Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

At first, I'll admit, I was a little disappointed. No runes, no gems, no druid, no Paladin!

But then, you know what? I actually played the game. Still had my Barbarians anyway :D
So as I've played through this game (not just farming for wealth or trying to get the BiS items) I noticed that Diablo III is an increadibly deep and well made game.
I've now read multiple topics accusing the game of being less dark or Disney like. All I can say to these people is you probably need to work on your attention span or possibly your reading comprehension levels.
Play the game people! "Stay awhile and listen" to what the various npc have to say. You'll notice that we have been given a game that was intended to be a base for many expansions and added content possibilities.

Thanks for your part in the game, Jay. Good luck with the move.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Blah, blah, blah .....all the haters. It's never good enough unless it's is exactly what you want it to be. You place the blame on one person, when you fail to realize that it was and entire team that made this game. Yes I have my points that I was disappointed about such as no offline mode and the RMAH, but all in all as with any game there needed to be and will continue to be tweaks made to fine tune it.

So if it isn't good enough then, go start your own company, hire your own team and make your own game. IF you don't like it to the point you don't play it, no longer own it ect..... just do everyone else a favor and just leave the D3 community and move on to something else.

Thank you and good luck Jay.
Edited by DemiCage#1386 on 1/19/2013 9:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
This is going to go unnoticed but what the hell...

This back and forth of blame shifting, wether it be the guys behind the game, the people who play it or those that think they know it better (never actually having worked in their life and certainly 99% never having actually worked in the industry) is just plain sad.

You are not entitled to anything. You are entitled to play the game. You can moan and groan if you do not like it but in all seriousness - thats pretty much the entitlement you get.

Going out to personally lash at people you don't even know - I mean seriously - how sad is that? If you were to meet the guy at on the street you would not even have the courage to say anything - you would turn into best buddy mode - tell your friends you met the guy who did Diablo 3 or World of Warcraft or Pong! Here on the internet... everyone is big and bad. No thoughts to consequences, no moral obligation to actually use that organ we call a brain.

Game design, for all the potential and fun it offers is a continues battle with the ultimate question: "IS IT FUN?"... anyone that actually has the ability to answer that question is most likely working in the industry.... others give "their" definition of fun which is actually about as usefull as watching grass grow.

8 Years of someones life in a project. 8 Years of ups and downs, stress and joy, the relief its finished, the tension before launch, the anticipation, aggrevation and then the self blame....

Yea they made money, a whole load of it to be sure, even from the Auction House... yet most complain... if its so bad, why support it? If the game is not fun, why play it? Because if you did not.. there would be no one to blame... no one to take the fault for your life not being what you imagine it to be... its like its everyones fault but your own... thats what the gaming community... not just this forum... but as a whole has developed too... 20 years I have been playing... 5 years in the industry i worked... and to be honest, nowadays i love single player more than multiplayer... and i am certainly happy i no longer work in an industry that has customers that actually have no idea what they are talking about, but are entitled to everything.

Even if this PR move is a gutsy one to give the guy that has been getting so much stick of late a break, its more than most do here... shame that.... and here I still hope being human is what makes us human... and forgiving for a mistake that the guy owned up too is a start of a new chance... but then again, I have been wrong before... and I am most likely wrong here... there is no such thing as being human anymore.
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 08:54 AMPosted by Eerazor
You are not entitled to anything. You are entitled to play the game. You can moan and groan if you do not like it but in all seriousness - thats pretty much the entitlement you get.

actually we are entitled to recieve full product for the money we payed, not beta version.
When you buy a hamburger, do you expect it to have meat inside or do you expect it to be gone? cause for me its pretty important, so just shut up instead of trying to sound smart when you dont even understand the issue
Edited by Dexiefy#2250 on 1/19/2013 9:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Bye and thx for your "good game mechanics" when we cant properly enjoy it with cheat-mode AH and no PVP..
Reply Quote
Best of luck in your new roll Jay! Thank you for all your hard work over the last seven years; in my view, you've created a nostalgic, solid, and fun platform for the DIII Community. Looking forward to playing your new project in a few years, till then - Cheers!
Reply Quote
I don't want to be rude but: FINALLY! Other than that GL with your future career. Judging by what D3 is today I'd say you are better fit to be on the WoW team although I'm a bit afraid that might actually happen...
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman

actually we are entitled to recieve full product for the money we payed, not beta version.
When you buy a hamburger, do you expect it to have meat inside or do you expect it to be gone? cause for me its pretty important, so just shut up instead of trying to sound smart when you dont even understand the issue

You did get a full product..... just because it wasn't what YOU wanted, doesn't make it not a full product. Did you only get a partial CD or something....it only installed 1/2 the game???? Then you got a full product.....stop the crying because it wasn't made to your individual wants.... just like a 5 yr old.... I wan,t I wan,t I want,...whaaaaaa and when you don't get it, you toss a fit, to bad!!

