Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

Best of luck to you Jay!

Nothing will ever be perfect, nothing will be shy of criticism, nothing will meet every expectation. However, I, for one, enjoy D3 (yeah I have bashed it here and there and I have bashed you in the forums from time to time as well). But, I have played a little every day since launch so that must say something. I love the heroes (for some reason I cannot get into a barbarian, but the other 4 are great!) and I love the monsters and I love that there are improvements to the game (although some nerfing is annoying I can respect the need for balance). Overall, I am a D3 fan I guess (I have stuck it through D1 and D2).

With that, thank you Jay and hope that what you work on nexrt will come out soon for all of us to enjoy. I do appreciate your commitment and hard work - it is a good game.
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 01:22 PMPosted by SonicSpartan
WoW the Blizzard Diablo 3 team just locked down the BLIZZARD PLEASE BRING BACK DAVID BREVIK thread. Thay must really hate the fanbase right now.

Not happening dude, its simple to understand and really childish in my point of view.

Blizz dont want another D2 (any doubts here?).
Reply Quote
Esev so why is it childish?
Reply Quote

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

I myself thought jay was doing a great job, toomany players wanted this to be exactly like d2, im a d1 and d2 layer myself, and have enjoyed what d3 brings, especially bringing in deeper story and even better graphics .

What i would like to see more deep detail of is

1/ Better build variaty
2/ More variaty of items so that you can have more build daversity
3/ More use of white items (Alowing to add sockets may help)
4/ More gem tiers (More unique affixes)
5/ Bring to life some d2 charms (Will add build variaty)
6/ More achievments
7/ Ranking systems for pvp
8/ Expand the levels to 99 or even beyond.
9/ More Random events
10/ An endless dungeon of sorts
11/ more back story of the old land and histories of the old places, maybe even make new systems of the old places from diablo2 mephistos are, baal's area and so on just some nifty old history places.

These are things that would really bring this game on par, and would make it much more fun and fuller.
Reply Quote
"deeper story"

are you joking. You must be joking.

oh my sides.
Reply Quote
We all know that the higher ups had a major influence on the outcome of the game. In the end it was all about the PROFITS. I can't believe they would sacrifice brand integrity for profit. All of my friends including me feel that Blizzard has lost touch with what their games usually mean for people.

Also the biggest blunder of all is the Battle.net team. It feels so consolized and there is NO community. HOTS seems to be in the right step but why not across all blizzard games
Edited by nicobella#1396 on 1/19/2013 1:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 12:11 PMPosted by Musiquekei
errrr does that mean the update for 1.07 will be delayed :( until further notice when new guy will be taking over? :(

No, they've already announced that 1.07 will launch on schedule, and work on everything else in the pipe (whatever that is) will continue for now. Since their new coach will take over the reins of the team mid-season, and try to make the playoffs with the existing bench, I expect that we'll wait months before any announcements about D3's "new" direction.
Reply Quote
We are customers who paid money for this game. If you bought a cup of coffee and found out the baristas spit in it, would you not be entitled to complain?

You can complain about anything, but I would hardly call the work put into diablo 3 is "spit in a cup off coffee". More like you ordered a roast that you thought you would like, but then ended up hating it.

...but then you come back to that coffee shop every day only to order the same cup of coffee while yelling at the barista about how bad she is at making coffee.

I expect that we'll wait months before any announcements about D3's "new" direction.

I don't there will be a "new" direction. I'm sure there is tons of stuff going on behind the scenes working on the expansion already, but thinking a new Director will be put in place to go back in time and make this game like LoD is kinda ridiculous. Beyond doing things like, bringing by Runes as items, spicing up itemization, or turning off the Auction House, I don't see any U-turns coming. Which I'm personally ok with.

I just really hope the new Director doesn't get death threats from "blizzard fans" because he doesn't do just that.
Edited by Connatic#1376 on 1/19/2013 1:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
Jay's biggest mistake was probably to concede too much to the fans. That basically derailed how the evolution of D3 would play out. The game's vision lost its integrity. The crushing difficulty of Inferno at release gave the game longevity and made the AH work like it was supposed to. In most games, co-op gives better rewards than solo play. The AH bridged that gap.

The problem with Blizzard's long development cycles is that the market now changes too rapidly for them. In the old days, fans were patient, and they appreciated games even with their flaws. Now, fans bash perfectly good games because they know the next distraction is around the corner. That's why some companies can release the same generic FPSs and Sports Games with relatively short development times and have great success and staying power. A lot changes in a decade.

