Diablo® III

The Importance of Amethyst and EHP in PvP

To The Diablo 3 Community

As many of you have heard, The new PvP system has been implemented into the PTR (Public Test Realm) This has brought upon many new challenges, Build ideas and an entirely new Diablo 3 play experiance.

This has been a warm welcome to the Diablo 3 way of life and at this time people are starting to relize the importance of EHP (Effective Health Points) and DPS.

To have a well rounded PvP capable hero you must find that balance between both EHP and DPS.

Not only with the new tier of gems will getting higher EHP more convient but it will also be more cost effective. The Amethyst at this time are one of the cheapest gems that you can buy on the auction house. This means that the best time to work on your EHP is now before PVP goes public.

Not only are gems an important way to boost your EHP, It is also a good thing to mention that sheilds and block chance overall are a great boost to EHP.

So if you are playing on the PTR or have been reading/watching information regarding the current PvP situation, You have probably already heard that there is alot of 1-2 shot duels going on right now. The reason behind this is based upon a few factors, 1) Lack of EHP
2) Lack of % dmg pvp mitagation 3) Lack of experiance on builds and item factors based upon the brand new PvP system.

So my advice to all of you is, Build upon your heros with EHP in mind. Practice new builds vs differant heros and please don't hesitate to leave a comment below.

Regards,
Dan
Reply Quote
EHP means nothing.

If I had 100,000 health and 90% damage reduction, I would have 9,000,000 EHP... but that doesn't mean I actually have 9 million HP. That does not mean I would be required to take 9 million damage before I die.

A 1 million damage critical would hit me for 100,000 and still one shot me. 1 million damage crits are very common.
Reply Quote
EHP means nothing.

If I had 100,000 health and 90% damage reduction, I would have 9,000,000 EHP... but that doesn't mean I actually have 9 million HP. That does not mean I would be required to take 9 million damage before I die.

A 1 million damage critical would hit me for 100,000 and still one shot me. 1 million damage crits are very common.

1 Million damage crits may be common to an elite player but you have to factor in dodge, block and future % PvP Damage Mitagation.

A Blizzard Rep has already stated that they are looking into % Damage Reduction for PvP, So with that in mind you can count on it being tested on the PTR very soon.

You also have to factor in the average player does not crit for 1 million damage. In all honesty the average player would be critting for 200 - 300k.

Top that all off with some PvP Dmg reduction, Awesome balance of EHP and you have yourselves some very balanced well rounded dueling.
Reply Quote
EHP blows anyways, keep the fight short, its him or me!
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 02:37 PMPosted by Tango

I myself enjoy a good 2-3 minute duel, You are the edge of your seat and every tick off there health globe counts. Player skill starts to take effect, You are both on the verge of death and you make that last CHARGE and claim your victory!
Reply Quote
I would like to share a PvP mini game that I have dreamed up

The objective of this game is to kill your opponent, The catch is as follows. All combatants must gear there subject with no more than 1 million gold.

It is first to 5 style combat, First person to rack of 5 kills wins.

It is in GM (Good Mannered) All rules will be stated before the fight starts. Some possible rules may be as follows.
1) No potting
2) You can't use this skill and I can't use this skill
3) Whichever you can dream up :)
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 02:41 PMPosted by Dragon

I myself enjoy a good 2-3 minute duel, You are the edge of your seat and every tick off there health globe counts. Player skill starts to take effect, You are both on the verge of death and you make that last CHARGE and claim your victory!
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 06:00 PMPosted by Lylirra
why not give a damage reduction for pvp. at least give every class the 30%

Like I said, we're not opposed to making changes, even ones along the lines of a universal damage debuff while in the dueling zone. The point of the PTR is to get feedback from players so we can make those kinds of tuning adjustments if necessary.

We've only got a few hours of feedback at the moment, though, and we'd like to get a better picture of what players' general experience has been before we start talking about possible changes. For example, I'm betting that a lot of players are still dueling in their farming builds, rather than something that's been refined and tailored for PvP-style combat -- which can make a difference. We also want to make sure that the people who are providing feedback understand what dueling is supposed to be (i.e. not a place you go to for super balanced battles).
Reply Quote
pvp-blue gear only

would be more fun 8)
Reply Quote
pvp-blue gear only

would be more fun 8)

Or white gear :)
Reply Quote

See, like other players, you assume that since I run a high damage glass cannon play style that I lack strategy and charge like a bull, but in reality two thing are really going on here.
1. EHP is broken in PVP, extremely high dps beats all, therefore I have taken this into account and I feel the most efficiant way of winning is focusing heavily on boosting my damage output to its highest potential.
2. I play the best when I know I can die to one or two shots, getting hit once is to much
Reply Quote
EHP means nothing.

Your maths is wrong ...

100,000 health and 90% mitigation = 100,000 / (1 - 0.9) = 1,000,000
Reply Quote

Lets see you last 2 mins to my rend that hits for 11k a tick. Oh, all you do is run away and hide, thought so.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 03:58 PMPosted by Deathslap
Lets see you last 2 mins to my rend that hits for 11k a tick. Oh, all you do is run away and hide, thought so

Or I cast horrify which puts my armor at 8600. I have 120k life and 3000 Life per second. You will die, as so many others have already.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 03:58 PMPosted by Deathslap

Lets see you last 2 mins to my rend that hits for 11k a tick. Oh, all you do is run away and hide, thought so.

And must you be close for this rend to be effective?

01/16/2013 04:00 PMPosted by DarthSki44
Lets see you last 2 mins to my rend that hits for 11k a tick. Oh, all you do is run away and hide, thought so

Or I cast horrify which puts my armor at 8600. I have 120k life and 3000 Life per second. You will die, as so many others have already.

Does this "Horrify" you speak of last forever?
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 04:00 PMPosted by DarthSki44

See there is a good example of EHP, Not only is a large health pool important! But you must find a way to replenish that health pool as well. Life regeneration will become one of the most sought after stats PvP has ever known!
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 04:05 PMPosted by Tango

It last 8 seconds and cooldown is 13.

Edit: and I can spirt walk if I need to for another 3 seconds.
Edited by DarthSki44#1684 on 1/16/2013 4:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
I myself enjoy a good 2-3 minute duel

Agreed.

What if every player entered PVP with an extra 100% health buff.

so we all had 200-300k health? that kind of methodology anyway

just to extend the battles etc.
Reply Quote

It last 8 seconds and cooldown is 13.

Edit: and I can spirt walk if I need to for another 3 seconds.

This sounds like a very effective combo, is it not?
Edited by Tango#1860 on 1/16/2013 4:27 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]