Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

True.
Reply Quote
I feel really bad for jay wilson.....its hard to create art with the 8 pack of crayons.
Reply Quote
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

i'm sorry you feel this way. jay brought this treatment on himself. you not being able to see that kinda disappoints me . this makes me fear his failures could get repeated.

forget the failures of this game min, and just look at how jay reacted to the fans. when people brought up issues with the direction of the game he belittled the fan base an made jokes. anytime people had any kinda concerns he talked down to them saying how much smarter or better he was. he makes t shirts and a hidden are all making fun of the fears fans expressed. he kept spitting in there faces every step. telling your customers they just don't remember the game right. telling customers they don't know what fun is. i'm sorry but what other company allows there workers to disrespect there customers like this.

the fans still waited an trusted in blizzard. we waited an made the launch of this game the biggest pc release ever. only to find the fears and concern that was brought up proved to be right. the game turned out to be a total failure. at this point the rage started. this man sat around telling us how much we didn't know for years then it showed he was the one wrong on all the issues. this game failed because of his ego. he failed to listen to the customers, he failed to understand what made diablo2 great. jay treated the customers poorly yet when he gets treated the same way people can't understand why? i'm sorry sir i been a huge fan of blizzard but jay crapped on the fans with his attitude then crapped on them again when this game turned out so bad.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Rob Pardo
He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys.

But you are just flat our wrong.

You think Diablo III's boss battles are something to praise publically as an example of Jay's design instincts?

Making it fun to smash bad guys? Got to the same Act ad naseum and grind out the same path? THAT is a great instinct for design?

Also - where have you been? Your buddy's feelings are hurt and you decide to post NOW?

Why didn't you come on here before Christmas and inform us of PVP? Why stay silent on battleground failures until oh .. a couple weeks ago? Why not answer the calls from the forums for reduced SPAM, dyes for legendaries, itemization changes, on and on and on? You decide THIS is the time for you to jump in?
Reply Quote
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Thanks for taking the time to post. Obviously everything isn't "ok" when the game director moves off the project and the CCO takes the time to make a post like this. I guess my only question would be why deviate from some of the systems that made Diablo 2 so enjoyable to play for 10 years? I'm not going to name them as they have been brought up countless times in numerous threads. Diablo 3 is a fun game but it fell short of a lot peoples expectations, people expected better and I don't think it's unrealistic to say that when the team had Diablo 2 to use as a template.
Reply Quote
Burn in hell Jay Wilson

That's real low and immature. Phrases like this or ones with other stong words such as hate should be reserved only for those how do physical harm to you or family. Is Diablo 3 the best game ever.....no....It had too much to live up to. Don't like it than don't play. Star Wars where good movies in the 70's and 80's then years went by and 3 real crappy movies were made do I watch them... nope. People on these forums need to get over themselves.

If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project

Hope you are ready for the backlash from this statement with this community. (I think a cool profile manditory usage of forums should be enter birth year {I suppose people could lie} this way the rest of the normal people can see where this immaturity lyes 12-24 year olds?? that expect things handed to them?)

Having said all that I don't blame you alls vision of the Diablo 3 game and it's outcome. I feel like the game mechanics were hit spot on with my expectations. Having played Diablo 1 and 2 from launch it feels smooth and polished (minus the inital lag???) I guess I griped some about items at launch, at looking at sets and legendaries I thought really that's it? Drop rates I guess are fine as far as those drop but I think what gets people t'ed off is the quality of the insane amounts of yellows. Perhaps if we didn't have to filter though pages of id'ing yellows, the terrible ring rolls wouldn't be that much of an issue.? (maybe lowering the amount of yellows that drop would help {get rid of automatic 5nv stack drop perhaps}. If at the end of a play session one id's 200 crap yelllows and thinks yep ring is ring it might be less harsh if you only had to sift through 50-70?? Definitly still room for item improvements on legendaries and sets, please add lots more (LOTS more) Perhaps reinstitute rune words (this might quell the skill tree crowd some) Speaking of skills, build diversity shouldn't mean build punishment when needing to switch skills with NV Stacks (this would also quite some) Lastly the AH's , I have never used both just to put that out there but; Trading in diablo is important and I see arguement for and against, I lean for the against crowd mainly cause I don't have 87,873 quadrilion in gold lying around. Sit down and think long and hard about getting rid of at least the RMAH, let people who feel like they need to pay to win take a chance on 3rd party sites, if they get burned to bad for them, they should just play the game. I for one liked the exicitement of making a game in D2- LO for Ber or Pcomb 4 HR etc, the thrill of finally getting that trade was great (even if the HR was a dupe, it was exciting). I know that gets just as out of hand with people saying "no that's worth 10HR's ect." (for those non D2 players high runes dropped about as much as good loot in Diablo 3 maybe less) but it is absolutly no differnt that someone asking 25million gold for a radiant star gem design or 150million for what ever item.

