Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

Haven't played this game in months, because it simply isn't fun. Waited a decade and logged thousands of hours into D2. I have never been more disappointed in a game. I have sworn off all future Blizzard titles because of this cash grab. I hope Rob Pardo or whoever is responsible at the top learns from this debacle.

Main things: Don't decide that you know what fun is better than your players do. Don't bait us with promised features and then fail at implementing them. QUIT HOLDING YOUR PLAYERS' HANDS (seriously, people HATE that. Show us respect ffs. Gamers are intelligent on the whole.) Don't disrespect the people who built the legacy that you have tarnished. No more micro-transactions. Release a finished game. Test for game breaking bugs. Don't equate your players to gerbils when you aren't prepared for launch. Listen to your community. Keep your community updated (you've been better about this, but there is still tons of room for improvement).

Hoping this game does a 180 now, but I doubt it'll really get any better, it's too far buried to re-surface.
Reply Quote
no one will remember if a game is late. only if it is great. dont let the door hit you on the way out.
Reply Quote
Now that this game directer has moved in a new direction I have a list of things to make this game amazing. I believe this is the the spot to post this. If I am wrong. please send this to the top man on the totem pole. I played Diablo sense I was able to operate a computer. I am 25 years old and I have poured a lot of time into this game. I apologize if I am too blunt but the Diablo team has stripped Diablo of all it's customization and made it so if "you do not use one of these two skills sets or this specific set of armor you will not go far." Diablo II allowed you to use all of your spells which you put points in. You determined what statistics you put your points in. There are a few things that are great about the game, but the characters in general are very dull and grey when it comes to variety. I know how to change that, and what needs to be done. I would tell you, but I strongly believe I could fill this spot better than anyone. Not many people know Diablo more than me. I have read the books, played the game. The story line is okay.. but you have a HUGE opening and I have been saying it to you all this time. Go back to the start and dig up the beginning plot and revolutionize the game. You have a perfect opening with the treasure goblins to do so. I already know of 2 great expansions to the game. No I do not know how to program the game, but I do know how to form ideas and brain storm with people to evolve this game into something much more fantastic. It took you guys 7 years to make Diablo with less stuff and better graphics. That is hard for me to believe. No offense but I think you should fire the entire creative department, because they lack creativity. This is like going from 3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons back to Advanced D&D. This is not a bad game, don't get me wrong. I play it on my free time. As far as I am concerned Diablo 3 as is, even with Player Versus Player it doesn't deserve to be at #1 on the best Roll Playing Game chart of 2012. I believe we can get us there very simply. Diablo has always been a fast paced game. Which is why we play it over MMORPGs. So why did you add something that makes it take 20 minutes longer to do anything productive in the game? We are hard on the ones we love because we expect more out of them. I had very low expectations for this game to be honest. So you guys did well with the movies and the story to some extent. I think you spent all the time and money on making the cut scene movies, But it is what it is. I hope you guys find whatever you need to make Diablo 3 what it should be. I find myself comparing diablo 3 to Diablo II before the expansion Lord of Destruction, and it wasn't that great either. Though it did have some things that Diablo 3 still doesn't have. I know for a fact that people spend their hard earned money on the auction house, so you do have cash coming in. It would be helpful for you guys to have a commission based sales team who offers specials to rope in more buyers. It seems to me that the development is quite lazy. Only fools are satisfied. All I ask is that you not ruin this game like you did World of Warcraft. I'm sorry but no one thinks kung-fu panda is cool. ;-) My offer is on the table. I don't expect a huge check. If you want to save money and make money higher me and I will do wonders for you. I'm just a geek who knows how to make this game meet satisfactory standards, and go above and beyond without breaking the bank. More than anything I know how to make you money with this game.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Ive gatta say i enjoy his game i really do at launch it was not that great legendaries were worse than the blues and yellows but over time the patches have been coming out making the game fun. I was a long term D2 fan so when D3 came out i was all over that, played it with my friend untill inferno and realized we couldnt go any farther because the prices on the AH were ridiculous. Waited a few months the patch for paragon lvl and monster power came out prices on AH had dropped alot making it playable again and with monster power could give myself a challenge once i got better gear. So far with these patches i am pleased were this game is going i admit everything that the patches are adding should have been released with the game but i would rather see the content later rather than never. So a few pointers IMHO take down the RMAH theres no need for that. I dont have a problem with the reg AH except you guys need to put a lower buyout price, 100,000,000 buyout for a set piece wtf. I cant make millions like all these other people, should have done what was done in D2 make the high lvl blues and yellows sell for thousands to vendor so people acually have spending money.
Reply Quote

