Diablo® III

Upgrading and how it could save diablo3

Why does itemization suck???
Simply because there is a horde of people playing diablo and there are no equipment sinks. This means that all the good equipments are staying in the economy, while the crap gets salvaged/sold to npc. Once that good gear becomes standard, a new harder to obtain gear becomes standard, and the tier of acceptable gear keeps getting pushed towards perfect drops which are extremely rare.

How to fix this??
Add more consistent drops. At the moment there is too many variables to make a gear acceptable. Not only do you have to roll the desirable stats but you also have to roll good values in those stats. It works out that it takes about 2100 gloves to roll your main stat + trifecta(assuming odds are equal) but actually getting high values makes it even more rare. So it would probably be more 10,000 gloves before you reach good trifecta glove.
Most armors are like this, depending on what type of armor depends on what the desired stats are and the values they need to roll to be deemed worthy.
What if instead we made the values of these rolls more consistent, lets say that items would always roll in the top 10% values. This would mean that people would find alot more desirable gears. Yes certain gears would still be extremely rare bc you need 4 or more high stats but over all i feel people would feel that farming actually yielded some decent drops.

Your saying flood the market with good gears?
No not at all, this is where upgrading comes into play. Add a moderate chance for equipment to break when upgrading. This would change BiS from finding that 1 in a million drop to being able to upgrade that item to a high tier.

This means players would see alot more desirable items drop and equipment would be leaving the economy rather quickly.

Upgrading design.
I was thinking something along the lines of upgrade lvl x1% to all atrributes on that item.
EG +4 would make that item 10% better, +10 would make that item 55% better
Upgrading Regeants.
I can see a huge excess of demonic essence, so why not use that. I think a good cost would be 1xupgrade lvl. eg +4 would require 4 essence and +8 would require 8. You could also add fiery brimstones to later upgrades to make them slightly more challenging.
Upgrading Chances.
Up to +4 is safe, meaning that all gear can reach 10% bonus without breaking
+5-7 is a 50% success and 50% chance to break. This means only 1/8 armors will make +7
+8-9 should be like 20-30%. At 20% it would be about 1/200 making it to +9, at 30% 1/72 for +9
+10 should be 10%.

TL/DR
Less itemization and better loot rewards but they need to be upgraded to be worthwhile.

Comments, thoughts?
Reply Quote
I would rather the tier upgrade system similar to Diablo II

I want to upgrade all my weapons and armor to lv63 tier
Reply Quote

With the changes to inferno, tier has very little effect on equipments. All tiers that drop in inferno are able to roll the same stats, only difference is the base armor/dmg values of that item which doesnt effect jewelry and offhands(other then shield).
Reply Quote
Upgrading design.
I was thinking something along the lines of upgrade lvl x1% to all atrributes on that item.
Upgrading Regeants.
I can see a huge excess of demonic essence, so why not use that. I think a good cost would be 1xupgrade lvl. eg +4 would require 4 essence and +8 would require 8. You could also add fiery brimstones to later upgrades to make them slightly more challenging.
Upgrading Chances.
+5-7 is a 50% success and 50% chance to break. This means only 1/8 armors will make +7
+8-9 should be like 20-30%. At 20% it would be about 1/200 making it to +9, at 30% 1/72 for +9
+10 should be 10%.

Ok guy don't act like you came up with this! This is how Ragnarok Online does their item upgrading. This is diablo not wow, not any other game, and diablo has always been flooded with useless and not so useless items. If they were to change the way items work then it wouldn't be Diablo!
Edited by DustyBottoms#1991 on 1/16/2013 3:23 PM PST
Reply Quote

With the changes to inferno, tier has very little effect on equipments. All tiers that drop in inferno are able to roll the same stats, only difference is the base armor/dmg values of that item which doesnt effect jewelry and offhands(other then shield).

Yes and with the upgrade system I would like rolls on items to relate to ilvl and lower ilvl items to drop with the possibility to get good affix rolls and be upgraded to top tier just like Diablo II. That system was awesome.
Reply Quote
Upgrading design.
Upgrading Regeants.
Upgrading Chances.
+10 should be 10%.

Ok guy don't act like you came up with this! This is how Ragnarok Online does their item upgrading. This is diablo not wow not any other game and diablo has always been flooded with useless and not so useless items. If they were to change the way items work then it would'nt be Diablo!

Well you are correct, i did steal the success/fail design from ragnarok. But i do think it is appropriate for D3. It's a great upgrade design, it allows large volumes of gear to enter the game without destroying there base value.
Also hate to break it to you, but this aint d2, people got to stop assuming that new ideas cant happen because this is diablo.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Could work. For myself, I'd prefer ladders and a reason to constantly reroll.
Reply Quote
Upgrading design.
Upgrading Regeants.
Upgrading Chances.
+10 should be 10%.

