
Reply Quote
Thanks, that's great to hear!
Reply Quote
Well i might be missing something but what is to stop someone from reporting someone cause they just want to and not necessarily spamming?Is there a way to tell the difference?
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 09:59 AMPosted by Lylirra
any outgoing friend requests from players who are reported for spamming invitations will be proactively deleted.

I'm guessing it'll be more than one report though, correct? Hopefully more than a handful? This can very easily be abused if it's not, :/.
Reply Quote
Excellent!

Btw, love the new forum avatar!
Reply Quote
ya so what if someone gets upset with someone and tells his buddies to report the persons name in chat. i can see alot of people gettign chars deleted adn i know blizz deosnt roll back chars unless it benefits em so whats to stop people from just being spiteful. looks like a huge headache to me.
Reply Quote
You mean you dont do something like this already?????
Reply Quote
We've recently seen a number of posts from players regarding friend invitation spam and how it's been affecting your online experience.

Welcome to June 2012.....better late than never I suppose.
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 10:05 AMPosted by Sixen
any outgoing friend requests from players who are reported for spamming invitations will be proactively deleted.

I'm guessing it'll be more than one report though, correct? Hopefully more than a handful? This can very easily be abused if it's not, :/.

Hey you're alive!!

Meh let's just take the aggressive side lol; if people screw around it sounds like it'll just remove current friend requests, but you could just re-send. And if someone is abusing you then you can easily report them :)
Reply Quote
Well i might be missing something but what is to stop someone from reporting someone cause they just want to and not necessarily spamming?Is there a way to tell the difference?

huh?
Do you mean what the point is for reporting someone's spam just because they want to report that person for spamming?
Or, do you mean what the point is for reporting someone's spam just because they want to spam the report?

The first one is obvious, if the person is sending you more than one request before your response, that's "spam" and reporting spam regardless of them wanting to "spam" you. After all, they are doing spams.

I don't think the latter would cause any problem. The point of this is to try to stop any more incoming ads from friend requests.
Reply Quote
Right now when you report a player for spamming, you still have to manually block them. If you do not block them you will keep receiving spam from them. Many players may not be aware of that and I can see no reason why somebody who reports a spammer would still want to risk receiving more spam from that player.

SOLUTION:
Adding a checkbox labeled "block this player" in the report spam dialogue box would be a great resolution.
Edited by Bagnaria#1193 on 1/15/2013 10:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 10:06 AMPosted by xDEATHSHANDx
ya so what if someone gets upset with someone and tells his buddies to report the persons name in chat. i can see alot of people gettign chars deleted adn i know blizz deosnt roll back chars unless it benefits em so whats to stop people from just being spiteful. looks like a huge headache to me.

I don't think it'll work unless that certain someone would spam you a lot of friend requests first.
Don't be tripping.
Reply Quote
I read it wrong at first too.. I thought you meant you'd delete the account proactively if reported for spam. On re-read, looks like you'll delete the INVITES still out there for that account. That makes sense. Good change!
Reply Quote
Community Manager

I'm super hesitant to provide that information (given that those details could be used to abuse the system), but suffice it to say that there are checks and balances in place. Simply reporting another player for Friend Invitation spam does not mean that all their invitations will suddenly disappear.

Like I said:

01/15/2013 09:59 AMPosted by Lylirra
If you happen to receive a friend invitation that's spam, please continue to use the "Report Spam" option as normal so that our support staff can review the complaint.
Reply Quote
Whatever happened to the appear offline mode?
Reply Quote
I am very relieved to see that some actions are being taken to mitigate the inflow of "Friend" requests from anonymous spammers, but I still have a concern regarding in-game messaging from spammers; namely, a spammer with the name <<removed>>.

I have been contacted several times while playing by myself in Act II from this individual. They are able to "whisper" to me a message that always asks for gold. I have been solicited for sums ranging from 100,000 to 3,000,000 and, moreover, if I respond back with a "no" answer, then I am told that I owe it to them as debt.

How does this happen when they do not even have an active player profile? How are they getting into the game and contacting me?
Edited by Lylirra on 1/15/2013 10:28 AM PST
Reply Quote

01/15/2013 10:08 AMPosted by Onetwo
Hey you're alive!!

No kidding, how was your vacation from D3 Sixen?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]