* Extremely dumbed down from D2, with insulting amounts of hand-holding present everywhere. This ranges from autostats, all skills enabled, no skill levels, freespecing, restricted skill choices without elective mode enabled, simple skill tooltips, removal of almost all combat mechanic affixes, no weapon swap, 4 socketables vs the hundreds of D2, generic/boring legendaries, etc.

* Lack of social support – poorly implemented chat channels, automatched game joining only, ghost town effect (similar to SC2′s major problem with Bnet 2.0), 4 player limit = even less socializing.

* Cheesy B-movie story-telling, cliche one-dimensional characters, corny voice-acting, non-sensical/comical actions by villains, predictable twists and plotline.

* Lack of diverse character types within and among classes – no more physical/caster/hybrid – all character types now rely on weapon damage like physical characters in D2. This destroys a huge amount of itemization/gearing choices, as there’s no longer a deviation between decentralized gear (caster) vs centralized gear (physical) vs a build that needs to balance the two (hybrid). In D3, there are no more physical barbs (frenzy/ww), caster barbs (singer), or hybrid barbs (BvC), there are only barbs that all base their gear on weapon damage (physical).

* DRM online only – no offline single player, no lan support. Laggy servers, and all the same issues of botting, duping, spamming, and trade exploits present in a game that’s over a decade old.

* Crappy UI that’s designed by a console developer – convoluted to navigate, clunky, and inefficient at utilizing screen space.

* Approx FOUR times less legendaries (uniques/runewords) in the game than D2:
* 9 chest pieces vs 37 uniques + 14 runewords
* 18 swords vs 35 uniques + 26 runewords
* 6 shields vs 22 uniques + 8 runewords
* 7 helms vs 23 uniques + 5 runewords
* 7 bows vs 19 uniques + 16 runewords
It’s actually more like 20x less if you consider that all but 1-2 legendaries per category are completely worthless – low/mid-level legendaries are unusable due to a general lack of utility mechanics present in the game, and no way to upgrade the base item to the next type (which would increase base damage or defense).

* 4 gems vs 7 gems + 8 unique jewels + 33 runes + a NEAR LIMITLESS variety of magic/rare jewels.

* Legendaries are generic, boring, and don’t have the flavor that D2 uniques/runewords did. Legendaries hardly seem to have themes or any effort done to them anymore, and most are just cookie-cutter molds that have been pasted onto every Legendary item type. Randomization of 1-3 entire affixes also makes the item much less iconic or powerful than before.

* Lack of combat mechanic affixes compared to D2:
% CTC Skill on Striking
% CTC Skill on Struck
% CTC Skill on Attack
% CTC Skill on Death
% CTC Skill on Level Up
% CTC Skill on Striking
% CTC Skill when you kill an enemy
Aura on Equipped
+Skill (off-class)
+Skill (class)
Charged Skill
Fires Explosive Arrows or Bolts
Fires Magic Arrows or Bolts
Knockback
Slain Monsters Rest in Peace
% Crushing Blow
% Open Wounds
% Hit Causes Monsters to Flee
Freezes Target
Cold Damage (Slows Target)
% Slows Target
Cannot Be Frozen
Drain Life
Hit Blinds Target
% Reanimate as (Monster Type)
Displays Full Set Aura
Natalya’s Permanent Fade State
Trang Oul’s Permanent Vampire State

vs D3:
% Fear
% Stun
% Slow
% Immobilize
% Chill
% Freeze
% Knockback
% Blind

And stun, slow, immobilize, chill, and freeze all pretty much do the same thing…

* The removal of attack rating (accuracy), faster hit recover, and faster block rate equates to a severe loss of having to balance such stats on gear, and represents yet another dumbing down of the decisions you make in the game.

