Diablo® III

107 Account-bound craft will simply widen rich-poor gap

Blizzard can do a "soft reset" by adding level 64 gear slowly over time, but they should only do it once they have a clear direction and stick to the plan. I fear this team is capable of neither.

I agree. But I don't think it's because they're incapable. It's more due to the GAH/RMAH and the players who've sunk lots of actual money into gear.

With D2, because they officially did not support money tied to items, resets and anything else they wished to do were all feasible. The opposite is the case now. Nearly every change they'd like to make has to take the AH and the gear players currently have into consideration, because everything has an official monetary value in D3.
Edited by Otis#1467 on 1/16/2013 8:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
I'd bet a lot of money few end game players end up using crafted items.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 08:43 AMPosted by Otis
Nearly every change they'd like to make has to take the AH and the gear players currently have into consideration, because everything has an official monetary value in D3.

I don't see this. Blizz blew up a ton of item value with 1.05
Reply Quote
You seem fixated on the AH as the root of all evils. It existed in D2. It exists in WoW. It's simply a trading platform, and a very good one at that. It's the furthest thing from D3's problems.

In case you haven't noticed, Blizzard has been screwing over GAH/RMAH users with each patch. 1.07 screws people who want to trade more than ever before. The AH is not holding Blizzard back. It's their inability to figure out what actually makes a Diablo game a Diablo game. They keep swerving down the highway without a destination in mind.

lol I'm not fixated. I'm stating the true reason they are bound to band-aid solutions. Having money tied to items by Blizzard themselves is what hinders gameplay improvements. It's FACT, sir.

Change, or lack thereof in D3 will forever be tied to the AH.

And the AH did not exist in D2.
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 01:46 PMPosted by Moshra
I love it, personally. I would much rather craft items then just buy em from the AH.
Reply Quote
Account-bound craft items however will eliminate or block the market needs of gears.

The reality is that rich ppl will invest in account bounding craft to get good account bound gears. This investment used to spread in AH and eventually it would go to lucky poor players.

Going by ptr feedback, I don't think anyone has any reason to be worried about the new boa gear.
Reply Quote

lol I'm not fixated. I'm stating the true reason they are bound to band-aid solutions. Having money tied to items by Blizzard themselves is what hinders gameplay improvements. It's FACT, sir.

Change, or lack thereof in D3 will forever be tied to the AH.

And the AH did not exist in D2.

Trading existed in D2. BoA did not. And as I and Ossian said, Blizzard has been screwing over people's gear value since day 1. Remember IAS nerf? Remember 1.04? Remember 1.05? They don't care about AH values. I have no idea why you think this is "fact."

Why don't they make true trading more of an option? Seems to me, this could easily be accomplished, yet they refuse.

They care about AH values. They know exactly just how much game tweaking (nerfing) AH users will take before quitting.
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 01:45 PMPosted by ecstaSTEVE
the game was supposed to be a single-player dungeon crawler without an AH. everything you owned should have been account bound.

The game was never intended to be that.

It was intended to be a MMO single player game for WoW players to migrate to because its a bigger player base than a minority hardcore arpg player base.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 08:51 AMPosted by whoopadeedoo

I agree. But I don't think it's because they're incapable. It's more due to the GAH/RMAH and the players who've sunk lots of actual money into gear.

With D2, because they officially did not support money tied to items, resets and anything else they wished to do were all feasible. The opposite is the case now. Nearly every change they'd like to make has to take the AH and the gear players currently have into consideration, because everything has an official monetary value in D3.

You seem fixated on the AH as the root of all evils. It existed in D2. It exists in WoW. It's simply a trading platform, and a very good one at that. It's the furthest thing from D3's problems.

In case you haven't noticed, Blizzard has been screwing over GAH/RMAH users with each patch. 1.07 screws people who want to trade more than ever before. The AH is not holding Blizzard back. It's their inability to figure out what actually makes a Diablo game a Diablo game. They keep swerving down the highway without a destination in mind.

While I agree with some of your post, I'm not sure what you're on about with patches "hurting" AH users. 1.0.7 Will not affect the AH in the slightest. No patch ever will because the game's main mechanic--YOU KNOW, LOOT--CENTERS ON THE AH. These new craft items will have little to no effect on the AH. BiS will always most easily be available on the AH. Business as usual. The market for middle tier gear isn't declining because of patches, it's declining because as people play the game, they find/inherit that stuff anyway and there are fewer and fewer new players getting the game who need that type of gear.
Reply Quote
@OP

Dude you have 600 elite kills. That is the reason for your gap right there.

I play in EU server, this is my true face

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Daboluo-1891/
Reply Quote
BiS will be business as usual. It's just poor players will even less means to acquire them.
Which means less gold they will have to purchase the wares on the AH placed there by AH vendors/flippers and botters?

Your concern is not to do with the players, it's all about what you will make from the AH. Why do AH vendors always try to disguise their true motivations?
Reply Quote

While I agree with some of your post, I'm not sure what you're on about with patches "hurting" AH users. 1.0.7 Will not affect the AH in the slightest. No patch ever will because the game's main mechanic--YOU KNOW, LOOT--CENTERS ON THE AH. These new craft items will have little to no effect on the AH. BiS will always most easily be available on the AH. Business as usual. The market for middle tier gear isn't declining because of patches, it's declining because as people play the game, they find/inherit that stuff anyway and there are fewer and fewer new players getting the game who need that type of gear.

A gear needn't be BiS to affect the economy. It just has to be used by someone. If enough people use said gear (BiS or not), the demand for farmed gear goes down. 1.07 will simply adjust the equilibrium downwards for any gear in competition with the new items, and that will be mostly mid and low tier items. Their values are about to get crushed some more, which leads to exactly what the OP said: a widening of the rich and poor gap.

The middle and lower tiers got crushed with the patches. There was a stark and immediate effect when they drastically increased drop rates. The prices on all but BiS items bottomed out when everything rolled lvl63 affixes. Ring prices tanked when they introduced hellfires.

BiS will be business as usual. It's just poor players will even less means to acquire them.

OK, so let's say these crafted items affect the AH economy, so what? What's changed? A BiS item at 500 million opening bid is just as unreachable to the average player as one that's 2 billion. NOTHING CHANGES.

I posit the market for rings, bracers, gloves, etc. bottomed out when people figured out there are only 3 or 4 stats that even matter. Rings bottomed out not because of hellfire, but because anything that doesn't have CC, CD, main stat and vit are literally good for nothing. Same with bracers, gloves and amulets.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]