Diablo® III

What D2 had that D3 does not.

As usual both sides in these discussions kinda lose track of what the core issue is.

Its not that people can't find good items. Well it kinda is but mostly its not. There is no sense of achievement to be had. Even if you do somehow miraculously manage to find a godly item in D3 what do you get? A few thousand more damage? A hundred more resist? A higher chance to crit? This is linear unimaginative design. It makes for a boring game when you know you're probably better off with a higher gold drop rate than a mf rate. So you can just buy the damn upgrade.
In D2 if you grinded for hours you might have been lucky enough to find that last item that you wanted or another piece to trade with to work towards said item. I can remember trading for my "faith bow". It was fantastic, now my amazon could raise her own company of undead tanks.
It made the build fun. It changed the game. In Diablo 3 you'll never ever have beyond whats in your skillset. Thats it. Theres nothing else.

I don't know why people keep talking about the current skill setup as though its "dynamic" or freely being able to test different "builds". I couldn't disagree more. Theres no consequences at all. Part of the fun of building a character in D2 was when you got it right. When the character you customized works like you imagined it would. In D3 this doesnt exist. Does this skill set up work? No? No problem bro, just change them all. Hey presto, insta new character. This to my mind, and im sure plenty of other detracts from the fun. Theres nothing else to do once you hit 60 except grind for stat upgrades(paragon/items). I seriously cant see how anyone could find this fun.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 06:20 AMPosted by justhackitup
go to D2 as it was the 1st 8 months and see how it really was. D2 is around 10+ years . this game was patched to death and big DLC

So already seeing what a completed game looks like after being modified for 10 years, don't you think they should have known what to do in this game instead of making mistake after mistake and going through it all over again? :/

This is another thing that gets me. Why is this point consistently brought up? I don't understand.
D2 was one of the most popular games of all time for a reason. It boggles the mind.
D3 team took one look at it and thought they knew better. They had everything they needed.

All they had to do was improve on the bits that D2 needed improving on, keep the core character building and itemization intact, add a few new characters, keep the dark atmosphere and make a simple enough story that wasn't overbearingly annoying, insulting or in your face at all times and they were golden. Instead they threw it all in the bin.

They scrapped the heart of D2 besides the clicking on monsters bit and sold us a game almost devoid of content by comparison.
Reply Quote
01/13/2013 07:06 PMPosted by Why
you dps is next to nothing

Here is the problem!
Reply Quote
* Teleport to any act (made Sanctuary feel bigger and non-linear)
* Great story-telling (plus characters spoke in past tense when coming back to previous acts)
* Deckard Cain :( and more dynamic characters with their own storyline
* Light Radius - Felt darker yet still
* Was funnier - in typical great Blizzard fashion
* Dynamic weather
* Day/night
* Better music
* Dual Weapon spec / weapon swap
* Larger multiplayer
* Custom games
* Open servers; TCP/IP games
* Battlenet lobby
* Item crafting/customisation (gems, jewels, runes; charms)
* Any class, any weapon (e.g. Barbs with bows)
* Other class ability procs on weapons (e.g. frost nova great sword; worked with hirelings)
* White items still have some play value, not junk as is now
* Felt more epic due to the correct screen time of Tyrael and other in-game angels
* More satisfying levelling (due to skill trees)
* Greater mob density
* Necomancer and Paladin :(
* more stash room (per character); also a negative

So much more I can't recall now.
Reply Quote
good god this is a old agruement while very true....!@#$ about it damn.....
Reply Quote
id all, id all and lemme see what am i forgeting ...o yea id all
p.s. also 4v4+ would b nice
Reply Quote
Wait... I know this one!

A lot more fanboys that would make love to it if they could?

Play a game for 12 years... then want the exact same game with more polished graphics... do you still live with your parents too?

This game at release was a shell... period. With community input, patches and hopefully a game changing expansion this game has more potential than D2 ever had.

Say what you want about the D3 developers and how great the D2 developers were. If Hellgate or TL2 were any good you'd be playing them and not QQ'ing here.

I'm all for a different game and think threads like these aren't constructive at all. They should be on some fanboy site where they belong. People who start them should be banned... so they can go back and re-re-re-relive their D2 fantasies.

The problems D3 has basically revolve around the Auction Houses. That's probably some corporate design and not anything to do with the developers. "Make it work or get fired." Anyone that has worked for a corporation in the last 10 years should know what those scenes are like now. Smaller budgets... more work... fewer people. Bigger bonus for CEO.

Just like these developers gave you a break... from playing an old a*s game that you should have set down years ago. Give them a chance to finish their game. You didn't buy D2 because you thought it was going to be exactly like D1... baka.

Now... where was I?... Oh yeah... pretending stupid people didn't exist. Now I'll need something else to do.
Reply Quote
Goddammit people. Stop arguing that Diablo 2 sucked when it first came out. Stop arguing that Diablo 2 didn't get good until they patched the hell out of it. BLIZZARD SHOULD HAVE LEARNED SOMETHING FROM DIABLO 2. Diablo 3 isn't Blizzards first attempt at the ARPG genre, they freakin' perfected the genre, and then they crapped all over it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
i couldnt agree with this more.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 11:16 AMPosted by Friz
BLIZZARD SHOULD HAVE LEARNED SOMETHING FROM DIABLO 2. Diablo 3 isn't Blizzards first attempt at the ARPG genre, they freakin' perfected the genre, and then they crapped all over it.
Reply Quote
Wait... I know this one!