I look forward to diablo living up to my expectations and I'll continue to play it as I have since launch.
Edited by TimAGriffith#1823 on 1/18/2013 7:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 05:38 PMPosted by xxBarabbasxx
e

How about everyone grows up and acts their age? How about people behave and act like civil human beings... Everyone should realize it was NOT Jay Wilson alone who disappointed you... It takes a team to build a project such as D3. Yet you all consistently and constantly attacked 1 man. Like a pack of dogs biting at the hand that them. If anyone has spoken ill of Jay and has attacked him personally, you should be ashamed of yourself... This is the worst gaming community I have encountered in my entire life...

You and the others who keep spitting this have no clue what you're talking about. The game director DECIDED where the game went. He was in full control and made all the FINAL decisions. Not every idea was his, but he was the person who let the game go where it went. He wanted inferno hard and "doubled it". Those were all his final decisions. Thats why the game sucks and thats why he should be getting bashed.
Reply Quote
project rmah, pay2win FAILED !

and next time..... ban the botters earlier
Edited by GlumpArt#2788 on 1/18/2013 6:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
Jay was hired to head the D3 team, from Jay's past, he had no experience in working with arpg's (unless the games he's been tied to we're all lies)

The diablo franchise for what it's worth is one of those franchises that you expect greatness from, so the person to lead the team should have been one that not only new diablo inside and out, but one that had experience in developing long lasting arpg's.

When you slap the diablo name on a product, you better be sure it follows the series and holds the same standards to its predecessors if you expect long lasting success and a good reputation. If you owned a store that did really well and had a few hot sellers that were staples of your store; you then decided to tear down your store and build a more modern version of it. Does it not make sense to add back in the hot selling items that made your store a hit? Or do you leave the store half empty with stuff that people don't even want then wonder why your losing business?

What happens if the local 7-11 in your neighborhood that you frequented for your junk food suddenly got rid of all it's stuff and started selling carpets.. Do you continue to go? If your local liquor store stopped selling booze and filled it with easy bake ovens.. Do you continue to shop there?...

Rob.. While I do respect the fact your sticking up for jay (as you hired him, I'd do the same for employees I hired) you have a much larger problem on your hands. The game is extremely broken and negligent of the Diablo franchise, and there are a vast majority that are unhappy. There have been numbers thrown around of the player base dropping over 90%. More botters than players, and people so ticked off they swear they'll never buy a blizzard product again. I just hope whoever you appoint intends on flipping this game upside down, redoing all the mechanics, and getting rid of the god awful RMAH. My suggestion, if you have an employee there who worked on D2, appoint them, they understand. Not doing so my kill off any and all of blizzards future profits.
Reply Quote
Makes me want to watch Cast Away.
Reply Quote

You aren't the only Blizz dude I've read say that Jay Wilson is a cool guy/good designer. So, if the game's flaws shouldn't be blamed on Jay, who should they be blamed on?

(Please say Bobby Kotick)
Reply Quote
If you don't like the game quit and stop crying about it nothing will ever be perfectly suited for you if you want d2 all over again then go play diablo 2. Stop bringing down the great people at blizzard if you think you could do a better job then go get hired and design your own game.
Jay wish you to best of luck on your project in blizzard don't let these trolls and childish adults get to ya.
Edited by FaluThane#1314 on 1/18/2013 5:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Good Luck Jay, We hope to hear again from you soon in your new position.
Reply Quote
OK Rob prado...
so, can you answer this topic?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593581822

i think not, because no blues can answer that.
no noes...
thanks.
Reply Quote
If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me.

Is that why you been hiding from the forums for the last 8 months?
Reply Quote
i have faith in BLizzard they come through for us and make this game great.
Reply Quote

I just hope Jay knows that the majority of ppl love D3 and what he has done with it.

don't listen tot he whiners guys. you guys rock!!!
Reply Quote
Good luck Jay!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]