Making Diablo III was a big risk, but nobody knew when they started what the market would be like today. It has become cold, callous, and unappreciative. Now, there are many prominent and influential gaming media outlets. While the Bioware doctors denied that fan negativity impacted their decision to leave the gaming industry, you do have to admit it can eat at you. It's hard to love your job when it seems like the world hates what you make. I'm fairly sure Jay's move was by choice and in a positive direction, but it sucks to have that bitter aftertaste knowing that a vocal minority basically trashed your team's hard work and dedication.

I'm also fairly certain that the fan negativity would be significantly reduced if the release day Battle.net errors didn't occur. First impressions go a long way.
Reply Quote
Hey you guys did a fine job with the game. I just miss Matt Uelmen.
Reply Quote
diablo3 is good game
Compared diablo2
have progress, have regress
Skill system is great progress
I personally like the new skills system
But diablo3 equipment system is not good
I'll explain why d3 equipment systems is not good
First, d3 useful affixes too little
A rare up to 6 affixes
(Right) affixes few
Main attributes, vit, All Resistances, attack speed, crit chance, crit damage, armor, sockets, and life% running speed
D2 (right) affixes: Attack Rating% Attack Rating Armor% Armor + damage, +% damage, + Attack Rating with% damage + all skill, Sockets, the main attributes, Poison Length Reduced, can not be frozen, life steal, mana steal, All Resistances, physical Damage Reduced%, IAS, FCR fhr fbr - Requirements (d2-Requirements is useful properties, while d3 contrary), Indestructible (with eth item) Replenish Quantity (with eth item), + life, + life%, elements Absorb, elements Absorb%, improve the elemental skill damage% Crushing Blow, Open Wounds, Deadly Strike, Faster Run, reduced target defense%, etc.
From the results
d2 the (best) item with d3 (best) is completely different
(Best) item in d2, may occur 2same part, but all affixes are completely different, so dont have the best, only depend on build
Which is more conducive to the diversification of play
D3's (the best), just two item with the same affixes # mounted on the size of the ratio values
D3 item, the main attribute is too important
Like A item 100str, B item have150str, so B is better
its not funny
A very simple solution:
[U] add more useful affixes, main attribute set an upper limit, more new affixes have upper limit [/ u]
many d2 affixes, have a upper limit
For example: - All Resistances Crushing Blow, Open Wounds, Deadly Strike, elements Absorb% Poison Length Reduced Can not Be Frozen
fcr, fhr, fbr: a little more is useless, less is not enough attributes
Like d2 sorc, fcr105%> 200%
More than 105 fcr, but not enough 200 is completely useless
So players must make a choice: I heap to 200fcr, or 105fcr and the heap the other values
i think its more fun
I understand this a little more is useless, a little less is On not enough property when the game technically will inadvertently appear
now can not have this property
but more than get some caps affixes should also be very interesting
Like [i] Reduces the cooldown% skill% cost reducing Crushing Blow (or something like this in), ignoring the target armor%, ignoring the target resistance% fhr, fbr [/ i], (d3 I'm not sure player have stun time of not when hit by moster, but Dodge, Block has stun time (or something like stun, cannot move, cannot attack), i think can the add the this property, although I do not know whether it is technically feasible)
d2 charms
dont came to d3
i think maybe in expension set?

Have to mention is d2 after1.10 have new rune word and new item
People can [i] can use other class skill [/ i]
In fact, d3 can also refer to
for example a legendary item have affixes: you can use blizzard
when a barbarian equip thas item, one of the skill can be replaced by blizzard, of course, cost rage
Or: you can use magic missile
Barbarian equipped with this item, one of the skill can be replaced by Magic Missile, his magic missiles also generate rage
Passive skills are also the same
This will generate a lot of new build

d3 gems actually just heap main attributes
Heap no limit, but a very important value
Boring
hope jewels with Rune regression
magic jewels ,1-2 affixes, high value
rare jewels ,4-6 affixes, relatively low value
Meaning is the most advanced affixes limited magic, rare sub, but more affixes
For example: the most perfect magic affixes +10% crit chance
rare only +6%
Rune is legendary jewels, only one affixes
Special affixes

summary:
add more useful affixes, main attribute set an upper limit, more new affixes have upper limit
some item can use other class skill
charms
jewels

