Diablo® III

What is EHP?

8 Worgen Hunter
Never heard this term does that just mean high HP and tankyness?
Reply Quote
effective HP

So say you have 1,000hp, but you have enough armour to absorb 50% taken, your EHP would be 1,500. Or something like that. Not exactly sure about the math, but ya, its how much damage you can actually take when you combine HP and armour and all that jazz.
Reply Quote
EHP means Effective Health Pool or Effective Hit Points and are used to describe how much damage can I take before dying. This stat is not visible in game but can be calculated from actual hit points and damage reduction stats coming from armor, resists, skill, items and being melee class (30% damage reduction). Dodge also increase EHP but it’s a stat based you can’t rely on (especially on hardcore) so I wouldn’t count it in.
(source: http://d3facts.com/ehp-what-it-is-and-why-its-important)

I will give you an example. Let's say you have 10k hp. You are hit by an enemy for 11k physical damage. That means you die right? No, cause if you implement damage reduction from your armor which is for example 50%, then the total damage you are inflicted is 5.5k. That means you live. EHP is calculated from you HP as a primary factor, and then from all your resistances, block chance, armor damage reductions. You can even calculate dodge as EHP as it gives you an x percent to evade an attack and not be hit.
Reply Quote
why isnt block or regen or dodge or all the other reductions a factor?

Builds and efficiency and skill of player.

The stat is ok, kinda like a qb rating, but I wish you people would get the definition standardized.

Of course they are a factor.
Let me put it that way. Every single stat that helps in extending your survivability is calculated in your EHP.
EHP is a long and complicated term and it plays with a lot of numbers.
Reply Quote
EHP is basiaclly saying that your armor has some sort of invisible HP pool and a portion of damage receive will be deducted from this pool instead, effectively increasing your actual hp, but not actually increasing your visible HP.

Yeah confusing I know.
Reply Quote
My Barb eats a healthy portion of CheEHPrios in the morning to grow big and strong!
Edited by Iria#1342 on 1/18/2013 12:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 02:09 AMPosted by Picard
thats a term barbs like to use to pretend that they can win PvP against DHs and other ranged. But they cant.

LOL, good luck with trying to kill a Barb with 10M EHP xD.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 02:11 AMPosted by shndany
thats a term barbs like to use to pretend that they can win PvP against DHs and other ranged. But they cant.

LOL, good luck with trying to kill a Barb with 10M EHP xD.

It is possible to kill a Barb with high EHP; however, the DH needs enough DPS. With too low DPS they won't put a dent into the serious armor of a tank Barb. Also, with enough life regen on top of that mitigation, the DH really has his/her work cut out for them!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I actually wrote up a blog last month entitled Community Commentary: The Diablo III [Urban] Dictionary that you might find useful. It links to The Diablo III [Urban] Dictionary forum thread over on DiabloFans. Jaetch's comprehensive thread covers a wide range of popular terms and lingo used by Diablo III players in-game, on the forums, and elsewhere online.

Here's his entry for EHP:

"EHP: short for "effective hit points" or "effective health pool." This usually is tied hand-in-hand with topics regarding a character's overall defensive capabilities."
Reply Quote
if thats the case shouldn't it be something we can see as a raw number in our details?
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 01:00 PMPosted by Vaizard
if thats the case shouldn't it be something we can see as a raw number in our details?

I think some things are left for the player-base to define. Not joking.
Reply Quote
View profile
its what prevents you from getting one shot in pvp
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 01:00 PMPosted by Vaizard

Well there are many contributing factors to EHP and there are many different forms of EHP:

Melee EHP (how much melee damage it takes to kill you)
Ranged EHP (how much ranged damage it takes to kill you)
Arcane Ranged EHP (how much arcane damage from ranged attacks it takes to kill you)
Elite EHP (how much elite non-specific damage it takes to kill you)
Elite Fire Melee EHP (how much fire-elemental melee damage from an elite it takes to kill you)
____ EHP w/ Block (how much ____ damage it takes to kill you factoring in your block)
____ EHP w/ Dodge and Block (how much ____ damage it takes to kill you with both dodge and block)
etc.

Thus, it would be crazy difficult to list every possible combination!
Reply Quote
"effective hit points", yes
"effective health pool", no

overdefinition only lowers SNR
stop doing it
Reply Quote
View profile
EHP = HP / (1 - armor mitigation/100) * (1 - resistance mitigation/100) * (1 - other mitigation/100)

Examples of "other mitigation" are barbs' and monk's free 4th passive skill or WD's jungle fortitude.

That's the formula for reliable EHP meaning not counting dodge, block, reduced damage from ranged elites or whatever else.
Reply Quote
combo of all health, life steal, loh, etc etc. Mathematical max health. GOOOOOGLE it jesuse.

01/17/2013 10:53 PMPosted by Xdiablo
Never heard this term does that just mean high HP and tankyness?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]