Diablo® III

Monks Skill damage buff is overwhelming 1.07(?)

View profile
Just read off DiabloFans about sneaks of the up coming patch.

Monk right now already has the highest attack power when spending resource. I agree that the cost for their skills is high compare to other class where you must use up 1/2 of your base resource but they also got a +100 to resource. To make up for that high cost.

NO other class has a resource spender that does 566% per hit. Oh, if you think "Rend" and "Exploding Palm" you are wrong, those are DoT attacks so they never get 700% per second, they get 700% per attack. Now, Wall of Light get buff from 566% to 1202%. What's with this damage... Other skills that use up 1/2 base resource, ie Cluster Arrow (Loaded for Bear) does 304%, Meteor (Molten Impact) does 390%. btw all these skills have a AoE so this is a joke right. We all need to play Monk so we can experience super critical without decent gears.

The next skill if the change is true than blizz is out of your mind. I always thought it will get nerfed, but no its buffed. Exploding Palm damage on death 30% to 50% of the target's
"maximum Life". Has anyone not seem this effect on high MP uber or elites. Right now you kill one the other one just dies if they are close by. From 30% to 50% means its much less work to kill them... I don't need to explain myself here do I...

Getting buff is nice, but please have balance. You don't want to buff every single class do you? I think Blizz you need to talk to your Diablo 3 developer again. This time no coffee, alcohol, and no meals. Drink water and talk...
Reply Quote
You want balance?

Let's see you use a barbarian, let's nerf barbarians and every class will be on equal grounds. Oh is that too much for you? Then shut up
Reply Quote
monk is very powerful already, i dont know why they buff monk in this patch....huge buff....
Reply Quote
View profile
We'll see how this turns out. They probably put the number very high so people are going to test it, and they will tweak the number later on.

I'll be honest with you. Back when I was playing with my Monk, I NEVER touched wave of light, and a lot of other skills. They looked boring and did no damage. I might give them a try if they make them "fun". I'll need to re-gear my monk though... same with my Wizard.
Reply Quote
View profile
You want balance?

Let's see you use a barbarian, let's nerf barbarians and every class will be on equal grounds. Oh is that too much for you? Then shut up

OMG you think barbs are powerful. Yes we survive the best, but we have the worse killing rate. Most attacks are single target that makes killing time very long. All our dps depends on DoT. You see people running with little tornadoes, do you not know monk has the same ability and better attack power?

btw I play all classes and has an idea whats going on.

We'll see how this turns out. They probably put the number very high so people are going to test it, and they will tweak the number later on.

I'll be honest with you. Back when I was playing with my Monk, I NEVER touched wave of light, and a lot of other skills. They looked boring and did no damage. I might give them a try if they make them "fun". I'll need to re-gear my monk though... same with my Wizard.

I used Wave of Light when leveling up to 60 and that's it. But the style of monks that don't use these spirit spender are boring all we do it hit and crt hit and walk pass by.
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 1/14/2013 11:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/14/2013 11:33 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
btw I play all classes and has an idea whats going on.

You don't actually have an idea.

01/14/2013 11:33 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
OMG you think barbs are powerful. Yes we survive the best, but we have the worse killing rate

"We survive the best," was the only accurate part of this statement.
Edited by Nightsbane#1119 on 1/14/2013 11:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
Monks definitely needed a buff, and leave it to someone complain about it when they get one. Powerful characters are fun, who cares about balance in the regular game. For pvp sure, but otherwise I don't care. Bring on the powerful skills haha. Not saying I think what they are doing with the Monk is putting it out of balance, just saying.
Reply Quote
This is pretty much Trail of Cinders all over again. I don't think these numbers will survive the PTR.
Reply Quote
oh please, monk skill buff is already terribly boring.
----

just some suggestions:

* mystic ally = mystic ally's generate spirit when they attack.

* tempest rush - generates spirit on crit (and otherwise doesn't cost any)

* dashing strike - generate spirit on crit (and otherwise doesn't cost any), allow it to break jailer, that way serenity can see a competitor. after all, with 34% move speed, you may not need serenity to escape frozen, so jailer is the only one that is inescapable without an escape skill. so a bit more variety might be nice.