Ok guy don't act like you came up with this! This is how Ragnarok Online does their item upgrading. This is diablo not wow not any other game and diablo has always been flooded with useless and not so useless items. If they were to change the way items work then it would'nt be Diablo!

Well you are correct, i did steal the success/fail design from ragnarok. But i do think it is appropriate for D3. It's a great upgrade design, it allows large volumes of gear to enter the game without destroying there base value.
Also hate to break it to you, but this aint d2, people got to stop assuming that new ideas cant happen because this is diablo.

I am not refereing to D2 I am refereing to all diablo games and this is how diablo has been with items which made the game unique.
Reply Quote
[quote]

Oh gee whatever would make fans of the Diablo series think a unique concept that everyone enjoyed from their previous games would make it into the sequel instead of a rip from a f2p asian grinding MMORPG?

Well thanks to the AH, alot of stuff from D2 would never work in this game so new ideas are needed.

If you want D2 and all its greatness, head back over there. Servers are still live.
Reply Quote
I still play!!!!!!!!!!!! D2 for life!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote

Oh gee whatever would make fans of the Diablo series think a unique concept that everyone enjoyed from their previous games would make it into the sequel instead of a rip from a f2p asian grinding MMORPG?

Well thanks to the AH, alot of stuff from D2 would never work in this game so new ideas are needed.

If you want D2 and all its greatness, head back over there. Servers are still live.

I don't want D2 I want a proper successor and D2 is all but dead so no thanks.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 03:35 PMPosted by DustyBottoms
I still play!!!!!!!!!!!! D2 for life!!!!!!!!!!

I quit a few months ago there just isn't enough activity after over a decade who would have thought
Reply Quote

I am not refereing to D2 I am refereing to all diablo games and this is how diablo has been with items which made the game unique.

They also didnt have the AH or equipment based gameplay.
How about this, stop looking at previous diablo games as your reference and look diablo3 as a game in its own league. Other then gameplay its nothing like the first 2.
Reply Quote
I would hate it, I hate it in all games. Enchants are one thing, But full upgrades, Have you played Torchlight 1, or Hell gate, or any other game? Nothing good will drop ever, only things good will be the upgraded item. At least for torchlight as an example, Enchanting became a way to progress, through the bottomless dungeon. I just did not like that manner of progression. Especially if the game was online, like this game is. The end goal will really be further of a grind. I loved D2 because, The sockets added the right amount of Customization/progress, But if a white item that can be upgraded can become the best item in the game, the game will be not an item hunt it will be more or less a Material, or gold hunt than the game already is. To me you should be able to enchant via the mystic, But not to the point that it is endless, It needs to be limited to at most 3 enchants on an item or upgrades, to keep the item drops worth something, and not a game of leveling your items.

I don't want D2 I want a proper successor and D2 is all but dead so no thanks.
That was called Lord of destruction, and now we are at a better game called D3 it is its own game. Blizzard is not going to be like Activision, and release the same game only changed a bit. Blizzard is in the domain of Valve, epic, and nintendo(only on most of their games, New Super Mario Brothers not so much.). I'm sure i'm missing some smaller companies. Blizzard and the domain Creates the generation!
Edited by Gunghoe#1987 on 1/16/2013 3:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 03:49 PMPosted by Gunghoe
That was called Lord of destruction

Notice how I didn't say D2 classic I just said D2 which could very well incorporate the Lord of Destruction xpac considering, you know, the vast majority that played D2 played LoD as well.

Blizzard is not going to be like Activision, and release the same game only changed a bit

Nope they released a rehashed version of the same game with everything that made the previous version compelling stripped out and didn't replace those systems with anything at all.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592912754

How about the proposal in the thread above? roll 2 of any legendary into a new version of that legendary. Roll 3-5 legendaries into one new one.

Takes items out of the economy, gives use to every legendary, and increases the overall quality of everyone's items - both rich and poor.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 04:27 PMPosted by DeadRu

I quit a few months ago there just isn't enough activity after over a decade who would have thought

too bad you did not quit the forums at the same time. But /ignore puts you on the shelf with all the other quitters.

Oh look I have a follower now.

How are you not banned from the forums? All you do is troll and harass people.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

too bad you did not quit the forums at the same time. But /ignore puts you on the shelf with all the other quitters.

Oh look I have a follower now.

How are you not banned from the forums? All you do is troll and harass people.

He trolls and harasses people who aren't so desperately in love with Blizzard as he. Go figure.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]