* Much weaker bonuses on items in general aside from pure stats – less attack speed, less damage reduction, less run/walk speed = items feeling much less powerful than before and gear choices becoming much less meaningful or strategic. Set items also have extremely weak, almost laughable bonuses.

* Inferno mode is broken. It’s not more difficult, it’s just cheap. 1/2-shots everywhere, melee is severely handicapped. A number of retarded monster affixes that should never have been put in. Most builds except for a select few aren’t even viable. There’s no semblance of strategy, just having the best gear possible and dumb luck in not hitting the wrong champions. Since when did Diablo change from a game where you mow down monsters and feel like a god, to one where you repeatedly get cheap-shotted over and over again in a boring grind?

* Quests feel a lot more forced and non-optional than in D2.

* RMAH diminishes the sense of achievement of finding items. Spending hours finding a great item just doesn’t feel as rewarding when you know you can find something similar at the RMAH for a couple of cents. Although buying items with money was prevalent in D2, at least it was hidden away and not endorsed for all players to see and use.

* Farming has shifted from item finding to gold finding – mainly due to the rarity of legendaries, the low cost of legendaries, as well as gold being a readily attainable universal currency. However, gold finding is considerably less fun than item finding. To give a comparison: D2 was like playing the slot machine, each pull of the lever and you had a chance at something amazing. D3 is like going to work everyday, earning a paycheck, then buying what you want with the money.

* Outdoors feel a lot more linear, which is amplified by their completely static nature – there’s less vast open areas with less monsters at a time compared to D2 = less opportunities to kill hoards of enemies at once. The cow level – which was one of the most iconic vast open areas with hundreds of monsters, has been reduced to ponyville – a cramped twisty area with few monsters.

* No ethereal or superior items, no ability to create items with such properties or transmute it onto items you own, no gambling, no charms, no way to reroll item affixes. Mystic used to be able to do this, then got scrapped. All this just represents more dumbing down of features.

* A late game character doesn’t feel sufficiently stronger than an early game character. In D2, you felt weak in the early stages of the game, and like a complete badass in the later stages. Yet in D3, every spell is over-the-top and makes you feel powerful even 5 minutes into the game. Increased attack/cast speed are at much lower values than from D2 and inferno difficulty actually makes you feel a lot weaker than you did in the mid game.

* Lack of character uniqueness/identity/ownership – all builds are freely changeable, many builds in the late game are similar or identical – no character permanence + lack of customizability = lack of character attachment.

* Lack of in-depth customization – skills only have 1 level each so it’s impossible to specialize in certain skills to the extent you could before. You can’t specialize in builds that aren’t predetermined for you through the passive trait system. Because there are no points to allocate, there’s no more tinkering with unique builds, thinking about your build, or calculating your allocation of skill points/synergies. Although stats played a lesser extent (due to most people putting enough str to wear gear, and rest into vit), removing stats still removed some unique build options such as pure dex amazons, pure energy sorcs, pure str barbs, half/half varieties of the aforementioned, and max block vs 50% block vs passive block depending on dex allocations.

* Lack of good PvP support – not even in the game yet, but when it does eventually arrive, it will suck. There’s no 1v1s, no 2v2s, no in-game pk/pvp, no true team on team matches – only continuous-respawning deathmatch style matches on a timer. Furthermore, players are automatched by skill, so even players that are doing well will never truly feel like they are as there’s nothing to show for it without a rating system. RMAH also pretty much equates to buying power.

* No immersion or horror atmosphere – minimap with blinking dots and arrows, text messages and numbers popping up on screen for each attack or effect, annoying and repetitive character dialog every step of the way. Horror atmosphere is almost non-existent. Sure there’s “gore”, but the abundance of a bright colors, the cartoony almost surreal nature of the game, and the well-lit dungeons make it impossible for the game to scare you.

* Low replayability – no point in making more than 1 character for each class. All unique builds can be tried out in the timespan of a few minutes, instead of a few weeks. Unique builds aren’t practical in Inferno. Not enough depth in customization. Not enough depth in itemization. Bad pvp = low incentive to find loot. Bland loot = low incentive to find loot. Gold farming = low incentive to find loot. Low social support = less fun while playing. After beating inferno, is there even a point in continuing to play a game that’s no longer fun?