------------------

* all current 4 spirit generators - generate massive amounts of spirit. eg: FOT generates 3 x more spirit than current. the rest generates 5x more spirit and on the 3rd strike a probability of full charge (eg: 50% chance of full spirit if you hit 3 enemies on your 3rd strike, otherwise 5% chance)

* examples:

* 3rd strike of fist of thunder: the 3rd strike vortexes mobs in a 15 yd radius into its center.if you hit 3 mobs with it, you have a 20% chance PER second (thus doesn't scale with aps) of regaining all spirit

* 3rd strike of deadly reach leaves a wave of fire on the ground for 3 seconds. (like toc.) mobs caught in the holy flame suffer 10% dmg dot and receives 10% more dmg from all sources. if you hit 3 mobs with it, you have a 30% chance PER second (thus doesn't scale with aps) of regaining all spirit , otherwise 5% chance

* 3rd strike of crippling wave expels a wave of dread, it extends out to 40 yds for a 40yd width cone, if you hit 3 mobs with it, you have a 50% chance PER second (thus doesn't scale with aps) of regaining all spirit , otherwise 5% chance . all mobs caught in the cone suffer from 30% slow

* 3rd strike of wave of a thousand fists creates an 40ft aura around you. if you hit 5 mobs with it, you have a 30% chance PER second (thus doesn't scale with aps) of regaining all spirit , otherwise 5% chance . all mobs caught in the cone suffer from 10% dmg per second dot from all that bruising. you can gain loh from ticks.

------------------

* spirit spenders = lower the damage instead. instead make them more for cc, buffs. I rather infinite spam lower damage wave of light/cyclone strike than cast wave of light every 6 seconds.. heck you can even have some skills be LIFE spenders instead of spending spirit. remember, its fun to use skills constantly, its not fun to save skills/spirit to be used in "emergencies"

* if you want to go the nuke portion, then make 1 rune of wave of light constantly self spams for 6 seconds, so that it acts like an aoe turret that cyclonestrikes constantly while you go somewhere else. could be useful in pinning uber magda somewhere, while you go res your team mates. hah

* you can alter life on spirit spent, but then again maybe not, in light with all the changes above, OWE may not be relevant with a huge vit pool. by the way, OWE is "mandatory" because its kind of a cheap way to gain resist, I'm pretty sure you don't have to do anything about it, eventually once everyone hits plvl 100, you either change out of owe gear to gain dps or something else. or simply add a few more better passives, that will negate owe, because really, all your other passives are rubbish : combination strike = rubbish for example)

------------------

* really reduce of the cd on blinding flash (4-8 secs), lashing tail kick(2 secs) and inner sanctuary (2 secs).

* inner sanctuary is really stupid. change it to something like big bang voodoo . (eg: inner sanctuary gives massive spirit regen (400%) and reflects projectiles and silences enemies in the area of effect), change radius to 40 yds.) even wizard's slow time is far more useful than inner sanctuary. it shouldn't even have a cd (or 4 seconds at max) its such a silly skill at current cos it plays keepaway which is excellent for the monk's superior range attacks...lol

* all exploding palm runes should be an aoe 20 yd burst that affects everything, having to dot each and every mob is really stupid for so little returns. (not withstanding essence burn)
it should also have a passive eg: 10% more dmg taken from all sources during the dot period (like conflagration).

* SSS = no cd. spirit cost is sufficiently penalising.

* monks really like have 1 cc skill.. you really should look into other things to boost that (eg: let sss stun, let lashing tail kick scorpion sting stun be part of the skill itself and change that rune,

* sweeping wind: increase the duration before requiring recasts (like 5 minutes). simply give a bonus when you recast/refresh just like mantras. (its really a quality of life thing for low level farming where you may not need the bonus. the recast can be a spirit spender for your nuke damage, that way you can have your other skills like wave of light and cyclone strike being cheap repeatable spammable skills with low dmg but for cc reasons, and you can have sweeping wind as nukes on cast/recast. eg: 777% dmg on cast in a 20 yd radius nuke consuming 50 spirit) but then you have to change your inna's set bonus., or add in a caveat, this effect can only happen once every 5 seconds)

* guiding light - making it work while solo

* pacifism - make it give you 40% cc reduction as well (or 40%-80% chance to ignore a cc attack). thats hardly overpowering considering that the time you spend NOT under cc, you don't get the damage reduction. pls note barbs get 100% immunity to cc (do this, and you see ppl give up OWE)

* mantra of retribution is purely lacklustre. give it the storm armor effect as well. (ie: while not reflecting, it still does an attack by itself) - ps: did you guys have some build in mind where someone uses mantra of retribution, , pacifism and afk mobs to death?

* beacon of ytar - its pretty useless considering the only skills people use it to bring off cd that are actually useful is blinding strike and serenity. if you do take the suggestion of reducing cds on other skills, then beacon of ytar should be changed. eg: doubles all healing abilities, gains 10% dps, 15% hp and 1.5% lifesteal

* combination strike - each time you spend 50 spirit, you gain a 5% dps/hp buff that lasts for 25 seconds, you can stack up to 5 buffs.

* the guardians path - spend 50% of spirit cost as HP. a guardian must be prepared to accept martydom
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 1/14/2013 11:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/14/2013 11:38 PMPosted by Gorthon
This is pretty much Trail of Cinders all over again. I don't think these numbers will survive the PTR.

pls note snap shot monks do way more dps on sweeping wind, its just a paper buff, but an overall nerf to sweeping wind.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 1/14/2013 11:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
take this into consideration because i play a monk and here is my stand point on the DMG % increase on things such as wave of light.