A lot more fanboys that would make love to it if they could?

Play a game for 12 years... then want the exact same game with more polished graphics... do you still live with your parents too?

This game at release was a shell... period. With community input, patches and hopefully a game changing expansion this game has more potential than D2 ever had.

Say what you want about the D3 developers and how great the D2 developers were. If Hellgate or TL2 were any good you'd be playing them and not QQ'ing here.

I'm all for a different game and think threads like these aren't constructive at all. They should be on some fanboy site where they belong. People who start them should be banned... so they can go back and re-re-re-relive their D2 fantasies.

The problems D3 has basically revolve around the Auction Houses. That's probably some corporate design and not anything to do with the developers. "Make it work or get fired." Anyone that has worked for a corporation in the last 10 years should know what those scenes are like now. Smaller budgets... more work... fewer people. Bigger bonus for CEO.

Just like these developers gave you a break... from playing an old a*s game that you should have set down years ago. Give them a chance to finish their game. You didn't buy D2 because you thought it was going to be exactly like D1... baka.

Now... where was I?... Oh yeah... pretending stupid people didn't exist. Now I'll need something else to do.

12 years to make a game thats worse then both its previous games on launch??? it should have been what d2 was + better....
Reply Quote
In my experience if you want to loot hunt d3 offers more hunting.
Reply Quote
You people complaining about d2 being so better than d3 are so clueless. D2 is easy mode, I could get a perfect geared char from scratch in a week. D3 requires much more investement to progress and this is what makes it fun to me. As a player who invest alot of time in gamming, I really dislike people that are able to get as strong as me after a few hours of gamming (100ish).

Dueling in D2 was an enigma fest, everyone teleporting anywhere and shooting the same 2 spells all around the place hoping to 1shot somebody as long as they are not wearing sorb gear.
The classes where not balanced at all: you bring your FOH paladin. Fine, i'll get my lightning sorb WW barb gg. The PvP is not even born yet in d3 that you are starting to complain.

And don't come and tell me that blahblahblah RMAH stuff , d2 also had 3rd party websites that could easily provide anyone the end game gear.
Reply Quote
YO!

PVP I tried it, no team? lol bliz. its called 2v2, 1v2, 1v3 LEARN about IT please
Reply Quote
01/13/2013 07:31 PMPosted by Mendacium
go to D2 as it was the 1st 8 months and see how it really was. D2 is around 10+ years . this game was patched to death and big DLC

This is completely and utterly illogical. This is a sequel developed by the same game company...it's not like they are starting from scratch. Also, the features mentioned in the above post, namely that skill dps was independent of weapon dps, was in D2 upon initial release. Similarly, such a feature is commonplace is all other ARPGs as it is the easiest way to promote itemization.

Another FYI, D2: LOD was release 1 year after initial release, incorporating most of the enhancements that made that game a decade+ success. It didn't take 10 years to "fix" that game, so your reply is false on multiple fronts.

Bear in mind that D3 does NOT have the D2 programming team on it, as they left Blizzard years ago. D3 is programmed by WoW designers (as far as I know), though they've done a decent job of making a sequel with the "Diablo" feel to it. I think the story is a bit lacking, but that's just my opinion (as in, they've ran out of ideas with the original Prime Evils having been dealt with in D2). Anyways, just my 2 cents.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I'll take a remastered Diablo 2 any day over this game.

Act 4 is about 20 minutes if you want to do it quickly, what a shame.

Ya and a botted baal run took minutes ,whats your point?

01/13/2013 08:07 PMPosted by LaZ
Ya those barbs were godly in D2 with no gear...

AHs removing the point of the loot hunt and the removal of character customization utterly and completely mutilated Diablo in my opinion. Please, please do something, dear Blizzard :(

Why do you think we have the ah's. My guess is that because they had to remove named games because they were abused by the botters,dupers,hackers and exploiters we lost trade game and the ah helps negate that.

As for the rmah, whats is the big deal. We had players buying from 3rd party sites and getting an advantage over legit players. The rmah just leveled the playing field. Nobody that used the rmah has had their account compromised by third party site hackers.

His remarks show just how little some understand what was happening in D2 and why things were not carried over to D3.

Step one - why remove features that legitimate players loved and made the game social simply because they couldn't get rid of botters and dupers, which still plague the game in D3.

Are you REALLY saying the AH helps negates the downsides of public games and the lobby? Really dude?

Step two - why build the atrocious concept on pay/cheat-to-win into a game itself? If anyone's naive enough to think that this doesn't exponentially escalate the issue and monetize every concept in the game, I really don't know what to say.

Why should Blizzard care about the account security of people who made the conscious decision to cheat? It's not as if the poor sops who decided to cheat had no idea what they were doing. Why should we have an entire system designed just so select few cheats have a safe place to do it, whilst also providing botters/gold-farmers with a more convenient platform from which to work?

Ah, that's right - $$.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]