————————————————————————————————————————————————

Face it, this game is dying. People are leaving in droves after running through the game and reaching max level. This game is just too dumbed down and too badly designed to have enough replayability to support it for the years to come in the same way D2 did. This isn’t an action “RPG”, this is an action beat-em-up – this is Gauntlet Legends online. And don’t you dare think that any of these issues are because “an ARPG can’t do well in modern times”. It can. And it’s a darn shame that it very well could have, had Blizzard not hired that clown of a director Jay Wilson who ran the series into the ground. I’m done with D3, and my respect for Blizzard has suffered a large blow. Somewhere along the way, Blizzard simply lost respect for their customers, and it’s just not right.

Perfectly summarized. However, I'd like to elaborate a little about the very content of the game, not percentages, game mechanics, systems etc.

Before I start, I have to tell you that I used to be a huge fan of Diablo's franchise. I even decided to write BA thesis about linguistic aspect of angelic and demonic names presented in the series. My conclusion was that Diablo 1, 2 and The Sin War trilogy was highly enriched with symbolism, references to the legacy of literature and religions (i.e. the Bible for instance or Hebrew language, Pagan beliefs and so on).
My feelings about the lore in Diablo 3: Everything is cheesy and as if it was random. No any deeper meaning. The characters don't have any background that would symbolise anything nor had any refrences. Of course, there are characters with such attributes, yet they were previously invented by Blizzard North loremasters or Richard A. Knaak.
I think this was the essence of Blizzard's games beauty. Those games used to be perfectly designed, with this mysterious background to be discovered by players, to learn more about different characters you came across while playing the game.
Unfortunately, there's no such thing in Diablo III.

Personally, I think the lack of dark, gothic atmosphere - graphics is a huge disappointment, but I think everyone has managed to get over with it now... which is sad, because we cannot do anything about this today. It's just too late to change it.

And for God's sake. I loved my character to be silent in Diablo 1 and 2. I really don't understand why does Wizard have to say this "I am unstoppable"ish cheap, egocentric texts over and over again. It's useless and has a huge impact on the game's atmosphere.
Who wouldn't agree? Not to mention really bad voice acting (well, except Leah -Jennifer did a great job and Cain). Blizzard and terrible voice acting? No way... yet it's true! Take a look for example at KOTOR, Mass Effect or even Dead Space has better voice acting! I really regret that there was so much effort put into this and none could have stayed in the team that it sounds wrong and cheap.

I was really surprised when i first walked into Caldeum. Wow, seriously? Why couldn't it be a dusty, covered with sand city instead of some kind of carnival in Rio? It would be as much impressive as it is now (even more?).
Honestly, the only three areas I liked in terms of atmoshpere in Real of Terror, Hell Rifts and Act 1 outside areas at the beginning. Maybe Cathedral.

A lot of skills should be simplified. A lot of visuals shoud have been cut. Imo if Blizzard would do that and played a little with saturation, darken the games textures a little, there might be a good atmoshpere restored.

A lot of NPCs' dialogues should have been cut aswell. I really felt like playing Mario or somtehing when i encountered Auriel after destroying the Oculus in a Hell Rift.
"Well done Nephalem"... She even appeared out of nowhere, like a Paperclip in MS Office Word to give you a tip of the day. There are plenty of such dialogues in Diablo 3.

Aghr... enough.
Reply Quote
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Just wondering Rob ....how many legendaries have YOU found during those nights that you have played Diablo 3 ?

- We want public games (no matchmaking stuff)
- We want to hostile players
- We want loot to come back
- We want more random world events (running the keeps depths gets boring)
- We want 8 players (i understand the engines limitations, but please at least 6 players max)
- We want to see better (the view is too zoomed in !)
- We want potions (thawing potions, molten potions, armor potions, vigor potions etc)
- We want Identify All

Thank you!
Edited by Mholton#1819 on 1/19/2013 11:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
this game could have used this 7 years ago
Reply Quote
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.
I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