Wave of light (as you stated) use's half of a monks resource, meaning we can cast 1-2 times before oh !@#$ we are all out of resource.

Now the damage you did with 2 shots of the wave of light can easily be done by a good monk not using wave of light and not using a 3rd of that resource. TBH it isnt even that big of a deal, now if they made it cost like 20 resource to use and buffed it that high, then that would be imbalanced.

Also keep in mind half of us MONKS do NOT use most of the other skills out there because the resource cost is so HIGH and DEMANDING that it is not worth using even if it does more %dmg it still ends up being worthless.

(exploding palm is only nice on elites that stay together, have you noticed how SMALL the explosion radius is?)

damn that about covers your %^-*!ing, know your facts before getting all whity tightied up

(snapshot monk is getting fixed in 1.7 as well, i never did it i think it is worthless and to much time consumption, and you cant tell a HUGE diff if dmg, and it doesnt show more either)
Edited by koacrixis#1938 on 1/14/2013 11:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
If Diabloprogress is any indication, the highest potential DPS character appears to be the wizard, followed by the DH, monk, and WD, with barb coming in last.

Of course barbs make up for it with huge damage boosting passives compared to everyone else.

Monks hardly have an issue with damage. Rather the problem to me seems to be that high MP locks you into the standard build because the other skills are too weak. It's nice to see that I can finally go Tempest Rush in higher MP effectively.
Edited by Umbra#1595 on 1/14/2013 11:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
If Diabloprogress is any indication, the highest potential DPS character appears to be the wizard, followed by the DH, monk, and WD, with barb coming in last.

Of course barbs make up for it with huge damage boosting passives compared to everyone else.

Monks hardly have an issue with damage. Rather the problem to me seems to be that high MP locks you into the standard build because the other skills are too weak. It's nice to see that I can finally go Tempest Rush in higher MP effectively.

everyone is at the same baseline as far as gear potential goes (ie: unbuffed dps). most of the barbs are not geared for single target but farming aoe. I expect this will change once pvp arrives.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 1/14/2013 11:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
@chrisloup - I think is better to say give me a passive that return spirit per hit or on crt. And asking too much on a lot of stuff...

@koacrixis - I know your pain but that all because monk's spirit generation is horrible.
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 1/14/2013 11:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
Dear OP:

- no matter what skills you're using, which class you are, if you DO NOT have the right gears, it doesn't matter

- monks DOES NOT have anything / gears that'll BOOST spirit pool

- monks HAVE to use one passive to gain 100 additional spirit pool

- monks DOES NOT have crit on spirit return, therefore fast attack speed matters

- monks DOES NOT benefit from BELT having LIFESTEAL

- monks DOES NOT have skills / passives that gives LIFESTEAL

overall, no gear no UBER MONK; and if you think it is that easy, try and survive as a monk on mp10 then talk. barbs have the BEST in terms of survivability in the game still. and have you seem HOTA buiild that does 3-10 mil crit hits?? its all over youtube....mp10 azmodan dead in 9 secs from a barb....
Reply Quote
01/14/2013 11:49 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
@chrisloup - I think is better to say give me a passive that return spirit per hit or on crt. And asking too much on a lot of stuff...

can't. I main a wiz and I like being special. so NO...

hahah
Reply Quote
big numbers on dumb skills. nothing to see here folks
Reply Quote
i would rather see Wave of Light get a huge reduction in cost to use, and no adjustment to the damage.
Reply Quote
Bliz has said that they like where monks are in damage output, but that there aren't great ways to spend spirit other than to refresh overawe. Current cookie cutter monks fill up their whole bar in order to buff and do do sweeping wind damage, so taking any spirit spender means giving up something (either a damage buff or serenity).

I'm sure that it's all baked at this point, so what I say doesn't matter, but I hope there are better spirit recovery mechanisms. Some of the monk skills are actually not terrible, but they're unusable because you can't recover spirit quickly enough (for instance, by crit proc) to spam the skills.

By the way, it's disingenuous for a player whose main toon is a barb to write a sentence that starts with, "No other class has...". Barbs have the best skills synergy in the game, providing endless resource, extraordinary mobility, dps, and the ability to ignore every single form of crowd control except waller. CM wizzies and SW monks wish they had a set of skills that worked together as well as that. That's not envy -- I've had a 300k+ barb, but hated him, because gameplay was horrendously boring -- it's just a gentle rebuff.

I generally tell people who say "barbs have this or that" to play a barb. In this case, I would suggest, try playing a monk :) There will be things you direly miss from your barb's skillset, I promise you.
Edited by Talys#1767 on 1/14/2013 11:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/14/2013 11:39 PMPosted by chrisloup
allow it to break jailer,

dashing strike can get out of jailer, can go through arcane lazors and and pass through wall of fire, walk on plague and molten. and can also escape waller if there's a gap
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]