I'm not saying d2 better than d3
D3 is not perfect.
d2 not perfect also
d2only item is better than d3
my english is not good
I sincerely want to d3 better so type a lot of word

I hope someone can discusses
Like d2 sorc, fcr105%> 200%
More than 105 fcr, but not enough 200 is completely useless
So players must make a choice: I heap to 200fcr, or 105fcr and the heap the other values
i think its more fun
I understand this a little more is useless, a little less is On not enough property when the game technically will inadvertently appear
now can not have this property
but more than get some caps affixes should also be very interesting
Like [i] Reduces the cooldown% skill% cost reducing Crushing Blow (or something like this in), ignoring the target armor%, ignoring the target resistance% fhr, fbr [/ i], (d3 I'm not sure player have stun time of not when hit by moster, but Dodge, Block has stun time (or something like stun, cannot move, cannot attack), i think can the add the this property, although I do not know whether it is technically feasible)
d2 charms
dont came to d3
i think maybe in expension set?

Have to mention is d2 after1.10 have new rune word and new item
People can [i] can use other class skill [/ i]
In fact, d3 can also refer to
for example a legendary item have affixes: you can use blizzard
when a barbarian equip thas item, one of the skill can be replaced by blizzard, of course, cost rage
Or: you can use magic missile
Barbarian equipped with this item, one of the skill can be replaced by Magic Missile, his magic missiles also generate rage
Passive skills are also the same
This will generate a lot of new build

d3 gems actually just heap main attributes
Heap no limit, but a very important value
Boring
hope jewels with Rune regression
magic jewels ,1-2 affixes, high value
rare jewels ,4-6 affixes, relatively low value
Meaning is the most advanced affixes limited magic, rare sub, but more affixes
For example: the most perfect magic affixes +10% crit chance
rare only +6%
Rune is legendary jewels, only one affixes
Special affixes

summary:
add more useful affixes, main attribute set an upper limit, more new affixes have upper limit
some item can use other class skill
charms
jewels

I'm not saying d2 better than d3
D3 is not perfect.
d2 not perfect also
d2only item is better than d3
my english is not good
I sincerely want to d3 better so type a lot of word

I hope someone can discuss
i love diablo!
Reply Quote
bakudannar So what your saying is it's a good game if there fanbase don't like it?
Reply Quote
We thank you for all of the hard work you've poured into the game over the past seven years.

I must request, however, that you please not (in any way) get involved with Titan.

Again, we thank you for your hard work.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Rob Pardo
I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Sounds a little like Hilary after Benghazi. Just kidding!

Best of luck to you Jay. I think I'm pushin 1000 hours by now and I'm not stoppin until my intervention! And if that turns out like it did when I was drinking, I'm still gonna come back for a few more years of struggling with my demons... or D3's demons rather.

Overall keep up the great work wherever you wind up. Peace.
Reply Quote
We all know that the higher ups had a major influence on the outcome of the game. In the end it was all about the PROFITS. I can't believe they would sacrifice brand integrity for profit. All of my friends including me feel that Blizzard has lost touch with what their games usually mean for people.

Also the biggest blunder of all is the Battle.net team. It feels so consolized and there is NO community. HOTS seems to be in the right step but why not across all blizzard games

Profit is the reason why they're in business. Otherwise, it's a charity. If they're not profitable, they'll be sold to another entity who will gut them. Blizzard does not have a history of low quality games. D3 is high quality. Some people just didn't like it, and that's life. I never played WoW, but their RTS franchises are fantastic and I pumped tons of heartbeats into the Diablo series. I never got the impression that they were lazy or were leveraging their brand equity (like Square-Enix does).

Heart of the Swarm will do fine because it will only be compared across their RTSs. D3's problem is that it's compared to both WoW and D2. The dev team chose to walk the middle because it would be too easy one way and too hardcore the other. Unfortunately, being in the middle provokes the vocal fan minority in each group.
Reply Quote
Good luck, Jay, and thanks for all your hard work on Diablo 3! Not to speak badly of any Diablo game, but I felt that Diablo 3 fixed many of the aspects of Diablo 2 that I disliked, while continuing to capture the essence of what I enjoyed about the Diablo franchise. I look forward to hearing about your next Blizzard project.

Don't let the trolls get you down; most players don't truly understand what a huge endeavor the production and continued development of a game like Diablo 3 entails, and Murphy's Law always applies.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]