I know what you are saying Mr. Pardo but the fact is I would rather be honest with you about my feelings toward the game then try to sugar coat it. I played Diablo 2 for 8 years consistently, in my opinion it is the greatest game of all time with a replay value that goes beyond any game before or after. Diablo 3 did not meet this standard, it didn't even come close. Some of it is good, the battle animations and the physics are pretty amazing but the GAMEPLAY is quite depressing. I feel that my character isn't really progressing, I feel that the itemization is REALLY wrong. I feel that the story/quest line is WAY too linear for a Diablo game..I can run right through everything in Diablo 3 while in Diablo 2 I sometimes got lost on levels and had to spend a few minutes looking for the right way to go. I feel that I should be able to choose where my stats go, especially considering items don't even have stat requirements in Diablo 3. The feeling of "Yeah..this is MY CHARACTER! MY BUILD!" is gone in Diablo 3, everyones the same..we all seek the same stats on the same items and even trading is a snoozefest now thanks to the AH.

The video that I saw in 2008 was the D3 I was expecting, the game I bought in 2012 is some empty shell of what could of been. The PvP patch is finally coming..after almost a year..what do we get ? Something that should of been in at release..a very basic PvP system with no incentive to do it because we all know everyones going to be 1 shotting. Me and my friends heard about the patch coming and we all said "Meh..who cares at this point ? We already dislike the game at its core"

Some people are blunt with how they feel, some of us are more subtle. Mr. Pardo, Mr. Wilson..the fact that we CARED about this game should make you understand how it felt to be "betrayed" if you will, and knowing that we CARED about the game should give you enough reason to reach out to us in a proper manner rather then playing this game of cat and mouse, companies that are much much smaller then Blizzard make it a priority to interact with the community, to feel the players feedback on a daily basis and make the proper judgement and adjustments to correct what the community wants addressed, so my question is why is it different here ? At the most successful gaming company out there why is the community interaction between players and developers so limited and bland ? If smaller company devs can take time out of there day to read topics, reply PROPERLY and act on what the community deems as "poor" or "boring" how come Blizzard can't ? Its been almost a year now and I can't recall anything besides the Reddit AMAA where devs and players actually interacted..the progress of fixing what the community deems poor has been very slow, and now that time has passed alot of us have moved on and barely ever come to the forums. What you have left is players who are absolutely content with the game as it is but do not forget how many droves have already quit and moved on because of the very slow progress of fixing things and the fact the company seems to not care what we think.

Excuse my bluntness, I doubt you'll even read this but I want to be honest with you, the game is flawed at its core..every aspect that made Diablo great in the past has been utterly removed and that is why we are so hostile.

This ^

This brings it to the core of the problem for me. These guys that are left are happy with the game as it is, and thats really great for them. I'm being totally honest here. I hope that they will enjoy this game for years to come, but for me, the water is under the bridge now. It took 7 years to make what we currently have. It feels to me that somehow I got cheated out of what I wanted because this type of easy mode game is what is being catered to the now generation. If/when they ever decided to make a true Diablo sequel, it'll be years again before I'll ever get what I wanted/expected from this game in the first place.

It really makes me wonder, if they made version of Diablo that didn't have all the handholding and released it at the same time as this version, which one would really do better. Maybe I'm getting to old for games anyways, they ain't what they used to be.
Reply Quote
ATTN BLIZZ UPPER MANAGEMENT:

Here are the facts, Blizzard is not the company that it once represented. I have enjoyed all blizzard titles since inception. I am a 31 year old gamer that has played video games all my life spanning all the early pc/console cycles to current gen PC. Blizzard has sold out period. the day they decided to focus attention on cornering the market and mass profit mechanisms is when the decline commenced. Blizzard has sunken into the realm of corporate mentality profit driven ego centric elitists. The disconnect between Blizz upper management and their consumers has become ENORMOUS. Blizz simply spins issues in a light that seems logical and interesting and executes them completely different. From your awful WoW built in customer support system prerendering generic ticket responses, to your D3 CMs with their "damage control PR mode vanilla non fact revealing" responses on these forums--the lack of transparency is crippling. You people decided to take the greedy road over the road of quality competant games. I saw a lot of this nonsense when activision got their hands in. Bobby Kotick is textbook for "mass profit mechanism snake oil salesman" style games. I understand you are in it for profit--but the line must be drawn somewhere. Less worry about shareholder quarterly statements and more on QUALITY game /franchise improvements would go a long way. Seek our feedback instead of the "ignore and redirect complete media blackout" campaign you love to use so often. Maybe then you can revive your diehard fans and re-gain the respectand admiration this community once had for the company!
Reply Quote
Toast! Here is to a new chance for a better direction and director!
Reply Quote

You're not the one who told us we didn't remember what we liked about Diablo 2, or make arrogant posts about the direction the game took on twitter. We wouldn't have hated him anywhere near as much if he'd owned up to his mistakes like a man; instead of hiding behind his pride like a child with a toy.
Reply Quote
Me? I've just been playing Starcraft II nonstop the last month or so. In particular, custom game Marine Arena: 2 (it's so fun!!)