Name a game that has been released that HAS NOT had to make some tweaks or bug fixes after initial release or after each patch that is released?!?! Even all the beta testing in the world, there will still be things that were not found and or reported during those phases. and I am going to guess that about 8 out of 10 people that go to the beta are there just to play and see the game before release rather that "test".... so start the blame there if you want to complain.
Edited by DemiCage#1386 on 1/19/2013 9:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
Fu haters,good job Jay :) and blizzard keep up the good work,cyu in games :)
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 09:10 AMPosted by Rattlecage
You did get a full product..... just because it wasn't what YOU wanted, doesn't make it not a full product. Did you only get a partial CD or something....it only installed 1/2 the game???? Then you got a full product.....stop the crying because it wasn't made to your individual wants.... just like a 5 yr old.... I wan,t I wan,t I want,...whaaaaaa and when you don't get it, you toss a fit, to bad!!

I have to think you're trolling... Full product? What kind of full product doesn't have all the features listed on the box and has "Achievements" that can't be achieved because of coding errors that still aren't fixed 8 months later.

When the first player hits 100% Achievements and everything on the box is in the game, THEN it will be a full product
Reply Quote
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

If you were the main guy behind this game, then it's prolly mostly your fault why this game is so hated by many people.

I mean how is it possible to hype PvP for 3 years, release the game without even simple dueling and then after 10 month release the most basic PvP function? It's beyond me.

Or RMAH? Completely broke the feel of the game itself, everything is greed based, everytime i turn on D3 i want to make money. Just an awful feeling.

It's amazing game with some huge issues which made so many people hate and leave the game.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Hardcore)
View profile
I am not normally the type of person to post in threads of this sort, but after seeing Mr. Pardo's heartfelt post, I felt like I should say my piece.

There are a couple of things about this community that utterly baffle me:

1. The Jay-bashing: I honestly don't believe that there is ANY Diablo 3 game that Blizzard could have released that would have made this community happy. If it had been an exact clone of the D2 treasure tables and loot system with an updated storyline and the modern graphics and combat engine we have, I still think people would have been unhappy with the game and still be bashing Jay. I don't know WHY this is, I guess it just comes with his job description nowadays. :\

2. Diablo games seem to draw out the worst in people (or the worst people, take your pick.) Even going back to D2, the game was heavily characterized by scammers, cheaters, and chat-channel and in-game spamming, far more so than any other game I've played through the years. It really didn't help that the moderators here were very slow to gain the upper hand on the nasty, negative, combative, trollish atmosphere that pervaded these forums the first 3-4 months of the game. I think that set the tone for much of what followed. Mob mentality, if you will. Jay, as the most public human face of Diablo 3, has merely been the prime focus for this incredibly negative outpouring.

(As a side note, I was online the morning the posts first broke in the Blizz General Discussion forum when someone became aware that Jay had made the infamous FB comment, and it is my opinion that this whole conflagration was started by 4 or 5 persons from another forum who came over here rabble-rousing about it under a couple different handles until it took on a life of its own.)

As for Jay's job performance and all, for my part, I have no real opinion in one direction or the other. I don't really know what his job duties entail as a "Game Director", so I'm not really qualified to judge his job performance, but I can say that Diablo 3 is a wonderful game that has given me more than 1,200 hours of absolutely delightful gameplay pleasure over the past 8 months, and indeed, some of the most utterly satisfying and enjoyable gameplay I have had in more than a decade (since my hardcore D2 days!)

Sure, the game had problems at release, but I think Blizz has been very responsive in listening to the community and addressing its concerns (as quickly as a behemoth organization of its type can do) and I think we're headed in a very positive direction with the game.

In a way, I'm kind of sorry to see Jay go at this time, because I get the sense his departure isn't on the high note everyone at Blizz who works with him and thinks so highly of him would like to have seen. I'm sorry the community is being so unrelentingly nasty to this man of whom they really know very little, other than what some rabble-rousing trouble-makers have chosen to highlight as a couple of very human missteps than any one of us could, and do make from time to time.

But most of all, I hope this community is more respectful and courteous to Jay's successor (but I'm certainly not holding my breath!)

Galx
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]