I got uber bored with Diablo 3, because unlike Diablo 2.. there just was no POINT to the grindfest. I've heard all the pro-D3 anti-D2 arguments before. "But there's no point in grinding in D2 either, etc."

Bull.

D2 had more meta-game than D3 does at the moment. D2 had different sub-communities who could all find their niche... it had a little something for everyone. Here are all the various sub-communities D2 had.

Ladder Climbers - These are the die-hard play 24/7 PVE crowd.. you see folks like them on games such as WoW and other MMO's. D2's regularly re-set ladder provided plenty of new competition to them.. to see who could build the best team with the best channel running the best Baal Games.. timed right down to the second, every player had a role, who would tele in, open TP, would go in to help clear throne etc. It sounds very simplistic, but the perfect Baal Team ran like a well oiled machine, and D2 ladder runs have been broken down to a fine science. You can see level 99's on ladder now in under a month.

Magic Finders - These are the guys I think they were trying to get addicted to D3.. the ones who would run constant Andariel, Mephisto, Pindleskin, Eldritch, etc runs.. the ones obsessed with constantly trading. They fuel the economy of the game and in each ladder reset they go hard at work. Sure some of them may run bots.. but we'll forgive that. I mean, it's Diablo 2. The fact that people still play it over a decade later at all is to be commended.

PvP'ers - Ah the controversial crowd that continually gets slapped around and disregarded by the Diablo 3 team. I spent hours upon hours of dueling in Diablo 2. For this crowd, EVERYTHING revolves around PVP. Magic Finding, Trading, rushing/power-leveling.. all of it was a tool to accomplish perfecting their PVP character. You had BM (Bad Manner) duels, you had GM (Good Manner) duels.. you had private dueling channels, you had pub-stomps, private leagues, teams, etc.. you had E-Priders, everything you see in today's competitive gaming community.

Griefers - I don't know why this crowd has been abandoned by pretty much every mainstream developer and company out there. This used to be considered part of online gaming, and in games like Ultima and the like, very much a part of the environment itself. The same is said about Diablo 2. In my opinion, Diablo 2 remains the most popular MAINSTREAM game which supported griefing. Declaring hostility without consent.. hunting down n00bs in Hardcore mode, and PK'ing them. Someone giving you trouble? Hostile them and PK them. A lot of furious people will disagree with me until the end of time on this point, but I think the main draw for D2 for a LOT of people was the ability to grief others so freely and openly, with such little consequences. And damn it, it's part of that "dark and gritty" cutthroat environment. And I keep hearing mainstream developers, from Blizzard and others, saying that griefing isn't fun, and that it drives players away from a game.. but why did Diablo 2 have such a dedicated hardcore community for so long? People accepted the PK'ers and believe it or not, I think most of them loved the excitment when someone joined a game who may or may not have been a PK'er. Kept you on your toes, and made the overall experience richer.

What meta-game does diablo 3 have? There's JUST grinding for gear. Diablo 3 is a one-dimensional slice of what Diablo 2 was, appealing only to one portion of the fan community. Everyone else in the other subcommunites I just listed? They all got left out in the dark.

Point is, Diablo 2 was many different things to many different people. Diablo 3 is only one thing.. a non-stop gear grind.

Blizzard & Team. Prove me wrong. I haven't read much about 1.0.7 yet, but when it comes out, I'll be playing D3 again. Don't dissapoint your loyal fans. Give us back some meta-game.. and for the love of God.. now that JW is gone.. consider giving us a darn Sand-box mode, like Diablo 2 had. Everyone loved this. The insistence that it's a bad idea is outrageous!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]